Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
In the 90s big monitors had speakers on the sides.

packard_bell.gif

Edit: Apologies for the worst post of all time, here is a picture.

domhal fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 25, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone else watched this "The Way" thing on BBC iPlayer? Some sort of revolution in Port Talbot. Michael Sheen / Adam Curtis thing.
Seems a bit bonkers but I was multitasking. I think I'll have to watch it again (only 3 episodes) and concentrate.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

domhal posted:

In the 90s big monitors had speakers on the sides.

packard_bell.gif

My big 90s monitor was a 27" Sony Trinitron flat-screen CRT. If that thing had had speakers its weight would have been enough that I think it would have killed a grown man who tried to lift it.

It's in the attic at my mum's house and I sometimes think about using it for some retro gaming setup, but then the thought of my mid-40s body trying to carry it down a stepladder puts that idea to rest.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NORMAN GO ON THE HOME COMPUTER AND PLACE A CLASSIFIED ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB FOR CECIL AND CECILLY'S OLD HOME COMPUTER'S VISUAL DISPLAY UNIT, NORMAN.

IT HASN'T BEEN USED SINCE WILLS AND KATE WERE WED, NORMAN!

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, NORMAN, IT IS A VISION MASTER!!!!!!!!!!! IT SHOULD FETCH AT LEAST FIFTY POUNDS, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOW IT OFF IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, NORMAN, MAKE IT DISPLAY SOME PHOTOGRAPHS FROM OUR HOLIDAYS!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30540793...ABk9SR6SejZu8Yw

crispix fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Feb 25, 2024

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Guavanaut posted:

I suppose with TV being an offshoot of radio and everyone since John Logie Baird deciding it should come with speakers inside, all the equipment and market expectation is just set up that way, even if the speakers nowadays are just the ceramic disks you got in musical cards superglued to the inside of the bottom of the case.

Maybe if they called them 'big monitors' instead.

In the TV buying thread on the IYG forum, without fail, every week someone will ask for recommendations for buying a new TV, who when presented with a bunch of options will ask "can't I just buy a TV without all those Smart Features?"
The reasoning is that, logically if a TV has all these features and costs X, then a TV without them would cost less.

And every time this is asked, the explanation is given that, no most manufacturers don't sell TV's without those features.

The only ones who do sell them for crazy high prices (presumably to Businesses that just want to display their corporate logos on them all day) or PC Monitors. Both sets come without speakers, now that I think of it.

It seems that what you want is regarded as a deluxe feature and not "can I buy a lesser version of the thing I want and also make it cheaper."

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

crispix posted:

NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NORMAN GO ON THE HOME COMPUTER AND PLACE A CLASSIFIED ON THE WORLD WIDE WEB FOR CECIL AND CECILLY'S OLD HOME COMPUTER'S VISUAL DISPLAY UNIT, NORMAN.

IT HASN'T BEEN USED SINCE WILLS AND KATE WERE WED, NORMAN!

THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH IT, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT IS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, NORMAN, IT IS A VISION MASTER!!!!!!!!!!! IT SHOULD FETCH AT LEAST FIFTY POUNDS, NORMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SHOW IT OFF IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, NORMAN, MAKE IT DISPLAY SOME PICTURES FROM OUR HOLIDAYS!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30540793...ABk9SR6SejZu8Yw

lol incredible stuff

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I believe there is actually a market for good quality CRTs in working order these days since retro gaming nerds want to use them to give their pixels that nice blurry look.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i actually happened to be looking at monitors when i checked the thread lol

i want a small monitor (21" or smaller) that can sit portrait on its stand

preferably white case

this is hard to find :/

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Good grief, what happened to making your own music while you shower??

Not all of us can have beans for breakfast every day

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

The Question IRL posted:

In the TV buying thread on the IYG forum, without fail, every week someone will ask for recommendations for buying a new TV, who when presented with a bunch of options will ask "can't I just buy a TV without all those Smart Features?"
The reasoning is that, logically if a TV has all these features and costs X, then a TV without them would cost less.

This is what puts me off from replacing my 12 year old TV: I don't want something that's forever showing me tailored unskippable adverts, or downloading a massive update without asking, when there's something else I want to be doing with it. I just want a TV that shows me moving pictures, as and when I want it to.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Tesseraction posted:

Pulling aside the curtain a little here I had a traumatic experience as a child that gives me extreme performance anxiety about being heard singing.

Some might say it's a natural mechanism to protect others' ears, but nevertheless I cannot sing if there's the chance that someone's listening.

This is exactly me.

Having kids has helped me get over The Fear a tiny bit (because you aren't allowed NOT to sing Wind the Bobbin Up or The Wheels On The Bus when the occasion demands it) but I envy anybody who can belt out a tune.

SE Watering
Aug 8, 2023

My friend had a 17" one of them is about 1996. Was attached to the fastet PC i'd ever seen at the time. Pentium 166MHz. 32MB RAM!. Can't remember the Gfx card, might have meen a Matrox Millennium. So many fps in top-down gta.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Pistol_Pete posted:

This is what puts me off from replacing my 12 year old TV: I don't want something that's forever showing me tailored unskippable adverts, or downloading a massive update without asking, when there's something else I want to be doing with it. I just want a TV that shows me moving pictures, as and when I want it to.

You don't have to connect your smart TV to the internet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm buying a TV to display PlayStation images and nothing else. (Well also Nintendo Switch images.) No need to care if it has other streamy weamy poo poo I just use my PC for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

big scary monsters posted:

I believe there is actually a market for good quality CRTs in working order these days since retro gaming nerds want to use them to give their pixels that nice blurry look.
And lightgun games.

You can actually hack the old NES lightgun games to work on a flatscreen, because all they do is replace the duck with a white box, so all you need to do is account for the time delay flats introduce, but those new fancy SNES and Mega Drive lightgun games actually rely on an electron beam sweeping back and forth thousands of times a second, so there's no way I know of to do them on non-CRTs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Going to sell add-on electron beams for your flatscreen TV. Will make millions and I am sure there can be no downsides.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

crispix posted:

i actually happened to be looking at monitors when i checked the thread lol

i want a small monitor (21" or smaller) that can sit portrait on its stand

preferably white case

this is hard to find :/

This is my solution to the exact same dilemma but with a 23" monitor.

A tabletop easel (£7.99 IIRC) that if I need the monitor portrait, I just turn it and put it on the easel. It was considerably cheaper than buying a monitor that could do landscape or portrait. (Last bought a monitor 8 years ago).

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

And every time this is asked, the explanation is given that, no most manufacturers don't sell TV's without those features.

The only ones who do sell them for crazy high prices (presumably to Businesses that just want to display their corporate logos on them all day) or PC Monitors. Both sets come without speakers, now that I think of it.

It seems that what you want is regarded as a deluxe feature and not "can I buy a lesser version of the thing I want and also make it cheaper."

I would be asking for the tv that lets me disable as many features as possible while still being a tv.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

A lot of modern Dells rotate for the ease of plugging cables in, so there's always that.

Not that you go to Dell for high quality monitors, but they're decent enough.

Actually now I think about it how old is my computer monitor? Oh 2018. Meh, it's kinda lovely but I'll keep it for now.

Part of the problem is I don't care about going above 1080. I'm not using a gently caress-off huge screen so I won't notice and frankly it's a waste of resources to get to 4K let alone 8K and the main thing that doing so will cause is your FPS to drop below 60.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just Another Lurker posted:

I would be asking for the tv that lets me disable as many features as possible while still being a tv.

Technically any rectangle displaying an image is tele-vision. So printing something on A4 and sticking it on the wall across the room suffices. You're welcome for the savings I have provided you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Question IRL posted:

I suppose the one advantage of having internal TV speakers is that it makes debugging issues easier.

No sound: Something wrong with the stream or media file
Sounds like someone attempting to play Bach by way of a whistle up their arse: Soundbar disconnected and switched to internal speakers

But yes if the manufacturers could save a penny by not fitting speakers they would, so I think the main reason must be that everyone expects speakers.
It may change, as when everyone expected a tape cassette radio in a car.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I have never had a smart tv that threw a bunch of bullshit in my face unless someone accidentally hit one of the giant streaming service branded buttons on the remote, which understandably does it because it thinks you want to see a bunch of streaming service poo poo.

People wildly overstate how in-your-face smart tv poo poo is imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

And frankly you're more likely to get the unpleasant poo poo by using a web browser without an adblocker. YouTube without adblock is loving interminable.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

Technically any rectangle displaying an image is tele-vision. So printing something on A4 and sticking it on the wall across the room suffices. You're welcome for the savings I have provided you.

But if i do that the tv license man will get me!!! :derp:

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I have no intention of replacing my 12 year old TV, mostly because it's a 3DTV and I am apparently one of the few people that seemingly enjoys 3D content still.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

And lightgun games.

You can actually hack the old NES lightgun games to work on a flatscreen, because all they do is replace the duck with a white box, so all you need to do is account for the time delay flats introduce, but those new fancy SNES and Mega Drive lightgun games actually rely on an electron beam sweeping back and forth thousands of times a second, so there's no way I know of to do them on non-CRTs.

There’s no satisfying way of doing it with original hardware but emulation or FPGA poo poo can use these which are a lot of fun.

They basically mount a camera in the gun and put a border around the display so it can calculate the angle you’re aiming along. Way better than the competing Wii-pointer style bullshit where you’re not aiming the gun but instead basically just driving a cursor around the screen.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My eyes have built in antialiasing so I don't need more than 1080 ps.

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else watched this "The Way" thing on BBC iPlayer? Some sort of revolution in Port Talbot. Michael Sheen / Adam Curtis thing.
Seems a bit bonkers but I was multitasking. I think I'll have to watch it again (only 3 episodes) and concentrate.

Just saw the first episode. Thought it was p. Good.
I liked the despair in the dad as poo poo got more and more out of control.
Adam Curtis style archive footage being cut into it was nice visually too

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

My eyes have built in antialiasing so I don't need more than 1080 ps.

Is there anyone in this thread who isn't four-eyed? I figured it was a pre-requisite for being a goon.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
There's a small window every day where I have perfect unblurred vision

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

just stay there and look through it all the time then, bing bong so simple

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who isn't four-eyed? I figured it was a pre-requisite for being a goon.

Technically I don't need glasses, but I am slightly short sighted.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

There's a small window every day where I have perfect unblurred vision

Is this part of your groverhaus recreation?

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I’ve needed glasses but I don’t wear them because I have a giant head and they’re uncomfortable. I just learned to read blurry instead :smuggo:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pistol_Pete posted:

It feels somewhat silly to have to solve the problem with another box, but I plugged my smart TV into an Nvidia Shield TV Pro and use that as my interface rather than whatever the TV runs. TV doesn't need an internet connection to phone home with since it's now just a dumb screen, and the Shield runs Android so you can do basically what you like with it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The old 1080p Nvidia Shield is what I used for box in the makeshift bedroom TV. Gets netflix, gets youtube, can connect to plex server. Don't really need more than that.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DreddyMatt posted:

You don't have to connect your smart TV to the internet

Some will automatically piggyback on any wifi signal in range, or at least that's what YOSPOS tells me

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe if they called them 'big monitors' instead.
I hate smart TV poo poo enough that I did purchase a Big Format Gaming Display. It cost about 5 times as much as an equivalent smart TV but it’s extremely nice to just have a loving screen without any slow bloaty added bullshit.

It also helps I’m a big enough nerd that my gaming PC is hooked up to it and does all the living room media rather than any actual live TV input.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

get a samsung tv because the bespoke software on it is such garbage it’s too much effort for endless app updates unlike android tvs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
I like it when the motion smoothing and adaptive brightness poo poo is in some counter intuitive place that takes ages to find and disable and every few weeks the iPlayer app crashes the TV and it forgets all its settings and you have to do it all over again. Wait no, I hate that.

Not replacing it though I only upgrade these things when they break, and "technically it never really worked" doesn't count