Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Warbadger posted:

Also turrets are worse than useless because they all seem to prioritize shooting at the neverending stream of dropships they can't damage, or (mortars) will spend most of the game blowing up the evacuees or blowing up your own team while trying to hit the little jetpack guys.

Do dropships have more HP on harder difficulties? Rocket turrets will actually shoot them down in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

ya, 90% of the time my gatling turret will waste all of its ammo shooting drop ships. Dont even bother bringing them on bot missions anymore

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I really want is for resupply calldowns to have map icons, some rando calls down a resupply in the middle of nowhere and something runs through it and sends the packs scattered on the ground, good luck finding any.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shooting down dropships is fine in theory but in reality they tend to drop their payload before bring destroyed and then crash 50 meters away, often on top of you.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Also the robots that land call in more dropships lmao, seeing a bunch of flares in the sky during a defense machine really makes you want to give up

But yeah also shooting down dropships is satisfying but doesnt seem to actually DO anything.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

In my experience the robot evac missions are doable but only if your whole team is competent and geared up appropriately. The problem is they have basically no downscaling for difficulty 2 or 3 so new players just get ground to a pulp by the overwhelming tide of continuous reinforcements.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Am I nuts or are the robots way harder at difficulty 5 than 6 or 7 because without tanks as a potential spawn you just get a ton of hulks, which is way worse

Two shots with the anti material rifle in their big red glowing eye is the best way to heal with hulks until you get the rail gun.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

i don't bother doing defense extract missions past challenging, in which if everyone is taking mortars and sentries then it's a cake walk.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Away all Goats posted:

Two shots with the anti material rifle in their big red glowing eye is the best way to heal with hulks until you get the rail gun.

Starting to really hate that sight on the AMR. Just give me a classic, thin + crosshair, not that bulky [_] box. Also I swear the sight is off at longer distances.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Im honestly just tired of bot defend operations. There are 2 mission types, kill X amount of bots and extract, that have like 4 or 5 static maps in between them. And they are in every defend campaign.

The proc gen maps are so much more fun to play.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The 15 minute kill all you can while on a hill are the best missions IMO. Set up mortars and turrets everywhere and just call all the air strikes. Time them well and it is just pure destruction.

Also setting up mines at entry points is cool and good.

Also because you can get in and out and they are great quick-play engagements.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Starting to really hate that sight on the AMR. Just give me a classic, thin + crosshair, not that bulky [_] box. Also I swear the sight is off at longer distances.

The sights in this game def need work, on some darker maps its impossible to use them bc you can't see anything ADS

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Dyz posted:

Im honestly just tired of bot defend operations. There are 2 mission types, kill X amount of bots and extract, that have like 4 or 5 static maps in between them. And they are in every defend campaign.

The proc gen maps are so much more fun to play.

Can't get a new general order til the defense maps are done

Can't get the defense order done because they maps are annoying to do, leading to low participation.

Low participation means that those who try to force a win do so in vain because the planet falls anyways.

Planets falling despite the efforts of those actually trying to win means we can't get the defense order done.

It'll just time out into failure eventually but hopefully the devs change it so that we only need to defend one or two planets per order rather than a week. Server issues are one thing but most people are just grinding out bugs because it's easier.

e. Like if I wanted to put my nose to the grindstone again for these missions then I would look at this map and ask why I would even bother.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 25, 2024

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It might be actually sighted at the Xm distance you set in the weapon wheel menu.

I don't know if the game is that sophisticated or simulationist

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

The sighting range doesn't seem to actually change what your scope looks like, at least not on the dmr I usually run

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man I *just* realized that when shooting the vents with the autocannon you can hit the sorta flap that sicks up and it destroys it. I kept thinking I had to get a straight shot into the chute but it works well if you can hit the flap. Not sure if it's banking it in at that angle or what but it works great.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

dialhforhero posted:

The 15 minute kill all you can while on a hill are the best missions IMO. Set up mortars and turrets everywhere and just call all the air strikes. Time them well and it is just pure destruction.

A 15 minute defense mission seems like it would be pretty cool. Unfortunately all of the ones I do wind up just being two or three, and that gets old really fast.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Can't get a new general order til the defense maps are done

Can't get the defense order done because they maps are annoying to do, leading to low participation.

Low participation means that those who try to force a win do so in vain because the planet falls anyways.

Planets falling despite the efforts of those actually trying to win means we can't get the defense order done.

It'll just time out into failure eventually but hopefully the devs change it so that we only need to defend one or two planets per order rather than a week. Server issues are one thing but most people are just grinding out bugs because it's easier.

Or instead of reducing the number of planets needed they could just make the defense mission pool not include evacuate civilians 100% of the time and exterminate defense 50%. I'd gladly be doing the robot defense operations if they could be data retrieval and the ICBM one and whatever other mission types probably exist in those campaigns that you just never see.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

ICBM/Intel and other maps are way more interesting and it's clear the best missions (IE most of them) take heavy advantage of the procgen terrain and how you aren't stuck between either doing nothing or under so much absurd pressure a single failure ends the mission.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Pharmaskittle posted:

The sighting range doesn't seem to actually change what your scope looks like, at least not on the dmr I usually run
The scope overlay itself doesn't change, but scoped-in FOV/zoom does. Try switching between 50m and 200m with the AMR to clearly see the difference.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

explosivo posted:

Man I *just* realized that when shooting the vents with the autocannon you can hit the sorta flap that sicks up and it destroys it. I kept thinking I had to get a straight shot into the chute but it works well if you can hit the flap. Not sure if it's banking it in at that angle or what but it works great.

The vent hatch covers are heavy armor so the autocannon round deflects… straight into the fabricator.

edgar_
Sep 4, 2003

kampen mot gud og hvite krist er i gang
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to come from behind in an evacuation mission or are you just hosed? The game doesn’t seem to slow down so you just respawn into like 50 terminators who vaporize you instantly and then more dropships behind them

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The vent hatch covers are heavy armor so the autocannon round deflects… straight into the fabricator.

Robo-ert Eidschun is going to get raked over the coals for that desig back on their robo-home planet.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Don't stand directly in front of the evac ship when its landing.

Seriously, just don't. :shepface:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

edgar_ posted:

Is there any way to come from behind in an evacuation mission or are you just hosed? The game doesn’t seem to slow down so you just respawn into like 50 terminators who vaporize you instantly and then more dropships behind them

If you have the time and lives for it, it IS possible to kite the majority of the robots out of the compound - but that only gets you breathing room for maybe one wave of extracts.

The big issue is which map you get - some planets get a very flat and open compound that makes the defense pretty much impossible.
Other planets get a compound with indestructible walls and only 4 entrances - this one is doable, because you can somewhat chokepoint the bots.

Any time the bots get up to your raised platform (where you should be deploying your mortars) it's pretty much GG because it's insanely difficult to re-establish control.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It would also be hella cool if they had a few modes like in Squad or HLL where it is anywhere from 16 people to 48 fighting one massive battle.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

edgar_ posted:

Orbital laser (it may take a few spawns to be able to get it off)

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

dialhforhero posted:

Those seem to be like 90% of the missions people run in quick play and they get dull pretty fast if anyone knows what they're doing at all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Away all Goats posted:

Those seem to be like 90% of the missions people run in quick play and they get dull pretty fast if anyone knows what they're doing at all.

I can't wait until those people have played for a hundred hours, unlocked all the warbond content and stratagems and destroyer upgrades and then basically immediately stop playing. Probably while complaining about a lack of content and how it should've been marked Early Access and not a launch title cause there isn't anything left to do.

(Except, ya know, play the game because its FUN?)

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

To be fair, the extracts (kill 150/whatever) take all of 2-3 minutes even at the highest difficulty, and are by far the fastest and easiest way to farm Medals and Req and XP. So it makes perfect sense for people to smash their faces against that for a handful of hours to hit level 20 so every stratagem and a decent chunk of their warbonds can be unlocked to achieve loadout flexibility.

At least you'll only ever get common samples on those missions no matter the difficulty, so eventually even the farmers will have to branch out and start playing "normal" missions to finish upgrading their SD.

Now the ones who keep farming nothing but extracts after level 20 without understanding why it was a good idea for a little while but not forever, are also the type who makes noise on social media about no content and dead game and will jump to their next FOTM soon enough. I blame content creators for this mindset, mostly. It's their job so of course they're gonna minmax and chase efficiency, which skews the impression of the game for those watching.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Make the 150 kills 500+ imo

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Make all the extract missions have the same intensity as bot defense missions. I want some last drop ship out of Saigon energy. Not standing around waiting for breaches for 3 minutes immediately blasting packs of poo poo into oblivion.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Had a great moment with a pubbie yesterday. I'm taking an outpost, but I do take a death and the pubbie is helpful enough to be nearby and they drop a redeploy beacon so I'm close to my stuff - nice!

Except when I go for my stuff, I notice that my railgun is missing. Looking around, I see that the pubbie has taken my *used* railgun and is using it to plink chaff robots.

I feel bad - I don't want them to have to put up with a *used* railgun, especially one that's probably caked with the blood of my previous Helldiver. I look at my cooldowns, and see that I can summon down another Railgun from on high. Great! I'll get them a fresh, new Railgun and take back my old, used one.

So I drop the beacon. Right on their feet. If they're in 3rd person view, they will definitely be able to see the giant blue beam peering up towards the sky, right at their feet.

Except I guess they're not in 3rd person view. They keep trying to plink garbage bots with the Railgun, merrily oblivious to the gift from Liberty Claus that's coming right for them.

Timer ends. Hellpod drops. Pubbie is crushed underneath the weight of its Liberty and Generosity.

I take the new railgun. The used one has a fair amount of spent ammo and it has the blood of multiple Helldivers caking it now.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ahh I thought that's what was happening, that rules.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

sushibandit posted:

To be fair, the extracts (kill 150/whatever) take all of 2-3 minutes even at the highest difficulty, and are by far the fastest and easiest way to farm Medals and Req and XP. So it makes perfect sense for people to smash their faces against that for a handful of hours to hit level 20 so every stratagem and a decent chunk of their warbonds can be unlocked to achieve loadout flexibility.

At least you'll only ever get common samples on those missions no matter the difficulty, so eventually even the farmers will have to branch out and start playing "normal" missions to finish upgrading their SD.

Now the ones who keep farming nothing but extracts after level 20 without understanding why it was a good idea for a little while but not forever, are also the type who makes noise on social media about no content and dead game and will jump to their next FOTM soon enough. I blame content creators for this mindset, mostly. It's their job so of course they're gonna minmax and chase efficiency, which skews the impression of the game for those watching.

You can always tell who these people are because when you come back to their ship, none of the modules have been upgraded whatsoever despite them being a fairly high level. I feel very sad that they haven't spent any time trying to make their Super Destroyer even more Super.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

We need some sort of propaganda campaign for pubbies to teach them to not draw aggro from every goddamn patrol and random wandering charger jfc.

Something like "More kills doesn't mean more XP! Focus on objectives... for democracy!"

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

mrmcd posted:

We need some sort of propaganda campaign for pubbies to teach them to not draw aggro from every goddamn patrol and random wandering charger jfc.

Something like "More kills doesn't mean more XP! Focus on objectives... for democracy!"

https://postergroup.com/products/loose-talk-can-cost-lives-quiet-10147

That sort of "shut the gently caress up" style propaganda should be a good starting point.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

mrmcd posted:

Get some WPA style posters with rhyming slogans and you're in business.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Joke's on them, I find bots to be easier at higher difficulties because Hulks are much easier to manage than Chargers. Chargers still need multiple railgun shots to take down, Hulks can be taken out with one good shot and they are positively plodding by comparison.

Additionally, Orbital Laser does a ton of work cleaning up a Heavy Outpost with minimal fuss, a single calldown will usually take it out completely. You do want to make sure you ID the cannon tower and toss the laser close to there first, though, as you do not want the situation where you've technically destroyed the outpost but the cannon is still there, sniping you and your team.

Rocket Devastators are honestly the worst part of dealing with high difficulty bots, since there is a non-zero chance that one of them fires off a rocket that perfectly predicts where you will be and one-shots you the moment you peek around cover.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
can confirm i've taken rockets to the face mid dive before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Yeah so far my experience with cyborgs through difficulty 5 is that there’s fewer enemies who demand a whole lot of your time to get rid of compared to bugs, but also way more times where you just instantly drop dead because a rocket bot existed somewhere offscreen or on the other side of heavy smoke or fired the same frame you strafed around a corner