Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

:nsa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

lumpentroll posted:

the friend works for the cia

I feel like kid rock now

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

It's going to be interesting seeing how much of an industrial base Europe is going to have left in 5-10 years. Between the increase in energy costs over the last 2 years and now, what, 3 months of shipping disruptions/delays/increased costs from the houthis so far? And Israel seems to be setting up for some kind of permanent occupation of Gaza, which I assume would lead to the houthis having some kind of long term resistance until they can't sustain it anymore. Which, after the decade that they already have come out of, would probably only be if the genocide coalition decides that they must invade, and at a level of troop commitment that the Saudis never could have. I doubt that an invasion, if it were to ever happen, is going to happen any time in the next 6 months. Especially because the military already can't hit troop numbers

Good luck to factory goons in Europe

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

Third World Reagan posted:

the cia isn't allowed to spy on americans

but they can do it through proxies or buy that spy data from corporation x

i would like to speak to the manager of the cia

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
just because I said they are not allowed to doesn't mean I said they do not spy on americans

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Mandel Brotset posted:

i would like to speak to the manager of the cia

the reptilian illiminatus will see you now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Scarabrae posted:

I mean I get the sentiment but you could just power it off, I doubt corporation X has CIA tech to wake up the phone

im trying to work out if this is ironic because they certainly do have this tech

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Anti masking was actually an op by Big Face

die adam die
Nov 12, 2003

do the butterfly dance
i thought the NSA was created specifically for spying on americans

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Jel Shaker posted:

im trying to work out if this is ironic because they certainly do have this tech

that little green dot that says the cameras active popping up as soon as you grab your phone after it’s been sitting with the screen off for ages and before you unlock it despite having all of the “capture my face with the camera” settings turned off?

ImWithHer88
Feb 8, 2024

by Pragmatica

the cia isn't allowed to spy on americans

but they can do it through proxies or buy that spy data from corporation x

imagine taking this person's advice on opsec

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

i just use these on any device that has a front facing camera https://www.amazon.com/Original-Spyslide-Smartphones-Resistant-Stainless/dp/B076M6P36X

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

die adam die posted:

yeah more or less bc the rule has always been the cia/military "can't" spy domestically because that's FBI/LE's turf. but of course, lol, lmao

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw posted:

I would choose not to name my process IllegallyCaptureBiometricsForTheCorrection.exe and also use Windows. It’s just common sense.

How is it illegal? they were doing it for revenue so it’s more legal than otherwise.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Two tabs I've had open for a while.

Landlord Pushes Tenants Out Despite Getting State Money, about a landlord who accepted state pandemic relief money then evicted tenants anyway while the state said "too bad, so sad":

quote:

Starting in the summer of 2022, about eight months after the state’s moratorium on evictions ended, Collier and six other tenants at 1150-1158 W 64th St. were all served eviction notices by Legacy Red, the company acting as manager of the building. Four were eventually evicted.

In interviews with Illinois Answers at the 10-unit apartment building in Englewood, the neighbors all said they were surprised that they were dragged into court over allegations of unpaid rent because they’d collectively been approved for their rent payments, totalling tens of thousands of dollars, in assistance from the state, paid directly to their landlord. Under the program’s rules, tenants receiving those grants weren’t supposed to face eviction. What’s more, tenants complained they were subject to harassment or intimidation to get them to leave.

Advocates for renters warn that what happened to these tenants has been part of a disturbing pattern of how, they say, many tenants were treated during the pandemic: Even after going through the complicated process of applying for rental assistance – at times having to do interviews and take classes to qualify – tenants were left without a home, often at the whim of landlords, who put them out on the street.

While federal and state programs received praise from some advocates for quickly delivering rental assistance, that speed came at the cost of little oversight and enforcement, critics say.

And as deadlines loom for migrants living out of shelters they're coming up against the arbitrariness & cruelty of means-tested programs:

Migrants in Chicago are on edge as evictions from temporary shelters loom

quote:

More than 13,000 migrants like Cinfuentes are under pressure to find homes and work before they are mass-evicted from city-operated shelters to conserve the budget and make room for newcomers.

About 7,000 people, roughly half of the migrants in shelters, do not have access to rental assistance because they arrived after the state cut the program, Cristina Pacione-Zayas, the mayor’s deputy chief of staff, said. That means that they are under even greater pressure to find work to be able to afford rent.

But migrants who arrived in Chicago and elsewhere after July 31 are not eligible for an extension of what’s known as “temporary protected status,” which offers temporary relief from deportation and the right to obtain work authorization.

Without that protection, most migrants who qualify have to wait about six months after filing their complete asylum applications before they can receive work permits.

Those who are unable to find housing after they are evicted will be sent back to the city’s “landing zone” for new migrants and allowed to reapply for shelter, though it is unclear what that process will look like and how many people will be placed in another shelter. Advocates fear that when the time comes, it could create chaos as large numbers of migrants need placement.

The city’s family and support services commissioner, Brandie Knazze, said in January that disability, bereavement, gender-based violence and pregnancy would be among the “general categories for extension” of current shelter stays.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

die adam die posted:

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

DancingShade posted:

People are going to post on the internet how outraged they are about this, using their phones covered in 10 different always on cameras.

are you saying we live in a freakin society? that's blowing my mind

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

die adam die posted:

officially, no, that's the FBI's job as domestic law enforcement

officially, the NSA's job is specifically secret squirrel codebreaking/encryption/assorted signals bullshit while the CIA's is generally intelligence operations outside the USA

in practice lol and lmao

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

How is it illegal? they were doing it for revenue so it’s more legal than otherwise.

It's probably legal, yeah. People always assume there are laws protecting them from stuff like this but unless your state has passed one you can rest assured that Congress hasn't done poo poo.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It came out last week that Amazon was using a vending machine camera to record the break room at a facility, presumably to see who is taking too many breaks, and everyone already forgot about it.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It came out last week that Amazon was using a vending machine camera to record the break room at a facility, presumably to see who is taking too many breaks, and everyone already forgot about it.

you won’t care

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the only surprise I had was that it was secret, I figured that Amazon would have the break room visibly and openly recorded

Apr 7, 2003

*pundit voice* why isn't anyone having kids? It is a mystery

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Complications posted:

the only surprise I had was that it was secret, I figured that Amazon would have the break room visibly and openly recorded

They do, and in addition you can't go through the work/break area boundary at an Amazon facility without going through a badge-access turnstile that looks like this:

So presumably the facial recognition camera is for some other purpose than just monitoring who is taking breaks since they already know that.

Apr 7, 2003

lol working in a prison, cool

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

goddamn this is dark

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

The Oldest Man posted:

They do, and in addition you can't go through the work/break area boundary at an Amazon facility without going through a badge-access turnstile that looks like this:

So presumably the facial recognition camera is for some other purpose than just monitoring who is taking breaks since they already know that.
real arbeit macht vibes off fhis

Apr 7, 2003

getting dismembered by the employee shredder during the lunch rush

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

A couple years ago my workplace replace all the vending machine with self-serve kiosks where all the snacks and food are just freely sitting there on shelves and in fridges and you have to self-scan and pay for them yourself. A bunch of people immediately got fired because they monitor the kiosks areas with cameras and I hear there is basically a steady-stream of people getting caught. This was a nationwide change to the break rooms from what I understand, and I'm convinced the system was just put in as an easy way to fire union employees.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

*pundit voice* why isn't anyone having kids? It is a mystery

you know they still come out even if you arent at the hospital

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

Yes, except with a 2x risk of maternal death and a 3x increase in infant seizures

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

You fuckers never heard of tape

real talk, I have a friend who puts his work phone in a faraday cage after work hours

ghislaine maxwell used tinfoil, seems like a cheaper but less effective option

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

why not just...turn the phone off??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Apr 7, 2003

Flavahbeast posted:

why not just...turn the phone off??

They're still on when they're "off"

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

You fuckers never heard of tape

BULBASAUR