Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Aramis posted:

I recently grabbed Cyberpunk 2077 on sale because I was assured that it's good now.

Am I missing something? It's kinda trash to me so far. The gameplay is wholly unremarkable, every animation that's not part of a baked story scene looks super-awkward and stilted, ambient NPC behaviors are downright weird, and everything in the environment feels... I dunno... stuck, like part of a set. Everything feels artificial, and I don't mean that in an intentional artistic statement kind of way.

Maybe this gets more interesting once I access some cooler skills/implants, but so far, I feel like it's going to be a slog to keep going.

The big overhaul patch didn't actually do much, so I was a little surprised people were claiming it was "finally good". It added more active skills to the perk tree, made driving better, added vehicle combat, and made police react more like GTA and that's virtually all it did. It didn't address the other problems with the game at all.

A lot of people like the story and characters and say it's worth playing for, but none of it clicked with me so I put it down near the end and never looked back.

I don't think it's a "terrible" game, even at launch, but it's a big disappointment compared to what it could have been and it doesn't live up to it's potential as anything beyond a linear story based shooter with mediocre gameplay. I can see why people have fun with it but it's definitely not a must-play kind of game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Feb 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Everyone who hates Cyberpunk is the kinda dingbat who was using guns. Even if you're a gun game lover, still a stupid play style choice to make when there is even one other option. Cyberpunk was great at launch as a first person punching game.

If someone has an opinion about Cyberpunk 2077, ask them if they used guns and if they say yes just move on, ignore them.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners was so good that it fooled a ton of people into thinking the video game was finally good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like using a katana and cyberpunk is maybe the only fps game with cool throwing knife skills. They also put guns on the cars which I salute them for

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Aramis posted:

I recently grabbed Cyberpunk 2077 on sale because I was assured that it's good now.

Am I missing something? It's kinda trash to me so far. The gameplay is wholly unremarkable, every animation that's not part of a baked story scene looks super-awkward and stilted, ambient NPC behaviors are downright weird, and everything in the environment feels... I dunno... stuck, like part of a set. Everything feels artificial, and I don't mean that in an intentional artistic statement kind of way.

Maybe this gets more interesting once I access some cooler skills/implants, but so far, I feel like it's going to be a slog to keep going.

the animations and NPCs of CDPR games are rooted in Witcher 1. They've never gotten rid of the awkward wooden poo poo that makes them look static and lifeless props.

Still a very good game though. Especially when played with guns.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Vandar posted:

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners was so good that it fooled a ton of people into thinking the video game was finally good.

This is an opinion that I don't get at all. I watched it and thought it was terrible. Like half the entire show is "hey remember this UI element from the game??? Isn't it cool that we put it in the anime too???" And the other half is a really disjointed manic pixie anime waifu story where most of the character development happens off-screen between episodes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Everyone who hates Cyberpunk is the kinda dingbat who was using guns. Even if you're a gun game lover, still a stupid play style choice to make when there is even one other option. Cyberpunk was great at launch as a first person punching game.

If someone has an opinion about Cyberpunk 2077, ask them if they used guns and if they say yes just move on, ignore them.

I based my character around blunt melee weapons because I wanted to be a cyberbarbarian and it loving sucked. There were like 2 hammer models in the entire game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
first person melee combat sucks in general. get a real camera thanks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Devils Affricate posted:

I based my character around blunt melee weapons because I wanted to be a cyberbarbarian and it loving sucked. There were like 2 hammer models in the entire game.

I used that pervert cyberdoc's enchanted cane for a while but it was mostly just for varieties sake because raw punching was always stronger. Even the big bad boss Adam Savage died in two wind-up punches. It was ridiculously overtuned and a 1 on 1 battle just isn't a good final test for it.

Combined with armor making you an unkillable tank, most combats were a frenzied rush into a room to punch someone one, use the slow mo from kills or sliding behind crates to leap across the room to punch out another guy while using quick hacks in between lunges to fry whoever was out of punching and lunging range.

Standing around point and clicking at people on screen isn't usually very fun and certainly not when a game gives you other tools to use together. Flying through whatever base encounters was a ton of fun, more fun than they intended since I get the feeling nobody was okay testing non-guns. Which is great considering all the stuff they did intentionally design that didn't work as well.

I'm also not sure my play style is even possible anymore, I haven't played it since launch and a lot of the imbalanced perks and broken ones were probably readjusted. Nothing stopping you from playing a launch version though if your hardware can run it. Mine barely could at the time, I had to play at 800x600 if I wanted fancy almost high graphics lol.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

dsf posted:

if your more used to DS style combat it takes some adjusting, the game emphasizes blocking and parrying more over dodge rolling thru everything. its in kind of a weird place between Sekiro and DS but it works pretty well once you get used to it. Some of the later bosses are a little over-tuned though, you can tell the devs were looking to challenge people who are already souls veterans.

The merging of sekiro and bloodborne inspired combat mechanics coupled with the weapon mix n match system is simply sublime

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Aramis posted:

don't buy triple AAA games. They're terrible because being good requires taking risks and there's too much money being poured into them for the investors (who don't play video games, of course) to allow that.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

MSPain posted:

amnesia is kind of scary until the first time a monster catches you and then all of the suspense and mystery is drained from the game.

This is why video games are just uniquely unsuited to horror as a genre. The sense of “control”. Even just the fact you as the player can control the character on screen with a button press instead of vainly shouting at the movie screen/book page “no don’t go in there!” is bad enough. But the fact that in the end you can die (or whatever horrible fate) and it just chucks you back to the last checkpoint or save room removes any sense of danger or anxiety. Veni Veni Veni was right that the possibility of losing 1 million runes in Elden Ring or progress in a Roguelike is far scarier than any horror game could ever hope to be.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You also shouldn't buy them because if the games succeed they might end the company or worse, they make gaas version of the once good thing. There's not an outcome on AAA games where your money translates into the people who made that game getting more money or better treatment at work, many of them will have already been laid off before you can even buy the game.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The day that we eat the rich can't come soon enough

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Aramis posted:

I really like it, it's ok if you don't though

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pre pandemic I got an airbrushed dolphin shirt at Texas State Fair and the lady didn't even blink when I asked for it to say "kill the rich." Thought they'd tell me no or make me do "eat the rich" but they seemed enthused by the original request. Not a perfect litmus test, but I took it as a good sign for the sentiment to foment so close to Big Tex. Legend has it if enough people believe he will come to life and crush the rich himself, Attack on Titan style.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

don't buy triple AAA games. They're terrible because being good requires taking risks and there's too much money being poured into them for the investors (who don't play video games, of course) to allow that.

Too true. I started playing Ghosts of Tsushima the other day. It looks nice, but it plays so awful. Yes, I wanted to stay locked onto the enemy that was ten feet away and backing off and not the one that was two feet away, attacking, and that I was pushing the joystick toward. And so many deaths where I just couldn't see what was going on because the game has to be super tight on you all the time even when there's things in the way. And why did the game open with a lengthy sequence where the arrogance of the samurai led to their defeat by the Mongols followed by another lengthy sequence where the arrogance of the samurai led to their defeat by the Mongols. The writing is consistently awful; the most surprising thing about it is that every time you think they're going to go for the obvious twist, they don't even twist and everything is exactly as surface level as first appearances make it out to be.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

I really like it, it's ok if you don't though

Is it possible for an opinion to be too unpopular for this thread?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Random Stranger posted:

Too true. I started playing Ghosts of Tsushima the other day. It looks nice, but it plays so awful. Yes, I wanted to stay locked onto the enemy that was ten feet away and backing off and not the one that was two feet away, attacking, and that I was pushing the joystick toward. And so many deaths where I just couldn't see what was going on because the game has to be super tight on you all the time even when there's things in the way. And why did the game open with a lengthy sequence where the arrogance of the samurai led to their defeat by the Mongols followed by another lengthy sequence where the arrogance of the samurai led to their defeat by the Mongols. The writing is consistently awful; the most surprising thing about it is that every time you think they're going to go for the obvious twist, they don't even twist and everything is exactly as surface level as first appearances make it out to be.

Yeah, but hot springs and foxes.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

QuarkJets posted:

The day that we eat the rich can't come soon enough

don't eat the rich. they're full of benzos

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
Ghost of Tsushima is best when you're a ninja sneaking around and clearing out settlements tenchu style.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Tenchu fuckin owns

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

maybe i'm just bad at video games, but I finished Lies of P the other day and it really is hard as gently caress and if you haven't played much Souls in the past I feel like it'd be a pretty brutal entry into that kind of game

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

And Sekiro is like negative practice because I always flutter tap block instead of block and hold and I just can't unlearn it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Caesar Saladin posted:

maybe i'm just bad at video games, but I finished Lies of P the other day and it really is hard as gently caress and if you haven't played much Souls in the past I feel like it'd be a pretty brutal entry into that kind of game

The freely available summons are geared appropriately and their AI strong enough to help you through the whole game. The final boss then has a critical flaw of being insanely easy to blow up with the auto-parry item.

That said without that I do think the bosses are trickier than souls games in general.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

there's a block button?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Caesar Saladin posted:

The final boss is a sekiro boss not a Souls boss

Nice Van My Man posted:

And Sekiro is like negative practice because I always flutter tap block instead of block and hold and I just can't unlearn it.

I feel like you may have been playing sekiro wrong cuz I was so much better at that game when I stopped flutter tapping L1 and learned to hold it until the next parry.

Anyway I beat the final boss in Lies of P on my second attempt, no parry grindstone, no cube heals just straight up channeled my inner sekiro with the two dragons sword

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I think it's really funny we call the things videogames. These aren't the things that are chewing up your VHS tapes grandpa!

I think they should be called button games.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

"Interactive digital experiences" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, so I think we're stuck with "videogames" for the time being.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Loser markers.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Videogames already have a better general term and it's Souls-like

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Sometimes I call them computer games because they're games that I play on my computer

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I only play computer games.

Video games are for kids.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I refer to them as interactive digital entertainments just as Alfred Atari intended.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

QuarkJets posted:

What genre of souls-like are soulslike, then?

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I mean if we're going for brevity we could just call them TV games. Memory mineral games aka smart rock games.

There must be something better than "I CAN SEE THE GAME"s

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
they are called nintendos

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

fridge corn posted:

The final boss is a sekiro boss not a Souls boss

I feel like you may have been playing sekiro wrong cuz I was so much better at that game when I stopped flutter tapping L1 and learned to hold it until the next parry.

Anyway I beat the final boss in Lies of P on my second attempt, no parry grindstone, no cube heals just straight up channeled my inner sekiro with the two dragons sword

No way man, I'm not taking the debuff block damage. Hit it once at the start of an attack in case it's fast, then hit it again when you think the attack will land if it was a windup or fakeout. The perfect block window shortens with each tap but if you just tap twice it's still pretty generous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

MSPain posted:

the last time i was afraid of a video game it was doom 2, and I was nine.

amnesia is kind of scary until the first time a monster catches you and then all of the suspense and mystery is drained from the game. basically, i agree with the person who said only the first bit of a game can be truly scary. i liked soma, but it never had me feeling afraid.

For a different kind of scare, Eternal Darkness got me several times with the sanity gimmicks. I remember throwing my controller when it did the fake save screen wipe, and then again when it faked the controller disconnect while monsters attacked you.