Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The best part of buying movies on DVD is you get to see trailers for stuff you never would have otherwise heard of in a million years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8JHvSy3hEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is kind of frustrating. It's so close to being good but it's just, not? Great concept. Cast is solid. Nice looking movie...It's just kind of boring though and I can't really put my finger on why. I couldn't stop thinking about that Love Death Robots segment directed by david fincher that was basically the same thing but so much better.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

The best part of buying movies on DVD is you get to see trailers for stuff you never would have otherwise heard of in a million years

Pro: the director also made The Bigfoot Trap!
Con: The Bigfoot Trap is easily his best film

veni veni veni posted:

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is kind of frustrating. It's so close to being good but it's just, not? Great concept. Cast is solid. Nice looking movie...It's just kind of boring though and I can't really put my finger on why.

It suffers a lot from being a short chapter in Dracula's story, telling you as much early on in case you didn't know it going in, and not even showing you much of the (very cool looking) Dracula

I still like it but certainly not Ovredal's best directed film; Autopsy of Jane Doe, Troll Hunter, and I even like his adaptation of Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark more

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Gripweed posted:

I dug into a couple DVDs for the October challenge and it was such a weird trip to deal with these

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

lol a lot of big emotion packed into that trailer.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
The acting in The Alpha Test is pretty abysmal, but it does bring some fun ideas into play. Nothing that M3GAN didn't do better, though. The commentary track is easily the most interesting thing about the movie, hearing how they made things on a half-shoestring budget, and how proud they were of parts of it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://x.com/rangerjayfilm/status/1761890450707714380?s=46
In A Violent Nature trailer leaked

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That looks like a blast. Slashers are back baby!!!!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Looks cool but boy do I dislike that name.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Retitle it Slashy McNasty

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

veni veni veni posted:

The Last Voyage of the Demeter is kind of frustrating. It's so close to being good but it's just, not? Great concept. Cast is solid. Nice looking movie...It's just kind of boring though and I can't really put my finger on why. I couldn't stop thinking about that Love Death Robots segment directed by david fincher that was basically the same thing but so much better.

I think I enjoyed this more than most people but it definitely had some big flaws that kept it from being as good as it could be. The atmosphere of dread just wasn't there for me, it felt like there were multiple times where everything kinda resets so Dracula can slink back into the bowels of the ship and everyone else just acts like they need to wait until nightfall to do anything.

One funny thing; my wife and I went to see this in a mostly empty theater. This guy shows up with his partner and sits behind us. After a few minutes he leans over and goes "Why is nobody coming to see this? It's loving Dracula, man!" I agreed and said I hoped it was good.

They left like halfway through the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I think there's an inevitability in Last Voyage of the Demeter that doesn't really help the movie. That sort of thing can work sometimes, but like you said there's points in the story where they basically go "oh ok well Dracula picked another guy off, guess we'd better just wallow in self-pity until he does it again". Once Drac starts taking them, the movie kinda just proceeds towards the natural conclusion without any surprises or fun diversions.

I was also hoping we'd get a little bit more of fully formed human Drac towards the end, and we really didn't get any of that. Or even maybe just a few juicy lines from Drac to emphasize that he's more than just a mindless bloodthirsty monster but I think he said like three words the whole movie.

All that said, the kills were more violent than I was expecting, there's some effects work in there.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bracketology bringing Troma and trauma against my teams. Be one of the cool kids and vote against me.

Where’ We’re At:
4. (Goat’s Ladies Night) Mimi Cave’s Fresh vs. 13. Lloyd Kaufman’s Return to Nuke Em High Volume 1
5. (Goat’s The Enemies of Horror) Aaron Moorhead & Justin Benson’s Synchronic vs. 12. (Dansk Buds) Johannes Nyholm’s Koko-Di Koko-Da

You can vote in this round until 12 noon EST Mar 4th (or when I get to it)

Next Week!
3. Takashi Miike vs. 14. Cloverfield +1
6. Roger Corman vs. 11. Teamsidious

Thread / Spreadsheet / Letterboxd List

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
In a violent nature looks good and cool

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Wait was In A Violent Nature originally a F13 movie that they lost the rights to, or just heavily inspired by? Until this exact moment I thought it was literally a F13 movie where they weren't able to use "Jason" or "Friday the Thirteenth" in the title.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wait was In A Violent Nature originally a F13 movie that they lost the rights to, or just heavily inspired by? Until this exact moment I thought it was literally a F13 movie where they weren't able to use "Jason" or "Friday the Thirteenth" in the title.

I think it's basically a slasher from a different perspective, definitely not Jason specifically.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Jason take Ozarks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
jason vs cocaine bear

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Jason: "This is crazy! These kids are all having sex! I have to document what's going on here, people have to know"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
grizzly man but instead of grizzly bears its jason... Jason Man

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

lots of good horror movie marketing at the moment. i'm definitely intrigued by In A Violent Nature and Longlegs

they haven't even started promoting any of the new Alien stuff yet and the marketing for those is usually pretty fun

who knows though, i still remember getting heartbroken by The Thing 2011. all the behind-the-scenes stuff and practical fx they were showcasing in the leadup was unreal

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Looks cool but boy do I dislike that name.

Just awful

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i like the name, i think its a good name

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Jason vs a Spring Break beach party would be amazing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheKingslayer posted:

Jason vs a Spring Break beach party would be amazing.

In the format of a found footage movie shot by Girls Gone Wild

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Jason showing off his tits at spring break

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i have a novel concept... jason takes manhattan but its filmed entirely in new york or a city that is cheaper to film at like Vancouver but call it new york

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

siege / insane action movie Jason On A Plane

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
deep blue jason

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

deep blue jason

"Well, Elon thought it would be a good idea to cross a great white shark with cells from an immortal killer. No, we don't know why, but the paychecks cash, so..."

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Look, all that I'm saying is we need Jason to visit Jurassic Park and slash his way out of T-Rex after being eaten.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you're thinking too small... an eccrentric billionaire created a theme park containing all of the slashers in their own enclosures to simulate their natural environment but something goes horribly wrong and all the slashers get out. i call it Slasher Park

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
massive jason voorhees busting through the visitor center wall to fight a horde of chucky's that are the raptors in this scenario

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

One of my dream movies is a ff13 that has a zombie apocalypse take place in the middle. It ends with a bunch of Jason’s victims dragging him into the lake

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ian Malcolm digging up the raptor's grave to make sure it's dead only for it to get struck by lightning and resurrected

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

deep blue jason

Deepest bluest my mask is like a shark's fin

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Opopanax posted:

One of my dream movies is a ff13 that has a zombie apocalypse take place in the middle. It ends with a bunch of Jason’s victims dragging him into the lake

F13 but rapture happens and Jason is the only one who gets raptured

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
should have made the leperchauns the raptors gently caress

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

MacheteZombie posted:

Ian Malcolm digging up the raptor's grave to make sure it's dead only for it to get struck by lightning and resurrected

"Lightning, uh, finds a grave."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Crescent Wrench posted:

"Lightning, uh, finds a grave."

empty quote