Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
The period where she's feigning childlike innocence is when she's being held captive on board an enemy battleship. Pretending that you're oblivious and don't know poo poo seems like a pretty smart ploy when you're at someone else's mercy.

That said, her resistance movement always seemed small and elite. She, personally, was able to field one battleship and two prototype Gundams(Freedom and Justice) to intervene at Jachin Due - the other two ships and their accompanying mobile weapons in the Three Ships Alliance weren't hers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Warmachine posted:

I wish we'd gotten to see more of Lacus building her resistance movement. Show us that she's leveraging her popularity as a pop singer to pull resources together to start a rebellion against Patrick Zala. That would have been cool.

This is, generally, the problem I have with most of SEED's story: it does a whole lot of telling and revealing with very little build up for those payoffs. So you get a lot of big character moments for characters who are basically "who is this guy again".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kanos posted:

The period where she's feigning childlike innocence is when she's being held captive on board an enemy battleship. Pretending that you're oblivious and don't know poo poo seems like a pretty smart ploy when you're at someone else's mercy.

That said, her resistance movement always seemed small and elite. She, personally, was able to field one battleship and two prototype Gundams(Freedom and Justice) to intervene at Jachin Due - the other two ships and their accompanying mobile weapons in the Three Ships Alliance weren't hers.

there's no question that lacus was faking it and is actually very smart and capable. but she kept that poo poo up with athrun, too. so exactly when and how did she convince an entire resistance movement that she isn't really a bit dim and they should follow her to war? i just think the show should have actually hinted at lacus' actual personality before she showed up with a battleship.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

tsob posted:

Lacus in SEED, Lacus in Destiny or Lacus overall, out of curiosity? I'm so used to seeing Lacus vilified or derided in various ways that I'm somewhat interested to hear what someone likes about her as a character; especially since I haven't seen SEED or Destiny in literal decades at this point and remember very little about her personally. I do like the idea of her character i.e. a child who becomes the symbol and reluctant leader of an entire resistance movement against an authoritarian government/war due to a mix of her father's death and her own popularity, and a major influence due to similar ages on the pilots on the forefront of that movement, but I mostly remember her as a being a device the show uses to shuffle other characters around by giving or telling them what they need in the moment and with little to no character of her own.

The start of Destiny with her and Kira taking care of orphans after walking away from power is about the most "this is a thing she likes or wants" element I can attribute to her, but neither her or Kira really seem that bothered about leaving that behind or wanting to get back to it either from what I recall, so it seems more like circumstance than anything they were actually attached to really.

Lacus in general I'd say. I do agree with the earlier comments that I wish we got to see more of her maneuvering behind the scenes in SEED, but one of the things that stands out to me is that scene where she meets Athrun in the opera house. She has the place posted with plenty of guards in hiding, willing to take the shot if they felt like Athrun was really going to pull the trigger, but she was able to face him head on and force him to really consider his doubts and what he was fighting for. (and subsequently ambush the tail that was following him). She's always been a character who uses her soft pop idol persona to hide the fact that she's motivated by her causes, and willing to do what it takes to see those causes through. I think that the fact that she can fight for peace even with those traits is fascinating and something I always enjoyed about her.

And the hints were there that Lacus was more than meets the eye from the beginning. She was always using her Haro to break out of her room on the archangel and gather information, while playing it off like she was a silly airhead. Her steel showed through when after being returned to Zaft by Kira, Rau launched an attack on the Archangel, and she shut him down immediately, since he was still playing the role of a good soldier and not a genocidal maniac. She also had good taste in building a resistance movement considering she basically focused on the desert tiger (who seemed to be fairly popular in some circles and had ideals close to hers), and Kira and Athrun who were the most impressive mobile suit pilots we'd seen up to that point.

For Destiny, I always viewed that orphanage stuff as the two of them running away. Kira was traumatized by the first war, and being in Orb was about as far away as he could get from it all. It was only when Durandal poked the bear and tried to kill Lacus that forced the two of them to act. She spent so time lost after building a peace that she didn't know what she truly wanted until that peace was threatened once again. I think everything that happened with Meer helped make Lacus more confident in her role as a leader, and more than willing to fight once again for what she believed in. I dunno, I just found that she resonated with me a lot.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You should play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arbite posted:

You should play Dynasty Warriors Gundam 2.

Nobody should do that.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's no question that lacus was faking it and is actually very smart and capable. but she kept that poo poo up with athrun, too. so exactly when and how did she convince an entire resistance movement that she isn't really a bit dim and they should follow her to war? i just think the show should have actually hinted at lacus' actual personality before she showed up with a battleship.

Early on, Athrun was potentially as much of an enemy as the Archangel crew was. Remember that Patrick Zala, the insane genocidal warmonger, was Athrun's dad, and that Lacus's father was the leader of the political faction opposed to Patrick's and was murdered for it. And like I said, Lacus's resistance movement is very small and elite, so she wouldn't really need to reveal herself to or convince that many people to have what we see in the original SEED.

I do agree that it would have been more interesting to see her wheeling and dealing, but I don't think what's there is that implausible or inexplicable.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

prior to her showing up in command of a battleship she was feigning childlike innocence to the point of idiocy. i'm not sure how she pulled together a rebellion when her public persona was all anyone knew about her.

We literally see her making public speeches against Zala from a bunker

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So the mobile suits in Gundam Breaker. They're supposed to look exactly like their gunpla pieces? I saw a screenshot of a Zaku sans head and it's neck was the usual ball joint of a high grade kit.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They are gunpla in-universe, yes.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's funny. It's like if Armored Core customization got crossed with Super Smash Brothers where they're actually toys.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Ever play Gotchaforce? They sound similar.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arc Hammer posted:

So the mobile suits in Gundam Breaker. They're supposed to look exactly like their gunpla pieces? I saw a screenshot of a Zaku sans head and it's neck was the usual ball joint of a high grade kit.

More or less yeah

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azubah posted:

Gachaforce is more like the Gundam Versus games, if memory serves. That said, very few people have played it, considering that it's one of the most expensive video games for a semi-modern console. That thing's rare.

But yeah. You're playing with kits, not "real" Mobile Suits.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Funny how a 15 or so dollar purchase at GameStop a bit over a decade ago resulted in being the rarest and most valuable game I own(well that or maybe the copy of the PS2 version of Baroque, been a while since I last checked prices for this sort of thing)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Arc Hammer posted:

The detail is pretty good, yeah. You can also, in the previous games at least, edit your paint scheme, weathering and gloss/metallic levels as you please. If you've played Armored Core VI it's basically the same sort of customization, just with gunpla.

Azubah posted:

Gotchaforce is fun as hell but it's more of like an arena battler? You have a team, the enemy has a team, your goal is to beat the enemy team before your team gets depleted. Whereas Gundam Breaker has like actual stages that usually culminate in some kind of boss fight.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/gundam_uce/status/1762056177796759716?t=vdlykEjp8uorBEAr383Q-Q&s=19

Getting some rock drops.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
For context, I've only watched the original MSG and Zeta, and I'd heard middling reviews about Witch From Mercury. But I just watched the prologue episode and holy poo poo that was really good?

It's awesome seeing Gundam battles with good modern animation.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Witch has some pacing problems but who's calling it middling, facebook groups?

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
Witch is a little rushed at the end, but overall more solid than many modern Gundam shows.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The prologue episode is arguably the best one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

For context, I've only watched the original MSG and Zeta, and I'd heard middling reviews about Witch From Mercury. But I just watched the prologue episode and holy poo poo that was really good?

I feel like it's worth pointing out that the Prologue does not necessarily set the tone for the majority of the series. Depending on how you feel about things it may not mean you'll like the rest. (Though it does trend back towards the prologue as the story progresses.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wfm isn't bad by any means, but i found it to be a bit disappointing. it could have been more bold, more rebellious, and much, much more gay.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

WfM is one of the best shows in the franchise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
WfM isn't my absolute favorite Gundam show, but it's still very good and one of the better AUs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

it's a good show and you should watch it. it deserves some of the criticism it gets but i think people like to blow whatever annoyances they had with the show way out of proportion when talking about it. it was extremely popular while it was airing and i'm still pretty surprised to hear that you had a fully negative impression of it

wfm isn't bad by any means, but i found it to be a bit disappointing. it could have been more bold, more rebellious, and much, much more gay.

tbf suletta and miorine were very gay when they actually got to be in the same room as each other

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 26, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It's a show I wish was better because what is there is very good but also feels limited in what they could accomplish vs what they wanted to do.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

RevolverDivider posted:

WfM is one of the best shows in the franchise.

Both of these can be true simultaneously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WfM has a lot of individual pieces I like but I'm not super thrilled with how they go together. It's like 3 different shows I all like but that don't really go together very well.

I think my biggest criticism of it is the "plot closet" problem where they metaphorically (or literally) lock characters away which ends up feeling really artificial.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i liked 5lan, norea, and nika being locked in a room together and i wish we had more time with them being physically forced to interact with one another (nika in particular)

i kinda just wish we had more time to explore all the characters and how they interact with one another really

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah, most of the criticism I saw was admittedly on Facebook, so that could fully be because of having gay characters.

For me though? Give me all the gay Gundam pilots.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so, exactly what happened in ch20 of pulitzer? i found it very confusing.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

WfM is very good and its primary problem is that there is not more of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

so, exactly what happened in ch20 of pulitzer? i found it very confusing.

From what I've read it's because it's adapting one of the Gundam Evolve shorts and I'm not familiar with those so I'm probably missing context.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Iron-Blooded Orphans is another very good modern Gundam show, if quite a different beast from WFM.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Arc Hammer posted:

From what I've read it's because it's adapting one of the Gundam Evolve shorts and I'm not familiar with those so I'm probably missing context.

Yeah it's episode 9 of Evolve. Cool but weird one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would rate WfM in the top 5 among the various series (not including movies) but that's because there's a lot of really bad Gundam and WfM has some very strong points in its favor. It's a lot like its cousin, Code Geass, with whom it shares its main writer, in that it's got some pacing flaws and a tendency to rush to some big moments. But it's also pretty unique in the franchise, especially in its core premise of "girl goes to gundam school," along with strong character work and some fun twists that have definitely been spoiled to hell and back by social media.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Chuchu knocking a motherfucker out was peak catharsis of the franchise’s misogyny of the past

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Runa posted:

I would rate WfM in the top 5 among the various series (not including movies) but that's because there's a lot of really bad Gundam and WfM has some very strong points in its favor. It's a lot like its cousin, Code Geass, with whom it shares its main writer, in that it's got some pacing flaws and a tendency to rush to some big moments. But it's also pretty unique in the franchise, especially in its core premise of "girl goes to gundam school," along with strong character work and some fun twists that have definitely been spoiled to hell and back by social media.

There's not a lot of bad Gundam, most Gundam is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

There's not a lot of bad Gundam, most Gundam is good.

I can't really use your taste as an effective barometer for whether I'll like something because you're usually hyping up SEED when I got bored of it halfway through.