Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

oh wait now my brain is going "NG+ is just and extra press turn and you're playing on hard already, just go TDE first playthrough and thus go Physical". i hate that voice that eventually makes me go play the same game again or something

I always go with more magic focused builds when I play the game, and I still pick up Focus 100% of the time. Even just launching Focused punches is some of the best damage in the game regardless of your stat distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Evolution of Lilith

Feel like Lilith from 4 missed the theme.

For those who haven't seen it yet, all the designs except for that one are inspired by a famous 19th-century painting (also NSFW).

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I finished Soul Hackers 2 the other day, figured I'd share some thoughts. As a preface, I'm not really much of an SMT person; dabbled in a few like Digital Devil Saga and Devil Survivor but never got super deep in them, only finished Personas 3 and 5 (got to the end of 4 but didn't quite finish). I got the game kind of on a whim after Booky posted a lineup of all the SMT protags in a discord server and my eye was instantly drawn to Ringo, and looking up a couple of videos my first thought was "the vibes here are powerful.

The short version of my feelings on the game: It's the most "subjective 10/10 that's actually an objective 7.5/10" game I've ever played.

Slightly longer version: The progression of the main plot is a bit basic and predictable in spots, but I was smitten by the characters' designs, writing, and voice acting. They made for such a wonderful quintet. All their interactions in the side content at the Bar or eating meals at the Hideout, or even the short little convos you see upon gaining new Summoner Skills in the Soul Matrix have tons of character in them, and in particular I very much enjoyed the combat barks being reactive, with lines from one of them being responded to appropriately by someone else, and not just generic encouragement/dismay phrases. Not many games add those kinds of small touches.

But of course the elephant in the room is probably why they felt the need to do small stuff like that, which is that this is not a particularly big, high-budget, or huge tentpole release. Very much a modest C-Team project, it shows in some places I saw a lot of reviews/videos made around release citing as their big problem, the map design. The Soul Matrix is 16 gigantic floors of identical (admittedly nice looking) blue cybervoid aesthetics, and the puzzles on the later floors can be pretty tedious and annoying to interact with. The main plot areas aren't exactly brimming with amazing level design, either.

Still, for my money, there was enough other cool stuff about this game that for the most part all of that didn't bother me, or I could look past it. I don't know what the SMT fans' temperature on it is; I know the more general video game space sort of regarded it as a lesser-than sibling to both mainline SMT and Persona. Though, a lot of those reviews point out stuff like no ability to skip cutscenes or Ringo's slow walk speed, among other things, several of which got fixed in patches later, so I never experienced any of those issues. And I know the reddit and youtube comment types who do poo poo like complain about localization when they know gently caress all about the process all hated the game, but their opinions are worthless anyway.

I really jived with it and I hope it did well enough that they build on the foundation and improve stuff for a potential Soul Hackers 3. The vibes were immaculate. I need another game with vibes this strong.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Thuryl posted:

For those who haven't seen it yet, all the designs except for that one are inspired by a famous 19th-century painting (also NSFW).

and the movie Night Angel

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

that rocks and im glad the megaten chart i got off reddit and hastily edited inspired you to play the game :v:

but real talk this perspective owns since, everywhere else i only ever saw people say that it was mid and had a low budget so its nice to see a more fleshed out opinion on the game!!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

TriffTshngo posted:

I finished Soul Hackers 2 the other day, figured I'd share some thoughts. As a preface, I'm not really much of an SMT person; dabbled in a few like Digital Devil Saga and Devil Survivor but never got super deep in them, only finished Personas 3 and 5 (got to the end of 4 but didn't quite finish). I got the game kind of on a whim after Booky posted a lineup of all the SMT protags in a discord server and my eye was instantly drawn to Ringo, and looking up a couple of videos my first thought was "the vibes here are powerful.

The short version of my feelings on the game: It's the most "subjective 10/10 that's actually an objective 7.5/10" game I've ever played.

Slightly longer version: The progression of the main plot is a bit basic and predictable in spots, but I was smitten by the characters' designs, writing, and voice acting. They made for such a wonderful quintet. All their interactions in the side content at the Bar or eating meals at the Hideout, or even the short little convos you see upon gaining new Summoner Skills in the Soul Matrix have tons of character in them, and in particular I very much enjoyed the combat barks being reactive, with lines from one of them being responded to appropriately by someone else, and not just generic encouragement/dismay phrases. Not many games add those kinds of small touches.

But of course the elephant in the room is probably why they felt the need to do small stuff like that, which is that this is not a particularly big, high-budget, or huge tentpole release. Very much a modest C-Team project, it shows in some places I saw a lot of reviews/videos made around release citing as their big problem, the map design. The Soul Matrix is 16 gigantic floors of identical (admittedly nice looking) blue cybervoid aesthetics, and the puzzles on the later floors can be pretty tedious and annoying to interact with. The main plot areas aren't exactly brimming with amazing level design, either.

Still, for my money, there was enough other cool stuff about this game that for the most part all of that didn't bother me, or I could look past it. I don't know what the SMT fans' temperature on it is; I know the more general video game space sort of regarded it as a lesser-than sibling to both mainline SMT and Persona. Though, a lot of those reviews point out stuff like no ability to skip cutscenes or Ringo's slow walk speed, among other things, several of which got fixed in patches later, so I never experienced any of those issues. And I know the reddit and youtube comment types who do poo poo like complain about localization when they know gently caress all about the process all hated the game, but their opinions are worthless anyway.

I really jived with it and I hope it did well enough that they build on the foundation and improve stuff for a potential Soul Hackers 3. The vibes were immaculate. I need another game with vibes this strong.

If you’ve finished persona 5 in the past and are looking for a game with spectacular vibes I highly recommend Persona 5 Strikers, a fun road trip game/tourism campaign for Japan in the summer

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

If you’ve finished persona 5 in the past and are looking for a game with spectacular vibes I highly recommend Persona 5 Strikers, a fun road trip game/tourism campaign for Japan in the summer

I had fun with it but never felt like I needed to finish it. I really like persona too but eh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I finished Strikers and enjoyed it a bunch but I couldn't force myself to finish 5 or even consider Royal

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Um, just to know, if I change my mind about my Demifiend build early game there's 0 issue right? Like, I've dumped most points on VIT and put a few on MAG but if I say start increasing STR there's no problem? Cause magic is useful early and a few points in MAG give me more MP for Focus and buffs.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Booky posted:

that rocks and im glad the megaten chart i got off reddit and hastily edited inspired you to play the game :v:

but real talk this perspective owns since, everywhere else i only ever saw people say that it was mid and had a low budget so its nice to see a more fleshed out opinion on the game!!

I have pretty similar feelings about it: the characters are the only aspect of the game that stand out, but they're honestly neat takes on staple SMT concepts and were interesting enough to carry the rest of the game for me. In particular I found it really funny that the Neutral alignment representative is kind of a commitment-phobic slimeball. A lovable slimeball, but still.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Um, just to know, if I change my mind about my Demifiend build early game there's 0 issue right? Like, I've dumped most points on VIT and put a few on MAG but if I say start increasing STR there's no problem? Cause magic is useful early and a few points in MAG give me more MP for Focus and buffs.

Yeah, that all sounds fine to me. It's a good, diverse build.

In my last run, I specifically only put puts into Magic and Luck (lol) just because. I made it through the whole game on Hard with only probably a little more difficulty than normal. Like I've said before, I love Press Turn because it's a real team effort. As long as you bring along good demons with good skills, I think any demifiend build is possible.

Note: This might not apply to True Demon. I did not fight Metatron or Lucifer with my super slow, super squishy, physically weak Demifiend.

Although just from my experience, Ag seems kinda worthless. Al it does is make you go before your demons, which maybe matters if you are a healer or support, but other than that, I don't see much benefit. As long as enemies have decreased Hit/Eva, you'll dodge attacks just fine.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, it's mostly that I checked the formulas used in Nocturne cause I heard they were wack and holy moly they are. Luck is useless cause 9/10 times it's used with another stat that has double the effect because Luck is divided by 2, and the only formula that uses it wholly is Ailment Recovery, in which Level is better. And Agi is basically accuracy and escape/ambush chances, except levelling up makes Accuracy lower and Hard mode fucks over the other two.

And that's not getting into how every magic spell starts doing less damage after 30 with the exceptions of Wind Cutter (which does at 36 when you get it at 60~), Preach from Daisoujou (73), and Magma Axis/Ragnarok (around 100, making them the best magic skills by default). At least Mag gives MP and magic accuracy on a good basis so it's useful even on Physical builds.

like what were they thinking when doing the math, :atlus:?

GiantRockFromSpace fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Feb 26, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Shout outs to the guides and posts that give the absolutely terrible advice of boosting ST early on even though you can't even learn any good physical skills until around level 50. It's far from useless and does add up eventually, but the fact that the bonus damage you get from a point of ST is pretty much the same as leveling up in general makes it horrible early on.

LU is one of the all-timer MegaTen dump stats. Everything it does that you'd care about is done twice over by AG. The only reason you'd invest in it is if you're on a 100% run, where as a cruel joke one of the Burial Chambers in the third Kalpa is behind a door that requires a ridiculous 25 LU to get through.

I've heard about magic getting weaker as you level in Nocturne, but what are the exact effects of that? Once I've boosted VI, I put a point in MA every other level until I reach about 25 points in it and that keeps my damage going up at an acceptable rate.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Shout outs to the guides and posts that give the absolutely terrible advice of boosting ST early on even though you can't even learn any good physical skills until around level 50. It's far from useless and does add up eventually, but the fact that the bonus damage you get from a point of ST is pretty much the same as leveling up in general makes it horrible early on.

LU is one of the all-timer MegaTen dump stats. Everything it does that you'd care about is done twice over by AG. The only reason you'd invest in it is if you're on a 100% run, where as a cruel joke one of the Burial Chambers in the third Kalpa is behind a door that requires a ridiculous 25 LU to get through.

I've heard about magic getting weaker as you level in Nocturne, but what are the exact effects of that? Once I've boosted VI, I put a point in MA every other level until I reach about 25 points in it and that keeps my damage going up at an acceptable rate.

According to the guide I checked, every spell has a Peak determined by its formula:

((Limit - Correction) / Skill Power) × (255/24) = Peak

Where Limit and Correction are values specific for each spells.

Then it uses one of 4 formulas to calculate damage based on the difference between your Level and Peak:

Lvl < Peak
0.004 * (5 * (Mag+36) - Lvl) * ((24 * Skill Power * (Lvl / 255) + Correction)) = Damage ±5%

Lvl = Peak
0.004 * [((5 * (Mag+36)) - ((Limit - Correction) / Skill Power) * (255 / 24)] * Limit = Damage ±5%

Peak < Lvl ≤ 160
0.004 * (5 * (Mag+36) - Lvl) * Limit = Damage ±5%

160 < Lvl
0.004 * (5 * (Mag+36) - 160) * Limit = Damage ±5%

TL;DR: The formula for magic damage starts substracting your level and removes an extra multiplier after it reaches its Peak making you do less damage and besides the ones I mentioned Peak has usually a value of 30. The drop off is somewhat minor (assuming 30 mag a level 30 Megidolaon deals like 50 more damage than a level 90 Megidolaon) but compare it to the Phys formula:

(Lvl + Str) * Skill Power ÷ 15 = Damage ±5%

Where every 15 of a sum of Level and Phys increases the multiplier by one (so al level 30 with 15 STR you're doing 3 times the skill power).

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Cool stuff to know, people always made out the dip in magic power like it's a huge drop instead of a minor decline but I sincerely never noticed it. Given how you have almost no physical skills for half the game, I have a better understanding of why investing points into ST does almost nothing early on seeing that formula. It definitely doesn't help that of the skills you do have, Heat Wave derives damage from your HP stat instead.

CullenDaGaDee fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Feb 26, 2024

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Cool stuff to know, people always made out the dip in magic power like it's a huge drop instead of a minor decline but I sincerely never noticed it. Given how you have almost no physical skills for half the game, I have a better understanding of why investing points into ST does almost nothing early on seeing that formula. It definitely doesn't help that of the skills you do have, Heat Wave derives damage from your HP stat instead.

I mean, you don't really need much besides Lunge until the later half. Lunge comes with a 41 skill power. To compare Freikrugel has 65. And the big deal is Focus existing, if Concentrate existed they would be on par.

But as mentioned in the early game magic doesn't work with the borked formula and as far as I know speedruns generally run magic builds. So if you're going for Maximum Optimization you go early game with Vit for HP and HP based skills (though they seem to have low acc) and Mag for MP and Tornado/other spell + a boost, then on the later half you switch to physical skills culminating in Freikrugel+Pierce.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I’ve never really cared for Lunge, it’s just not much of an upgrade over Focus punches, especially with its lower accuracy. The big thing is the 8 skill limit, there are a lot more valuable things you can have set than Lunge.

For most of the game magic is just way better, an element with its corresponding boost can take you very far. I generally don’t invest in ST until around Yoyogi Park where magic starts to hit diminishing returns and more potent physical skills and AOEs start to pop up.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

My latest Nocturne run was a MAG build, just putting points on MAG and some on AGI to stay ahead of the turn order (only switching to VIT once MAG was maxed) and went pretty smoothly. Didn't go for TDE but still played on Hard and beat Metatron in the Labyrinth. Then again I admit I knew what spells were the best and my final skillset included Fire Boost + Magma Axis and Force Boost + Wind Cutter (with Glacial Blast and Bolt Storm for coverage). I also fused a Daisoujou from a Kurama Tengu so he inherited Force Boost + Wind Cutter as well and holy moly that thing also racked up damage numbers.

I'd say it's even quite broken in the early and midgame, it's not that hard to get past Matador without a single point invested in VIT when Fire Boost + Fire Breath is doing so much damage per turn (passing with at least a demon so the MC attacks twice) he just doesn't have time to do anything dangerous before he gets vaporized. Everybody knows about Tornado and even pure STR builds use it because of how ridiculous it is, it basically deletes random encounters and still works wonders for bosses, and you actually have the MP pool to sustain it. I think one of the Specter encounters sucked because they nulled all magic or something.

In any case it was tons of fun and not having to worry whether you've focused or not before each attack is somewhat liberating if you're used to it, highly recommended.

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

My usual build for Nocturne is investing in MA on even levels and then either AG or VI on odd levels depending on what I need more, and then I usually transition to pumping up ST when I don’t need any more MA to reliably kill things and the MP matters less. Recent playthroughs I’ve been putting my first 10 levels toward VI just for a safety buffer in case I get bad luck in a random encounter with an ambush or something, and then I focus on Ma and AG in equal measure. I like Fire/Force as my focus since those elements are just flatly stronger at the expense of not having ailment tied to them, though this does mean the Demi-Fiend gets walled hard by Hell Biker. Nothing is perfect.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A MAG build is not super ideal for TDE but it also isn't strictly necessary. A magic-focused Demifiend can still be incredibly useful in terms of support/buff/debuff/etc, it just isn't going to hit as hard with physical attacks, but you can compensate for that with your demons. Phys Demi is absurdly strong but it isn't like MAG demi sucks.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah sorry for being kinda argumentative, I got into a mind blender cause I started having decision paralysis and investigated and got too munchkinny. I'll probably still go TDE for max content and just do the Mag->Str switch. Having high Mag is still good for supporting and more Focus casts anyways on phys builds.

that said what was atlus thinking when they designed the magic formula. also they should have added yoshitsune imagine hassou tobi in this game

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

It’s important to note that the actual level cap in Nocturne is 255, so as long as you don’t delete Focus you can transition into a physical build regardless of anything given enough grinding. This is obviously overkill for any of the normal endings, but is kind of a necessity for Lucifer if you didn’t specifically build for him the entire playthrough given his resistances.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
:lol: what loving world do these people live in Japan literally has one of the world's highest teen su!cide rates because of the insane pressure to perform well academically

https://twitter.com/BeatGh0st/status/1762167243842945042?t=zj1nNdeB3U1xGG_t0a0Qfg&s=19

and yeah I would prefer a persona with adults, wanna fight about it?:colbert:

https://twitter.com/PunishedAsian/status/1762230863218302988?t=ae8b_Gu8qpMARQxBK84JmA&s=19

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Feb 27, 2024

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

well, there's always Baofu

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Baofu Deez

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

:lol: what loving world do these people live in Japan literally has one of the world's highest teen su!cide rates because of the insane pressure to perform well academically

https://twitter.com/BeatGh0st/status/1762167243842945042?t=zj1nNdeB3U1xGG_t0a0Qfg&s=19

https://twitter.com/PunishedAsian/status/1762230863218302988?t=ae8b_Gu8qpMARQxBK84JmA&s=19

gently caress if I know anything about the lives of real Japanese schoolchildren, but a lot of anime and stuff have the kids in middle school, not high school, and the source of the drama or angst is all the hard work of getting into the right high school. So middle school was when they have the most... I dunno, fun or free time or whatever, not high school.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

why would you quote random bad tweets and force us to read them. why would you do this. I hope a random encounter casts mudo on you irl

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I would literally die if someone cast Mudo on me irl

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Alex from YIIK is bi...? Maybe YIIK is good after all

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I dont know what that post is talking about or cared to figure out if Yiik is good or bad but yes I would like Persona 2 Part 3

that would be rad

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
yes that's the point of casting Mudo

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
sometimes its not instant death, but its part of a larger strategy of death, yea

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The thing about some idiot on Twitter is that even if you get mad about their posts, you don’t need to show them to us.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
you especially don't need to talk about teen suicide rates along with your needlessly reposted contextless tweets

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wwhat the :eyepop:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Don't post unrelated tweets in the thread any more, it's weird and annoying.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

There is one thing I'd like to ask regarding stats: what things are exactly locked behind the stat check doors in the Third Kalpa, besides the alignment doors?

Cause I guess I'd level my Mag and Vit more or less evenly, open the Mag doors, open the Str doors later when I start pumping Str and then maybe have enough levels to boost Luck to 18?

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I wouldn’t worry about those doors unless you’re committed to the Burial Chamber sidequest. You need to have an excessive amount of LU to get through the final Luck door and it is just not worth it in a regular playthrough.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

CullenDaGaDee posted:

I wouldn’t worry about those doors unless you’re committed to the Burial Chamber sidequest.

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

Real talk, just create a separate save file for an honest fight with Lucifer if that’s what you want, then go back and grind up levels for the luck door. The incredibly strict time limit for Noah and Baal kind of forces you to power level anyway.