Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Serephina posted:

Hello Thread!

I'm just downloading DS3 now after binging DS1&2 last year (too much too close together, didn't finish the throne of want / final boss sprint of #2 due to burnout) and wrapping up with Sekiro.

Coming back into it after a break, for the first game I did heavy armour & fat shields, second game I did agility man with no armour and powerstancing. Got some good tips in there (DS1 was "level vit", DS2 was "level this weirdass adaptability stat (AFTER VIT)"), what thingies should I 'really have to know' before starting DS3, basically blind? All I know is that it's the best or worst of the 3 games depending who you ask, it has a mana bar now instead of spell charges, and might have some DS1 callbacks. Totally unspoilered otherwise, thankfully!

Fun builds for a person who sucks? Pure-mage seems novel, but after playing Sekiro I'm not sure throwing fireballs will gratify me.
Common pitfalls to be aware of? Like don't spend souls upgrading early, or do, whatever? I know to put points into hp, that's been fairly well beaten into me...

Thanks in advance!

edit: And I have read the OP, fwiw.

Continuing to play agility man is a great idea. You'll immediately notice rolls come out MUCH faster and you can roll a lot more often with your starting stamina.
There aren't any required or trap stats, and yeah levelling HP early will help you a lot more than levelling damage stats.
Whether you want some magic comes down to personal preference, the way I played a pyromancer was to just hit everything with melee weapons anyway and use fireballs if I had opportunities at range. So it's not just standing around throwing magic, it's more like having another tool if there's an annoying enemy or a boss who jumps around a lot.
I'm not sure if dual wielding is effective in this game, but powerstancing is gone FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Straight swords are incredibly good in DS3 and a Lothric Knight Sword dropped from one of the early game elite knights will carry you all the way through the game on a quality build. If you want to go Bonk Vordt's Greathammer is a great early game strength weapon, and does a ton of frost buildup too, or if you want to go dodge the Sellsword or Warden twinblades are great dex options that give you a powerstance moveset and just let you blend enemies

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
DS3 is weirdly stingy about upgrade materials, it pretty much allows you to only keep one weapon at the intended level for the part of the game you're in. So in the early game, you can have one weapon at +3 and maybe another at +2, then in the midgame, you get one naturally at +6 and others at most +5 then you run dry, late one +9. The DLCs help smooth that out if you go into the first one asap to scrounge, but that has its own issues (difficulty, general flow, feels metagamey).

Just keep that in mind if you're someone like me who loves trying out a bunch of weapons - the game really wants you to specialize, and you shouldn't have 3 weapons at +5 and realize that you're out of large shards.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Tbh there are no bad builds in DS3. Go with your gut, you can always respec your stats if you're unhappy with your build.

Personally, I find STR builds to be the most fun, unga bunga.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Tbf dedicated caster builds take alot of commitment to even get moderate results. Strength, dex and quality all own though

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Pyromancy is strong the moment you make your character and it never stops wrecking rear end. Sorcery starts to shine about midway thru the game. Faith is on the weaker side wrt to offensive spells but has some great utility spells.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Cheers guys, can't wait to sink my teeth in on the weekend.

Respecs are nice, but honestly not enough in DS games as a bunch of your commitment isn't based on your stats. Like gear enchantment, gear purchasing, spells, time spend chasing down vendors who refused to talk to you before, etc. That comment about being stingy with upgrade materials is exactly what I'm talking about! I really appreciated in DS2 being able to swing weapons around when lacking their stats, as it gives good preview of 'gunfeel' without having to spend any souls or consumables.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

update: since asking for build advice a week ago I went STR and Vordt's Greathammer and have steamrolled almost the entire game and just beat Nameless King for the first time ever, in only three tries.

i've seen the light. bonk is best

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

JoeGlassJAw posted:

:hmmyes: I should follow the path of the bonk in DS3. Loved it in Elden Ring, but never tried it in DS.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's so goddamn good in ds3, especially if you get the perseverance WA. Perseverance is op

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Guess which art Vordt's has permanently affixed to it? :allears:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Pure bonk is really good in ds3, with enough you can flinch or stagger-lock most enemies in the game. I played a claymore run my first time through and when I tried a katana build I the one getting staggered by how much harder it was when every enemy could powerstance through all my attacks.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

BONK is a lot of fun but POKE/STAB is fun too. DEX builds are super rewarding if you can parry consistently, as that tiny little dagger completely erases an enemy's HP bar when you push it into their guts

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GrossMurpel posted:

There aren't any required or trap stats, and yeah levelling HP early will help you a lot more than levelling damage stats.
expanding on this: vigor is extremely good, especially if you infuse a weapon raw early on for the flat damage boost. unlike in ds1, raw weapons are actually quite good for quite a while.
It's not uncommon for people online to recommend leveling vigor in ds3 to 27, because that is a "soft cap" with diminishing returns afterwards.
This is true, but it is not true that those diminishing returns mean you should stop leveling vig at 27. It continues to get great returns all the way up to 40, where you hit another much heftier soft cap.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

JoeGlassJAw posted:

update: since asking for build advice a week ago I went STR and Vordt's Greathammer and have steamrolled almost the entire game and just beat Nameless King for the first time ever, in only three tries.

The biggest bonk in the series is in The Ringed City DLC. Think about the biggest BONK hammer, well, then it's bigger than that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

You might think it's the Giant Crusher or the FUGS and you'd be wrong

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

No Dignity posted:

You might think it's the Giant Crusher or the FUGS and you'd be wrong

Yeah, keep thinking BIGGER :haw:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Hey again thread. Been having a good time on my blind playthrough, rolled a knight and just did a raw infusion on the starting weapon and have been pumping all the auxiliary stats. It's time to actually commit to style, I'm thinking 'holy warrior', is that is a thing? Have raised hp to 1k, and 20 pts in the stamina and carry weight stats (terrible returns on that last one btw?), and only 1 pt in faith so I could use the basic heal, so I really really haven't committed anywhere at all. Haven't seen any faith beat-sticks, which saddens me, will I be disappointed if I try to do the hit-things-with-my-beliefs theme?

Also other noobie questions:
Do any of the covenants have use in offline play? So far they all seem summoning-orientated.
That guy in town offering me a free levelup for zero souls. It's obviously a trap option, but how much of a trap?
What's a spoiler-light explanation of armour and poise in DS3? I know DS2 changed poise a lot, but now the stat page is also implying that physical def is only a % absorbed now instead of flat reductions - have I misunderstood and been wasting time swapping to two-handed vs 'armoured' dudes?
Not a question, but this game is loving relentless with its callbacks, geez. Dragons camping with their fire breath, the taurus demon on a bridge, oh hey swamps! etc etc

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Serephina posted:

Do any of the covenants have use in offline play? So far they all seem summoning-orientated.

you can farm their covenant items offline to get their rewards, but that's about it

quote:

That guy in town offering me a free levelup for zero souls. It's obviously a trap option, but how much of a trap?

there's a cost, but not one you can't recover from

quote:

What's a spoiler-light explanation of armour and poise in DS3? I know DS2 changed poise a lot, but now the stat page is also implying that physical def is only a % absorbed now instead of flat reductions - have I misunderstood and been wasting time swapping to two-handed vs 'armoured' dudes?

armor provides both Defense and Damage Absorption; Defense uses some hosed up algorithm to reduce damage initially, and then Damage Absorption reduces it by a further %. this makes armor very good in general, and it's very necessary to have something in every slot as it is, since you suffer a significant Defense penalty for not having a piece in a slot and will take a ton more damage

poise now only applies during the animation of certain attacks (generally referred to as "hyperarmor frames"), where your poise stat determines the value of an invisible poise meter that will prevent you from getting staggered while the bar remains and you're still in the hyperarmor frames. the short version is that it's only really useful if you're using large weapons and want to tank through poo poo, and is otherwise not very useful if you're using lighter weapons

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Yoel’s free levels are needed in a questline that leads to the ’weird’ ending. But getting to that ending is convoluted and involves several other NPC.

As most DS3 NPC quests, it’s easy to break by just going to the wrong place at the wrong time. As in if you visit place X before talking to an NPC hiding in place Y, you’re locked out of the quest until next playthrough.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

Hey again thread. Been having a good time on my blind playthrough, rolled a knight and just did a raw infusion on the starting weapon and have been pumping all the auxiliary stats. It's time to actually commit to style, I'm thinking 'holy warrior', is that is a thing? Have raised hp to 1k, and 20 pts in the stamina and carry weight stats (terrible returns on that last one btw?), and only 1 pt in faith so I could use the basic heal, so I really really haven't committed anywhere at all. Haven't seen any faith beat-sticks, which saddens me, will I be disappointed if I try to do the hit-things-with-my-beliefs theme?

Not at all. Playing a Str/Faith build is both viable and very fun. There are a handful of weapons you'll encounter as you progress that have scaling in faith and strength. You'll also learn miracles that will let you enchant your weapons with pure holy power or lightning. In addition once you find the proper coal for the blacksmith you'll be able to do infusions on weapons that will add Faith scaling as well.

As for the covenants, while the items needed to progress them can be farmed offline, we're talking like a 0.1% droprate from very specific enemies. It's much faster to engage in co-op/pvp if you're targeting a certain group.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the free levels (or more accurately, the Darksign that accompanies them) from Yoel are needed for the ending that finally breaks the cycle. It's easy to break the quest chain, though.

You may just want to have fun your first time through, there are 4 endings.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

The worst thing that happens from taking levels from Yoel is your character looks like beef jerky. Also Yuria sells a prayerbook so if you're doing a faith playthru that's something you may want.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Horace Kinch posted:

The worst thing that happens from taking levels from Yoel is your character looks like beef jerky. Also Yuria sells a prayerbook so if you're doing a faith playthru that's something you may want.

And then if u wear the ring that makes you look nice again, the fire keeper maiden disrespects you.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I was wondering where all the goddamn NPC summons where, as I'd only seen a SINGLE one so far (who invaded, fun fight). Turns out you have to have an ember on to see them? Hopefully not to get NPC invaded too. God I hope not, the availability of NPCs in DS2 during offline mode was great and it feels like a desert out here currently.

Also do you punch or press A to reveal hidden walls? Seen zero so far.

Thanks for the tips so far, eagerly awaiting my first holy gem drop as the smith now offers it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
DS3 circles back hard to the DS1 style of doing things. So embering up is what controls all online/pseudo-online stuff the same way going human in DS1 did, and illusory walls need to be struck with a weapon or rolled into to reveal.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Serephina posted:

I was wondering where all the goddamn NPC summons where, as I'd only seen a SINGLE one so far (who invaded, fun fight). Turns out you have to have an ember on to see them? Hopefully not to get NPC invaded too. God I hope not, the availability of NPCs in DS2 during offline mode was great and it feels like a desert out here currently.

Also do you punch or press A to reveal hidden walls? Seen zero so far.

Thanks for the tips so far, eagerly awaiting my first holy gem drop as the smith now offers it.

You have to be embered to see summon signs, and yes this does make you vulnerable to invasions (including NPC invasions). That said in DS3 invaders are usually at a huge disadvantage (30% HP penalty, estus flask capacity reduced by 50%) so if another player invades you your odds of dunking them are pretty generous, espeicially if you have darkmoon allies showing up to assist you. After an invasion, win or lose there's a grace period that has to elapse before you're eligible to be invaded again (15 mins iirc), and it also causes the seed of a giant tree to spawn back at firelink. The seed will cause enemies to no longer ignore invading players for 45 seconds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the seed used to be permanent for that game instance and even speaking as someone who was usually on the receiving end of the effect it was way more fun that way

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
everything else looks like poo poo in this world, why shouldn't i? you better believe i'm taking those free levels

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, I never really figured out the 'trick' with the red-light-green-light guys in the jail who drain your maxhp, and now there's a room full of like eight of them that's wide open and I don't think charging at them Rambo style is gonna work. What exactly was I supposed to have learned previously, other than corner-ambushing and stunlocking?

Also finally found my first faith weapon, a greatsword from a skeleton boss. It hits exactly as hard as my raw-infused longsword, whoops? Not the sword's fault, I've just smeared my stats all over the place and it's gonna be ages till I can make something that hits hard. Sigh.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Serephina posted:

Uh, I never really figured out the 'trick' with the red-light-green-light guys in the jail who drain your maxhp, and now there's a room full of like eight of them that's wide open and I don't think charging at them Rambo style is gonna work. What exactly was I supposed to have learned previously, other than corner-ambushing and stunlocking?

Also finally found my first faith weapon, a greatsword from a skeleton boss. It hits exactly as hard as my raw-infused longsword, whoops? Not the sword's fault, I've just smeared my stats all over the place and it's gonna be ages till I can make something that hits hard. Sigh.
You're right that charging in is not a good idea. It's a much better one to use a bow and draw them out one by one. There is also an actual trick to this room - you can sneak to a cell on the side, and in there is an enemy that will attack the jailers. I've never done that, but you can try looking for it?

As to how they actually work, they basically constantly shoot a max HP reducing projectile directly forward using their line of sight. The light and other effects are just cosmetic. Don't allow them to look at you; that is all.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
They feel downright unfinished. My first instinct was that their fart cloud did...literally anything at all, but nnnooope!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

There’s some good loot in that room, but you can always yolo right through it to the other side and keep running.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Unlike DS2, you can run past pretty much everything.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
If you cast pestilent mist and shoot an arrow on the ground when the jailors walk into it, they'll just stand there and die.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHISHKABOB posted:

And then if u wear the ring that makes you look nice again, the fire keeper maiden disrespects you.

Never used that ring because my character always has a helmet so I'm curious, why the fire keeper does that? doesn't she even offers to "cure" for hollowing?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Guillermus posted:

Never used that ring because my character always has a helmet so I'm curious, why the fire keeper does that? doesn't she even offers to "cure" for hollowing?

She also will do constant twirls if you use the dragon meditation gesture. So maybe it's not ~deep lore~ and more the devs doing something silly.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I like all these kind of details that I learn about after years and hundreds of hours played

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
So, suggestions/help for the faith beatstick in the mid game-ish? Basically I've been rocking this raw longsword all game and I've recently gotten the lightning enchant spell, which is excellent and fun. I spent my blessed infusion gem on a bident (huge mistake), and I have one lightning gem that I don't wanna blow on the wrong thing. I have finally started cranking faith and have 35fth currently. Weapon suggestions?
  • Raw Long sword: I get six swipes and can blender anything that it can stagger, awesome. Unfortunately, other than dogs nothing gets staggered to it, especially the dangerous stuff like knights or dudes with hard-to-interrupt (hyperarmour?) attacks.
  • The boss-souls greatsword from the big skeleton: Has faith scaling and I like how stuff reacts to getting hit by it. It's finally hitting harder than the raw sword BUT CAN'T CAST LIGHTNING ENCHANTMENT ON IT WHAT!?
  • Holy-infused Bident: Sucks terribly, sorry. Also I hate spear poking, I only enchanted it since I was desperate for anything that faith scaled. Rather big dearth of ones dropping naturally.
  • Mace: Looks cool, feels ok-ish if boring, not sure if it staggers enough? But is basically the perfect role-play of what I want to be: in the cursed cathedral area near the two giants, there where some heavy armour bruisers with greatshields who buffed themselves? Yea I wanna be them.
  • Mysterious weapon that's totally gonna drop soon, just you wait: I'm getting sick of waiting for the perfect toy to drop. Ideally it'll be one-handed so I can keep using this 16Str greatshield, not impractically ponderous, yet still have some good stagger when I smack people with it. Oh, and has faith scaling and can let me enchant it with this lightning spell which feels like the only paladin-like thing I've gotten ahold of. And a pony, please.

Should I blow my lightning gem on the longsword to stack the elemental damages, keep the longsword as raw as the lightning buff works off of base damage (???), maybe try out a very vanilla weapon which has escaped my notice as so far? (16Str/13dex fwiw)

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Dragonslayer Axe has excellent faith scaling. If you raw infuse you can also buff it with greases and enchants.

I for one plan on using Lothric Knight Greatsword and cosplaying as Laxasia during Return to Lothric.