Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

mags posted:

she could instead cancel the shows while healthy and prevent spread at her concerts ahh nah she can mitigate but you don’t get poo poo. now get back in the fuckin office nerd, and don’t be late for todays pot luck *cough cough*

It's not like anyone is even saying the c word anywhere. The bar is really low

E: I see some folks around here dicknosing a surgical mask and I'm like "Good on you for trying". Ain't nobody else is masking up at all and even with a lovely effort, it takes lot to just resist the peer pressure so any amount is a good thing.

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:08 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68401264

So another cruise ship got another outbreak. Let see what it is this time.

... Cholera?? How tf do a cruise ship get Cholera? You would expect a ship would have a proper filtered water and plumbing systems for all of the guests

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
ruh roh! someone forgot to wash their hands after taking a poo poo and before making the buffet salad

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

the article makes it clear she doesn't mind getting covid betwen show runs

so don't get too worked up

but it's nice

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
had a black pilled conversation about COVID with my PCP today at a routine medication check; at this point he seems to more share my views than not :laugh:

so then I stopped at the post office to see if my mail hold was going to be delivered or if I needed to pick it up and they told me my driver was sick and I should not expect any mail until tomorrow, sorry

so then I went to the pharmacy to get the scripts I had called in this morning, it was half shuttered and the single person working there (who I had never seen before) apologetically said they are the only one in today and therefore I would be better off coming back later today than waiting. (With a 2-3 person usual staff, this is typically a 20 minute wait, which beats a 40 min round trip to town).

anyway. Fall Of The USSR poo poo for sure

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

NeonPunk posted:

It's not like anyone is even saying the c word anywhere. The bar is really low

E: I see some folks around here dicknosing a surgical mask and I'm like "Good on you for trying". Ain't nobody else is masking up at all and even with a lovely effort, it takes lot to just resist the peer pressure so any amount is a good thing.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Trying not to freak out because it could mean nothing but I had bloodwork done and checked the portal before the doctor called - and he did an ESR blood test that is showing scary high results.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

Trying not to freak out because it could mean nothing but I had bloodwork done and checked the portal before the doctor called - and he did an ESR blood test that is showing scary high results.

I think you have good reason to be concerned, pillowpants. I hope it’s nothing this time though, or it helps them get at what’s going on in your body

is your blood extra bubbly or extra flat?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

NeonPunk posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-68401264

So another cruise ship got another outbreak. Let see what it is this time.

... Cholera?? How tf do a cruise ship get Cholera? You would expect a ship would have a proper filtered water and plumbing systems for all of the guests

it's... more likely than you might think? cruise ships are always one ajar freezer away from turning into a dystopian medieval cesspit

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I swear I've been reading that Adele quote / story for over a year now.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cholera is so easy to prevent. don't let the poop water touch the fresh water. the systems to do that are simple, cheap, established, and generally pretty foolproof

is it possible those people got it while OFF the ship somewhere....?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Posting some good news for a change

https://twitter.com/Daniel_E_Park/status/1762176761821802782

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Hmm, I should maybe go get a second shot

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So I'm testing negative now after the 5 day Pax regimen and I'm going to do 2 more days of staying home and testing every day to make sure I don't rebound. As long as it's still negative I will go back to work on Thursday as I really loving need the money (bills are stacking up and the past year has been an absolute shitshow for work so I'm treading water).

Last September I got the updated Pfizer shot (my 6th overall) and now it's been long enough that I'm going to try and get the Novavax (as long as the CDC's Bridge Access Program will still allow me to get the shot again) but my question is how long should I wait after having Covid?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

A month minimum. Your body is chock full of antibodies right now and getting a shot will just get those antibodies to latch on to the vaccine and not having your body create any new antibodies.

Wait like 2 month or 3.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Groovy, thank you for the info.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Todays masking win:

I saw my old boss who I loving hated at the USPS office and ive never been so thankful to be masked. He was eyeballing me super hard though so i think he was starting to figure out who i was but i was already bookin it out of the building.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1762181358246580549

quote:

The overall effectiveness of previous infection in preventing reinfection with JN.1 was estimated at only 1.8% (95% CI: −9.3-12.6%)

Even the virus is evolving to make nature's vaccine ineffective

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's so kind of Nature to continue to try her damndest to give us her vaccine though!

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

By the time Novavax was available I'd had the rest of my shots, so I got it as an extra treat. But, that means it was a booster and not part of a series. Is there any reason not go go back to pharmacy-shopping for someone to give me a second jab?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Deadly H5N1 avian influenza strain detected on mainland Antarctica for the first time

terrific :sigh:

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Hungry Squirrel posted:

By the time Novavax was available I'd had the rest of my shots, so I got it as an extra treat. But, that means it was a booster and not part of a series. Is there any reason not go go back to pharmacy-shopping for someone to give me a second jab?

Nope. Get that shot.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

What exactly are the mechanics behind differing levels of waning?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/meetjess/status/1762189695734178026?s=46

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

but she was at the loving super bowl lmao

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

toggle posted:

but she was at the loving super bowl lmao

it's the same principle as having a secret service detail around a complete dipshit president; it's got nothing to do with what the person being protected believes or wants and everything to do with what puts the operation built around them at risk. when there's enough money, maybe you cant control what the principal does but you can try to control everything else. maybe she gets covid or whatever from high fiving the entire nfl but you can at least make sure the roadies dont give it to her.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1762255554561311162

Gotta love that 'Swiss flavor'

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

You left out the most "lol lmao" part of the thread:

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1762255568117387576

Commentary from elsewhere:

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1762282895249379525

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

The Oldest Man posted:

it's the same principle as having a secret service detail around a complete dipshit president; it's got nothing to do with what the person being protected believes or wants and everything to do with what puts the operation built around them at risk. when there's enough money, maybe you cant control what the principal does but you can try to control everything else. maybe she gets covid or whatever from high fiving the entire nfl but you can at least make sure the roadies dont give it to her.

this is the correct take

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
can’t wait to see how the Swiss variant holds up against the Swiss cheese model

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

these hamas videos are getting abstract

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I did it. I ordered fifty combo rapid tests from that German healthcare site, gonna split em up with my idiot family who are always getting sick.

Wonder how long they'll take to get here or if they'll be like, Trump n95 masks style intercepted at the border

hey these showed up today it was less than 2 weeks from Austria to my front door in new york state

total cost all in was $5.25 a test

they don't expire

until January 2026

I now kinda know how posters in other nations feel about the vaccines?? this poo poo is just OUT THERE and the USA is like "nah $25 a two pack for poo poo tier covid-only tests"

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Pyrolocutus posted:

You left out the most "lol lmao" part of the thread:

"No conspiracies please."

https://twitter.com/SolidEvidence/status/1762255566892642628

Zantie has issued a correction as of 04:53 on Feb 27, 2024

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Gunshow Poophole posted:

hey these showed up today it was less than 2 weeks from Austria to my front door in new york state

they don't expire

until January 2026

I now kinda know how posters in other nations feel about the vaccines?? this poo poo is just OUT THERE and the USA is like "nah $25 a two pack for poo poo tier covid-only tests"

Are these able to detect more recent variants? I use the iHealth RATS for $2.70 each if I buy 12 at a time.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Mola Yam posted:

these hamas videos are getting abstract

:lol:

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

they don't expire

until January 2026

I missed this post. Where are these from?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Are these able to detect more recent variants? I use the iHealth RATS for $2.70 each if I buy 12 at a time.

Rapid tests generally detect a highly conserved region of the virus, so do not lose much if any efficacy variant to variant. They're not great to begin with but don't fade as the virus evolves in the ways we've seen so far.

These tests also detect flu a/b and rsv lol

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh neat! I hope they server you and the family well

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Woodsy Owl posted:

I missed this post. Where are these from?

https://meinarztbedarf.com/en-ww/products/fluorecare%C2%AE-sars-cov-2-influenza-a-b-rsv-antigen-kombi-test-1-series-pack

I bought a box of fifty to make the dang $75 shipping and customs price worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bred
Oct 24, 2008
$77 to ship to me and $6 off a 50 pack.