Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

The Oldest Man posted:

They do, and in addition you can't go through the work/break area boundary at an Amazon facility without going through a badge-access turnstile that looks like this:

So presumably the facial recognition camera is for some other purpose than just monitoring who is taking breaks since they already know that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

The Oldest Man posted:

They do, and in addition you can't go through the work/break area boundary at an Amazon facility without going through a badge-access turnstile that looks like this:

So presumably the facial recognition camera is for some other purpose than just monitoring who is taking breaks since they already know that.

jesus loving christ, can someone rid me of this turbulent Bezos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Oldest Man posted:

Welcome to the Ont Stimpire

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ontario Empire? We're going to invade Buffalo despite Gov Hochul's warnings?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

you ever see something and it makes you feel like if a human mind produced that then all of humanity is damned as a result?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Scarabrae posted:

you ever see something and it makes you feel like if a human mind produced that then all of humanity is damned as a result?

Yeah whenever you post

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Precambrian Video Games posted:

Ontario Empire? We're going to invade Buffalo despite Gov Hochul's warnings?

I’m assuming it’s by Ontario airport in the Inland Empire part of Southern California but who knows.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

how soon before they just remove the exits?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

RadiRoot posted:

back before the pandemic there were a couple of articles about Amazon warehouses which had break rooms, but work tempos which would cause you to get fired if you ever took a break, so what the rooms wound up being used for was people having crying breakdowns and to gently caress in

i worked at a target warehouse for a little bit and im pretty sure a pretext was found to fire me because a dock manager kept hassling me about stopping after break time to piss and thus coming back after everyone else and my reaction was to explain that employers are prohibited from harassing employees about reasonable bathroom breaks during work hours

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

RadiRoot posted:

Mandatory ozempic injections for warehouse workers so lunch breaks are unnecessary.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Oldest Man posted:

Needs some humanoid AI guard robots with non-human faces to rough me up when I take too long fumbling to get my ID out of my pocket.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Scarabrae posted:

constantly

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DancingShade posted:

Needs some humanoid AI guard robots with non-human faces to rough me up when I take too long fumbling to get my ID out of my pocket.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJshjMyg6no

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Thoguh posted:

I’m assuming it’s by Ontario airport in the Inland Empire part of Southern California but who knows.

area is turning into warehouse land

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-10-27/fontana-california-warehouses-inland-empire-pollution

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Way too nice and gentle. I was thinking more Elysium for some proper indifferent brutality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW6wRX54Xk8

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

It was being turned into warehouse land five years ago, the transformation is complete now. it's an endless field of featureless industrial enclosure for miles and miles along the 10 east of Claremont

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Thoguh posted:

They have the LA Kings' farm team. I hope more than one person has a good story to tell about going/sending something to the wrong Ontario, CA, like the guy who somehow went to Sydney, NS instead of Australia.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

A Toronto Star article about China wanting Canada to invest in Belt & Road projects, which starts off with the kind of criticism you'd expect from the sources you'd expect to hear it from, then has some of the usual warnings about how China is heading for demographic and economic collapse, then gets around to explaining the actual news:

quote:

What is Beijing's pitch for Canadian investors?

Ambassador Cong is issuing a call for corporate Canada to directly invest in BRI projects in third countries.

"Canada is also emphasizing a lot on the green economy, and their transition to a low-carbon and circular economy. So I think we'd be interested in doing things like that — not only bilateral, but also fully multilaterally, in that arena," he said.

Cong said Canadian corporations should consider visiting China and looking at how they can reap returns on these projects while contributing to a better world.

That's different from having Ottawa or provinces hold a financial stake, or China building infrastructure in Canada. Instead, pension funds and private investors would help finance projects in third countries.

In addition, Cong said Canadian companies could win lucrative contracts to build projects. He gave the example of the American elevator company Otis helping to build train stations in Egypt through the BRI.

He said Canadian companies could rely on goods made in Canada or abroad; he noted that China opened its manufacturing sector to more foreign investment this year.

"Currently, I have no specific information for whether Canadian enterprises have been in (BRI) projects, but I believe there are huge potentials for that," Cong said. "I understand that some of them are really interested."

This would have been a good time to mention that Canadian darling SNC-Lavalin, whose new name I've already forgotten, built prisons in Libya. So whatever you think of B&R and the motivations behind it, it seems more likely to be benign or even mutually beneficial.

It then ends by saying the US and Australia are hostile to all of this and so good luck. It could have used some more introspection about the morality of various Canadian foreign ventures (resources especially) but I suppose introspection is too much to hope for.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This would have been a good time to mention that Canadian darling SNC-Lavalin, whose new name I've already forgotten, built prisons in Libya. So whatever you think of B&R and the motivations behind it, it seems more likely to be benign or even mutually beneficial.

Canada has a shocking per-capita amount of evil global corporations. Look into Barrick Gold sometime.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

FirstnameLastname posted:

real arbeit macht vibes off fhis

"So that's it? Work makes us free?"

"I don't recall saying makes us free."

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SKULL.GIF posted:

Canada has a shocking per-capita amount of evil global corporations. Look into Barrick Gold sometime.

canada is an insanely evil country that it's very funny for most the 70s-aughtys it had a reputation as a friendly laid-back easy-going peace-loving neighbor

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

A Toronto Star article about China wanting Canada to invest in Belt & Road projects, which starts off with the kind of criticism you'd expect from the sources you'd expect to hear it from, then has some of the usual warnings about how China is heading for demographic and economic collapse, then gets around to explaining the actual news:

It then ends by saying the US and Australia are hostile to all of this and so good luck. It could have used some more introspection about the morality of various Canadian foreign ventures (resources especially) but I suppose introspection is too much to hope for.

Australia is just a hollow hand puppet so whatever it says just replace with "US".

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Xaris posted:

canada is an insanely evil country that it's very funny for most the 70s-aughtys it had a reputation as a friendly laid-back easy-going peace-loving neighbor

modest public healthcare system will do wonders for your reputation when america is just under you

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

and the chaser lmfao https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2024-02-21/inland-empires-logistics-warehouse-trucking-economy-layoff-downturn

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Xaris posted:

when a bunch of right-wingers stormed the capital they actually set fire to the legislative building and made the gov't move elsewhere. america could never :canada:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Laser targeted despair algorithm feed jfc

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The Oldest Man posted:

how can I help put guns into the hands of Amazon workers

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asproigerosis posted:

Laser targeted despair algorithm feed jfc

All those juicy and nourishing office pizza parties I'm sure.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Chairman Xi I will invest in b&r please call me

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Real hurthling! posted:

you know they still come out even if you arent at the hospital

you can google about the rise of freebirthers if you want to read a lot of incredibly depressing stories about the increasing rates of needless mother and child death related to this, actually.

turns out we live in the epilogue of the movie threads but it's due to capitalism instead of nuclear warfare.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

A couple years ago my workplace replace all the vending machine with self-serve kiosks where all the snacks and food are just freely sitting there on shelves and in fridges and you have to self-scan and pay for them yourself. A bunch of people immediately got fired because they monitor the kiosks areas with cameras and I hear there is basically a steady-stream of people getting caught. This was a nationwide change to the break rooms from what I understand, and I'm convinced the system was just put in as an easy way to fire union employees.
High vs low trust society

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Mansion death watch

https://twitter.com/CollinRugg/status/1761884758441947170

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

“what’s it going to do, fail catastrophically and fall into the ocean?”

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
If I was 82 I’d probably just ride it out too. if it falls in whatever, I won’t be there anymore.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Moving sucks, so i get it

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Minera posted:

you can google about the rise of freebirthers if you want to read a lot of incredibly depressing stories about the increasing rates of needless mother and child death related to this, actually.

turns out we live in the epilogue of the movie threads but it's due to capitalism instead of nuclear warfare.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Hilarious that the local government is too chickenshit to red tag it. Rules are only for the little people.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

A couple years ago my workplace replace all the vending machine with self-serve kiosks where all the snacks and food are just freely sitting there on shelves and in fridges and you have to self-scan and pay for them yourself. A bunch of people immediately got fired because they monitor the kiosks areas with cameras and I hear there is basically a steady-stream of people getting caught. This was a nationwide change to the break rooms from what I understand, and I'm convinced the system was just put in as an easy way to fire union employees.
My office has those but the cameras are obvious and there are literal signs the area is being recorded so you’d have to be exceptionally dumb to try and steal something.

On one side the break rooms having cameras seems dystopian otoh the break rooms with the markets/cameras means your food doesn’t get stolen from the fridges either which is nice. As of yet I’ve heard of no one being fired for taking too long of breaks/lunches or whatever but it is a p lax office job.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

just progressively add stilts like those water borne houses in florida

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I think he should stay