Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

The art direction in this game is kinda putting me off. Everything feels like a dark, drab smear.

I'm maybe five or six hours in and just unlocked my mastery. Is the whole game midnight sewer do does it eventually open up into some livelier environments?

It does get more visually interesting later on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
So is there a prophecy for unique rune daggers or have I thrown away a staggering amount of standing?

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Once these are full then there's no point in doing any side quests anymore, right?

Correct, afaik the only other reward is experience.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat in pretty sure I had my mastery after like an hour/hour and a half. Move faster so you spend less time in the drab areas

Xenthalon
Jun 28, 2010

HopperUK posted:

Paladin's got that spinny skill, maybe there's something there

Good call, I currently play a spin2win build (only at level 40 though), and it's great fun.

I lucked into a relic that throws axes every second while spinning, and gives me 120% increased phys while dual wielding. The thrown axes apply stacks of fire and phys shred, and I took enough skill points to lower spin channeling mana cost to 0. I took another node that summons flaming swords while spinning (which usually only spawn by using the skill Forge Strike), and then some increased area and damage stuff.

So I perma spin2win through the levels, have a Armor-minion and around 10 flaming swords following me around, clearing up the stragglers, automatically lowering fire and phy res for enemies and generously apply burning and bleed to enemies. Then there is shield wall for tough fights, which you can also summon without having to break spinning, and the last skill is still undecided.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Oh yeah well in d4 I can make my spell do more damage or more critical damage

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh, I didn't realize that Smoke Bomb + Dive Bomb would make it so that you could have several smoke clouds out in the field at the same time.

It was pretty funny during the last boss when the whole boss arena was covered in smoke all the time.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

queeb posted:

Oh yeah well in d4 I can make my spell do more damage or more critical damage

I'm going to laugh when that specific pair of nodes gets updated in a patch before a big skill revamp or expac

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Skippy McPants posted:

The art direction in this game is kinda putting me off. Everything feels like a dark, drab smear.

I'm maybe five or six hours in and just unlocked my mastery. Is the whole game midnight sewer do does it eventually open up into some livelier environments?

Try turning off Volumetric Lighting. The Ruined Era is all void stuff, then you get put up against The Empire which is mostly spooky undead. These are dark and drab. Once you're past that the environments vary a bit more. 1.0 also added a lighting system that actually does make end game maps feel different based on whatever random preset you get.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
that game is dead to me unless that game manages to pull a rabbit out of its hat and

1) fix itemization

2) make a season worth playing for more than 5 minutes

3) goes on an apology tour and makes the first expansion free

all by next season

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i've been having a lot of fun but i've run into a nasty bug? 4 or 5 times at this point where my mana will stop regenating completely and i'll be totally unable to cast any spells or do anything aside from moving and drinking potions until i quit and rejoin. that just completely killed a dungeon run which just kinda kills the want to engage with any of those types of elements

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Jack Trades posted:

Oh, I didn't realize that Smoke Bomb + Dive Bomb would make it so that you could have several smoke clouds out in the field at the same time.

It was pretty funny during the last boss when the whole boss arena was covered in smoke all the time.

Yeah I believe that interaction is kinda busted lol, it's +40% smoke bomb duration if you dive bomb inside a smoke cloud, but I believe all the repeat dives from shadow birds and the other repeats from diving inside a smoke cloud causing another repeat, means it's getting like +40% duration 7x per time you dive bomb, basically making them all infinite

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

queeb posted:

so uh shadow daggers is still fuckin good poo poo eh, trying out falconer shadow daggers and lol

The controller support for aerial assault is super wonky. It always sends you max range and will fling you in the direction you least expect. It also doesn't you invincible like shift. That said, it looks a thousand times cooler than shift.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jack Trades posted:

Once these are full then there's no point in doing any side quests anymore, right?

Where do you find this?

E: Nm, it's on the map in the lower left. Only 9/15 and 1/8 for me so far in beginning of A4 I think?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

Where do you find this?

Bottom left of the world map.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

How do you enable damage numbers in this game? There's this unchecked checkbox in settings which can't be checked. Does it require some kind of konami code or some other secret sauce?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can you get uniques from the gambler?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

watho posted:

i've been having a lot of fun but i've run into a nasty bug? 4 or 5 times at this point where my mana will stop regenating completely and i'll be totally unable to cast any spells or do anything aside from moving and drinking potions until i quit and rejoin. that just completely killed a dungeon run which just kinda kills the want to engage with any of those types of elements

What class/build are you?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

huh these seem good? for my falconer? just a random rear end drop

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

This morning was the smoothest the game has been. No messages when logging in about issues on the top banner, no long loads. Player count was above 200k so hopefully they've sorted things finally.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol i crafted on these real quick just to bump up the necrotic res, ended up getting 2 crits, so now it still has 24 forge left, t5 movement, t5 res, and im out of CDR shards but once thats done I'll add that up to t5 and these'll be pretty dope

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

queeb posted:

lol i crafted on these real quick just to bump up the necrotic res, ended up getting 2 crits, so now it still has 24 forge left, t5 movement, t5 res, and im out of CDR shards but once thats done I'll add that up to t5 and these'll be pretty dope

Do you have any of the runes of research? You can use one of those to seal the experimental affix and then add another one on there. Would probably be pretty worth it on those.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Can you get uniques from the gambler?

You cannot (you can from the soul gambler in Bastion)

queeb posted:

FWIW these are a fairly common drop from Exiled Mages, personally I’d look for a better base to craft on. There’s also a specific rune you can use to seal the exile mod so you can add a 5th affix.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Just blew through my entire weekend playing. Game good.
It's been a good long while that I can sit down and learn an ARPG and not need a doctorate or external tool to understand what the hell I'm doing. I'm not even using a build guide! Not trying to knock POE but it sometimes it just goes... too far. Last Epoch is more my speed.

I love PoE, but any game where you play it a crapton, the minor things really start to feel like big things.

And boy, do I not miss dealing with portal scrolls and identifying things. Plus, without identifying, the loot filter is actually good! And in-game! And easy!

I don't know that PoE2 is willing to give up the outdated identify mechanic (but they've already surprised us with the AH and easy respecs). I really don't think PoE1 will ever get rid of them. I feel like PoE2 means major system changes to PoE1 won't happen.

Saxophone posted:

Lagon just feels weirdly overtuned

He's a dick, for sure. I ended up skipping him and doing like the next 3 monoliths, then came back to him and finally got him.

Any boss that one-shots is pretty tough, and I think Lagon's numbers are tuned higher than others so that more hits one shot. Even his waves hurt a lot.

Plus his sweeping eye laser and direct eye laser shot, which likely will one-shot you, don't have a lot of tell. You have to never stand directly in front him, and make sure he's not positioned in a way so that if he starts his sweep, that you'll be trapped.

So yeah, he's just a dick. I finally got him last night, and now I'm on the Husk of Elder Gaspar, which is the final normal monolith boss. I can avoid the mechanics, but it's also such an endurance fight. It's well telegraphed and everything, just again a case of "one error is likely to one shot you". It's fun though. I'm sure I'll get it soon.

queeb posted:

huh these seem good? for my falconer? just a random rear end drop

Just in case you didn't know - those are "Experimental". You'll see a special cage sometimes, with its own icon on the map, and when you open it, an Exiled mage spawns, and they always drop 1 Experimental item. Those items have a special affix (in blue) that doesn't exist as a shard.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

xZAOx posted:

Just in case you didn't know - those are "Experimental". You'll see a special cage sometimes, with its own icon on the map, and when you open it, an Exiled mage spawns, and they always drop 1 Experimental item. Those items have a special affix (in blue) that doesn't exist as a shard.

oh neat, i basically one shot the entire screen as i go so I didnt even notice a special mob lol. falconer is OP

and yeah im only level 63 so these will carry me until way later when i can get a nice exalted pair to craft on

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Yeah Lagon, especially the monolith version, seems overtuned a bit. I have maxed cold and lightning resistance and any of his beams touching me is a one shot. I know I need more health, but I seem to recall it being deadly but not “a single error is the end of the fight” deadly before 1.0. Although the new version of the fight with attack his tentacles instead of him and his weird hitbox is an improvement for sure.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
ARPG's favourite "just don't get hit" vOv
I literally see zero difference between my 800hp falconer and 4k hp+90% hp as ward reaper lich in terms of survivability, and some streamers/youtuber personalities stated that devs actually designed some stuff to be strictly untankable and one shot, so idk

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
How’s warlock on controller?

From posts above, sounds like falconer isn’t too great on controller. Was really hoping they would nail controller support for 1.0. I like to zone out and play on the living room tv or steam deck.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Feb 26, 2024

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Kaddish posted:

How’s warlock on controller?

I'm playing static orb sorc on controller and it's pretty good. I'd imagine warlock is as well. I'd only need to switch if i need to specifically target areas with my TP as on controller movement skills just try to go max range. and can be a bit hard to target individual enemy in a group with how controller targeting works.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Draynar posted:

I'm playing static orb sorc on controller and it's pretty good. I'd imagine warlock is as well. I'd only need to switch if i need to specifically target areas with my TP as on controller movement skills just try to go max range. and can be a bit hard to target individual enemy in a group with how controller targeting works.

Yeah, so sounds like EA days. Probably not ideal for pushing monos but fine for basic leveling.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

A Real Horse posted:

Yeah Lagon, especially the monolith version, seems overtuned a bit. I have maxed cold and lightning resistance and any of his beams touching me is a one shot. I know I need more health, but I seem to recall it being deadly but not “a single error is the end of the fight” deadly before 1.0. Although the new version of the fight with attack his tentacles instead of him and his weird hitbox is an improvement for sure.

I used a travel skill at the same time as his phase transition back to the kill lagon part and it left me outside the fight area, so I got to just summon minions into the fight while I safely stood outside of the range of 90% of his attacks lol

I was worried I wouldn't be able to get the quest item at the end but the tentacle walls eventually disappeared after I wandered around a bit

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

A Real Horse posted:

Oh, so it's not just me. I don't find him particularly difficult but I was getting one-shot by his stuff even with capped res and despite having no real issues up until fighting him. I thought maybe my eHP was low but looking through my gear there was no immediately easy way to pump it up either.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You gotta learn the mechanics, I'm afraid. It's the first - and only - fight where you have to

Hauki
May 11, 2010

zoux posted:

You gotta learn the mechanics, I'm afraid. It's the first - and only - fight where you have to

it's probably in your interest to learn the dungeon boss mechanics eventually too

unless you're jamming 300k ward or whatever

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

zoux posted:

Well that one and the monolith boss that does that weird pie chart attack

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

I've had a couple of monolith bosses one-shot my falconer. Lagon does it with his sweeping water beam and his big telegraphed circle tentacle smash, and the Emperor of Corpses does it with his breath attack (maybe other attacks too, but that's the only one that isn't super telegraphed so I dodged the others).

With Lagon I solved it by basically just doing figure-eights back and forth between the two tentacles constantly, dropping umbral blades and falcon strikes as I got in range. If you're always switching sides like that, the sweeping beam will be way behind you and moving the other direction, so it's no problem. You just have to keep your eye out for the big circle so you don't run into it. Phase 2 doesn't have any one-shot attacks so it's just dodging waves while you let the bird slaughter things for you.

I do wish Aerial Assault had an "invulnerable while moving" node like other non-teleport traversal skills.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

No no, I get the mechanics, I'm just not the best at executing things and I got distracted and died to the big icy beam twice last night while doing him in an empowered monolith. It was entirely my fault but also felt kind of silly to die to a beam attack rather than some screen-wide avoidable aoe that's supposed to be one-shot, if that makes sense. My build also has sort of mediocre single target DPS so I was just piddling away and having to redo that minute intermission of killing tentacles at the bottom arena was kind of boring.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Boss mechanics haven't been too bothersome for me on Void Knight. I have Lunge with invulnerability spec'ed and un-specialized Rebuke that seems to do the trick for most occasions.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Lagon is different from other boss fights (besides Majasa, who doesn't have a monolith version) that he's not just a bunch of very telegraphed high damage attacks. His telegraphs are more about his animations than the ground in front of him and there's lots and lots of small damage to chip away your health. If you have good sustain you can ignore a lot of stuff like the waves and if you don't get oneshot by his claw smash you basically can only die due to standing in the water beam for too long.
Its probably the fight where a solid defensive baseline is helping you the most, as opposed to most stuff in this game which is "avoid the circles, nuke the boss".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Repeatedly using your traversal skill to jump between the tentacles avoid most of his attacks automatically, I found.