Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

This actually isn't the case in the original. Reeve directly controls Cait Sith somehow. There's a scene where he is in a meeting with Scarlet and Heidegger and talking to the party at the same time and he actually ends up using the wrong accent because he's so flustered.

Oh weird lol

Do they ever explain how Cait Sith keeps operating while Reeve is in prison or did he just smuggle his controller in with him or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Oh weird lol

Do they ever explain how Cait Sith keeps operating while Reeve is in prison or did he just smuggle his controller in with him or something?

It's never explained but Reeve appears to just control him mentally somehow so it's possible they had no actual way TO remove his control. Mumble mumble magic materia mako teechnology I guess.

The easiest answer is just that Reeve can control Cait Sith as an extension of himself, which isn't the first or last time that gimmick appears in FF.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah that makes sense. Well as much as any "It's magic, don't think too hard about it" explanation can make sense, so... it makes enough sense. I'm also now remembering that Scarlet and Heidegger scene and hoping it happens in the Remake trilogy at some point because it was funny

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah that makes sense. I'm also now remembering that Scarlet and Heidegger scene and hoping it happens in the Remake trilogy at some point because it was funny

I'm sure it will. Rebirth rewrites Cait Sith slightly but mostly in really solid ways that help make him feel like more of a character and it doesn't shy away from the humor.

Honestly Cait probably gets the biggest glow-up in the game. I love the little furry poo poo now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I feel like Reeve and Cait were two separate character concepts that got merged during development.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't want to spoil the end of Rebirth but the last scene is Cait Sith waking up in bed and looking at a snow globe which has the Forgotten Capital inside. Then Three Doors Down starts to play over the credits.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dang, that's completely different from what I heard. I was told it was Sephiroth, being in a state of melancholy, staring off into the distance at the peaks of the Northern Crater. Then Behind Blue Eyes plays over the credits.

Both sound plausible so I don't know what to believe!

Kale
May 14, 2010

Speaking of Reeve, I still love the scene in remake where all the executives including the president make fun of Reeve for having basic morals and not being evil and end stage capitalist enough to come to the conclusion that Midgar is finished and deliberately sabotaging a part of their city and killing thousands was the only possible way. The mayor was also kind of a joke in the remake but also the only other one that kind of seemed to realize how out of control Shinra had gotten, that if left unchecked he won't even have a city to fake govern anymore and that he's the only one they treat even more like poo poo than Reeve.

They also made President Shinra look way more like every 80's zaibatsu president arch-villain dude in the remake. In the original his model looks like a fat man in a red suit, but in the remake he looks like a Golgo 13 antagonist of the arc villain and even has the mustache and cigar. They somehow made the Shinra characters even sleazier and I love it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kale posted:

Speaking of Reeve, I still love the scene in remake where all the executives including the president make fun of Reeve for having basic morals and not being evil and end stage capitalist enough to come to the conclusion that Midgar is finished and deliberately sabotaging a part of their city and killing thousands was the only possible way. The mayor was also kind of a joke in the remake but also the only other one that kind of seemed to realize how out of control Shinra had gotten, that if left unchecked he won't even have a city to fake govern anymore and that he's the only one they treat even more like poo poo than Reeve.

They also made President Shinra look way more like every 80's zaibatsu president arch-villain dude in the remake. In the original his model looks like a fat man in a red suit, but in the remake he looks like a Golgo 13 antagonist of the arc villain and even has the mustache and cigar. They somehow made the Shinra characters even sleazier and I love it.

To be fair the mayor is a joke in the original too. Dude sits in an office coming up with puzzles and he's named after Dominos Pizza. (And his companion Pizza Hut.)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kale posted:

President Shin-Ra always had a moustache and I am moderately certain that in the OG there's a little cutscene when they drop the plate where he's looking out the window and watching it happen while listening to opera music and sipping brandy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

President Shinra tell me more about a world without lingua franca.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I remember Rufus being much more of a clown/comic relief character in og FF7, but maybe that's just because Rufus is a goofy name

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Rufus was the straight man to the rest of the zany c-suite, until he gets blown up anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I remember Rufus being much more of a clown/comic relief character in og FF7, but maybe that's just because Rufus is a goofy name

Nah, Rufus in the original was painted as a Super Cool Dude. Everyone around him except Reeve is batshit insane but Rufus is painted as Competent and Dangerous.

He just also has less than 50 lines of dialogue, most of which is him either going "I am totally going to get the Promised Land, gently caress YOU dad" or "Why are you all so stupid?"

The EU/Remake has leaned a bit harder into the idea that Rufus fuckin' hates/hated his dad but was actually a genuine True Believer in the Promised Land and focused on it much harder than his dad did.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 26, 2024

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Man I'm replaying og FF7 and I forgot how quick the pacing for this game was. Like idk why I remember the Corel Prison/Desert lasting forever as a kid lol

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I remember that taking forever because I couldn't for the life of me beat Dyne solo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I remember that taking forever because I couldn't for the life of me beat Dyne solo

Hilariously if you have a Right Arm you can toss it and it will instakill him.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I’m speeding up my OG FF7 playthrough by using the speed and battle boosts

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm nearing the end of Disc 2 on my FFVII OG playthrough and I'm pretty close to unlocking the last Limit Breaks for each character but I might just give up and use the battle cheats because getting LB gauge takes forever at my level.

Also I keep trying the Battle Square and losing

e: it'd probably be a lot easier if I had a Ribbon, but I appear to have hosed up and not gotten one

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Feb 26, 2024

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arist posted:

I'm nearing the end of Disc 2 on my FFVII OG playthrough and I'm pretty close to unlocking the last Limit Breaks for each character but I might just give up and use the battle cheats because getting LB gauge takes forever at my level.

Also I keep trying the Battle Square and losing

I remember grinding on a tiny island where the monsters hit pretty hard and casting Berserk on whomever I wanted to get their Limit Break. Still took hours, of course.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shoehead posted:

Yeah, Barret was consistently my least-played character so I had to spend like an hour or two level grinding in Correl Prison to get him up to snuff to face Dyne. Same with the Gi Caves in Cosmo Canyon and Red XIII. Had to spend some time AP grinding to get Ice 2 to be able to properly gently caress up the Gi Nattak because I didn't realize I could also kill it with healing magic because it was undead. Other than that, Wutai was the only other place I had any trouble with the first time around because of how pitiful all the characters are without materia.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, Barret was consistently my least-played character

Barrett being disappointed in you for picking Tifa and Aerith for your party when you leave Midgar is one of my favorite moments in gaming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

worm girl posted:

Barrett being disappointed in you for picking Tifa and Aerith for your party when you leave Midgar is one of my favorite moments in gaming.

Yeah, just him calling you out like "Oh, I get it, you just wanna hang out with all the pretty ladies, you playa. Well gently caress you then." It really makes you feel like an rear end in a top hat. Like "Oh poo poo, the game noticed me." :allears:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Funky Valentine posted:

I feel like Reeve and Cait were two separate character concepts that got merged during development.

Going by everything we know about the early versions of the game they were always the same character

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
There's a scene in DoC where Cait and Reeve interact with each other. I think it might be the only one in the compilation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Spermando posted:

There's a scene in DoC where Cait and Reeve interact with each other. I think it might be the only one in the compilation.

Yeah, I think like Vincent startles them and they pull the exact same "Wha-huh?!" move.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I think like Vincent startles them and they pull the exact same "Wha-huh?!" move.

"This isn't what it looks like!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Especially post Rebirth I just subscribe to the idea that Cait Sith is Reeve's internet fursona. He's like the Hermit Social Link in Persona 3 only instead of complaining on an MMO, he spends his time acting like a happy cartoon cat as a break from working for Planetkiller Inc.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ahhhhhhhh god drat it I want to play this game so loving bad ahhhhhhh

Okay thanks sorry, just had to get that out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am genuinely desperately excited to see people play this game, there are things I want to see people's response to so badly. I think I am more excited to see people's impressions than I was to play the game.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Will MY WIFE be able to sit through and potentially even enjoy Rebirth if she was able to previously sit through OG and the game/plot resonated enough in terms of its greater historical significance that she generally remembers the key plot points, but lost interest in Remake by chapter three because it's too slow and padded? Because I'm gonna play through the main story in its entirety in her presence either way

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

Will MY WIFE be able to sit through and potentially even enjoy Rebirth if she was able to previously sit through OG and the game/plot resonated enough in terms of its greater historical significance that she generally remembers the key plot points, but lost interest in Remake by chapter three because it's too slow and padded? Because I'm gonna play through the main story in its entirety in her presence either way

The plot is much faster paced than Remake since it's covering significantly more ground than the original but it depends on what she didn't like. Like each individual area is more fleshed out than in the original, just not to the degree Midgar was.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hearing they patched out aerith’s “steel sky” closing line in R1 to a more literal translation that sucks rear end (both the new line and the act of changing it)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the gently caress

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

hearing they patched out aerith’s “steel sky” closing line in R1 to a more literal translation that sucks rear end (both the new line and the act of changing it)

That had been an issue for a while, the line doesn't actually convey what Aerith was saying in that scene. She wasn't saying she missed Midgar, she was saying the wide open boundless sky scared her (because to her the planet is a safe and comfortable thing while the sky represents danger, since to the Cetra the sky is where alien dangers like Jenova came from.)

I think the original line is fine but there's stuff in Rebirth which kind of emphasizes "The sky is not necessarily a comforting/happy view for Aerith the way it may be to others" so I get why they reworked it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
“The sky… I don’t like it.” :geno:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The update also changed Tifa's flashback outfit to match her Rebirth version of the outfit (mostly it gives her an undershirt which is 100% fine because she's goddamn 14-15 in the flashback.)

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

That had been an issue for a while, the line doesn't actually convey what Aerith was saying in that scene. She wasn't saying she missed Midgar, she was saying the wide open boundless sky scared her (because to her the planet is a safe and comfortable thing while the sky represents danger, since to the Cetra the sky is where alien dangers like Jenova came from.)

I think the original line is fine but there's stuff in Rebirth which kind of emphasizes "The sky is not necessarily a comforting/happy view for Aerith the way it may be to others" so I get why they reworked it.

that subtext was all in the original line tbh

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

plus it had some nice poetical flourish and served as a touching metaphor for leaving behind the safe confines of what was known and familiar, matching the aim of the remake itself

bad move, bad form

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Super No Vacancy posted:

Considering it was one of the most argued about lines in the time period between the game came out and whenever someone bothered to translate the Ultimania to clarify the line, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that even if the subtext was there, it got missed too easily.