Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

idonotlikepeas posted:

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

"Our war is unpopular, but rulers love it."

DalaranJ posted:

A political cartoon named “tupping liberty”.
:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Gary Markstein

Michael Ramirez

Steve Breen

Tom Stiglich

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
An "Israel has nuclear weapons and cannot be trusted to honor a two state solution" Cartoon

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Neito posted:

Is it worse than when User Friendly hamfistedly made it about Linux somehow?

EDIT: The Least I Could Do one, I mean.

User Friendly made everything about Linux (or OS/2 or BeOs) though, that was the point, no?

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: And Biden Is NOT Senile

Ted Rall posted:

Team Biden responds to concerns that the president may be senile with assurances that, behind the scenes, Biden is energetic and sharp. We don’t get to see that, of course…not that we get to see much of the Leader of the Free World at all. Maybe it’s time for Team Trump to deploy their own version of “you don’t know him the way I know him” argument.

First Dog on the Moon: Taylor Swift is leaving Australia already? But she just got here!

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

What a weird take. Yes, people appointed by Republicans have recently made attempts to impose fundamentalist Christianity, but all of the big stories in that regard have involved the GOP desperately engaging in damage control since they correctly realize that these extreme socially conservative positions are not popular with Americans, including many of their own voters. If anything, the Christian right has had the GOP taken from them, with the shift in that party's focus and messaging since Trump took over.

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: And Biden Is NOT Senile

This is just Rall being narcisstistic (as usual) in a roundabout way, showing off how much of an intellectual he is by dropping all of these references to make a fairly mundane point. But I won't judge too much, it's recognizable. I agree that if you actually read Democracy in America in full you should be allowed to drop it in casual conversation

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Feb 26, 2024

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Trapezium Dave posted:

First Dog on the Moon: Taylor Swift is leaving Australia already? But she just got here!

Um, 'Cruel Summer' is by Bananarama

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

Light this fool up

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Get in the van.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Chicken Parmigiana posted:

I think you’re thinking of the Bangles.

Korthal
May 26, 2011

Not a political cartoonist but I think it works

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Today is Garrison’s birthday and it turns out he had Stage 4 colon cancer in 2023. That’s a 10% rate for five-year survival.

Oh wait, did I say had? The post made no suggestion that he was cancer-free, just that he underwent surgery, six months chemo, and is currently “focusing on holistic and natural treatments.” So he is likely terminal and getting fleeced by quacks. Going to be very sad/darkly funny if his wife is rendered destitute because he pissed away his money on lemon cleanses.

So yeah, 2024 may herald the End of Garrison. He was given a year to live without surgery, so I guess we’ll see. Curiously, the post said there is no site without his cartoons, which implies we won’t get a Tina Toons solo act. Or, maybe more fuel for the “Ben draws everything” or “There is no Tina” conspiracy theorists.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Pants Donkey posted:

Today is Garrison’s birthday and it turns out he had Stage 4 colon cancer in 2023. That’s a 10% rate for five-year survival.

Oh wait, did I say had? The post made no suggestion that he was cancer-free, just that he underwent surgery, six months chemo, and is currently “focusing on holistic and natural treatments.” So he is likely terminal and getting fleeced by quacks. Going to be very sad/darkly funny if his wife is rendered destitute because he pissed away his money on lemon cleanses.

So yeah, 2024 may herald the End of Garrison. He was given a year to live without surgery, so I guess we’ll see. Curiously, the post said there is no site without his cartoons, which implies we won’t get a Tina Toons solo act. Or, maybe more fuel for the “Ben draws everything” or “There is no Tina” conspiracy theorists.

I’ll be glad when he’s gone but it’s still an awful way to go.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ella Baron on the conspiracy theories reaching mainstream politics – Suella Braverman and Liz Truss are just two of the high-profile names who have been accused of stoking hatred"

Telegraph:

‘From the river to the sea’ projected onto Parliament as police stood by, says MP; Northern councils given HS2 money to fix potholes

Times:

Lee Anderson digs in as Rishi Sunak condemns Sadiq Khan comments

Evening Standard:

Don't let hate win: Sadiq Khan and Susan Hall make unity plea amid Lee Anderson 'Islamophobia' storm

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

is currently “focusing on holistic and natural treatments.”

That kind of reminds me of insane former Sesame Street illustrator David Dees, who passed away from an extremely treatable form of skin cancer because he adamantly refused to seek out any kind of conventional medical treatment.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did he ever find his shoes that Mossad hid?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Skios posted:

That kind of reminds me of insane former Sesame Street illustrator David Dees, who passed away from an extremely treatable form of skin cancer because he adamantly refused to seek out any kind of conventional medical treatment.
It looks like Garrison did actually seek conventional medical treatment, and by “conventional” I mean “actual”. But it wasn’t enough and now he’s desperately throwing money at whichever snakeoil salesman will promise him a cure.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

Andrew ‘Twiggy’ Forrest labels Coalition push for nuclear energy ‘bulldust’ and a ‘new lie’ (Guardian). "Mining billionaire says cost of nuclear will be four to five times that of renewables and opposition’s policy is ‘an excuse for doing nothing’."

Broelman:

Barnaby Joyce takes leave from parliament after encouragement from Nationals leader (ABC).

Lethbridge:

Spooner:

:ssh: It's as if this is the entire point of the Coalition's demand to consider nuclear.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/KartoonistKelly/status/1762256901415305660?t=gpOmHlobPdWo4D_qHNkciA&s=19

New Kelly

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Adam Zyglis

Jeff Danziger

Mike Peters

Walt Handelsman

Yaakov Kirschen (Dry Bones)

This looks like someone left an Al Hirschfeld drawing out on the counter overnight.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Kirschen on the United States shrugging and allowing a genocide with the same disapproving tone as a long-suffering mom saying "boys will be boys": Yeah, but could you send us even more military aid?!

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 27, 2024

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/elivalley/status/1762265163460121083

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Not sure I love the direction of the Flaming Carrot relaunch.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Kellies Nomination: Ugliest Cartoon

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Korthal posted:

Not a political cartoonist but I think it works

Because Biden has done so much for women's reproductive rights?

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

This is going to keep coming up; it's an election year, and people are going to do cartoons about Biden and Trump and their relative merits. I don't know if this is the right procedure, but if someone wants to have a discussion on the topic of election strategy relative to a cartoon, possibly quote it in the relevant thread as an example of whatever you believe it to be an example of? I wouldn't mind some mod guidance on this one, since we probably shouldn't be trying to avoid discussing political cartoons in the political cartoons thread, either.

I would agree that it would be better to have such discussions in relevant threads than here. We don't have an election 2024 thread yet, but I intend to create it fairly soon and we do have a more general one on electoral politics and political strategies.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!

Alhazred posted:

Because Biden has done so much for women's reproductive rights?
I think it's pretty clearly because SCOTUS going 7-2 conservative in the next four years or Trump placing another 200 chuds in the Judiciary is going to lock in the new reproductive rights rollback far more than four more years of Biden (or virtually any other non-Republican) would.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

SithDrummer posted:

I think it's pretty clearly because SCOTUS going 7-2 conservative in the next four years or Trump placing another 200 chuds in the Judiciary is going to lock in the new reproductive rights rollback far more than four more years of Biden (or virtually any other non-Republican) would.

Biden could and should make it a law that women should have the right to abortion. Women shouldn't depend on the whims of the supreme court. But he won't do that and women in the US won't have a right to decide over their own body regardless if Trump or Biden is president.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
A.F. Branco

Chip Bok

John Deering

Michael Ramirez

Mike Luckovich

Tom Stiglich

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Biden could and should make it a law that women should have the right to abortion. Women shouldn't depend on the whims of the supreme court. But he won't do that and women in the US won't have a right to decide over their own body regardless if Trump or Biden is president.

I'm not a legal scholar or even American, but I don't think he can? He's the head of the executive branch. Plus, the United States is a federal country with far-reaching autonomy for its constituent states, which is why the overturning of Roe v. Wade was such a big deal, as it allowed individual states to start restricting abortion.

Anyway, probably not the thread for this.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Alhazred posted:

This is not how American government works at all. Not in theory or in practice.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Alhazred posted:

Only America's Congress has the authority to make federal laws, and this divided Congress may or may not avoid a partial (estimated 20%) government shutdown on Friday, because Republicans have made paying the bills into a political football. Where are the political cartoons about the impending American government partial shutdown?

Anyway,

In another "WTF is this actually real?" moment, I looked up why Elon Musk has been nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/tesla-ceo-elon-musk-nominated-for-nobel-peace-prize-here-s-why/ar-BB1iHmgZ

"A Norwegian lawmaker recommended him for this year’s Nobel Peace Prize."

"According to the Norwegian Nobel Committee, which decides the Nobel Peace Prize laureates, the right to nominate candidates is given to academics studying peace issues, lawmakers (in Norway), and previous laureates. Every year, hundreds of people are nominated for the Peace Prize."

So apparently the One Weird Trick to get a Nobel Peace Prize nomination is to catch the eye of a Norwegian lawmaker. The lawmaker cites Elon's work on Starlink, SpaceX, and "tech companies", and Elon's alleged commitment to freedom of speech. The lawmaker does not mention Elon turning Twitter into a slowly dying cesspool under the paradox of tolerance.

Victar fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Feb 27, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Alhazred posted:

He literally made what executive orders he could to keep federal availability of abortion medicines.

The Senate took up an abortion bill, but couldn't get 50 Democrats behind it to set aside the fillibuster; Biden publicly called for the Senate Democrats to do that.

From https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/joe-biden/biden-administration-announces-new-abortion-initiatives-roe-anniversar-rcna134954:

quote:

Biden also reiterated his call for Congress to codify protections that had been provided by Roe, adding that if a bill were passed, he would "immediately" sign it into law...
The administration has repeatedly urged Congress to pass a law that would restore the protections that existed under Roe, but that proved impossible even when Democrats controlled both the House and the Senate, so it is unlikely to happen any time soon.

The departments of Treasury, Labor and Health and Human Services issued new guidance Monday to clarify standards and support expanded coverage of Food and Drug Administration-approved contraceptives at no cost under the Affordable Care Act for millions of women nationwide...
The Justice Department is defending the position that required emergency care “can, in some circumstances, include abortion care” before the Supreme Court. The high court is expected to rule by June...
The Biden administration plans to make ballot initiatives on abortion a “core part” of its strategy in the next 10 months, engaging with hundreds of state leaders who are deeply involved with current legislative battles on the topic...

Like, blaming Biden for the fact that the Democrats only have a majority in the Senate and the House due to pro-life members like Joe Manchin is stupid, because no Democrat elected President is going to somehow materialize two more Democratic pro-choice Senators.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

So this was a lie then?

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1180506681459040256

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

So this was a lie then?

No, you disingenuous rear end, because the law never made it out of Congress.

Unless you are interpreting "As president, I will codify Roe into law" into him saying "As president, I will somehow use powers I do not have to force Congress to pass a law that I will then use my legitimate powers to codify"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It was a pretty straightforward statement, no qualifications about congress or President Manchin in there.

Unless Biden doesn't now how the US government works...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Feb 27, 2024

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Dude, it's a tweet, trying to own Biden because he didn't say "Roe v. Wade is the law of the land, and we must fight any and all attempts to overturn it. As president, I will support all efforts to codify Roe into law and as President take my legal and allowable actions to sign a bill into law on the assumption that you also elect a Senate that is sufficiently pro-choice as to be able to have a majority in support for a law that legalizes abortion and also can get that bill out of appropriate committees and also can set aside the fillibuster for long enough that it can successfully pass said piece of legislation and also that you elect a Congress that is also sufficiently pro-choice as to be able to have a majority in support for a law that legalizes abortion that has the same wording as the Senate bill and thus can get said bill out of committee and also pass that bill through the House with so few amendments and/or poison pill amendments that the negotiating committee between the House and the Senate can come to an agreement on a joint bill in the correct timeframe that the bill does not need to be re-passed, or should it, a sufficient pro-choice majority of both the House and the Senate that they can pass said amended bill through the House and Senate and thus give to me a law to sign and ensure this choice remains between a woman and her doctor" is super weak

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Presidents routinely talk about their role in terms of leader of their party and not just as the the article 2 executive, because that's what the presidency is.

Jumping on people for simply repeating the President's words is ridiculous. A president should be able to shepherd his agenda through congress (iirc one if the arguments for voting Biden was that he had senate connections and knew how to get things done and even reach across the aisle to get Republican support, then he gets in and can't manage his own party).

If a president can't get his agenda passed, it is a failure, your 8th grade civics education wasn't enough to understand how government works. There's a reason Carter is considered an ineffective president: he wasn't able to work with his own party in congress to accomplish a domestic agenda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

Presidents routinely talk about their role in terms of leader of their party and not just as the the article 2 executive, because that's what the presidency is.

Jumping on people for simply repeating the President's words is ridiculous. A president should be able to shepherd his agenda through congress (iirc one if the arguments for voting Biden was that he had senate connections and knew how to get things done and even reach across the aisle to get Republican support, then he gets in and can't manage his own party).

If a president can't get his agenda passed, it is a failure, your 8th grade civics education wasn't enough to understand how government works. There's a reason Carter is considered an ineffective president: he wasn't able to work with his own party in congress to accomplish a domestic agenda.

I mean, even if I take this weird "the President should be explicit up front about the limits of what they accomplish in advance because the American people can't interpret his statements in the context of what their 8th grade civics education taught them" position as truth, along with the associated "during a Presidential campaign, no one should ever make statements about what they want to accomplish and their intentions without being very clear about the limitations on what they can accomplish without an amenable Congress" it still makes Biden's tweet aspirational about his effectiveness, not a lie which was your original, intentionally incendiary statement.