Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Pipski posted:

Aha, cool, thanks. I was trying to find a definition of enhanced cards and failing. Cheers for the swift confirmation, I can get back to my run now!

I'll reproduce it here but you can see this info in your collection.

Enhancements: Mult, Gold, Steel, Glass, Wild, Bonus, Lucky, Stone

Editions: Base, Holographic, Polychrome, Foil, Negative

Seals: Red, Purple, Blue, Gold

A card can have one of each of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Guess who just discovered that the "create a random joker, destroy all other jokers" spectral only works if you have a joker to destroy!

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Beasteh posted:

I had a single (unaltered) joker and opened a spectral pack and got the card that polychromes 1 joker and destroys the rest but I couldn't use it, what gives.

I could've sworn I've been able to use that on one joker without the spectral deck. I can confirm that I've definitely opened a spectral pack with 2 jokers, gotten that card, intentionally sold one joker to be sure it hit the one I wanted then successfully used it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Ah good to know about Photograph. I have the joker that retriggers the first played card so that is helping a ton and now I know why the scores have been consistent.

Also, Castle owns. I didn’t think it would be reliable because of the suit switching but somewhere in ante 7 I’ve got it up to like 128 chips.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
You can't use the Hex spectral card on a joker that already has an effect like foil/polychrome/hologram. You can use it even if you don't have other jokers to destroy.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Finally beat a gold ante with the checkered deck using 2 polychrome stencil jokers (thank you joker you sell to copy a random one) and the joker that copies the leftmost one, just 3 4x multis and 2 1.5x multis nbd.

The run ended at 10 with the "disables a random joker each hand" :v:

Game owns.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i've been beating my head against gold stakes trying to get a good run with the checkerboard deck and had a handful of middling runs die - madness eating the wrong jokers on ante 7, not being able to get enough campfire mult to beat violet vessel

the most depressing one was having an entirely unremarkable flush deck - jokers basically added in coins and mult, could get to 100k on a hand - and bad cerulean bell luck got me

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Aipsh posted:

wait what

Yeah it's amazingly powerful but takes some getting used to.

Same for the card that allows 4-card straights and flushes, and how you can abuse it to make straight flushes. Takes a minute to realize that if the straight part of it is 3 cards of suit X and 1 of suit Y, you can just add another suit X card of any rank and it'll count as a straight flush.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah still need 5 cards but they don't need to be in a row. What's awesome about that joker which took me a minute to realize is you can have more than one gap.

Ie 2 4 6 8 10 is a straight

I...thought you could only have one gap this entire time.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The description of Shortcut has the example 2 3 5 7 8

I'm actually wondering if it was different in the demo or if none of us, me included, can read

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Which deck do you recommend for climbing stakes?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Probably checkered deck or green deck

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

*casually scores more money than atoms in the universe*

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Detheros posted:

The run ended at 10 with the "disables a random joker each hand" :v:

Game owns.

This boss destroyed my build that required empty joker spots lol. HARD COUNTER!

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Current run has Vagabond, Credit Card, and Fortune Teller so I guess I'm playing all Tarot, all the time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Finally fuckin won a game. Feels good

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Harlock posted:

Probably checkered deck or green deck

I've had good luck with Yellow, the head start on money is nice.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Relyssa posted:

I've had good luck with Yellow, the head start on money is nice.

I'm starting to lean this way too. Checkered deck is fine but once youre in the top stakes it's hard to buy anything to take advantage of the flushes. Flushes also don't score nearly as much as other set ups especially if you can't buy anything that takes advantage of them.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Another infinite build that someone got:

https://i.imgur.com/DaSOZqg.mp4

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

DalaranJ posted:

Which deck do you recommend for climbing stakes?

I used Blue, but I think Yellow for the money is also a good deck, your starting econ is one of the most vital things, and having a headstart can be very useful

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
It gets pretty demoralizing not landing a single Jupiter when using the checkered deck in like 50 planet packs I wish it was a bit more forgiving

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Doltos posted:

I'm starting to lean this way too. Checkered deck is fine but once youre in the top stakes it's hard to buy anything to take advantage of the flushes. Flushes also don't score nearly as much as other set ups especially if you can't buy anything that takes advantage of them.

I barely touched flush synergies when gold ranking checkered deck. The real advantage of checkered deck isn't forcing flush builds (which isn't great, as you note), it's having a deck with very reliable early wins. Yellow starts with more money compared to checkered deck but also has to spend more money just to catch up with checkered deck's more consistent start.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
For people having trouble beating gold stake, the answer is just a high card build:

I was groaning when I got an early Supernova for the ghost deck, but I went all in on it and got kinda lucky with Jokers I never would've really considered otherwise. It really is liberating just putting in any one card (except on Psychic) and getting a load of points. I also had a Delayed Gratification that I sold at the end for Ramen.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The real secret is stuntman (no flame I used stuntman in my gold chip clear). That card is too strong by about 120 chips.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

I love getting Yorick in blue stake or higher. Yeah I'll definitely be able to discard that many times before I lose/win. The Water as a boss too? Oh, you shouldn't have, thank you

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't think I'm having as much fun with the full version of this game as I did in the demo, because the wider pool of jokers makes it way harder to get jokers that synergize well and it means I just always end up taking the most generic unspecialized jokers I can, and occasionally losing runs purely because it didn't offer me any useful ones.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

the holy poopacy posted:

I barely touched flush synergies when gold ranking checkered deck. The real advantage of checkered deck isn't forcing flush builds (which isn't great, as you note), it's having a deck with very reliable early wins. Yellow starts with more money compared to checkered deck but also has to spend more money just to catch up with checkered deck's more consistent start.

I know I just have come this far and am determined to gold stake the deck

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Wasn't even trying to do a speed run but I almost completed a red stake run using the minimum number of rounds, completed in 9.

I got an early Throwback and blueprint so I was just constantly skipping small/big blinds.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Doltos posted:

It gets pretty demoralizing not landing a single Jupiter when using the checkered deck in like 50 planet packs I wish it was a bit more forgiving

If it makes you feel any better, if you get telescope it just stops offering planet packs at all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Clearly the right play for The Omelette is to hold onto the eggs as long as possible, but considering there’s no other source of income, that’s easier said than done. I’ve only ever managed to make something out of it by pulling Swashbuckler early, every other run falls flat. Doesn’t help that I just can’t seem to pull any jokers that scale with money or sell value.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I scored a Royal Flush today. It's way more common now that you can manipulate your deck in real dumb ways but it still feels really good. :unsmith:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Clearly the right play for The Omelette is to hold onto the eggs as long as possible, but considering there’s no other source of income, that’s easier said than done. I’ve only ever managed to make something out of it by pulling Swashbuckler early, every other run falls flat. Doesn’t help that I just can’t seem to pull any jokers that scale with money or sell value.

I haven't won yet but I think if you pull the right economy jokers you can make it somewhat self sustaining until the late game where you ditch the econ jokers for mult scoring ones.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

That challenge imo is mostly about finding swashbuckler and temperance and fooling temperance. I only had one fat egg by the end but thats certainly enough for temperance to give you 40 gold.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 26, 2024

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

A debuffed wild card is no longer wild so that flush you just tried to play is now a high card. Please do not make the mistakes i've made

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Color Printer posted:

A debuffed wild card is no longer wild so that flush you just tried to play is now a high card. Please do not make the mistakes i've made
I was curious about the vampire interaction here. If I play 4 diamonds and a stone card I know is a diamond will vampire turn my high card into a flush?

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

No Wave posted:

I was curious about the vampire interaction here. If I play 4 diamonds and a stone card I know is a diamond will vampire turn my high card into a flush?

actual galaxy brain over here

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

No Wave posted:

So de-stoned cards will be scored even if they don't match but the hand played type won't change

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Feb 26, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

SettingSun posted:

I scored a Royal Flush today. It's way more common now that you can manipulate your deck in real dumb ways but it still feels really good. :unsmith:

It’s bizarre given how many flush builds I’ve set up how few royal flushes I’ve seen. I need to get better about stripping low cards out of the deck.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Gonna probably pick this up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
That joker which makes spades/clubs and hearts/diamonds the same for flushes is dope especially when you also get the X3 same hand joker. Blueprint was just lol. Was a nice satisfying first autopilot run.