Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Selachian posted:

Closer Than We Think! 1/3/60

Flamethrower trucks to clear snow? Why not?

Note that the "Esso Research and Engineering Company" is a branch of the company that would later become Exxon. Esso in turn was one of the companies split off from John D. Rockefeller's Standard Oil monopoly. (Standard Oil -- SO -- Esso.) So it's not surprising an oil company would propose oil-heated water troughs and flamethrowers that drag multiple fuel tanks behind them.

Close enough! NASCAR uses a modified helicopter engine mounted on a pickup truck to dry the raceway pavement,

https://www.phillyvoice.com/i95-northeast-philly-reopening-nascar-jet-dryer/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Selachian posted:

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 3/15-17/43

As much as I'm enjoying those two is it really a good idea to do all that preparation undisguised and using their real names? Or are they planning to leave the country afterwards?

Chicken Parmigiana
Sep 12, 2007

Is the dude just openly sharting

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Welp, looks like there's going to be another week of this.

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Do you think the Witch-Queen's been doing that pose all this time just waiting for Dale to wake up and see her lounging like that?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Doomykins posted:

I feel like I've been holding my breath for this entire storyline. :ohdear:

Yeah, for all my soft spots for Corto, I do feel Blueberry is the better pulp comic - for all its verbosity (and goodness knows I'm to blame for that re. me being the translator), everyone in the comic is actually pretty goddamn smart.

amigolupus posted:

Do you think the Witch-Queen's been doing that pose all this time just waiting for Dale to wake up and see her lounging like that?

If you had her resources and style, wouldn't you?

Samovar fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 26, 2024

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Giant Ethicist posted:

We Are Reproducing

I think this might be my favorite page yet

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

My God what is Family Circus dad doing to his family?

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Murdstone posted:

I'm anxiously waiting for the Family Circus/Home Free crossover event everyone (no one) has been asking for!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gallows Bird

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Esa Ahto

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

You jumped from strips 3025 to 3030. Are you missing those or was it accidental?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Lottie's secretly been into grindcore this entire time.

Scary Go Round (July 28-August 1, 2005)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the thing about holbrook comics you need to understand is that outside of whatever labored setup to a lame punchline is happening in any given strips, nothing else matters

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Murdstone posted:

What's he building in there?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Murdstone posted:

Thranguy posted:

What's he building in there?

Ida Know

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

family circus dad is building a new studio to draw the family circus in that's why billy has to draw it until he's done

anyway I'm never reading comics again. I'm dead. that crankshaft killed me

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Hwurmp posted:

Ida Know

-Who is screaming?
-Not me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Angel Grandfolks watching over the lye pit with a benevolent smile

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
are you kidding me with that crankshaft, no loving way

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
The Thomas Batiuk Award For Outstanding Achievement In The Field Of Retiring My Own Comics.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The Family Upstairs/The Dingbat Family(August 29, 1910)

Baron Bean(February 28, 1916)

Polly and Her Pals(January 27, 1913)

Gasoline Alley(October 20, 1919)

Us Boys(February 26, 1912)

The Gumps(March 26, 1917)

Krazy Kat(December 22)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

are you kidding me with that crankshaft, no loving way
I think the thing I hate about it is that he has literally like a year's buffer worth of comics so he's not even jacking himself off contemporaneously. It's like looking up in the night sky, and there's ropes of jizz shooting across the cosmos, and you take out your telescope and trace them back to a bright star in the night sky frantically gooning thousands of lightyears ago, not yet reaching satisfaction to the naked eye, and you'll be dead long before people look up and are no longer able to see both the solar cumshot and the performer in the act of gratuitous crankin'.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Maybe if we're lucky, Batiuk will have his self-insert attend a con to receive an award, only to slowly fade from existence as two old men make the entire event about themselves.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Ah, that's poop.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 6/8/52

Archie 9/5-7/49

The Virtue of Vera Valiant 2/28 - 3/2/77

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Have some Ballard Street

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Hostile V posted:

I think the thing I hate about it is that he has literally like a year's buffer worth of comics so he's not even jacking himself off contemporaneously. It's like looking up in the night sky, and there's ropes of jizz shooting across the cosmos, and you take out your telescope and trace them back to a bright star in the night sky frantically gooning thousands of lightyears ago, not yet reaching satisfaction to the naked eye, and you'll be dead long before people look up and are no longer able to see both the solar cumshot and the performer in the act of gratuitous crankin'.

This is Forming.

Ockhams Crowbar
May 7, 2007
Always the simplest solution.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 31-February 2, 1944)

This is a few days old but I love when these older comics touch on stuff like this. I sent this one to my agronomist wife, who pointed out that yes, things like "total mixed rations" and similar cattle nutrition concepts were the hot new thing around the time this was written, but the idea of supplementing cattle feed with protein and fiber mixes and adjusting those to get the best possible (closely measured) growth in the herd are as old as animal husbandry itself. Farmers and ranchers have always been dietitians, mathematicians, and students of numerous other disciplines by necessity. Given Williams's background as a ranch hand, she reads it more as Sugar having some idealistic notions about the life of a rancher and his role toward the herd - or maybe Williams was just having some starry eyed, simplified nostalgia.

What I'm trying to say is thank you for posting all of these, EasyEW.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I appreciate that the widow in Out Our Way is an extremely competent rancher

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Saoshyant posted:

You jumped from strips 3025 to 3030. Are you missing those or was it accidental?

The page with those strips is corrupted and I can only see the first two strips, but it establishes them on a riverboat party where Blanch pursues Willie. After Willie dances with Modesty, the action returns to the general's "Little Big Horn" plantation where Blanche enters Willie's room.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Tendales posted:

This is Forming.
I hope that's a good thing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Hmm. Time to drain the septic tank.

Luann

Gil Thorp

Home Free

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

EasyEW posted:

OH gently caress YOU

This is just loving sad. Absolutely pathetic.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Ockhams Crowbar posted:

Good notes and kind :words:
:tipshat:

Antivehicular posted:

I appreciate that the widow in Out Our Way is an extremely competent rancher

Considering how long it took Williams to even draw an in-panel female character who wasn't a mother getting aggravated into gray hairs, it's very satisfying.

Our Boarding House (April 6-8, 1922)

Out Our Way: And Speaking Of Cowboys (Revisited) (April 7, 1925)

Toonerville Folks (June 22-24, 1922)

THE LITTLE SCORPIONS CLUB: Right close by the SECRET EXIT from the club house the Jones hired man burned some rubbish and the smoke went right up the secret passage way and out through the club house itself!

NEIGHBORHOOD NEWS: Jones was having an awful time trying to read the paper and keep track of his youngster at the same time until it occurred to him to make use of that cellar excavation next door.

CONSIDERABLE EXCITEMENT DOWN HICKSVILLE WAY LAST WEEK: Farmer Smith used the hired man to test out his new method hooch.

Anyway, as promised, today everything changes, because February 10, 1915 was when Dok Hager's duck strip was officially titled "Dok's Dippy Duck". Even better for posting purposes, the strip format was restacked for my convenience, so no more slicing and dicing for readability.

So let's usher in a new era for Dok's Dippy End Of The Make-Believe Necessity For These Joke Titles. And of course, the first strip in the new format is spoilered we haven't ushered in a new era of not dealing with the Usual Reasons.

Little Lefty will be back tomorrow.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 27, 2024

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Hostile V posted:

Catching up with the thread after months just to say lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Corto Maltese

Blueberry