Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

American McGay posted:

Don't forget that Nintendo is planning on using their existing IPs to bolster sales of the new console.

They'll probably do something like Mario Kart 8 + all the DLC at launch. We'll never get Mario Kart 9 at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Wayforward is soliciting feedback for the contra demo:

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1761450986504106002?t=AFvuz-tXRalkibCtIalLMg&s=19

I played it for a bit and it seems like it'll be a good contra game...but there are a lot of new elements to get used to, like a double jump and a dash move (and health bars, wtf). You can also sacrifice your special weapon for some kind of effect, like sacrificing the laser gives you a few moments of bullet time.

There seems to be a lot of story stuff too for some reason, but you can switch it to arcade mode with one hit deaths like it should be

Wayforward did contra 4 which was a grand old time, so I'm optimistic.

Having said that, the 6 note contra fanfare that plays as the C logo appears is totally the same mp3 used in contra 4, haha

I visually couldn't tell what the hell was going on in the demo, like the bullets were really hard to see

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Arms 2 incoming.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah the demo was a mess, spongy controls, enemies and bullets that blended into the background, bosses that just spewed poo poo everywhere at random, bleh

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Waffle! posted:

They'll probably do something like Mario Kart 8 + all the DLC at launch. We'll never get Mario Kart 9 at this rate.

Mario Kart: World of Assassination

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

The better question is will there be a new smash bros.?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

glassyalabolas posted:

There’s always a new Smash Bros

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If Sony did this you’d all be complaining 🙄🙄🙄 💅

If they brought back Ape Escape, no-one would be complaining.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://x.com/ConcernedApe/status/1762192764899627457?s=20

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

glassyalabolas posted:

They’d have to have someone besides Sakurai lead the project if they do, that poor guy has been killing himself making those games

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

BigDumper posted:

They’d have to have someone besides Sakurai lead the project if they do, that poor guy has been killing himself making those games

Sakurai would never allow this

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Best dev on the planet

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

BigDumper posted:

They hopefully gave Sakurai a lot more time and resources to produce the next smash

I hope it's a return to form and just smash 64 with updated graphics. I miss those big chunky sound effects.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Stardew Valley going the Terraria route of continued updates years later and hell, I am here for it.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I visually couldn't tell what the hell was going on in the demo, like the bullets were really hard to see

I go through that every time I play a new game these days, but you adjust before too long and it becomes manageable. I dunno, it clicked for me. Regardless, you can address that in the survey...maybe they can improve it, like a high contrast bullet mode or something

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm not likely to buy it so I wouldn't want to influence it for somebody who actually will buy it

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Posting on the forums works, because I just got my first win in Balatro. The joker that removes the boss blind effect came up on the second to last round and it saved my run. The Golden Joker was instrumental to my win early on. Money is power.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ragequit posted:

Stardew Valley going the Terraria route of continued updates years later and hell, I am here for it.

Hell, it's what I would do if my one game made me a multi-millionaire.
Just plug away at whatever seems neat and never charge for it.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

He also has a new game he's been working on. This one looks promising as well.

https://www.hauntedchocolatier.net/

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Somebody's hogging the pro controller

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Just wrapped up Pikmin 4. Well aside from platinuming all the Dandori and Battle stages (I've got gold at least, I'm missing a few), and building all the structures (I don't know where and I don't care). What's left I can save for a day I want to dig back into it a little. I need to go back and read the treasure and creature descriptions.

It is arguably the best Pikmin game. The gameplay is smooth and the puzzles are really good when they're good. I will say, it overstays its welcome just a bit. Which is weird because I've always wanted more Pikmin and 3 was ridiculously short, but I don't know... I think one of the problems with the game, for me, is that I found it easy. It could be I'm just very good at Pikmin these days. I lost 42 little guys (most on the final boss tbh I hate Nintendo's insistence on generally "easy" bosses but with too many stages, because I lost Pikmin in the electric phase but like I hell I was going to restart, the fight's way too long ), but it was all pretty avoidable and unlike the first two games, felt very low stakes considering how easy it was to recuperate them. The lack of time limit also relieves a lot of pressure, which I think the game sort of needs.

Ultimately I feel it's designed to be more forgiving (it's the dog's fault...) and I'm just better at it so it posed less of challenge than I would've liked, but when the challenge was there it was real.

I'd like to, hell I plan to, revisit 1+2 and make the Switch the perfect Pikmin machine and also see if the game is easier or what.

Either way, if you have a passing interest in the series it's a real get. You'll have plenty of content to dig into and you'll be able to experience what I feel is genuinely one of the most unique series out there. I love the game, the design, and idea behind it. Few games gives such a sense of wonder and exploration even if it's as low key as it is. I highly recommend it. Only thing I'd say should put you off is A) you don't know how to multi-task and B) Get easily too attached to cute things (they're easy to keep alive but when they go, it breaks my heart everytime).

Now I need to focus on Engage and Metroid Prime.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

B33rChiller posted:

You’re lucky, mine lays directly on it :catstare:

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
This review is like a week late now that Balatro is out but just thought I'd throw an endorsement for Wildfrost out there.

It's a deckbuilder that came out about a year ago that, at the time, seemed to have some hype behind that quickly collapsed at release seemingly tied to the game being too hard. I got scared off from trying it but the devs finally released a big update in late December which seemed to address some of the issues with the difficulty curve.

I finally got around to trying it and got really addicted to it for the past 2-3 weeks. My elevator pitch is that it's Monster Train meets Into the Breach. Your deck consists of both Guys and Spells and you position your Guys around a playing field (like Monster Train), but unlike Monster Train you can freely move your Guys around the field making the combat feel more like a strategy/puzzle game (like Into the Breach).

The music is also fantastic and I really dig the Advenute Timey art style.

I didn't play the game before the big patch so I don't know how much it meaningfully affected the difficulty curve, but I can at least attest to the fact that it never felt Too Hard to me and I was able to get a win after a reasonable number of runs and work my way up the Ascension ladder.

I guess you could say the game is a bit more immediately punishing then other deckbuilders. Your Guys attack on a timer that counts down every turn, so you have to carefully balance both position and timing of multiple units in each combat. It's all a bit fiddley so one minor mistake can quickly spiral out of control and end the run, but most roguelikes are like that to some extent. It probably took more runs to get my first win than in most other deckbuilders but it didn't feel excessively difficult and I felt like I was learning at each loss. I think the Optional Hidden True Final Boss is probably a liiiittle too hard but that isn't a factor until you've maxed-ish out the Ascension anyway.

The only negative I can come up with is it's not a super long-lasting game. I put ~500+ hours into Slay the Spire, ~100 hours into Monster Train, but only ~30-40 hours into Wildfrost and I feel like I've probably played most of what it has to offer. Part of that is there are only 3 clans and they all feel vaguely similar (partly because the clans share some cards, and partly because each clan is mostly based around a different set of Buffs and Debuffs; there's no clan that introduces Wacky New Mechanics like Defect in Spire and the Wax bros in Monster Train). I don't really think this is a huge issue personally but I guess it's worth a warning.

Anyway, this is all moot since Balatro is the new hotness (and probably better) but just wanted to write this up before I forget it!

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 27, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

B33rChiller posted:

Player 2 always gets the Mad Catz controller.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I got the upgrade to docile fuzzy catz

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Can someone tell me what this says? The user is on my ignore list, for trolling/personal attacks/toxicity etc.

lmao

not for this post exactly but all the responses

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Balatro is pretty fun, especially after a couple runs I figured out you don't have to play a full five card hand every time like in real Poker after finding a Joker that specifically rewarded playing hands of three cards or less

The Boss Blinds are kind of bullshit though

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Wayforward is soliciting feedback for the contra demo:

https://twitter.com/WayForward/status/1761450986504106002?t=AFvuz-tXRalkibCtIalLMg&s=19

I played it for a bit and it seems like it'll be a good contra game...but there are a lot of new elements to get used to, like a double jump and a dash move (and health bars, wtf). You can also sacrifice your special weapon for some kind of effect, like sacrificing the laser gives you a few moments of bullet time.

There seems to be a lot of story stuff too for some reason, but you can switch it to arcade mode with one hit deaths like it should be

Wayforward did contra 4 which was a grand old time, so I'm optimistic.

Having said that, the 6 note contra fanfare that plays as the C logo appears is totally the same mp3 used in contra 4, haha

Is it just me or do the graphics look…weird? I can’t put my finger on it exactly but I feel like Contra 4 looked better despite being on the DS.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's because Contra 4 was good sprite work instead of meh 3D

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

It's because Contra 4 was good sprite work instead of meh 3D

For sure but if you asked me to explain what, exactly, it is that looks off, I couldn’t tell you. My brain just goes “cheap mobile game” but I don’t have the technical/aesthetic vocabulary to explain that reaction.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a “3D” 2D game but looked pretty charming I thought, so it’s not like it’s impossible to make that style look good?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Just wrapped up Pikmin 4. Well aside from platinuming all the Dandori and Battle stages (I've got gold at least, I'm missing a few), and building all the structures (I don't know where and I don't care). What's left I can save for a day I want to dig back into it a little. I need to go back and read the treasure and creature descriptions.

It is arguably the best Pikmin game. The gameplay is smooth and the puzzles are really good when they're good. I will say, it overstays its welcome just a bit. Which is weird because I've always wanted more Pikmin and 3 was ridiculously short, but I don't know... I think one of the problems with the game, for me, is that I found it easy. It could be I'm just very good at Pikmin these days. I lost 42 little guys (most on the final boss tbh I hate Nintendo's insistence on generally "easy" bosses but with too many stages, because I lost Pikmin in the electric phase but like I hell I was going to restart, the fight's way too long ), but it was all pretty avoidable and unlike the first two games, felt very low stakes considering how easy it was to recuperate them. The lack of time limit also relieves a lot of pressure, which I think the game sort of needs.

Ultimately I feel it's designed to be more forgiving (it's the dog's fault...) and I'm just better at it so it posed less of challenge than I would've liked, but when the challenge was there it was real.

I'd like to, hell I plan to, revisit 1+2 and make the Switch the perfect Pikmin machine and also see if the game is easier or what.

Either way, if you have a passing interest in the series it's a real get. You'll have plenty of content to dig into and you'll be able to experience what I feel is genuinely one of the most unique series out there. I love the game, the design, and idea behind it. Few games gives such a sense of wonder and exploration even if it's as low key as it is. I highly recommend it. Only thing I'd say should put you off is A) you don't know how to multi-task and B) Get easily too attached to cute things (they're easy to keep alive but when they go, it breaks my heart everytime).

Now I need to focus on Engage and Metroid Prime.

Pikmin 4 is absolutely more forgiving than its predecessors. There's a number of things that used to be instadeaths your Pikmin get thrown about or just knocked over by now (eg; Electricity jusr shocks and stuns instead of vaporises them) You'll see the difference immediately when you go back to Pikmin 1/2, and they just die to things you thought they could endure in 4.

Also get Pikmin 3, it deserves love too and you should ensure you have the full set.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

nemesis_hub posted:

For sure but if you asked me to explain what, exactly, it is that looks off, I couldn’t tell you. My brain just goes “cheap mobile game” but I don’t have the technical/aesthetic vocabulary to explain that reaction.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze is a “3D” 2D game but looked pretty charming I thought, so it’s not like it’s impossible to make that style look good?

Well, the Donkey Kong Country series specifically was always "3D" in style. Even when it was technically 2D, it used prerendered 3D models instead of hand-drawn art, so turning that into real 3D was no big deal stylewise.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pikmin 4 is absolutely more forgiving than its predecessors. There's a number of things that used to be instadeaths your Pikmin get thrown about or just knocked over by now (eg; Electricity jusr shocks and stuns instead of vaporises them) You'll see the difference immediately when you go back to Pikmin 1/2, and they just die to things you thought they could endure in 4.

Also get Pikmin 3, it deserves love too and you should ensure you have the full set.

Way ahead of you. I pre-ordered 3 the day it was announced, never having had a Wii U. I really liked it but it was short. The DLC stuff pads it out, and having become in my own right a Dandori Beast, I may be tempted to check it out again, but I did play that one to death. I quite liked the story and like how it offers a possibility of more things happening in that world... 4's plot is interesting but also raises more questions than answers. Though a sequel where you are now Moss leading the Pikmin is fine by me. Take the humans out of it, and let the nature of PNF-404 run itself.

But good to know. Dog aside, because that little guy breaks the game, I did get the impression the Pikmin were hardier, and once again you get so many, so easily, and are given infinite time that you don't feel they're the resource they used to be.

Looking forward to 1+2 once I have some downtime and pick them up.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
pikmin 1 is the best one

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Anyone else play the Unicorn Overlord demo? It's neat -- not what I expected. I had assumed it was a more typical tactics turn based RPG, but combat appears to be predetermined based on skills and triggers that you set for your party on a more macro level than micro.

Not really sure it's my thing, but I'm sure some of y'all will love it. Music was good.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I didn't because I had the same idea as you, I didn't expect to like it, but you just said it's not what you expected, so I'll give the demo a shot :)

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh thank Arceus. It’s not a Gen V remake. I didn’t want them to remake the best Pokemon generation on such poor hardware.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
Did I read that right? Pokemon Legends "zed/zee minus alpha"?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh thank Arceus. It’s not a Gen V remake. I didn’t want them to remake the best Pokemon generation on such poor hardware.

2025, so you get to complain about it on the Switch 2 instead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Detective No. 27 posted:

you are hosed up