Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Anyone play Trinity Trigger?

For about 15 minutes before it's profound blandness pushed me away from it.

In that span of time the protags sister tried to jokingly come onto him.

I would not recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Einander posted:

I think it's at about the right level of going hard with it, precisely because most of the game softballs it a bit for most of the runtime. It means that when you get to the end, and you're probably locked out of the best ending, you realize, oh, I really am out of choices. It's the end of the road, and now it's time to compromise. And then all of the choices available to you have someone walking away because they just can't accept it. There's no longer any way to make everyone happy. A story pulling its punches right up until it suddenly doesn't is good!

But I'm also totally okay with them having a best ending available for more work. That's the sort of thing that only works with contrast and when it's more hidden than the default options.

it's very difficult to pull off the "ideal solution" thing because it runs the very real risk of turning a game from "choose a or b", into "choose a or b, or do busy-work and/or grind to get ideal option c".

making it very cryptic like Tristrat does is a reasonable solution, as is doing stuff like delaying the results of choices so players aren't inclined to savescum

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i need to replay tristrat drat

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Thuryl posted:

Library of Ruina probably counts as an RPG where you play as the bad guys (it's a slightly weird sort of RPG gameplay-wise, but it's still more like one than not). You run a dungeon that kills visitors and turns them into books. Your reasons for doing this are entirely self-interested. The people you kill are raiding the dungeon for loot and know what they're getting into, so you're not exactly going out of your way to murder random innocents, but you're still playing as the kind of people that the player characters in an average RPG would feel okay about killing.

in a world where this dungeon exists and is well known, and its consequences are clear, you are no more evil than a doctor that performs euthenasia except that maybe you aren't doing your due diligence to determine if their disease cannot be cured

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
yes a party would kill you but its like, congrats you killed our local dr. kevorkian, whos the real bad guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I would like to get turned into a book.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Of all the hosed up poo poo that can happen to you in the city, the library is pretty much as fair as it gets.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Thuryl posted:

Library of Ruina probably counts as an RPG where you play as the bad guys (it's a slightly weird sort of RPG gameplay-wise, but it's still more like one than not). You run a dungeon that kills visitors and turns them into books. Your reasons for doing this are entirely self-interested. The people you kill are raiding the dungeon for loot and know what they're getting into, so you're not exactly going out of your way to murder random innocents, but you're still playing as the kind of people that the player characters in an average RPG would feel okay about killing.

Isn't it implied that Angela is sending out invites to people too desperate to refuse? Not that it matters in the end.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
loving me up that until recently kurohyou was the most recent yakuza game to feature sayama in any capacity. this game has a ton of substories that are just you hanging out with random side characters who never really got anything after their intros in the main series

e; oh wait it's not sayama it's just a person who looks exactly like her.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 25, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Not that I think that only RGG can make that kind of game but just a shorthand for 'open world game brawler that's smaller than a Far Cry map but bigger than Shenmue and has fun minigames'. Like Bully or Saints Row if it had better minigames. That and Kamen Riders are the only Japanese masked vigilante group I can think of. Not that I'd turn down a Pretty Cure or just Magical Girl brawler but I don't know which one's more common.

I should've said Symphogear. As far as I've seen from a few clips of fight scenes, it'd be like a brawler and occasionally you activate your multi missile launcher or magical railgun.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
This game was in the Japanese Nintendo Direct only:

https://www.rpgfan.com/2024/02/22/reynatis-showcased-in-nintendo-direct/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Having just finished Crymachina yesterday it feels like every FuRyu ARPG gets more ambitious but the combat gets worse lol

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

I was trying to figure out whether "juvenile" in the game's genre description was a bad translation of "seishun" or an actually-kinda-good translation of "chuunibyou", but it turns out it was literally just the English word "juvenile" spelled out in katakana

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

up to like chapter 6-7 of Crisis Core, looking up some mechanics stuff.

wow, some people really go hardcore on this game to max everything

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GateOfD posted:

up to like chapter 6-7 of Crisis Core, looking up some mechanics stuff.

wow, some people really go hardcore on this game to max everything

To be honest you really don't need to. You can pretty much trivialize everything with some basic materia and if you take the time to Costly Punch then everything short of the superboss is hosed.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
The funny thing with crisis core is if you do literally two hours of the side stuff you'll be wildly overleveled for the rest of the main story

I just started on Star Ocean 2R. Absolutely hilarious that they did a new Japanese dub for this, but the English voice acting is from the 2007 PSP version, and holy poo poo does it sound like it. I don't want to change it to Japanese because it's too funny to pass up.

I also really had zero idea what this game was (like, I thought it was turn based) but I'm enjoying it so far. Was not expecting this massive crafting system where I can level up my cooking skill and that also increases my ATK?

Game looks gorgeous too. I didn't realize the original was like a 2D sprites on pre-rendered backgrounds game, so I love that the HD2D-ification is basically just making the backgrounds large and dynamic. Maybe the people who are mad about the lack of a "real" FF7 remake should be pointing to this as what they want; I hadn't considered that you could dress up previously-static backgrounds like this.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

like i got High Jump early, and it kind of just wrecks everything, but i went around and leveled a bunch of other stuff because I got "gently caress its max, need to keep leveling junk' mentality.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah they're not kidding. I got real deep into missions before even getting the Buster Sword looking for new materia and I was well overtuned for the next 4 chapters because I had gamed my way up to clearing 5* missions. Aside from the superboss, the hardest part of Crisis Core is fighting those Vajradhara enemies on 6 or 7* missions because it's a roll of the dice whether you'll be able to stop them from doing their own Limit Break. Until you get some Hell-Magic materia at least.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crisis Core makes it very easy to go "Eh, just a BIT more" when it comes to leveling because each mission is like 5 minutes long tops.

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah they're not kidding. I got real deep into missions before even getting the Buster Sword looking for new materia and I was well overtuned for the next 4 chapters because I had gamed my way up to clearing 5* missions. Aside from the superboss, the hardest part of Crisis Core is fighting those Vajradhara enemies on 6 or 7* missions because it's a roll of the dice whether you'll be able to stop them from doing their own Limit Break. Until you get some Hell-Magic materia at least.

Yeah, in the remake I literally beat the superboss before I got the Buster Sword, it was kind of hilarious.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

abraham linksys posted:

The funny thing with crisis core is if you do literally two hours of the side stuff you'll be wildly overleveled for the rest of the main story

I just started on Star Ocean 2R. Absolutely hilarious that they did a new Japanese dub for this, but the English voice acting is from the 2007 PSP version, and holy poo poo does it sound like it. I don't want to change it to Japanese because it's too funny to pass up.

I also really had zero idea what this game was (like, I thought it was turn based) but I'm enjoying it so far. Was not expecting this massive crafting system where I can level up my cooking skill and that also increases my ATK?

Game looks gorgeous too. I didn't realize the original was like a 2D sprites on pre-rendered backgrounds game, so I love that the HD2D-ification is basically just making the backgrounds large and dynamic. Maybe the people who are mad about the lack of a "real" FF7 remake should be pointing to this as what they want; I hadn't considered that you could dress up previously-static backgrounds like this.

Yeah IDK if you've ever played any other Star Ocean but massively complicated crafting is a hallmark of the series. I've been really enjoying the remake and it makes it hit even harder that the more recent entries simply aren't as memorable.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

RareAcumen posted:

like 4-5* missions are like nothing

then you be doing like chapter 5-6 story and like 3-4 shot the chapter boss and its like errr oh...

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

abraham linksys posted:

Max out the Determination skill first to lower SP costs all round. Investing in writing is also a gamebreaker, since you can make your own skillbooks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sakurazuka posted:

Having just finished Crymachina yesterday it feels like every FuRyu ARPG gets more ambitious but the combat gets worse lol

For a second I read that as Cryamore, a 'took the money and ran' Kickstarter from way back in 2013 and wondered if had somehow gotten released.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
past chapter 6 of kurohyou. the game's really starting to wear on me now. the lack of balance or depth in its core combat leads to it being really repetitive and kind of tedious, dodges and parries are crazy powerful and way easier for the ai to do than you so you end up having to rely on grabs a lot to avoid getting your poo poo kicked in every time you try to deal any sort of damage, and the fact that you don't seem to get any kind of fast travel around kamurocho ultimately makes a lot of the game feel padded out with making you run back and forth everywhere, really not helped by there only being two doctors and them both being pretty close to each other so if you want to do, say, the absurdly difficult arena fights up north, you'll either have to keep using a ton of medical kits to heal your injuries or keep running back up and down. getting money is also a huge grind and stat upgrade costs get absurdly high. even the main story has some real pacing issues, it's obvious that since they couldn't make any real gameplay setpieces all they really knew to do was force you into a lot of sections where you either run from cops or have to snoop around for someone, and you can only do that so many times before it starts to get ridiculous. there's cool stuff in this game but i'm glad it's as short as it is cause i don't have a whole lot more patience for it

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

abraham linksys posted:

SO2R is on one end of the remake spectrum and FF7R is on the other and honestly I'm not sure which I prefer. They both hit it out of the park and excel in different ways

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I know Persona/SMT chat tends to stay in their own threads but I've been really enjoying the Persona 3 remake. It's really solidified it as my favorite "modern" Persona game since they probably won't be re-releasing the P2 duology and I'm glad they were willing to change the transphobic dialogue on the beach along with a few other things while keeping most of the rest the same. I do wish it was a little more difficult but I guess I don't really play Persona games for difficult combat.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

The Odin summon in crisis core is so silly, seems to instant kill even minor-mid bosses.

Was trying to rush for the damage break over 9999 item and I was hitting for like 50 damage on it, but wanted it, so was hacking at it for 10 minutes and still 80% hp then got Odin who instant killed it and now I’m a destroyer

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There is definitely room in this world for both FF7-style and SO2R-style remakes

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Mr E posted:

I know Persona/SMT chat tends to stay in their own threads but I've been really enjoying the Persona 3 remake. It's really solidified it as my favorite "modern" Persona game since they probably won't be re-releasing the P2 duology and I'm glad they were willing to change the transphobic dialogue on the beach along with a few other things while keeping most of the rest the same. I do wish it was a little more difficult but I guess I don't really play Persona games for difficult combat.

P3R was godly. Very happy with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dear god why does every chapter of kurohyou have a solid 10 minutes of walking around asking people where a guy is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

dear god why does every chapter of kurohyou have a solid 10 minutes of walking around asking people where a guy is

Gotta find them sailors.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it'd be fine if it was an occasional thing but it literally happens every single chapter. it happens twice in the same chapter, that i am in right now. every single time something interesting seems like it's happening in kurohyou tatsuya is like I BETTER ASK AROUND FOR SOME INFO and you have to zig zag between a corner of the map six times because there's no fast travel in this one

also shout out to the bit where you do all of this to find a guy so you can ask him for information. then you do a tailing mission, for some reason, because your friend doesn't want you to talk to guy you were looking for in public even though all the guy has wanted to do is talk with you. and then when you're done tailing him he just leaves and you don't talk to him at all. why did i do any of this. you might as well have skipped the entire process of finding the guy and just put me here from the start.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there are some very cool things about kurohyou but i don't think there's 25+ hours of cool things and the game definitely realizes that cause after a point it just completely runs out of... anything other than excuses to prolong your journey to the next cutscene. it's driving me mad. i don't think there's been a yakuza game since the ps2 ones where random encounters have been this utterly bothersome, they brought back the poo poo where some of them will literally run 2x your speed so you physically cannot get away even though you get so little from fighting them that it is objectively nothing but a waste of time

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Lamo apparently SquareEnix dropped a patch for FF7 Remake that covers up child-Tifa a bit in a flashback, and Reddit is throwing a fit about "censorship".

What they *should* be throwing a fit about is that patch being over 8GB.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Annath posted:

Lamo apparently SquareEnix dropped a patch for FF7 Remake that covers up child-Tifa a bit in a flashback, and Reddit is throwing a fit about "censorship".

What they *should* be throwing a fit about is that patch being over 8GB.

Does she really need to be covered in 8 gb of clothes?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Mymla posted:

Does she really need to be covered in 8 gb of clothes?

Apparently it's the most high-res black undershirt ever rendered.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's also just making her consistent with her Rebirth model.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Motto posted:

It's also just making her consistent with her Rebirth model.

Yeah, I imagine they just re-rendered some movies with the newer version of the model they spent more time on since it shows up for longer in Rebirth. (Which would make for a huge patch because... movie files)

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

As long as they don’t touch the swimsuit scene, they’re safe..for now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Its kinda interesting how these days design or model changes in a sequel can retroactively be put back into previous games.

I kinda understand why you'd do that but it feels unnecessary to me. It's neat to see the differences rather than it being seamless