Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Strep Vote posted:

I know I can't watch it. I can't stop crying, for him, but mostly because I feel like we've failed him and the children of Gaza. I know this will pass but all the grief of the past five months is unleashed at him CHOOSING to endure the fire for Palestine. It hurts and I think I might have to reassess where I am going with the rest of my life (in a good life affirming way).

it's rough and i don't blame you
the audio alone is enough honestly
but i won't deny seeing a man stomp around in agony, looking completely unrecognizable, charred, yet somehow managing to scream out another "Free Palestine!" won't stay with me forever
not saying you owe it to him to watch it or some poo poo
i don't really know what i'm saying
i just hope this makes some difference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Turdfuzz posted:

the audio alone is enough honestly
but i won't deny seeing a man stomp around in agony, looking completely unrecognizable, charred, yet somehow managing to scream out another "Free Palestine!" won't stay with me forever
not saying you owe it to him to watch it or some poo poo
i don't really know what i'm saying
i just hope this makes some difference

o7

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is there a source for charities that a U.S. citizen can legally donate to that directly goes to Palestinian aid, with minimal overhead or fees?

I feel insane phrasing it that way but that's living in the evil empire I guess

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Once again, Biden showing that things can be accomplished behind the scenes. So much for Biden's "hardline Zionist" stance that I had to argue against earlier ITT

an actual DnD take

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 02:46 on Feb 27, 2024

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

https://crimethinc.com/2024/02/26/this-is-what-our-ruling-class-has-decided-will-be-normal-on-aaron-bushnells-action-in-solidarity-with-gaza posted:

“This Is What Our Ruling Class Has Decided Will Be Normal”
On Aaron Bushnell’s Action in Solidarity with Gaza
2024-02-26

On Sunday, February 25, we received an email from a person who signed himself Aaron Bushnell. (1) It read,

quote:

Today, I am planning to engage in an extreme act of protest against the genocide of the Palestinian people. The below links should take you to a livestream and recorded footage of the event, which will be highly disturbing. I ask that you make sure that the footage is preserved and reported on.

We consulted the Twitch account. The username displayed was “LillyAnarKitty,” and the user icon was a circle A, the universal signifier for anarchism—the movement against all forms of domination and oppression.

In the video, Aaron begins by introducing himself. “My name is Aaron Bushnell. I am an active-duty member of the US Air Force and I will no longer be complicit in genocide. I’m about to engage in an extreme act of protest—but compared to what people have been experiencing in Palestine at the hands of their colonizers, it’s not extreme at all. This is what our ruling class has decided will be normal.”

The video shows Aaron continuing to film as he walks to the gate of the Israeli embassy in Washington, DC, puts down the phone, douses himself in a flammable liquid, and sets himself alight, shouting “Free Palestine” several times. After he collapses, police officers who had been watching the situation unfold run into the frame—one with a fire extinguisher, another with a gun. The officer continues pointing the gun at Aaron for over thirty seconds as Aaron lies on the ground, burning.

Afterwards, police announced that they had called in their Explosive Ordinance Disposal Unit.

We have since confirmed the identity of Aaron Bushnell. He served in the United States Air Force for almost four years. One of his loved ones described Aaron to us as “a force of joy in our community.” An online post described him as “an amazingly gentle, kind, compassionate person who spends every minute and penny he has helping others. He is silly, makes anyone laugh, and wouldn’t hurt a fly. He is a principled anarchist who lives out his values in everything he does.”

Aaron’s friends tell us that he has passed away as a consequence of his injuries.

All afternoon, while other journalists were breaking the news, we discussed how we should speak about this. Some subjects are too complex to address in a hasty social media post.

The scale of the tragedy that is taking place in Gaza is heartrending. It exceeds anything we can understand from the vantage point of the United States. Over 30,000 Palestinians have been killed, including over 12,000 children. More than half of all inhabitable buildings in all of Gaza have been destroyed, along with the majority of hospitals. The vast majority of the population are living as refugees with little access to water, food, or shelter.

The Israeli military is now planning a ground invasion of Rafah that will add untold numbers of casualties to this toll. It is not hyperbole to say that we are witnessing the deliberate commission of genocide. All available evidence indicates that the Israeli military will continue killing Palestinians by the thousand until they are forced to stop. And the longer this bloodshed goes on, the more people will die in the future, as other governments and groups imitate the precedent set by the Israeli government.

The United States government bears equal responsibility in this tragedy, having armed and financed Israel and provided it with impunity in the sphere of international relations. Within Israel, the authorities have effectively suppressed protest movements in solidarity with Gaza. If protests are going to exert leverage towards stopping the genocide, it is up to people in the United States to figure out how to accomplish that.

But what will it take? Thousands across the country have engaged in brave acts of protest without yet succeeding in putting a halt to Israel’s assault.

Aaron Bushnell was one of those who empathized with the Palestinians suffering and dying in Gaza, one of those haunted by the question of what our responsibilities are when we are confronted with such a tragedy. In this regard, he was exemplary. We honor his desire not to stand by passively in the face of atrocity.

The death of a person in the United States should not be considered any more tragic—or more newsworthy—than the death of a single Palestinian. Still, there is more to say about his decision.

--

Aaron was the second person to self-immolate at an Israeli diplomatic institution in the United States. Another demonstrator did the same thing at the Israeli consulate in Atlanta on December 1, 2023. It is not easy for us to know how to speak about their deaths.

Some journalists see themselves as engaged in the neutral activity of spreading information as an end in itself—as if the process of selecting what to spread and how to frame it could ever be neutral. For our part, when we speak, we presume that we are speaking to people of action, people like ourselves who are aware of their agency and are in the process of deciding what to do, people who may be wrestling with heartache and despair.

Human beings influence each other both through rational argument and through the infectiousness of action. As Peter Kropotkin put it, “Courage, devotion, the spirit of sacrifice are as contagious as cowardice, submission, and panic.”

Just as we have a responsibility not to show cowardice, we also have a responsibility not to promote sacrifice casually. We must not speak carelessly about taking risks, even risks that we have taken ourselves. It is one thing to expose oneself to risk; it is another thing to invite others to run risks, not knowing what the consequences might be for them.

And here, we are not speaking about a risk, but about the worst of all certainties.

Let’s not glamorize the decision to end one’s life, nor celebrate anything with such permanent repercussions. Rather than exalting Aaron as a martyr and encouraging others to emulate him, we honor his memory, but we exhort you to take a different path.

--

quote:

“This is what our ruling class has decided will be normal.”

These words of Aaron’s haunt us.

He is right. We are rapidly entering an era in which human life is treated as worthless. This is obvious in Gaza, but we can see it elsewhere around the world, as well. With wars proliferating around the Mideast and North Africa, we are poised on the threshold of a new age of genocides. Even inside the United States, mass casualty incidents have become routine, while an entire segment of the underclass is consigned to addiction, homelessness, and death.

As a tactic, self-immolation expresses a logic similar to the premise of the hunger strike. The protester treats himself or herself as a hostage, attempting to use his or her willingness to die to pressure the authorities. This strategy presumes that the authorities are concerned with the protester’s well-being in the first place. Today, however, as we wrote in regards to the hunger strike of Alfredo Cospito,

quote:

No one should have any illusions about how governments view the sanctity of life in the age of COVID-19, when the United States government can countenance the deaths of a million people without blushing while the Russian government explicitly employs convicts as cannon fodder. The newly-elected fascist politicians who govern Italy have no scruples about consigning whole populations to death, let alone permitting a single anarchist to die.

In this case, Aaron was not an imprisoned anarchist, but an active-duty member of the US military. His linkedin profile specifies that he graduated from basic training “top of flight and top of class.” Will this make any difference to the US government?

If nothing else, Aaron’s action shows that genocide cannot take place overseas without collateral damage on this side of the ocean. Unfortunately, the authorities have never been especially moved by the deaths of US military personnel. Countless US veterans have struggled with addiction and homelessness since returning from Iraq and Afghanistan. Veterans commit suicide at a much higher rate than all other adults. The US military continues to use weapons that expose US troops to permanent brain injuries.

Members of the military are taught to understand their willingness to die as the chief resource they have to put at the service of the things they believe in. In many cases, this way of thinking is passed down intergenerationally. At the same time, the ruling class takes the deaths of soldiers in stride. This is what they have decided will be normal.

It is not willingness to die that will sway our rulers. They really fear our lives, not our deaths—they fear our willingness to act collectively according to a different logic, actively interrupting their order.

Many things that are worth doing entail risks, but choosing to intentionally end your life means foreclosing years or decades of possibility, denying the rest of us a future with you. If such a decision is ever appropriate, it is only when every other possible course of action has been exhausted.

Uncertainty is one of the most difficult things for human beings to bear. There is a tendency to seek to resolve it as quickly as possible, even by imposing the worst-case scenario in advance—even if that means choosing death. There is a sort of relief in knowing how things will turn out. Too often, despair and self-sacrifice mingle and blur together, offering an all-too-simple escape from tragedies that appear unsolvable.

If your heart is broken by the horrors in Gaza and you are prepared to bear significant consequences to try to stop them, we urge you to do everything in your power to find comrades and make plans collectively. Lay the foundations for a full life of resistance to colonialism and all forms of oppression. Prepare to take risks as your conscience demands, but don’t hurry towards self-destruction. We desperately need you alive, at our side, for all that is to come.

As we wrote in 2011 in reference to the self-immolation of Mohamed Bouazizi,

quote:

Nothing is more terrifying than departing from what we know. It may take more courage to do this without killing oneself than it does to light oneself on fire. Such courage is easier to find in company; there is so much we can do together that we cannot do as individuals. If he had been able to participate in a powerful social movement, perhaps Bouazizi would never have committed suicide; but paradoxically, for such a thing to be possible, each of us has to take a step analogous to the one he took into the void.

Let’s admit that the kind of protest activity that has taken place thus far in the United States has not served to compel the US government to compel a halt to the genocide in Gaza. It is an open question what could accomplish that. Aaron’s action challenges us to answer this question—and to answer it differently than he did.

We mourn his passing.

If you or your family members are currently serving in the US military, please contact the GI Rights Hotline at 1-877-447-4487.

(1) In the email, Aaron specified his pronouns as he/him. ↩

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 02:44 on Feb 27, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Haroun Al-Amriki, may God's prayers and peace be upon him

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

VROOM VROOM posted:

may his fire light the way.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
https://x.com/Aldanmarki/status/1762273370605818194?s=20

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Nah beyond knowing the closest tower the phones are pinging actual direction finding is harder and takes longer than you might expect. During an attack it'd provide gently caress all useful tactical int because they'd be using encryption anyway. It's also a known capability so they wouldn't be giving anything away by loving with them, but to cut off individual phones would have to be done through the provider I think, maybe they could shut down the towers themselves, but that would also gently caress up any civs trying to call for help or whatever.

Of course that's all moot because the IDF was too hosed to even coordinate any sort of response beyond "shoot anything that moves" even hours later :shrug:

Whenever I am around multiple towers my phone knows where it is pretty well.
Encryption is only as good as its users and dudes reusing the same sims might not be super savvy with this stuff. When half of the popular encryption tools have direct links to three letter agencies.
The spook dude specifically said it wasn't a known capability and the reuse of sims testifies to this.

I don't think the IDF adopting a shoot anything that moves strategy means they were ill informed, that seems to be par for the course

Turdfuzz posted:

Please do not describe people dieing in this forum

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

Weka posted:

Please do not describe people dieing in this forum

fair enough
sorry

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

we also still like to argue over whether or not John Brown was "insane," even from Yankees who like to toot their horn about how much they hate slavery. the American attitude towards any kind of radical justice is completely schizophrenic.

Case in point is oct 7th itself. Many are for a ceasefire, aghast at the violence Israel is enacting. But even then its frustratingly common to hear "well yes, Hamas did a terrorism, BUT". A refusal to acknowledge that maybe, maybe, it was a military or revolutionary act. That it was an armed revolt. The poo poo fantasized constantly in popular fiction.

...well, until the 3rd act comes around and all of a sudden some principal character has to mutter "oh my god, not like this" or some tepid nonsense. But thats the schizophrenia for you.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

ex post facho posted:

Is there a source for charities that a U.S. citizen can legally donate to that directly goes to Palestinian aid, with minimal overhead or fees?

groups at my university are holding a gaza fundraiser on Wednesday and Thursday with Baitulmaal but iunno anything about that organization

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 18 days!)

gradenko_2000 posted:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Hamas official statement regarding Aaron Bushnell

======

“We in the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) express our deepest condolences and our full solidarity with the family and friends of the American pilot Aaron Bushnell, whose name has been immortalized as a defender of human values and the oppression of the Palestinian people who are suffering because of the American administration and its unjust policies, as well as the American activist Rachel Corrie, who was crushed by a Zionist bulldozer in Rafah in In 2003, it is the same city that Bushnell paid with his life for putting pressure on his country’s government to prevent the criminal Zionist army from attacking it and committing massacres and violations there.

The administration of US President Biden bears full responsibility for the death of US Army pilot Aaron Bushnell due to its policy that supported the Nazi Zionist entity in its war of extermination against our Palestinian people, as he gave his life in order to shed light on the Zionist massacres and ethnic cleansing against our people in the Gaza Strip.

The heroic pilot, Aaron Bushnell, will remain immortal in the memory of our Palestinian people and the free people of the world, and a symbol of the spirit of global human solidarity with our people and their just cause.

The tragic accident that cost Pilot Bushnell his life is an expression of the growing state of anger among the American people who reject their country’s policy that contributes to the killing and extermination of our people, and who reject their government’s violation of universal human values, by providing cover to ensure the impunity of the entity and its Nazi leaders from punishment and accountability.”

https://x.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1762225663673561346?s=20

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

this dumb fucker needs a shoe

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

re: the other person who set themselves on fire in Atlanta in December in front of the Israeli consulate there…

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67597395

this is the article that BBC linked in its latest brief on Aaron Bushnell; it doesn’t specify any ID’ing info or outcome for the protestor in Atlanta, but it does have this statement from the Atlanta consulate:

quote:

In a statement, the consul general of Israel to the south-east US, Anat Sultan-Dadon, said that the diplomatic mission is "saddened to learn of the self-immolation at the entrance to the office building".
"It is tragic to see the hate and incitement toward Israel expressed in such a horrific way," she added.

"The sanctity of life is our highest value. Our prayers are with the security officer who was injured while trying to prevent this tragic act".

dti. dta.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

RealityWarCriminal posted:

this dumb fucker needs a shoe

Schuhwerfengesicht

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SMERSH Mouth posted:

re: the other person who set themselves on fire in Atlanta in December in front of the Israeli consulate there…

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-67597395

this is the article that BBC linked in its latest brief on Aaron Bushnell; it doesn’t specify any ID’ing info or outcome for the protestor in Atlanta, but it does have this statement from the Atlanta consulate:

dti. dta.

jesus christ

Weka
May 5, 2019

Turns out this Bushnell fellow was trying to be a good dude for a while

https://twitter.com/ShaykhSulaiman/status/1762267697910268214

Turdfuzz posted:

fair enough
sorry

Cheers mate

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
its wild seeing ansarallah and hamas snd the taliban all immediately showing more recognition and respect to Bushnell, American Troop At War With Them, than the American media government and military combined could even pretend to muster

this country is a lich

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FirstnameLastname posted:

its wild seeing ansarallah and hamas snd the taliban all immediately showing more recognition and respect to Bushnell, American Troop At War With Them, than the American media government and military combined could even pretend to muster

this country is a lich

gamemaster aaron with the goated funeral guests

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Why are anarchist groups allowing active duty American troops to organise with them???

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Why are anarchist groups allowing active duty American troops to organise with them???

it's because they're anarchists.

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Haroun Al-Amriki was a cat dad

https://x.com/notclever4/status/1762231705316835514?s=46

CheetoVonTito has issued a correction as of 03:53 on Feb 27, 2024

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

Action Jacktion posted:

Larger version:

If you feel like printing, here's an SVG converted from the PDF found on the artist's public gdrive.

Diff version, but close enough. He does commissions too: https://www.instagram.com/krime_1/

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I don't think there are any marxist-leninist active troops, and it's extremely rare for that to even be a thing in former troops, it's basically anarchists only (as far as anti-capitalists go). I'm not entirely sure why the american armed forces produces embarrassing anarchist children but they do.

I guess if they were the kind of people who were able to like read books and political theory and stuff they wouldn't have signed up for the armed forces.

e: not to minimize Aaron Bushnell or what he did, he had more moral fiber and conviction than basically the entire western marxist movement as far as actual action in the world goes. Just an observation about the political makeup of the armed forces.

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 03:58 on Feb 27, 2024

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Flournival Dixon posted:

I don't think there are any marxist-leninist active troops, and it's extremely rare for that to even be a thing in former troops, it's basically only anarchists only (as far as anti-capitalists go). I'm not entirely sure why the american armed forces produces embarrassing anarchist children but they do.
the MLs only start popping up in a draft. too smart to join otherwise

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveblog_entry/man-self-immolates-outside-the-israeli-embassy-in-washington/

quote:

A man set himself on fire outside the Israeli embassy in Washington a short while ago, the Foreign Ministry says in a statement.

The statement adds that the man was not known to the embassy prior to the self-immolation and that an ambulance was called and he was taken to the hospital.

Hebrew media outlet Walla reports that he is suffering from life-threatening injuries and that no embassy staff were harmed.

The background of the incident is unclear.

Stellar reporting. DTI, DTA.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Flournival Dixon posted:

I don't think there are any marxist-leninist active troops, and it's extremely rare for that to even be a thing in former troops, it's basically anarchists only (as far as anti-capitalists go). I'm not entirely sure why the american armed forces produces embarrassing anarchist children but they do.

I guess if they were the kind of people who were able to like read books and political theory and stuff they wouldn't have signed up for the armed forces.

e: not to minimize Aaron Bushnell or what he did, he had more moral fiber and conviction than basically the entire western marxist movement as far as actual action in the world goes. Just an observation about the political makeup of the armed forces.

when i was interviewed for PSL they sent a guy who was an active duty air force musician to chat lol

CheetoVonTito
Nov 11, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Here’s an answer to your question and a heartwarming story:

“He worked 136.5 hours for about 13 cents an hour and gave it all to help the besieged people of Gaza”

https://x.com/mashouf/status/1762261051448680485?s=46

He donated to CareforGaza

ex post facho posted:

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
What do the American elite even get out of propping up this lovely client state at this point?!

---

gradenko_2000 posted:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Aljazeera has revealed some of the points Israel has agreed to or proposed in the paris negotiations for a cease-fire, arab analysts are saying many of these are significant backdowns for israel, while Hamas if they agree to these will be compromising the number of prisoners of israel in exchange for immediate and significant aid to gaza.

=======

Terms of a preliminary agreement approved by Israel

Sources revealed to Al Jazeera the terms of the initial framework for the ceasefire and prisoner exchange that Israel recently agreed to in Paris:

Israel stipulated the gradual return of the displaced to the northern Gaza Strip, with the exception of those of military service age.

Tel Aviv accepted Hamas's request to increase the entry of aid and temporary homes into the Gaza Strip and bring in heavy machinery and equipment.

Israel proposed repositioning its forces outside crowded areas and halting aerial reconnaissance for 8 hours a day.

Israel agreed to release 400 Palestinian prisoners, including a number of people with high sentences.

Israel's release of 400 prisoners will be matched by the release of 40 Israeli women and elderly prisoners.

https://www.aljazeera.net/news/live...%B9%D9%84%D9%89

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

thats like 1% of what hamas sked for

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Bushnell immolated himself because he couldn't stand the injustice he was helping enforce any longer and not because of depression or some poo poo, but "getting your affairs in order before you kill yourself" is common behavior in the suicidal

Flournival Dixon posted:

Anarchy seems easier to latch onto when you're looking for an answer to the question "how do we make the world a better place". There also hasn't been an anarchist witch hunt in over a century in America, so it's less culturally maligned than communism, tarred as it is with the deaths of a hundred gorillion innocent political Germans.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Flournival Dixon posted:

I don't think there are any marxist-leninist active troops, and it's extremely rare for that to even be a thing in former troops,

do cadets count as active duty, because there was that one weirdo

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FirstnameLastname posted:

this country is a lich

get ready because in a little bit all of these statements of recognition of his sacrifice in opposition to US policy from people the US regards as national enemies are going to be used as evidence that he was a bribed agent/traitor all along acting in direct accordance with the orders of {enemy intelligence agency name}

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Al-Saqr posted:

Aljazeera has revealed some of the points Israel has agreed to or proposed in the paris negotiations for a cease-fire:-

=======

Terms of a preliminary agreement approved by Israel

Sources revealed to Al Jazeera the terms of the initial framework for the ceasefire and prisoner exchange that Israel recently agreed to in Paris:

Israel stipulated the gradual return of the displaced to the northern Gaza Strip, with the exception of those of military service age.

If they do this like the US did in Iraq and Afghanistan, isn't "military service age" considered everyone over the age of 12 or some nonsense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
So basically anyone capable of providing for children or the elderly is banned from an area that has no services and is strewn with rubble.

Fantastic. Very credible offer.