Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
WFM has a lot of problems, but those are problems that are shared by a lot of the rest of the franchise. The pacing is rough in the back half, and there's stuff that just never really gets resolved, but those are hardly unique sins. It's not the first series to have interesting political problems going on in setting that just kind of get handwaved away when the big space magic happens. Though admittedly I can't think of any others rn that leave ends as loose as Kenanji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
His belt sure isn't loose, the fat gently caress.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's a lot of mediocre Gundam. Compare that to Macross which is feast or famine with its quality. Or VOTOMS which is massive peaks and then an unstoppable hurtling into the abyss.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chrome line posted:

WFM has a lot of problems, but those are problems that are shared by a lot of the rest of the franchise. The pacing is rough in the back half, and there's stuff that just never really gets resolved, but those are hardly unique sins. It's not the first series to have interesting political problems going on in setting that just kind of get handwaved away when the big space magic happens. Though admittedly I can't think of any others rn that leave ends as loose as Kenanji

I get why you consider Kenanji a loose end but that character's entire situation was genuinely one of the funniest ways for that angle to go down. It's also startlingly realistic, because as far as the characters are concerned, from his perspective Kenanji was just doing his job and from Prospera's perspective she's got so much bigger fish to fry, she's absolutely willing to work with (and use) the people who murdered her friends and loved ones to do it and "the grunt who actually pulled the trigger on my husband" is clearly far down the list of her priorities. So while the audience is primed to hate him for his role in the prologue, the whiplash of meeting him again 20 years later is hilarious.

So we're left with basically an even goofier Yazan Gable who never really gets to return to being an edgy hardass, comedy relief Yazan is just his life now until he needs to respond to an active shooter at a school

I still chuckle whenever I think about him.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

most gundam is middling-to-good but unfortunately the tomino style of gundam i find difficult to keep with for the length those shows tend to run. stuff like 0083 is poorly written but still very fun(ny) to watch, i refuse to call that bad.

chrome line posted:

(ridiculously light spoiler i guess)what political problems in the franchise get resolved? UC certainly doesn't resolve basically any of its problems ever. stuff like wing that tries to tie a neat bow on "and then war was done forever and the colonies stopped being oppressed" is pretty rare, and even wing had that ending refuted in its OVA.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

most gundam is middling-to-good but unfortunately the tomino style of gundam i find difficult to keep with for the length those shows tend to run. stuff like 0083 is poorly written but still very fun(ny) to watch, i refuse to call that bad.

I won't, I'm absolutely willing to admit something's poo poo and still enjoy it.

It's a technique that helps to maintain perspective and avoid getting one's sense of self-worth too tied up in petty bullshit like media opinions.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This does mean I'm not actually refuting gripweed's assertion, and am fine with leaving his opinion on the quality of Gundam in general be. I just don't find his opinions helpful.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Runa posted:

It's a technique that helps to maintain perspective and avoid getting one's sense of self-worth too tied up in petty bullshit like media opinions.

It'd be nice if I could actually beat that feeling out of myself considering I got way, way too into WFM

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2024

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

WfM is one of the better AU entries in the franchise, probably worth the time if you like Gundam. There is a lot that's worse, honestly the major releases of the last decade have all been p decent. It's the run from the middle 90s to the early 2010s where there is a real staggering range to the quality of the products.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'd put WfM near the mid-top of the AUs, yeah. It's not the absolute best, nowhere near the nadir, and unlike Gundam X I don't want to shove shards of glass in my ears every time the protagonist talks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Build Fighters is still one of my top shows, alongside the original Gundam. Iron Blooded is there, too. 0080. Turn A.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Suletta is our friend.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tae posted:

Build Fighters is still one of my top shows, alongside the original Gundam. Iron Blooded is there, too. 0080. Turn A.

:same:

the first build fighters was some real good stuff. Nothing world changing or anything but fun to watch.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm still impressed that Build Divers Re:Rise was able to thread the needle of telling a story that feels like a Gundam story while still be a younger kids toy anime

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

only 24 episodes for wfm was a crime

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Runa posted:

I can't really use your taste as an effective barometer for whether I'll like something because you're usually hyping up SEED when I got bored of it halfway through.

I have never hyped up SEED, I have consistently said it's "not that bad"

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gripweed posted:

I have never hyped up SEED, I have consistently said it's "not that bad"

I guess I just misread your vibe whenever you're going hard defending it, then.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I'm still impressed that Build Divers Re:Rise was able to thread the needle of telling a story that feels like a Gundam story while still be a younger kids toy anime

And it's a Gundam story that eschews most of the typical character and plot tropes of Gundam. It has the Gundam spirit while still feeling modern and fresh

Runa posted:

I guess I just misread your vibe whenever you're going hard defending it, then.

oh yeah, it gets a totally unwarranted amount of poo poo in the Western fan base, so I am frequently forced to fill the role of SEED defender. But I am hardly a huge SEED fan.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ah, fair enough

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

And it's a Gundam story that eschews most of the typical character and plot tropes of Gundam. It has the Gundam spirit while still feeling modern and fresh

oh yeah, it gets a totally unwarranted amount of poo poo in the Western fan base, so I am frequently forced to fill the role of SEED defender. But I am hardly a huge SEED fan.

Yeah, I don't like SEED much at all but it is the kind of thing where not despising it can feel like liking it in comparison

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

only 24 episodes for wfm was a crime

See while I probably would of liked 1-2 more episodes to flesh out a few things and I do want more series in the setting I'm not sure the type of story Witch was telling would of benefited from be s three or 4 cour series. I think being 2 cour and having tighter pacing worked a lot better for it

HamburgerTownUSA
Aug 7, 2022
I liked WfM enough to get a copy of that unofficial doujin that the staff put out at Comiket in protest to the whole "open to interpretation" thing, but I agree that it could have used a few extra episodes to flesh things out a little better so that the ending wouldn't have been as frantic.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

ninjewtsu posted:

(ridiculously light spoiler i guess)what political problems in the franchise get resolved? UC certainly doesn't resolve basically any of its problems ever. stuff like wing that tries to tie a neat bow on "and then war was done forever and the colonies stopped being oppressed" is pretty rare, and even wing had that ending refuted in its OVA.

I mean nothing gets resolved in UC but the shows know that and view that as this tragic thing. ZZ ends with Judau punching Bright because nothing changes and he knows he can't do anything about it. WFM feels to me like it thinks the ending is much simpler and happier than it actually is

Runa posted:

I get why you consider Kenanji a loose end but that character's entire situation was genuinely one of the funniest ways for that angle to go down. It's also startlingly realistic, because as far as the characters are concerned, from his perspective Kenanji was just doing his job and from Prospera's perspective she's got so much bigger fish to fry, she's absolutely willing to work with (and use) the people who murdered her friends and loved ones to do it and "the grunt who actually pulled the trigger on my husband" is clearly far down the list of her priorities. So while the audience is primed to hate him for his role in the prologue, the whiplash of meeting him again 20 years later is hilarious.

So we're left with basically an even goofier Yazan Gable who never really gets to return to being an edgy hardass, comedy relief Yazan is just his life now until he needs to respond to an active shooter at a school

I still chuckle whenever I think about him.

I mean it's a very funny thing to do but I also don't think that's intentional. And he's still a huge piece of poo poo when we see him again, he's still a massive cop. I obviously don't think every villain needs to be rightfully punished, it just feels like part of a trend where the show doesn't resolve a lot of stuff it felt like it was setting up, and not in a way that felt intentional or interesting. It might be realistic, but it's not compelling to me

I still liked WFM overall, it just felt like the last chunk didn't cohere well. Which again, isn't a unique problem and doesn't ruin it or anything.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Count Thrashula posted:

Thanks for all the feedback! Yeah, most of the criticism I saw was admittedly on Facebook, so that could fully be because of having gay characters.

For me though? Give me all the gay Gundam pilots.

Have you heard of this Char Aznable guy?

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

grassy gnoll posted:

Have you heard of this Char Aznable guy?
                          \

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

"Lalah could have been like a mother to me" was an attempt to explain to Amuro that Char is not interested in women, it just went the same way Char talking about himself usually does, poorly.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
That's legit how I interpreted that when I first watched it (after going 'why did he say that...' a bunch). He was trying to say like "Amuro, it wasn't romantic between me and her, it was like a family thing! I was mad that you killed her but I didn't love her like that, I've really been dedicated to you this whole time!" but hosed up the start and just decided to shut up and face death with as much dignity as he had left

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Amuro's "what" response is the cherry on top whe he realizes just what he's dealing with at that moment.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Thinking by series, and skipping over your example...

G has eliminated regular war before the series starts and has Neo-Japan moving to reduce the inequality and environmental damage caused by the Gundam Fight, although we don't know how much progress they've made by the end.

X has basically nothing.

Turn A had peace between Earth and the Moon, and it's implied to be long lasting.

SEED is a UC-style rolling clusterfuck, but the Good Guys are moving towards the levers of power by the end of Destiny to reduce the damage from future clusterfucks.

00 unifies the power blocks, makes peace with aliens, and eventually causes a longer lasting peace, even if there's a big war off screen in the middle.

AGE fixes things at the end, with Flit getting a statue for deciding to not genocide all Martians at the last minute.

G-Reco is UC descended, so yeah. Nothing is solved.

IBO has slavery abolished, Mars is free, and Gjallarhorn is a democracy now. Pretty big political wins.

So, yeah. By the numbers, most AUs seem to have some level of success in the political sphere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

That Works posted:

Chuchu knocking a motherfucker out was peak catharsis of the franchise’s misogyny of the past

Not just delivering an absolutely brutal OHK, but actually letting Chuchu and the other girl slug it out instead of arbitrarily breaking up the fight before it could get going in earnest.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not just delivering an absolutely brutal OHK, but actually letting Chuchu and the other girl slug it out instead of arbitrarily breaking up the fight before it could get going in earnest.

poo poo ruled. Chuchu would have just beat down Beecha or Mondo the first second they started poo poo that put the others at risk.

10/10 one of the best side characters in the whole franchise. Bonus that they let her continue to develop and help in her own best way at the end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chiasaur11 posted:

So, yeah. By the numbers, most AUs seem to have some level of success in the political sphere.

I'd probably give X and G-Reco passing grades. Both of them have settings that were on a somewhat positive trajectory before certain individuals and factions started stirring poo poo, and both of those shows' climaxes involve the permanent removal of pretty much all of the prominent poo poo-stirrers.

Captain Joe
Oct 25, 2009

The rain falls on murderers and madmen, the same as it does on innocent children... and it can't stop a bullet.

That Works posted:

poo poo ruled. Chuchu would have just beat down Beecha or Mondo the first second they started poo poo that put the others at risk.

10/10 one of the best side characters in the whole franchise. Bonus that they let her continue to develop and help in her own best way at the end.

I actually finished ZZ last month and wish someone would slug Beecha and Mondo the whole time. Half the cast needs a good punch at one point or another.

On an entirely different point, I also watched CCA and it felt like the plot moved way too fast Or that things happen at a lightning pace. Even given that it’s a movie, is that odd?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

CCA is a movie that kinda sucks the first time you watch it and then gets significantly better with each rewatch

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's good the first time too!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

muike posted:

it's good the first time too!

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

ninjewtsu posted:

CCA is a movie that kinda sucks the first time you watch it and then gets significantly better with each rewatch

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

I'd probably give X and G-Reco passing grades. Both of them have settings that were on a somewhat positive trajectory before certain individuals and factions started stirring poo poo, and both of those shows' climaxes involve the permanent removal of pretty much all of the prominent poo poo-stirrers.

X has the Frosts survive for some reason, and the followup manga confirms they're plenty to cause problems on their own.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also Tomino's movies are just kinda like that. It's pretty obvious with both CCA and F91 that they're compromised and truncated versions of what are meant to be longer stories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Waffleman_ posted:

Also Tomino's movies are just kinda like that. It's pretty obvious with both CCA and F91 that they're compromised and truncated versions of what are meant to be longer stories

So you'd say they're only the beginning?