Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cacator posted:

Cuntley is kind of an insult-proof name if you think about it.

"You're such a oval office!"
"No, I'm Cuntley :smug:"
I'm not sure it works that way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, a good prank doesn't generally leave a victim crying from physical and emotional pain.

I'm also dying at the "super fuckable" 300 morbidly obese woman. When people use the term fuckable, they generally mean how hot someone is and it's not a statement to quantify the amount of folds and flabs that one can insert themselves into.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

AITA for telling my son’s girlfriend to break up with him?

quote:

My (F41) son (M20) has been in a relationship with his girlfriend, Lily (F20), for about three years now.

I love my son and I hate to say this, but he’s not turned out to be a good person. He has very little work ethic, has no desire to get a job or go to college, and spends most of his time gaming or partying. Lily on the other hand, is the polar opposite. She’s very studious, has aspirations to be a doctor, is a very good swimmer, and is currently away at college.

When my son and Lily first got together in high school, they were an excellent match. We loved having Lily over and my son definitely took more care of himself. Since then, it’s rapidly deteriorated. I know my son still loves Lily, but he never gives her the attention she deserves and with her clear potential, I just feel she deserves better.

When Lily came to visit a few days ago, she was visibly upset. When my son went to the store, I asked her if she was okay, and she told me that she didn’t know what to do and wondered why my son had such little ambition and was so lazy. I told her I didn’t see it changing anytime soon (as that’s my view given it’s been ongoing for almost two years); when she asked what I would do in her situation, I told her to put herself first and what she wanted. Lily thanked me and said she’d think about things.

Well earlier today, my son comes downstairs in a rage telling me that Lily had broken up with him via text. I asked him what she said and apparently the message referred to “discussions with your mom” that had made her rethink the relationship. My son was livid that I’d gotten involved and said I’d overstepped boundaries. I told him that I didn’t advise Lily to leave him, just said she had to make her own choices and decide what was best for her.

My son is now not talking to me and my husband is annoyed believing that having no Lily will make my son’s rut last even longer. I also miss having Lily around.

So, AITA?

Lmao, Lily, ya didn’t need to rat out the mom!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

PetraCore posted:

Who cares if Meadow is hippy poo poo?

Not even that hippy, there's literally a character on the Sopranos called that.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

Discovered a new (to me) subreddit - r/OhNoConsequences - and it has some gold to mine. Like this (a r/ra post from four years ago)

I cheated with my brothers girlfriend and married her 10 years ago. How can we reconcile?

I cheated with, stole, and then married my brother's girlfriend, shattering my extended family and compelling multiple siblings to go NC with me. After ten years I'm starting to feel some of the consequences of my actions - what's the absolute bare minimum I need to do to make everything better, so long as it doesn't me taking responsibility for my own actions? Help me, Reddit!

Good on Ezra and his one loyal brother for going NC and building rich, fulfilling lives for themselves with new families, so much so that their old family is starting to feel real regret at what they threw away (and OP and his wife are frightened that the long-delayed blame for that is going to fall squarely on their deserving heads). Living well really is the best revenge.

So basically this guy's issue is he's mad his brother moved on instead of malingering on it like he has, and that his parents never gave him their blessing for betraying his brother. So many words just to say his happiness depends on his brothers' unhappiness.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Deified Data posted:

So basically this guy's issue is he's mad his brother moved on instead of malingering on it like he has, and that his parents never gave him their blessing for betraying his brother. So many words just to say his happiness depends on his brothers' unhappiness.

"my wife is a permanent reminder of the time I emotionally destroyed you. why don't we hang out more?"

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Crocobile posted:

Lmao, Lily, ya didn’t need to rat out the mom!

Well at least you won't be too cut up losing contact with your son when he moves out I guess.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DangerDongs posted:

I'm also dying at the "super fuckable" 300 morbidly obese woman. When people use the term fuckable, they generally mean how hot someone is and it's not a statement to quantify the amount of folds and flabs that one can insert themselves into.

I'm honestly impressed by her confidence. Hell, I'm half her weight and think I'm pretty unfuckable (though a fair bit of that is general goonishness as much as anything else).

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cuntley is an awful girl's name but probably fine if you're planning on your son growing up to be an evil majordomo played by Tim Curry or something

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 27, 2024

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Cuntly is a bad name, but how about Cuntleigh?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cacator posted:

That's why if I were to ever become a politician, I'd just get a Hitler moustache. My political opponents would be constantly frustrated by their inability to satirise and demonise me by drawing me with a Hitler moustache. I'd be like "yes, that is how I look tyvm :smug:"

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

keep punching joe posted:

Cuntleigh Ambrose is probably what the Aussie batters called Curtley behind his back.

BrideOfUglycat
Oct 30, 2000

Mx. posted:

AITA? I bought a non-traditional toy for my niece.

Are you kidding? That's A+ level parenting from a non-parent.

Rat Patrol posted:

Here in the US we JUST had a parent of a school shooter found guilty of manslaughter despite their son having been charged as an adult. The justice system frequently does not make sense when the situation gets crazy

The Crumbley case was its own brand of hosed up. The shooter was 15, had been asking his chud parents for help with the demons telling him to do bad things (literally), and his parents' response was to buy him a gun and tell him to hide the ammo better. When the school contacted the parents about getting him help after he was caught drawing pictures of killing people with the words "Help Me" written on classwork, they refused and forced the school to send him back to class. THEN he shot his fellow students.

His parents' response then? To abandon the kid to the police, ditch their phones, and flee. They failed their child at every step of the way. He should absolutely be in prison for what he's done and get help for whatever issues he has. The people who should bear the brunt of this punishment, his parents, are getting off lightly.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shanghaied posted:

In which "AH" has a different meaning:

AITA for not removing sensitive books, and "making fun of my Sil's education"

I found the book they are talking about. It's called Mein Kampf Eine kritische Edition and was the work of several years from the Institute of Contemporary History in Munich, its 2000 pages and more annotations and notes then original text. It cites tons on current events, news articles, mass publications of the time to disprove a lot of the myths about it as well.

It is also expensive as hell and clearly a scholarly review, it doesn't even try to hide it.

Being shocked at seeing it in the home of a professional academic historian is dumb but understandable, however it can be settled with 30 seconds of conversation "oh that was published once the original copywright expired, its meant to be the definitive scholarly critical edition and is also a history of how the book came about and its influence"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Deified Data posted:

His issue is the nice comfy status quo that he's had for the last decade (where mom and dad picked him and dote on his grandkids) is being overturned (where the re-emergence of his brothers and their families has mom and dad and the rest of the family realizing what they gave up when they picked him over them) and now he's flailing around trying to "fix" his relationship with his brothers before everything comes crashing down on him.

He commented a lot on that post (his only post under that account) and he just digs his hole deeper and deeper, it's genuinely impressive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

BrideOfUglycat posted:

The Crumbley case was its own brand of hosed up. The shooter was 15, had been asking his chud parents for help with the demons telling him to do bad things (literally), and his parents' response was to buy him a gun and tell him to hide the ammo better. When the school contacted the parents about getting him help after he was caught drawing pictures of killing people with the words "Help Me" written on classwork, they refused and forced the school to send him back to class. THEN he shot his fellow students.

His parents' response then? To abandon the kid to the police, ditch their phones, and flee. They failed their child at every step of the way. He should absolutely be in prison for what he's done and get help for whatever issues he has. The people who should bear the brunt of this punishment, his parents, are getting off lightly.

Yeah, he explicitly asked his mother for help and when she was asked on the stand why she didn't intervene her response was 'oh he was always such a joker I thought he was making a joke'

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
AITA for wanting the toilet door locked

quote:

So in my family no one really locked the bathroom growing up, neither when they were showering nor when taking a dump or a quick pee.

But as I got older and started hitting puberty, I realised this was unusual and also started feeling uncomfortable with this. Once I was on the toilet and my mother, wanting to tell me something, just barged in. I immediately told her to leave but she just ignored it and kept on talking. Since that event, I've started locking the door. Often my parents will ignore the "occupied" and pull on the door and then grunt in annoyance before they make their way to the other bathroom.

Another problem is that they don't lock the door and while they may feel okay, I don't feel comfortable with walking in on my parent making GBS threads either.

It's even worse when I lock it during showering because of cause they will suddenly need something out of the bathroom and be irritated by my "prudeness". My mother has told me that she "doesn't even know what I look like naked anymore" and that she is my mother and that it's nothing she hasn't seen anyways.

They make me feel like an overly sensitive, silly prude when I bring this up. I just keep on locking the doors anyways, but how can I get them to lock the door as well? Is that really such an utopian expectation? Has anyone else had this struggle?

When I first moved out, my roommate and I bonded over the fact that we both came families where the parents don't even always close the door when they're doing their business, like we were both "OMG it's so nice to live with someone who doesn't want to talk to you when they're taking the morning poo poo."

That and we both have dads who does the weekly cleaning in their underwear and nothing else.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, he explicitly asked his mother for help and when she was asked on the stand why she didn't intervene her response was 'oh he was always such a joker I thought he was making a joke'

Some article said she was making fun of her son in texts to her affair partner over it as well.

In the time frame shortly after the shooting the idea of charging the parents was met with the right wing fear of jack boot thugs arresting innocent angel parents but as more information came out the parents were so completely negligent no one was batting an eye at them facing charges for being accessories to the mass shooting, I don't even think Fox News bothered to make noise about it.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

BrideOfUglycat posted:

Are you kidding? That's A+ level parenting from a non-parent.

OH yeah I didn't get into details because I didn't want to derail the thread with something extremely hosed up. I personally dislike the parents, find them horrible, believe they deserve punishments for the many times they neglected their child and misused firearms. I'm just saying, it's certainly something that they tried the kid as an adult (I say "tried" but he did a plea so there's no trial) and then also held the parents responsible for his actions. I think I would feel better about them being held accountable for THEIR actions (the neglect and absolute irresponsibility with their firearms) than his, or him being treated like a minor and them being held responsible for him, but like you say, the case is super hosed. I don't shed a tear for the parents getting what they're getting. Mostly I'm worried about the precedent going forward but that's neither here nor there

Rat Patrol fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 27, 2024

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Shanghaied posted:

My mother has told me that she "doesn't even know what I look like naked anymore"

That is genuinely disturbing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I feel like "doesn't even know what I look like naked anymore" and "she is my mother and that it's nothing she hasn't seen anyways" are a bit contradictory.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
What's with all the Canadian prosthetics today?

WIBTAH if I sued my best friends sister for breaking my prosthetic leg

quote:

A couple of days ago, my best friends youngest sisters (5 and 7 years old) broke my hip prosthetic leg, while I was resting, and her middle sister (20 years old) apparently watched.

As it is unfortunatly customed it can't easily be replaced and (I have a secondary normal/Emergency one, so I can still go by my day as usual, but I'm constantly uncomfortable as it isn't specialized) the cost for repair is looking to be around 5 000 - 10 000 dollars, because of very specific damage to certain internal parts at the hip part.

I don’t really want to sue, but my stepsister is adamant that I should, especially as my best friends middle sister hates me and had apparently (what they have told us; me, my stepsister, my friend and their mother) egged on her little sisters with money and favors to play and ruthhouse my leg, showing clear malious behaviour.

My friend and her mother obviously doesn't want me to sue, and they have said that they pay me back for the damage. But this isnt really about the damage, more the act? Considering MS doesn't have a lot of money, this would hurt her monetarily and then probably the rest of the family.

I feel horrible, but the vindictive parts of me wants to make my friends MS hurt for this. I know I could lose my friendship with my friend and I really don't want that, but I want MS to get punished.

Would I be the rear end in a top hat if I sued my best friends sister for provoking her younger sisters to play and damage, eventually breaking, my prosthetic leg?

(Edit: The replies to this post is going to be more to remind me its a dumb idea and to explain to my sister that it is a poo poo idea)

Edit 2: MS has been caught throwing my (edit: esl) prosthetic leg in a dumpster before, which is why I believe the kids (that means very little in court, but again, i'm not activly thinking of suing)

Edit 3: Some extra information; I'm 24, female, and my friend is also 24 and female, I was taking a rest at my best friends house after a training session, believing that MS was away, I live in Canada.

Edit 4: MS has contacted me and is willing to pay for 50% (would range between 2,5 to 5k). I don't know where she would get the money, so right now I see it as some ploy? Or could she be geniune? She is working and is living with her family (all of the family lives in the same home), so she could have some money? I'm willling to compromise and just see her get some kinda punishment (I have contacted insurance and they may pay some of it, especially if I can angle it correctly, AKA get admittance from MS and a document documenting the process and affected workflow), like self admitted community services (throught the community board)? I'm not really sure how i want to proceed, but suing is firmly out of the question now (just had a talk with bff, her mom and was sneak "attacked" by the the youngest sisters, who cried and apologized (I know they could have potentially been coursed, but they have always been brutally honest, so I believe they are truly sorry, and I don't want to do anything to hurt any of them directly))

Edit 5: I will also look into homeowner insurance, but as I do have the money for the leg, thank god for being smart (setting up a second account that 1/3 to half my paycheck gets into, living at home, not that my father would let me move out, (papa bear)) and frugal (food, rent, home and my leg, no other expenses, while living with my father), it never was the money, just the act.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Shanghaied posted:

When I first moved out, my roommate and I bonded over the fact that we both came families where the parents don't even always close the door when they're doing their business, like we were both "OMG it's so nice to live with someone who doesn't want to talk to you when they're taking the morning poo poo."

One of the things that bothered me most about the dorm bathrooms during my first year at university, was that you could walk into an empty room, go to the furthest toilet stall from the door, and, inevitably, if someone else walked in while you were in there, they would ignore the entire row of toilets on the other side of the room, sit in the stall right next to you, and try to start a conversation.

WTF I DON'T WANT TO TALK WHILE ON THE TOILET, GO THE gently caress AWAY!

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

FMguru posted:

That whole post is a gem. It's clear that the only reason OP is feeling a simulacrum of remorse is that he feels his family relationships shifting under his feet. When he blew up his brother's relationship and stole his GF, he was the bad guy, but mom and dad and most of the family came around when the first grandchild was born, and the brothers going NC for ten years meant that the issue was never pushed. But now the two brothers have been re-contacted, both of them have new families overflowing with grandchildren, the mom has told OP's wife that she openly despises her and is taking the younger siblings to spend holidays with their newly-discovered nieces and nephews, and his dad had a big sad breakdown when he saw his two estranged sons' thriving families. Even OP's wife is starting to get nervous about her place in the firmament and it's causing stress in her marriage. All the bad mojo that OP thought he'd buried ten years ago is coming back (with interest), and so he's trying to figure out a way to end his estrangement with his brothers before it all comes crashing down on him.

OP thought he had "won", but no, it turns out his brothers were playing the long game (by not even playing the game at all).

I just wanted to say this is an excellent post and I agree whole heartedly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Alright, enough with the stolen prosthetic stories.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

The_Franz posted:

One of the things that bothered me most about the dorm bathrooms during my first year at university, was that you could walk into an empty room, go to the furthest toilet stall from the door, and, inevitably, if someone else walked in while you were in there, they would ignore the entire row of toilets on the other side of the room, sit in the stall right next to you, and try to start a conversation.

We don't really have dorms in the same way in this country, but I once stayed in a friend's dorm room in the UK while visiting. I was taking a shower one evening, and some guy got into the stall next to me, we started talking and he shared his joint with me (the partition was only neck-high), which was cool of him.

(Apparently the students in that building all smoked weed and tobacco in the showers, because it's the only place in the dorm with no smoke detector, because the steam would otherwise set them off)

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Another estranged parent incoming....
although ol' boomer here done the right thing.

quote:

My (F41) son (M20) has been in a relationship with his girlfriend, Lily (F20), for about three years now.

I love my son and I hate to say this, but he’s not turned out to be a good person. He has very little work ethic, has no desire to get a job or go to college, and spends most of his time gaming or partying. Lily on the other hand, is the polar opposite. She’s very studious, has aspirations to be a doctor, is a very good swimmer, and is currently away at college.

When my son and Lily first got together in high school, they were an excellent match. We loved having Lily over and my son definitely took more care of himself. Since then, it’s rapidly deteriorated. I know my son still loves Lily, but he never gives her the attention she deserves and with her clear potential, I just feel she deserves better.

When Lily came to visit a few days ago, she was visibly upset. When my son went to the store, I asked her if she was okay, and she told me that she didn’t know what to do and wondered why my son had such little ambition and was so lazy. I told her I didn’t see it changing anytime soon (as that’s my view given it’s been ongoing for almost two years); when she asked what I would do in her situation, I told her to put herself first and what she wanted. Lily thanked me and said she’d think about things.

Well earlier today, my son comes downstairs in a rage telling me that Lily had broken up with him via text. I asked him what she said and apparently the message referred to “discussions with your mom” that had made her rethink the relationship. My son was livid that I’d gotten involved and said I’d overstepped boundaries. I told him that I didn’t advise Lily to leave him, just said she had to make her own choices and decide what was best for her.

My son is now not talking to me and my husband is annoyed believing that having no Lily will make my son’s rut last even longer. I also miss having Lily around.

So, AITA?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

Did they ever slide their foot under your side of the stall, the notorious sign for "want to have a conversation?"

Or was it more like, "Pooping huh, well alright."

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Another estranged parent incoming....
although ol' boomer here done the right thing.

I guess it IS Tuesday...

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Alright, enough with the stolen prosthetic stories.

Awww, was just about to post the one with the guy who stole one and wanted to be heralded as a hero for recovering it.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

Did they ever slide their foot under your side of the stall, the notorious sign for "want to have a conversation?"

Or was it more like, "Pooping huh, well alright."

I find the latter to be just as intrusive as the former. You dont need to have a smalltalk while taking a poo poo, America

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Fatty posted:

Awww, was just about to post the one with the guy who stole one and wanted to be heralded as a hero for recovering it.
It just gets kind of upsetting I think since stolen mobility aids up to and including prosthetics are functionally the same as ripping off someone's limb in term of life impact, and then the person who had their limb get ripped off has to pay thousands of dollars to replace it. At least, that's my issue personally, don't want to backseat mod.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Great comment on a boring post:

quote:

NTA. Your mother is behaving unreasonably. And causing other people to call you was also unreasonable. That man is not your adopted father, he is your father. You are absolutely making the right decision.

Now. Let's talk about where you might be Y-T-A.

Your behavior towards the comma is borderline abusive. You need to reconsider your relationship with the comma. The period, the semicolon, and even the humble dash or (dare I say it?) slash are all valid forms of punctuation. Share your love amongst all the punctuation.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Cythereal posted:

17 year old nephew charged with assault and theft over $5000. Is also being sued in civil court.

This is one I wish I knew the outcome of. It was from July 2015, and google news has nothing in Ontario for theft of a leg in all of 2015.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

OK, now it wraps around and becomes good again

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Cynntleighh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Mr Teatime posted:

Mom just pure raging because the kid won’t stop squeaking the squeaker. Get her a drum kit next time, dog drums if necessary.
Toys-R-Us used to sell a cheap (like $20) kit of children's musical instruments which included a drum, two drumsticks, two cymbals, a harmonica, and tooty plastic horn. All it was missing was a big sticker on it saying "Perfect for the child whose parents you despise!".

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

The Alchemist posted:

I find the latter to be just as intrusive as the former. You dont need to have a smalltalk while taking a poo poo, America

Yeah, do it through graffiti, the old-fashioned way—

Seen on a wall in a university bathroom posted:

HERE I FIT, BROKEN-SARTED
CAME TO HIT BUT ONLY SHARTED

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Fatty posted:

Okay, I'll allow that one, I remember it being darkly hilarious and with a good outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Cacator posted:

What a loving bullshit reason to put somebody on probation. You're not a reddit mod be loving better.