Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Xemu is what EmuDeck gives you, but just to be aware, Burnout 3 doesn't work on it. I had to use the PS2 version (and rebind accelerate and brake to the triggers) to get Burnout 3 on the deck. If someone knows how the Xbox version can be made work, I'd love to hear it.

Ah, ok so it wasn't just me. I could hear it but nothing loaded visually.

Both Timesplitters games on Xbox worked perfectly through xemu, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Syenite posted:

In my experience it's usually something like GC > PS2 > Windows (if there's a port) > Xbox in terms of playability.
Emulation of that generation is so interesting to me.

Dolphin is certainly the gold standard among emulators, but PCSX2 has been getting quite good recently. So when it comes to multiplatform ports theres a tradeoff that the GC hardware is a bit better than the PS2, but the PS2's DVDs have more storage space than the GC's mini-DVDs.

Also the PS2 controller is a slightly better match to the Deck than the GC's, especially for face button placement. But then you have Windows ports with mouse controls that map well to the trackpads and ma control the best that way.

Like, what's the best way to play, say, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on a Deck given there's at least three ways to do it?

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 26, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Like, what's the best way to play, say, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time on a Deck given there's at least three ways to do it?

The PC port that's £1.70 on Steam right now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

does the pc port have controller support cos if not then it’s probably not the version to get tbh

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I thought my screen was messing up because green lines were blipping when I played Balatro. But I saw the same thing happen on some YouTube reviews, so it must be a graphics glitch. Too minor to have to really fix, but just enough for me to notice.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

thats the aesthetic have you heard the music?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

does the pc port have controller support cos if not then it’s probably not the version to get tbh

If it's on Steam the answer is yes, even if you have to dick around with creating a controller profile.

edit: hell, even if it's not a steam game you can add it and use Steam's controller programming capabilities to remap stuff. I've done that a lot with older flight sims that I have on GoG.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

controller profiles for old pc games can still be way worse than just emulating a console version. I played Stranglehold on deck recently and because of the way the mouse input works in the game, it’s essentially unplayable using a controller profile.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Waffle! posted:

I thought my screen was messing up because green lines were blipping when I played Balatro. But I saw the same thing happen on some YouTube reviews, so it must be a graphics glitch. Too minor to have to really fix, but just enough for me to notice.

I don't get that all but I also turned off all the CRT effects. Try that maybe?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I tried to play F.E.A.R on deck and neither the first or second has any controller support which sort of blew my mind cause those games were pretty big on console like, wtf. The community configs felt pretty clunky too. I just gave up it was a bummer. I know those games are pretty old but it was still surprising.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Back in the day, people were terrified of aim support on PC and the inherent advantage of MKB over controller made a lot of devs think there is no purpose to adding controller support to PC— they’d either be worse than MKB or they’d be too heavily supported by aim assist.

Eventually devs realized that competitive edge or whatever is a stupid thing to balance around compared to just letting people play games for fun, but the inertia was there.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

jokes posted:

Back in the day, people were terrified of aim support on PC and the inherent advantage of MKB over controller made a lot of devs think there is no purpose to adding controller support to PC— they’d either be worse than MKB or they’d be too heavily supported by aim assist.

Eventually devs realized that competitive edge or whatever is a stupid thing to balance around compared to just letting people play games for fun, but the inertia was there.

It's not just competitive edge stuff, aim assist with MKB can really easily veer into either feeling like poo poo because your aim is getting jerked around too much or basically being an aimbot that make the game easy to play in an unfun kind of way. More modern games are better about this, but it could be pretty annoying around the 360 era.

edit: a good example of this is WH40k: Space Marine. I did a play through recently and you can 100% tell the game was built to be controller-first. The KBM controls are both annoying to use due to poo poo snapping onto target too much and also trivialize a lot of encounters that were built out with the expectation of somewhat janky controller aiming. Which frankly I don't mind because I'm an old man gamer now and there were absolutely a few fights where I set down my Deck, booted up the PC, and just loving mulched it with a mouse because I was tired of banging my head against the wall.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 26, 2024

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Lowness 72 posted:

I don't get that all but I also turned off all the CRT effects. Try that maybe?

I did, and I haven't noticed any green lines on other games. It's no big deal.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I caved and bought last epoch and man it’s kinda busted on the deck right now.

Menus don’t highlight so changing poo poo is a pain and I’ve accidentally spent spec points in the wrong place twice.

The map is also broken.

Lots of stutters.

I switched to proton experimental but things work but then other things are busted.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

MarcusSA posted:

So I caved and bought last epoch and man it’s kinda busted on the deck right now.

Menus don’t highlight so changing poo poo is a pain and I’ve accidentally spent spec points in the wrong place twice.

The map is also broken.

Lots of stutters.

I switched to proton experimental but things work but then other things are busted.

You were warned, lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Suburban Dad posted:

You were warned, lol

Listen,

Ok I got nothing.

The game does seem really good so hopefully they can get the deck stuff sorted. I think a lot of it is a proton issue tbh

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

the basic stuff in controller support is all on the devs. It's pretty good on PC so far.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

MarcusSA posted:

Listen,

Ok I got nothing.

The game does seem really good so hopefully they can get the deck stuff sorted. I think a lot of it is a proton issue tbh

I bitched quite a bit about losing a character on offline mode on Steam Deck and having multiple crashes.

I did find, however, that once I moved to Proton Experimental, hard-limited FPS to 40, and gave online mode a try that it ran near flawlessly on my Steam Deck (with the occasional controller glitch nonsense that I can forgive).

So there's hope I guess?

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I need my goon brethren to talk sense at me.

Unicorn Overlord is coming out on every platform BUT PC. I own a Switch but I am ridiculous.

I've considered trying to find a way to emulate the Switch and backup the ROM from a Switch version I'd buy but that seems like a ridiculous amount of work from the guides I've read.

I've considered making my Chiaki4deck open via port-forwarding to use on non-home networks but that both looks complex AND appears to expose me to potential internet vulnerability.

I really want to retire my Switch and just use my Steam Deck for all portable gaming...

...but it'd probably be easiest to just cart my Switch alongside my SteamDeck for a few months, huh?

Signed,

First World Problems.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
The year is 1996, I have a bad head cold and am full of snot, but at least get to stay home from school and can continue playing my child Star Wars nerd fantasy in Dark Forces

The year is 2024, I have a bad head cold and am full of snot, have no choice to work but at least can soon use my newly acquired OLED Deck to continue playing my child Star Wars nerd fantasy in Dark Forces Remastered

(according to the DF review its a good faithful remaster and feels good with controller, looks like its Deck verified although doesn't release until tomorrow, with the only minor issues being you want to set an OLED if you got it to 72 Hz due to the tick rate, and that the dynamic midis feeling slightly off in tempo from the original due to how the Lucasart's music system had worked)

edit: adding vid link if any one else is like me :corsair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGodvshZ9s&t=896s

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Memnaelar posted:

Unicorn Overlord is coming out on every platform BUT PC. I own a Switch but I am ridiculous.

I've considered trying to find a way to emulate the Switch and backup the ROM from a Switch version I'd buy but that seems like a ridiculous amount of work from the guides I've read.

I've considered making my Chiaki4deck open via port-forwarding to use on non-home networks but that both looks complex AND appears to expose me to potential internet vulnerability.

I really want to retire my Switch and just use my Steam Deck for all portable gaming...

...but it'd probably be easiest to just cart my Switch alongside my SteamDeck for a few months, huh?

Signed,

First World Problems.

From what I've heard Switch emulation is fairly decent in the SD. Is it backing up a Switch cart that your worried about, difficulty wise?

Because, personally, I would be okay finding a backup online instead of doing it myself, if I had purchased the game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Going through the process of dumping a Switch cart seems like a lot to put on yourself when having paid for the cart itself seems enough to put you on the right side of the karmic wheel

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Just play the game on the Switch. You don't need to carry both handhelds around.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Tiny Timbs posted:

Going through the process of dumping a Switch cart seems like a lot to put on yourself when having paid for the cart itself seems enough to put you on the right side of the karmic wheel

True, but the days of my scouring sites to determine which places are safe to download a backup from are long behind me. I'll happily buy my own copy (I'm a big kid now who can afford that) but there's no place I trust for a backup that won't potentially do something horrible to my SD, hence why I was looking up how to rip my own... which, not surprisingly, is way too heavy in the Effort department.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

The year is 1996, I have a bad head cold and am full of snot, but at least get to stay home from school and can continue playing my child Star Wars nerd fantasy in Dark Forces

The year is 2024, I have a bad head cold and am full of snot, have no choice to work but at least can soon use my newly acquired OLED Deck to continue playing my child Star Wars nerd fantasy in Dark Forces Remastered

(according to the DF review its a good faithful remaster and feels good with controller, looks like its Deck verified although doesn't release until tomorrow, with the only minor issues being you want to set an OLED if you got it to 72 Hz due to the tick rate, and that the dynamic midis feeling slightly off in tempo from the original due to how the Lucasart's music system had worked)

edit: adding vid link if any one else is like me :corsair:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJGodvshZ9s&t=896s

Oh poo poo that's out tomorrow?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Memnaelar posted:

True, but the days of my scouring sites to determine which places are safe to download a backup from are long behind me. I'll happily buy my own copy (I'm a big kid now who can afford that) but there's no place I trust for a backup that won't potentially do something horrible to my SD, hence why I was looking up how to rip my own... which, not surprisingly, is way too heavy in the Effort department.

Dumping a Switch cart isn't terribly difficult if you already have a hacked switch.

Hacking a Switch is complicated unless you have a specific early model AFAIK.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I always assume anyone saying “dumping their switch cart” means downloading the ROM because why would you be arsed lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I mean, it can be fun from a tinkering perspective to say you've done it

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh poo poo that's out tomorrow?

Apparently! I only learned about it like a week ago but I must be the the target market cause it instantly set off my nostalgia I-need-that switch in my brain.

I am very enjoying my new Deck and it'll be good to play something new to my library with it (mostly cause all I've been using it for is playing Fromsoft games while at work or in bed)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Memnaelar posted:

It's starts with a "z" and is like the 5th result if you google "switch roms"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Papercut posted:

It's starts with a "z" and is like the 5th result if you google "switch roms"

Not to mention the weirdness that is Archive.org becoming a "legal" ROM site over the last few years.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Memnaelar posted:

Signed,

First World Problems.

I put the switch demo on the Steam Deck and it runs fine. If you buy the game itself, you can download whatever copy you want with a clear conscience.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Memnaelar posted:

Steam Deck is a Linux machine. If you download the wrong thing it just won't work. It doesn't explode like Windows when clicking the wrong download button.

You can only dump Switch games if you have a near-launch model Switch, but it's ok if it's updated.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Memnaelar posted:

Signed,

First World Problems.

There’s actually been some recent developments on this front

https://migswitch.com/#/product

Flash cart and dumper can be yours for a cool $125. This is actually really cool, will let you dump/backup any of your games completely. You can even have multiple games in the same flash cart and toggle through them and play them in any switch so you don’t need a launch era model to get going. But it’s also going to completely kill the used market so who’s to say if it’s good or bad.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

There’s actually been some recent developments on this front

https://migswitch.com/#/product

Flash cart and dumper can be yours for a cool $125. This is actually really cool, will let you dump/backup any of your games completely. You can even have multiple games in the same flash cart and toggle through them and play them in any switch so you don’t need a launch era model to get going. But it’s also going to completely kill the used market so who’s to say if it’s good or bad.

this is stealing

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

This isn't the Switch Piracy thread.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Can't tell if it's a joke or serious concern but either way lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Switch emulation on deck sucks except for really basic games imho. Just get a switch

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

Despite what you narcs may believe, there are legitimate uses for dumping roms. No, I don’t care that it can be used for piracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

omg chael crash posted:

this is stealing

Go back to the destiny thread and stay there thanks