Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Just change OS settings to ignore power button presses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

get a bigger, scarier cat to guard it

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Worf posted:

get a bigger, scarier cat to guard it

We have a smaller scarier cat that practices hunting the larger cat.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Have a disagreement over who gets to get warm on the fish light.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Tigger snuck into my office last night before I went to bed, closing the door behind me as is standard practice. I always do a cat check and a pspsps to flush them out because they’re stupid gingers and would do something stupid like getting locked in my office for almost 15 hours before we realize they’re in there…

Yeah Tigger was not impressed when we realized he’d been locked in my office for 15 hours.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

madmatt112 posted:

Just change OS settings to ignore power button presses

Or put a board over the power button. You're not keeping the cat off a heated surface with a view

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Anderson Koopa posted:

Yes, the power button is on top. That is a good point. Anyone have any suggestions for how to keep kitty off of the computer? The previous owner of the house had an aquarium at one point, he cut a portion of the wall out and it was there. Lilac has adopted that as her private apartment within the house. She chills there, she eats there, and the water bowl is right there.
I might just be very lucky with my cats or something but whenever they go somewhere I don't want them to be, I just quietly say "no..." while calmly picking them up and putting them somewhere else and they seem to learn pretty quickly and stop going to the places where I don't want them

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
day two of not eating the fancy food i buy him because it isn't the bacon i gave him 3 days ago

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

I might just be very lucky with my cats or something but whenever they go somewhere I don't want them to be, I just quietly say "no..." while calmly picking them up and putting them somewhere else and they seem to learn pretty quickly and stop going to the places where I don't want them

Our kitties are very good kitties for the most part. They do get notions in their heads sometimes.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
Streaky knows when it's 10 pm, because that's when I give him a churu. Last night he was very disappointed that he had to remind me it was after 10. This morning he chomped on my foot through the covers for five minutes. Right now he's resting on my bed and waiting for his nightly treat.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Noon enthralled us all with her taxidermy at the dinner table.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Das Boo posted:

Noon enthralled us all with her taxidermy at the dinner table.

now thats a comfy lookin cat

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Anderson Koopa posted:

Yes, the power button is on top. That is a good point. Anyone have any suggestions for how to keep kitty off of the computer? The previous owner of the house had an aquarium at one point, he cut a portion of the wall out and it was there. Lilac has adopted that as her private apartment within the house. She chills there, she eats there, and the water bowl is right there.

Put something rigid (beer coaster or something) across the power button, taped down on one side so you can flip it up to access the button but kitty can’t push it off. Worked for me.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

cats are awesome

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

The Lone Badger posted:

Put something rigid (beer coaster or something) across the power button, taped down on one side so you can flip it up to access the button but kitty can’t push it off. Worked for me.
I had to route the power button through the front reset switch after the tux realized I made funny sounds when she pressed the top button while I was working

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

pencilhands posted:

cats are awesome

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

pencilhands posted:

cats are awesome

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i played a video of my neighbours cat yowling and it upset my cat, he had to go around the house and make sure the other cat wasn't inside and i had to give him treats to calm him back down

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
meow meow kitty meow meow meow

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Anderson Koopa posted:

Yes, the power button is on top. That is a good point. Anyone have any suggestions for how to keep kitty off of the computer?

A couple strips of tape, sticky side up. Just until cat learns that the top of the computer has an unpleasant texture. You may need to remove and reapply as and when they get manky with dust and cat hairs, but when she associates that surface with yucky sticky every time, she’ll stop going up there.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Speaking of cat deterrent, I finally got round to going and collecting some reasonably sized river rocks to replace the tinfoil I had over the bases of my large indoor plant pots. Tinfoil will definitely prevent your dumbass kitten digging and/or making GBS threads in your large indoor plants, but it isn’t very pretty. I got a sack full of cookie sized and shaped rocks from the local river on the weekend, too big for dingus to dig in but nice enough looking to please me. Much easier for plant watering, and for not having to explain to guests why my plants have tinfoil skirts.

The tinfoil did work tho!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

My cat will eat tinfoil, also he'll help unwrap anything in plastic by eating said plastic.

He's a black / chocolate maine coon he must have some orange in him.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Superfly chose violence today:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

future ghost posted:

I had to route the power button through the front reset switch after the tux realized I made funny sounds when she pressed the top button while I was working

:owned:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:hmmyes:

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My cat was playing with and chewing on the charging cable to my phone. I told her off. She then proceeded to attack and play with my arm.

The equivalent of “no, gently caress YOU, dad!” :mad: in cat language.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Nice try, but that's clearly a rabbit and a white bathmat in that photo

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Interrupted a meeting by jumping up onto my desk and ramming me in the face so hard she slipped back off again.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Yin and Yang

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

kaom posted:

Interrupted a meeting by jumping up onto my desk and ramming me in the face so hard she slipped back off again.

lol

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

kaom posted:

That rules. What did the other people say?

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

My cat jumps on camera sometimes but the teams filter is actually really good at making me look like I'm petting nothing.. completely removes the cat and I look insane

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Wendigee posted:

My cat jumps on camera sometimes but the teams filter is actually really good at making me look like I'm petting nothing.. completely removes the cat and I look insane

Or so you say, anyway.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Err teams shows me what is being shared so I've seen me petting a giant cat tail and it just looks like I'm doing some weird magic spell with my hands

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
found pills and ate them

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

Cocoa followed me into the bathroom and provided emotional support while I did my business.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Powerful Katrinka posted:

That rules. What did the other people say?

They were mostly just surprised which cat it was, our other one is the usual interruptor. :catstare:

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Vice has learned that he enjoys being a scarf. He hopped onto my shoulder and draped around my neck.

He then got restless, moved to my left shoulder, and put his front paws on my head so he could chew my hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

She completely ignores the fresh water I put out and instead demands that I turn on the faucet: