Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The actual catching mechanics are an improvement over the core mainline I'd say. There's more ways to react to a failed catch, and the rates are high enough that it doesn't take too long to get the mon even then.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'll be brave and say it: pokemon combat is Fun. The design decisions to streamline it in PLA just make fights annoying and slow while also simple enough that you're never really making decisions that matter so it feels even more slow than it already is.

It is. I think people think it has less depth than it actually has namely cause on the PVE side of things, there have been generally less opponents really pushing you nowadays compared to some of the older titles. Also no battle facilities to test your mettle. The battle system in PLA is... fine I guess, but it has like, 1 mission statement. Rocket tag your team into a red mist. And it doesn't have a lot of room for much interaction and a lot of its changes made mons homogenous. Most stats don't mean a drat aside from level and speed. It's pretty much just move typing and power that matter.

There's a reason PLA doesn't have a lot of trainer battles, and the game is very much aware of how thin the system is. If they're keeping PLA's battle system dear god I hope there's some serious overhauls especially if megas are back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It's a good thing that PLA's battle system is so different to the other main games. It contributes to the game feeling like a genuinely different thing to those games. It doesn't matter that it wouldn't be as suited to competitive PvP play as the usual system; it isn't intended to be. It's designed for a single-player experience. Playing within that system and exploring what you can do with it is fun regardless of whether it's as "deep" as the usual system. And it clearly doesn't threaten the place of the usual system in any way: they went straight back to it with SV, which is fine. I hope Legends Pizza (that's not happening but I'm gonna try anyway) either uses PLA's system, or does something else new and different to the usual system.

I really like PLA. and what ZMB and other posters describe as boring busywork, I find fun. If you don't find it fun, I can't convince you that actually it is fun. That isn't how fun works. This all just ends up like an argument about whether red or yellow is a better colour. there's no objectivity in determining which specific form of silly time-wasting in a game about collecting fictional animals is fun, it's all just yelling into the void that the other guy is Wrong to like yellow so much.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I want there to be checklists, but not necessarily stuff like "Catch 50 Pikachu's", but rather things like observing wild behaviors, feeding them to see what they like and all that stuff. Give us more ways to interact with Pokemon than just battle. I loved LA because it actually tried new gameplay ideas, so I hope they do that again.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Zuzie posted:

I'm wondering what the main goal of Legends Z-A even is. For Legends Arceus, you're given the task to "seek out all Pokemon" from Arceus itself and it so happens that the Galaxy Survey Corps is in Hisui because they want to do a survey of all the Pokemon that can be found in the region, mainly so that people and Pokemon can form partnerships with each other and not be so hostile towards each other.

So far the only clues we have is that its based on the redevelopment of Kalos City, but what would catching Pokemon have anything to do with city development?

EDIT: I imagine that the battle system for Legends is purposely designed to be a single player experience rather then focus on PvP, which is fine because games like Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet have that PvP element.

Single player games have good combat all the time. They didn't make it bad just because there's no multiplayer. Its because they made a game where the entire focus was just catching a lot to release and so thinned out the fights like GO did but didn't beef up exploration or story or anything else so everything is a thin soup of doing basically nothing.

It's different to be different like hammerite said but it turns out that's a dumb reason to change anything when you've got no other ideas behind it so you just make something bad.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 28, 2024

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

If people want a Pokemon game without the combat might I suggest Pokemon Snap, they're good games.

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Syenite posted:

I want there to be checklists, but not necessarily stuff like "Catch 50 Pikachu's", but rather things like observing wild behaviors, feeding them to see what they like and all that stuff. Give us more ways to interact with Pokemon than just battle. I loved LA because it actually tried new gameplay ideas, so I hope they do that again.

this would be good. put some snap in the game without making it be an on-rails thing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ride a mine cart through Terminus Cave and clear out all the zubats so we can resume mining

This happens every five minutes and development cannot continue until it is done

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

A Cup of Ramen posted:

If people want a Pokemon game without the combat might I suggest Pokemon Snap, they're good games.

It's true, New Snap is the best Pokemon game on the Switch. The second/first mainline one is Legends Arceus.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
it's good. it's just the on-rails nature doesn't quite do it for me, and to my autism brain capturing photos isn't the same as capturing in a ball so i don't get the same chemical hit.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
All I will say is the Wishiwashi level is awful because it triggers a Thalassophobia in me that I don't otherwise have from anything else.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Syenite posted:

Yeah something that was like Pokemon Snap but with actual freedom of movement would be great, especially in a Legends game since they were so focused on study vs. just catch and move on to the next trainer with 2 Caterpies. They clearly want this to be a thing since they included a camera app in S/V, they just forgot to add any behaviors to take pictures of.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

mikeycp posted:

there are a lot of ways i think they can go with it and i'm excited to see which one they pick

give me collecting and light city building stuff

anything besides battles

I have wanted a Pokemon-themed city/town builder forever, if that's actually where they go with it I will cry. The tiny bit we got in PLA with the farm makes me hopeful!

Also, thinking about it, Hoopa's one of Gen 6's mythicals, right? (I went to check if Magearna was but apparently that's gen 7). Seems like a pretty easy way to tie in time travel there. I hope we get some Volcanion content too, that guy was really underplayed for being the first Fire/Water type. Justice for Mythical p
Pokemon!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
even if they keep the rest of PLA's systems, I really hope abilities at least are back. Especially if we're getting Megas, tons of them are built around their abilities and lacking them would suuuuuck.

It also means there's a pretty significant chunk of Pokemon that can never be in a Legends game without being radically changed or gutted because their entire gimmick is destroyed. Sheninja, Wishiwashi, Aegislash, Morepeko, Slaking, Azumarrill, Medicham, Kecleon, Darmanitan, Archeops, Zoroark, Castform, Pyukumuku, Mimikyu, Eiscue, Cramorant, Palafin, Ogerpon etc.

Not to mention friggin Zygarde.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

mycelia posted:

I have wanted a Pokemon-themed city/town builder forever, if that's actually where they go with it I will cry. The tiny bit we got in PLA with the farm makes me hopeful!
That's a good point! They could really expand on the farm system, and the whole thing where you gave people pokemon for quests and the pokemon hung out in town after.

This was presumably in the works before Palworld, but getting to assign pokemon to different kinds of work to get different kinds of resources is a proven fun gameplay system.

Akumeoy
Aug 6, 2022

extremely large and incredibly huge

Zore posted:

even if they keep the rest of PLA's systems, I really hope abilities at least are back. Especially if we're getting Megas, tons of them are built around their abilities and lacking them would suuuuuck.

It also means there's a pretty significant chunk of Pokemon that can never be in a Legends game without being radically changed or gutted because their entire gimmick is destroyed. Sheninja, Wishiwashi, Aegislash, Morepeko, Slaking, Azumarrill, Medicham, Kecleon, Darmanitan, Archeops, Zoroark, Castform, Pyukumuku, Mimikyu, Eiscue, Cramorant, Palafin, Ogerpon etc.

Not to mention friggin Zygarde.

We did see Aegislash in the trailer, so I think at a bare minimum they'll retain the mon-specific gimmicks like how they did with Regigigas's Slow Start in LA.

On that note, I personally liked LA's approach to battling; it felt more fluid than standard battles, and it did a pretty good job of streamlining the experience to keep it from being a huge distraction from the main gameplay loop. I think even more than abilities, though, I missed held items -- even just a few basics like Leftovers, Berries, and Choice items would offer a ton of flexibility with each mon's role in a team.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Agree with Akumeoy, particularly as I continue to experience and experiment with the effects of held items. (I currently have an insane plan to run Trick Room Psyspam for next week’s Global Challenge using Iron Ball to ground and slow an airborne Pokémon)

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
re Venusaur, enjoying using Mew (Light Clay) (Skill Swap, Light Screen, Struggle Bug). My Mew is unfortunately geared for physical defense atm but still it gets by. Might swap in Leftovers. Skill Swap has to be used first turn, because shield will go up as soon as anyone faints. Mew outspeeds and puts up Light Screen turn 2.

People running offense are mostly using Chesnaught, occasionally Goodra. Special attackers are a waste of time, it has Amnesia in its moveset.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Hammerite posted:

re Venusaur, enjoying using Mew (Light Clay) (Skill Swap, Light Screen, Struggle Bug). My Mew is unfortunately geared for physical defense atm but still it gets by. Might swap in Leftovers. Skill Swap has to be used first turn, because shield will go up as soon as anyone faints. Mew outspeeds and puts up Light Screen turn 2.

People running offense are mostly using Chesnaught, occasionally Goodra. Special attackers are a waste of time, it has Amnesia in its moveset.

Leftover can be tough because it takes up a lot of time over the course of a raid. Might consider putting Life Dew in your fourth move slot.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Akumeoy posted:

On that note, I personally liked LA's approach to battling; it felt more fluid than standard battles, and it did a pretty good job of streamlining the experience to keep it from being a huge distraction from the main gameplay loop.

Pokemon Legends: Arceus had a simplified combat system that turned it into a game of rock-paper-scissors rocket tag that forced you to use type-advantages to win and an occasional signature move. ALSO: Multi-Enemy pokemon fights vs your solo 'mons mean you need to accept running and re-engaging in your arsenal. It becomes a habit to keep 2-3 pokemon with Type-Immunities for switch in potentials - IF you want to do big fightmons at all...

Thing is, PL:A's whole message (even with its choice to strip down pokécombat) was about learning not to want to sacrifice your friends just because some ignorant people in the past once called them monsters

ScarVio meanwhile is 100% back on the wagon of arguing that :)"the pokemon LOVE to fight each other, tho!!! press R to depopulate local fauna for greebles" :japan:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Lux Anima posted:

a game of rock-paper-scissors rocket tag that forced you to use type-advantages to win and an occasional signature move.

this is how i approach every battle in other mainline games though, so all that was really different for me when i was forced to fight was the ffx style turn order bar that i liked a lot

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gen 6 is the best because Pancham

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

battles are all that matter, I'll accept no opposing opinions.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mainline pokemon battling ftmfw. PLA battle system ftl.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Lux Anima posted:

Thing is, PL:A's whole message (even with its choice to strip down pokécombat) was about learning not to want to sacrifice your friends just because some ignorant people in the past once called them monsters

At least until you defeat God and he says "lol I was just trying to achieve Rosicrucian gnosis, you can never go home, welcome to the infinite battle revelry"

In which case I guess you really learn not to sacrifice because you'll never progress like that!!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

if there were a modern mainline game with good battles anywhere before the postgame, i could agree. alas!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

qnqnx posted:

battles are all that matter, I'll accept no opposing opinions.
/

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Catching in mass like in legends isn't cruel, it's necessary. Those monsters will murder any humans they get close to.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spacebump posted:

Catching in mass like in legends isn't cruel, it's necessary. Those monsters will murder any humans they get close to.

Which you then release. I’m sure they’ll be much nicer to humans after being caged in tiny balls

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Muscle Tracer posted:

if there were a modern mainline game with good battles anywhere before the postgame, i could agree. alas!

I'm sorry you struggle to get through the story mode of this game for kids, but I easily beat it then spend the other 90% of the time on save file having fun battling people.

Skill issues.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

Does anybody actually like the story mode battles, like they're not hard they're just boring

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

dracky posted:

Does anybody actually like the story mode battles, like they're not hard they're just boring

no they suck. all they go is make it more of a chore to fill out my dex

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dracky posted:

Some of the gym leaders in Emerald were pretty tough and I straight up had to mulligan on the Elite Four because I brought Flygon and Tropius when I needed Plusle and Walrein (tbf most of it was Hariyama with Belly Drum and Vital Throw when I realized just how good that was in 4/5 battles though)

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

dracky posted:

The BDSP elite 4 was pretty good.

dracky
Nov 8, 2010

The stuff they spent time on, the gym leaders/elite four/totem pokemon stuff where there's an interesting challenge built in, I still think are cool. The random battles and dozens of trainers with the same basic teams just make the main story a chore. I play a lot of rpg's so I'm used to random encounters and grinding but pokemon in particular just puts me right to sleep with that stuff for some reason

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

dracky posted:

I like 'em and was upset they all but removed them from SV, but given how poorly any trainer battle in that game ran, I kinda get why. I do enjoy the banter and thematic teams, even the 6 Magikarp Guy. The Switch games don't have much in that department, I'll give you that, but the 3DS ones were fun.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

For all its (many) faults, the BDSP gym/E4/Champion re/matches were a lot of fun

Literally only beat Cynthia at her strongest thanks to the power of friendship letting me tank Garchomp to land a final ice beam

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe
I liked the double battle trainers in the Terarium. A lot of them had actually interesting setups. It is a pity it was so easy to be overlevelled and therefore just steamroller them.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Honestly I enjoyed the Volo fight in PLA. My team was pretty under leveled so it was difficult.

Then I used H-Zoroark and Cress to beat Giratina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
magikarp guy needs dialogue in between splashes, IMHO