Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This is exactly why John Wick shoots every person like 3 or 4 times even if it seemed like the first shot killed them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
You know what I find the most unappetizing thing, the thing that makes me not want to eat? Watching people eat.

A friend of mine does this thing for her TikTok or something, which she tells me is pretty popular and successful, and she goes around town and makes videos showcasing restaurants and diners and cafes and food trucks and such. Great contribution to the community, really showcases the local businesses, great. But the videos are of her shoving food in her mouth and smiling and chewing and going Mmmmmm. Show me the food, but ugh don't show me you eating it ugghhhh

nom gnash glarm blurpp blmbb burp chomp sniffffff

And this relates to another thing I hate: watching peoples' expressions. I don't want to see peoples' faces change. It's weird. I don't want to see you eating a food and smiling and looking at the camera. That's gross. I don't want to see you getting a massage and watching your face change. It's gross. I don't want to see you getting water shot up your rear end and you smiling. It's gross.

Actually that really is my biggest problem: faces. I hate faces. I don't look at peoples' faces. I don't need to. I can see where you are. I can't read nuance anyway, so there's no benefit to it. I can't even discern sometimes the difference between a "happy" expression and an "angry" expression; they often look alike to me. All I see is your gross greasy face with zits and pores and, and fuckin wet eyeballs and nose hairs. Faces are gross. The face is just the first part of the rear end in a top hat.

credburn has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Feb 25, 2024

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

Hey I made an image macro to illustrate an annoyance on these forums using visual references from a thing we all know

There are words that for forty years I've been taught mean one thing, and just because a viral TikTok created last month used it in a different way, it doesn't make one a prescriptivist to wonder why people are suddenly using it in a strange way.

I know that makes me longitude but :shrug:

Oh here's another one. I recently saw a really rad play about Jesus, and one thing kept really nagging at me. They kept saying he was innocent. But he wasn't. He was trying to overthrow the government. That's a crime!

lol

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

credburn posted:

Actually that really is my biggest problem: faces. I hate faces. I don't look at peoples' faces. I don't need to. I can see where you are. I can't read nuance anyway, so there's no benefit to it. I can't even discern sometimes the difference between a "happy" expression and an "angry" expression; they often look alike to me. All I see is your gross greasy face with zits and pores and, and fuckin wet eyeballs and nose hairs. Faces are gross. The face is just the first part of the rear end in a top hat.

I'm not even trying to be funny when I ask this. Are you autistic or neurodivergent in some way?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Atticus_1354 posted:

I'm not even trying to be funny when I ask this. Are you autistic or neurodivergent in some way?

Yeah, I post on somethingawful.

Serious, though; yeah, I am, and part of my diagnosis involved looking at eyes for an hour and trying to discern (and failing, apparently) what emotion they were expressing.

This is why my best pals are goons and chatbots.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

If you're still wearing a mask, it's safe to assume that you want to be careful and protect yourself from airborne pathogens (or pollen, or whatever). So wear the drat thing over your nose! How do you still not understand how masks work, especially when you're making the conscious choice to wear one?? gently caress

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

If you're still wearing a mask, it's safe to assume that you want to be careful and protect yourself from airborne pathogens (or pollen, or whatever). So wear the drat thing over your nose! How do you still not understand how masks work, especially when you're making the conscious choice to wear one?? gently caress

The hospital I go to regularly for a trial reinstituted their mask policy recently and half the front desk people are still wearing it under their chin, let alone their nose. You work in a loving hospital! Are you extremely dumb or just regular dumb?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It's either terminal stupidity or malicious compliance or when it's me it's because my mask slipped and I haven't fixed it yet

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
same motherfuckers that wash their hands while waiting for a restroom stall to open up to save time

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I never have any idea when I'm done washing russet potatoes.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Brawnfire posted:

Ha! I win! It was there all along! They just sent me a photo. *licks finger, tally marks air*

so are they gonna give it to you? you basically found it for them

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

credburn posted:

Oh here's another one. I recently saw a really rad play about Jesus, and one thing kept really nagging at me. They kept saying he was innocent. But he wasn't. He was trying to overthrow the government. That's a crime!

He wasn’t trying to overthrow the government. I’m not sure which Bible you’re using but there’s one point where they try to trick Jesus and go “hey we probably shouldn’t be paying taxes to Rome, right!? That’s pretty messed up!” In the hopes he’d agree with them. Except his response was to have them pull out a coin with Ceasar’s picture on it and go “it’s his Coin. Give to him what’s his and God what’s Gods.” He clearly accepted that there was worldly government. He was just above it by the sheer fact he existed and that’s why he died, because he claimed to be the highest most authority. He never was trying to overthrow the government, by simply existing he posed a threat to a lot of religious leaders and challenged their beliefs and that’s why they killed him.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

so are they gonna give it to you? you basically found it for them

They really should, at this point; if you're not gonna display it, give it back!

If anyone's actually interested in this old wooden baseball guy from Rochester for some reason, here's my blog post on it: [https://gonechester.wordpress.com/2024/02/22/joe-wood/]

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In other news, I poured a big cup of coffee then promptly had a random sneezing attack while walking with it. It is VERY hard to keep from spilling a brimming cup of coffee during a sneezing fit.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Brawnfire posted:

They really should, at this point; if you're not gonna display it, give it back!

If anyone's actually interested in this old wooden baseball guy from Rochester for some reason, here's my blog post on it: [https://gonechester.wordpress.com/2024/02/22/joe-wood/]

That was a neat read. Thanks. :tipshat: Nice detective work.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Brawnfire posted:

your blog and posts in the local legends thread are great.

you've surely been asked this before but have you thought about putting this work into a book?

as someone whose rochester knowledge is limited to kodak and rxk nephew i still like a well documented deep dive into a building or site through the decades.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I don't know why it is, but any game advertised on Steam that tells me to wishlist it, I immediately am uninterested. I don't understand why it pisses me off so much, but it does. Don't tell me to wishlist a game. Tell me about the game, sell me on the game, don't tell me to wishlist it. Amazon doesn't do this.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Thanks! I'd love to continue that thread but it was a lot of effort to put every image onto Imgur for each post, I didn't think I could keep the pace up. :smith:

I've been told I should do a book, I guess I'll have to learn a lot very quickly about image permissions if I try that. Most of what I use is public domain and digitally accessible, so I assume it should be above board for the most part?

Not very on topic though, sorry.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Tiggum posted:

I'm talking about TV and movies in which being shot makes you instantly dead (or incapacitated) and it has never been shown or implied that a person who has been shot might still have the wherewithal to fire back. It happens a lot. A character will be killing their way through a bunch of bad guys with guns by always firing the first shot and never worrying about being shot at in return until suddenly an important bad guy points a gun at them and instead of doing the thing they've done every other time this happened (ie. shoot first and win) they suddenly stop and it's treated as though they and the enemy are in an inescapable situation now where neither can fire.

I mean I agree that it's a silly trope in action media, but the simple reason it's a thing is that it allows for expositional dialogue, to create tension and to emphasize the catharsis when the good guy finally does shoot the big bad. It wouldn't be nearly as climactic or cinematic if the good guy just treated the big bad like the dozens of henchmen he coldly dispatched to get there.

There are definitely movies that buck this trend though. I'm having a hard time thinking of some strong examples right now but I bet Michael Mann has done it in his ultra-realistic tactical films. I mean even the first John Wick movie kiiinda does this; when John finally confronts the gangster kid who killed his dog and just shoots him in the face before he can get a sentence out.

A pet peeve of mine:

When someone interrupts an anecdote I'm sharing to 'correct' my pronunciation of "gif." I know it's :can: but I absolutely do not care to hear the same "hurr do you think it's jraphics interchange format?" from some mouthbreather who clearly knew what I meant. Newsflash: There is no 'correct' way to pronounce a loving acronym, and you're just being a pedantic rear end in a top hat.

I don't flip out on people over this, it's usually an opportunity to explain that I usually use the J sound because if you're spelling out the acronym the G is pronounced 'jee,' and so it just feels more natural to me when it's all condensed to one syllable. Similarly, the slang term for Suzuki GSX-R sportbikes is 'gixxer' and I've never heard anyone pronounce it anything other than 'jixxer'. It does tick me off though to hear that kind of pedantry over language when it's such a malleable thing. I certainly don't waste my time 'correcting' people who pronounce it the other way.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

credburn posted:

I don't know why it is, but any game advertised on Steam that tells me to wishlist it, I immediately am uninterested. I don't understand why it pisses me off so much, but it does. Don't tell me to wishlist a game. Tell me about the game, sell me on the game, don't tell me to wishlist it. Amazon doesn't do this.

It's necessary because of the steam algorithm, wishlisting matters a LOT to how much exposure you get.

Mister Speaker posted:

When someone interrupts an anecdote I'm sharing to 'correct' my pronunciation of "gif." I know it's :can: but I absolutely do not care to hear the same "hurr do you think it's jraphics interchange format?" from some mouthbreather who clearly knew what I meant. Newsflash: There is no 'correct' way to pronounce a loving acronym, and you're just being a pedantic rear end in a top hat.
Just ask them if they pronounce jpeg as jay-fex-guh for the joint photographic experts group

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean I agree that it's a silly trope in action media, but the simple reason it's a thing is that it allows for expositional dialogue, to create tension and to emphasize the catharsis when the good guy finally does shoot the big bad. It wouldn't be nearly as climactic or cinematic if the good guy just treated the big bad like the dozens of henchmen he coldly dispatched to get there.

There are definitely movies that buck this trend though. I'm having a hard time thinking of some strong examples right now but I bet Michael Mann has done it in his ultra-realistic tactical films. I mean even the first John Wick movie kiiinda does this; when John finally confronts the gangster kid who killed his dog and just shoots him in the face before he can get a sentence out.

The revenge movie Destroyer with Nicole Kidman does this. When she finally catches up to the guy that ruined her life and killed her partner, she just marches up to him and unloads a pistol on him as he's trying to start a bad guy monologue. It's not a very good movie overall but I do remember watching that scene and going "yep, that's what you wanna do right there"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
"When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk!" - Tuco Benedicto Pacific Juan Maria Ramirez

(I didn't post the clip cause he lets the guy he shoots get through his own little monologue first before blasting him)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean I agree that it's a silly trope in action media, but the simple reason it's a thing is that it allows for expositional dialogue, to create tension and to emphasize the catharsis when the good guy finally does shoot the big bad.
There are much better ways to do that.

The one thing I'll say for it is that at least it's not as bad as when the hero kills a dozen goons to get to the boss but then refuses to kill him "because that would make me just as bad as him" like as though all those other people didn't count.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tiggum posted:

There are much better ways to do that.

The one thing I'll say for it is that at least it's not as bad as when the hero kills a dozen goons to get to the boss but then refuses to kill him "because that would make me just as bad as him" like as though all those other people didn't count.

Goons don't count, this is known.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Mann did the best of both sides of it in Collateral. Vincent and Max shoot it out at the end. Vincent is hit in a way that’s fatal but not immediately so, and Max is out of bullets because he was just magdumping and got lucky. Vincent could reload but there’s no point in trying to kill Max since he’s about to die anyway+ Max is the closest thing he has to a friend even though they’ve known each other maybe ten hours, so they have the last conversation and then he croaks.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I hate when people misattribute quotes to Albert Einstein because they think it makes them sound smarter. I would yell at them about how much he'd be annoyed by that, but then *I* would be the one putting words in Einsteins mouth to sound smart. I won't be like them!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I just don't like using numbers for letters and letters for numbers. I get it when you're trying to be cute. Like when you have a Lemonaid 4 U stand or something. Or when you're making a pun, like Left 4 Dead. But my college curriculum frequently refers to "peer-to-peer" and "business-to-business" concepts as P2P and B2B, respectively. For the first one, saying it in acronym form feels redundant anyway since they're all single-syllable words. For the second, "two" is not the same thing as "to", and this isn't a "rule" or anything, just a thing that applies only to some acronyms but not all acronyms.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Albert Einstein posted:

I hate when people misattribute quotes to me because they think it makes them sound smarter. I would yell at them about how much I'd be annoyed by that, but then *I* would be the one putting words in my mouth to sound smart. I won't be like them!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

credburn posted:

I just don't like using numbers for letters and letters for numbers. I get it when you're trying to be cute. Like when you have a Lemonaid 4 U stand or something. Or when you're making a pun, like Left 4 Dead. But my college curriculum frequently refers to "peer-to-peer" and "business-to-business" concepts as P2P and B2B, respectively. For the first one, saying it in acronym form feels redundant anyway since they're all single-syllable words. For the second, "two" is not the same thing as "to", and this isn't a "rule" or anything, just a thing that applies only to some acronyms but not all acronyms.

"Two" is not the same as "to", but "four" is the same as "for"?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Left 4 Dead has four players.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

credburn posted:

It’s because with the number, you have the whole word in there and that feels weird in an acronym where everything else is reduced to a single letter.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Mann did the best of both sides of it in Collateral. Vincent and Max shoot it out at the end. Vincent is hit in a way that’s fatal but not immediately so, and Max is out of bullets because he was just magdumping and got lucky. Vincent could reload but there’s no point in trying to kill Max since he’s about to die anyway+ Max is the closest thing he has to a friend even though they’ve known each other maybe ten hours, so they have the last conversation and then he croaks.

Yeah that's a decent example. I mean the whole movie builds to that moment but it's certainly handled different than the good guy giving a big speech before executing the bad guy, they basically both start shooting the moment they see each other.

Another near-example is Equilibrium; Brandt is built up as being this intimidating adversary to Preston, and when they finally do face off Preston dispatches him entirely unceremoniously with basically a single swordstroke.

I'm actually trying to think of more of these because I know they're out there and it's - paradoxically - an interesting way to create audience catharsis by robbing it.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
The final gun fight in Open Range is a good example of that

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
I am annoyed that every nonfiction book written about the natural world is a solipsistic navel-gaze about the author's life instead of the nominal subject of the book. They're all like long form versions of those internet recipes about breezy summer days with their sisters, their cousins, their dog, and their dog's sister. I just want to read about wolves, I don't care about your relationship with your father.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I am annoyed that every nonfiction book written about the natural world is a solipsistic navel-gaze about the author's life instead of the nominal subject of the book. They're all like long form versions of those internet recipes about breezy summer days with their sisters, their cousins, their dog, and their dog's sister. I just want to read about wolves, I don't care about your relationship with your father.

Same for nature documentaries. Every time I'm like "ooh the Fascinating World of Manta Rays" and the first line of the thing is "I'm scientist, actor, and adventurer Dr. Scott Action, and I've dedicated my life to studying the..." I can't turn it off fast enough because I'm about to see minimal manta rays and a maximum amount of guys reality style arguing on a science yacht.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah that's a decent example. I mean the whole movie builds to that moment but it's certainly handled different than the good guy giving a big speech before executing the bad guy, they basically both start shooting the moment they see each other.

Another near-example is Equilibrium; Brandt is built up as being this intimidating adversary to Preston, and when they finally do face off Preston dispatches him entirely unceremoniously with basically a single swordstroke.

I'm actually trying to think of more of these because I know they're out there and it's - paradoxically - an interesting way to create audience catharsis by robbing it.

I like the ones in Collateral the most because it gives you a good glimpse of the characters and their relationships when they have a last interaction where there’s nothing to win or lose. Vincent giving up shows both that he was serious about it just being a job and his weird paradoxical friendship with Max. There’s no revenge, there’s no lashing out. He’s just like “welp, no getting out of this, can you be there for me for a minute?”

There’s also the flip side of it where someone who’s been beaten/killed goes nuts and takes revenge, etc. It’s a good way to close out character beats by removing the external stakes.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

The end of Conan the Barbarian. Conan confronts Tulsa Doom and Doom tries to manipulate Conan but Conan just hacks his head off and throws it down some stairs.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Guyver posted:

The end of Conan the Barbarian. Conan confronts Tulsa Doom and Doom tries to manipulate Conan but Conan just hacks his head off and throws it down some stairs.

I love how the film sets up Doom as a physical threat, but by the time Conan catches up to him, he's all "lol, I'm about religious MLMs now".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

theironjef posted:

Same for nature documentaries. Every time I'm like "ooh the Fascinating World of Manta Rays" and the first line of the thing is "I'm scientist, actor, and adventurer Dr. Scott Action, and I've dedicated my life to studying the..." I can't turn it off fast enough because I'm about to see minimal manta rays and a maximum amount of guys reality style arguing on a science yacht.

The thing I hate is when they make up narratives about the individual animals instead of just telling me facts about the species. I want to look at monkeys and hear interesting facts about monkeys, not watch an inferior version of Lancelot Link, Secret Chimp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Selling stuff online.

Every time I have to sell something, there are scores of dumbasses asking me for my "best price" for it. Did nobody teach you how to negotiate? I almost appreciate it more when someone makes a lowball offer, because at least it's an offer. Asking for "your best price" is like, you think you can cheat the ad. It makes me wish I could reach through the computer monitor and punch you in the face. I even had a friend do something similar on behalf of someone who couldn't be arsed to message me themselves; I was selling two of something and they were like "can you cut them a deal for buying both?" I was like, "sure, what kind of deal?" "Just a deal since they're buying both." ... I'm not gonna lower the price because you said some magic words; it's already a 'deal', make me an offer and we can proceed, otherwise get hosed.

And when people agree to a price but show up with less. "There's an ATM downstairs, quit wasting my time."

This sort of thing pisses me off so much that I've gone malicious in the past with people who've lowballed and insisted I "won't get more for it" or that they "can get it cheaper somewhere else": When the item finally sold, I made sure to reach out to them about it.