Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Omg sorry to double post but this is huge!

https://twitter.com/kinekovideo/status/1762681877130011025?t=pW20bt3JxcqAcSi5nXyCRw&s=19

We finally have a good rip and restoration of Sweet Home! The only way to watch this previously was extremely rough quality with baked-in subtitles. Very cool movie, notable for inspiring the video game that would create the survival horror genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wanna see the thru line that goes from that movie to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CelticPredator posted:

Wanna see the thru line that goes from that movie to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J58VPpPrmQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMK_aqxhMg

To be fair this scene isn't THAT far off the game scene that inspired it heh.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

https://twitter.com/kinekovideo/status/1762681877130011025?t=pW20bt3JxcqAcSi5nXyCRw&s=19

We finally have a good rip and restoration of Sweet Home! The only way to watch this previously was extremely rough quality with baked-in subtitles. Very cool movie, notable for inspiring the video game that would create the survival horror genre.

This owns and skimming through it the restoration looks great especially compared to the VHS rip I watched this on last year. I hope this gets more people to watch it, it's a very cool haunted house story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Medullah posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzMK_aqxhMg

To be fair this scene isn't THAT far off the game scene that inspired it heh.

I’m just trying the say resident evil at some point got stupid as hell lol

I’ve only played a little bit of the first and second and 4th on my iPhone in high school.

But I seen all those godawful movies. I hate them.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

CelticPredator posted:

I’m just trying the say resident evil at some point got stupid as hell lol

I’ve only played a little bit of the first and second and 4th on my iPhone in high school.

But I seen all those godawful movies. I hate them.

Yeah I dropped off from RE games at 4, tried 5 and hated it and 6 just looked terrible so I was done with the franchise.

Then one night a friend noticed I had RE7 (got it cheap or free at some point) and I'd never played it, so we decided to pop it in and boom, I'm back to being a fan of the series. RE7 dropped most of the goofiness and went back to the horror roots.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm a huge RE fan so Sweet Home's been kind of like a holy grail for me, excited to check that out finally!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah I dropped off from RE games at 4, tried 5 and hated it and 6 just looked terrible so I was done with the franchise.

Then one night a friend noticed I had RE7 (got it cheap or free at some point) and I'd never played it, so we decided to pop it in and boom, I'm back to being a fan of the series. RE7 dropped most of the goofiness and went back to the horror roots.

7 was so good and intense to play. It def gets into some of the old goofy RE tropes towards the end but creeping around that house in the first chunk was a ton of fun and terrifying.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I loved RE8. Great story, great set of antagonists, fantastic boss fights. I still need to play the DLC though.

Also, just because it got lost on the last page which was entirely my fault, if you're interested in CRT experiments and making your own TV channel, I did eventually get around to making a real thread about it all:

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Here you go! The directions may be about wrestling but they can be used as a guide to making your own magic TV box. And it's amazing for horror, as expected.

EDIT: I'm especially fond of how black-and-white shows look.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Where does Alone in the Dark fit into all this? It came out in 1992, so after the Sweet Home video game, but still several years before Resident Evil. I mean obviously Sweet Home and Resident Evil were both Capcom games so I understand the direct connection there, but I do wonder how much Alone in the Dark may have also been an inspiration. Especially considering that the Sweet Home game was a top down view and Alone in the Dark was a 3D game along the lines of what RE was visually.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Hell yes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Here you go! The directions may be about wrestling but they can be used as a guide to making your own magic TV box. And it's amazing for horror, as expected.

Two fantastic posts back to back Erin

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

Phantasm remake but instead of spheres he throws minidiscs

They do that in I Come In Peace

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kymDzCgPwj0

I had to do a double take when I saw "With Fred Durst" in the credits at the end lmao

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Basebf555 posted:

Where does Alone in the Dark fit into all this? It came out in 1992, so after the Sweet Home video game, but still several years before Resident Evil. I mean obviously Sweet Home and Resident Evil were both Capcom games so I understand the direct connection there, but I do wonder how much Alone in the Dark may have also been an inspiration. Especially considering that the Sweet Home game was a top down view and Alone in the Dark was a 3D game along the lines of what RE was visually.

A lot of the mechanical game elements of Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil are identical. I don't know how much of it was direct inspiration and how much was just re-using old aspects, but original Alone in the Dark has basically the same core gameplay as early Resident Evil. Fixed camera, awkward controls, ineffectively shooting undead monsters, semi-obtuse puzzles.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Zwabu posted:

I'm watching Cemetery Man on Shudder. I have no idea what's going on but it's pretty awesome and looks great. Like a lot of good Italian horror movies it seems pretty much vibes based anyway so it's fine I guess.

I also watched this on Shudder and it was great.

The part where Dellamore describes Her as "The most beautiful woman in the world" was my own miniature horror movie. My wife immediately turned to look at me and I had to simultaneously pretend I didn't notice this, while also giving no sign that I knew he was objectively correct.

I am still alive to post, so I clearly succeeded at this IRL QTE.

Medullah posted:

Phantasm remake but instead of spheres he throws minidiscs

This is just Hellraiser 3.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cemetery Man for real one of the greatest Italian horror films of all time. Maybe the best ever not by the holy trinity of Argento, Bava, or Fulci? And coming out in 1994 kind of feels like the last masterpiece of Italian horror's golden era.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Soavi deserves to be counted among the greats

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I would definitely watch a weekly series about the adventures of Dellamore and his imbecile graveyard buddy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I definitely put Soavi above anyone other than the big three, and a lot of these discussions involve a "Mount Rushmore", which means you do have to choose a 4th.

Some people like to throw Sergio Martino in the mix and for me Soavi is head and shoulders above him. I guess the reason he usually loses out to guys like that is that he hasn't been as prolific.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Been a big fan for many years but didn't know until recently that's an adaptation of DYLAN DOG as well as the titular novel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I definitely put Soavi above anyone other than the big three, and a lot of these discussions involve a "Mount Rushmore", which means you do have to choose a 4th.

Some people like to throw Sergio Martino in the mix and for me Soavi is head and shoulders above him. I guess the reason he usually loses out to guys like that is that he hasn't been as prolific.

Soavi had an incredible 4 film run (Stagefright, The Church, The Sect, Dellamorte Dellamore). He stepped away from theatrical filmmaking for good reasons though.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Zwabu posted:

I would definitely watch a weekly series about the adventures of Dellamore and his imbecile graveyard buddy.

If you liked Gnaghi, don't forget to check out the actor's cool, weird music.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

He stepped away from theatrical filmmaking for good reasons though.

What's that? Not familiar.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wikipedia says he had a son who was sick so he stepped away to take care of him.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Anybody else get the real spooky movie itch when Spring starts to set in?

It's the perfect time to watch all the good road trip movies and out in the woods horror. Tourist Trap is a favorite around this time.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Hrmm maybe I should track down The Sect, I don't think i've ever seen that.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Xiahou Dun posted:

A lot of the mechanical game elements of Alone in the Dark and Resident Evil are identical. I don't know how much of it was direct inspiration and how much was just re-using old aspects, but original Alone in the Dark has basically the same core gameplay as early Resident Evil. Fixed camera, awkward controls, ineffectively shooting undead monsters, semi-obtuse puzzles.

What I remember most about Alone in the Dark was it was actually kind of an obscure series that got re-discovered after Resident Evil became popular (mostly because it shared a lot of the RE mechanics like you mentioned). There was an attempt to turn it into a big horror series in it's own right with The New Nightmare but (hilariously enough) it just felt like a RE knock-off.

I don't want to talk about the 2008 game, it feels like nobody play-tested it and I mean that literally.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Justin Godscock posted:

What I remember most about Alone in the Dark was it was actually kind of an obscure series that got re-discovered after Resident Evil became popular (mostly because it shared a lot of the RE mechanics like you mentioned). There was an attempt to turn it into a big horror series in it's own right with The New Nightmare but (hilariously enough) it just felt like a RE knock-off.

I don't want to talk about the 2008 game, it feels like nobody play-tested it and I mean that literally.

Now much more famous youtuber hbomberguy had an LP of the 2008 game that I actually really liked. Right here on SA.

Sadly he scrubbed all that stuff from the internet because it wasn’t as polished as his modern stuff. But, don’t worry, his update schedule has been about the same consistently.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

finally

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the games I remember from the late 80s was Hugo's House of Horrors but I guess that one is more of a text-based game. I also played Alone in the Dark in 92 though.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

i do not have the tech knowledge/handiness to build this but Lord i would spend every penny i have to buy one of these that streamed old ECW/Nitro/Raw/territories stuff

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Hollismason posted:

Hrmm maybe I should track down The Sect, I don't think i've ever seen that.

It's fairly hard to find, at least last time I went looking for it. For the longest while it was only available on VHS, but I believe there's been a DVD release that's likely out of print. I do remember it being pretty good.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

M_Sinistrari posted:

It's fairly hard to find, at least last time I went looking for it. For the longest while it was only available on VHS, but I believe there's been a DVD release that's likely out of print. I do remember it being pretty good.

It's getting a UHD release in April along with The Church.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It's on shudder right now

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

The uhds are out, well the severin special editions at least, they came out with dellamorte Dellamore

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched The Church randomly on Tubi like 2 years ago and man, that is a crazy and fun movie. Very much in the same vein of Demons; wild stuff just happening, plot's not really important, just sit back and soak it in.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I refuse to call it Cemetary Man. Dellamorte Dellamore is already a perfect title. :colbert:

Basebf555 posted:

the three Soavi UHDs have been out for a bit, I got all of mine and watched them last month (unless I got them early for preordering or something). All three rules, The Sect is the weakest but it's totally bonkers and still worthwhile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think these upcoming UHDs are standard editions instead of the 2-disc editions? They have their own entry on the bluray.com release calendar and the cover looks different.