Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Guavanaut posted:

Water wet, grass green, private enterprise most efficient method of allocating money to pockets.

Instead of fining and renationalising our massively indebted privately run essential service, what if you let us raise prices 40% so we can pay dividends to shareholders? :thanks:

Thames Water has been lobbying the government and regulators to let it increase bills by 40%, pay lower fines for breaches and keep paying out dividends as part of efforts to avert a taxpayer bailout, according to a report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pretty sure a 40% increase in my water bills is still actually 'a taxpayer bailout', there.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If there's one thing that's an issue with water management in this country it has to be that the fines for polluting the environment are too high.

That is a sentence that makes perfect sense. To someone.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
J. S. Mill, 1848: Natural monopolies, such as water basins, when privately owned, will always lead to price gouging.
V. I. Lenin, 1917: Large industries, such as mines and construction, when privately owned, will always form cartels and attempt to influence state policy.
Media Brainlets, 2024: Wow, who could have seen this coming?

Speaking of media brainlets, they all just keep doubling down holy poo poo lol
https://twitter.com/SpillerOfTea/status/1762861378476388582

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think you need the number for that and the daughters don't even have that. The daughters are now old ladies (as in older than me) so it was pushing it to get any info at all!
I think I finally got the bank to listen to sense though.

I can't tell you how many tussles I've had with organisations wanting to speak to dead people.
BT refuse point blank to put the bill for the emergency phone in our communal lift into the name of the flats instead of late dead treasurer because 'it's on a domestic contract but it really should have been a commercial contract' - yes but it was taken out years ago & I have no idea why they did it that way but you're sending it to a dead person who no longer lives at that address. I'm dreading trying to end the contract when they turn off the traditional lines and we put a VOIP in with a special SIM card that will apparently work from an enclosed lift during a powercut... (can see it now :rolly eyeballs: we have put a fold up chair, blanket and wind up torch in the lift just in case!)
Ovo Energy issued a refund of £00s to the executor of one flat last year but since then have been pursuing more and more nasty letters about 'hands of collection agencies' for less than £20 when the executor now lives abroad, does not give a poo poo and has deleted her email address so is uncontactable.

I did get so angry with one set of people one time after several 'return to senders' I put new address '{town} Cemetery' and when others who have been told repeatedly the person is dead say they can only deal with the account if they can speak to dead person tell them to get a ouija board.

Ah, in the Scottish one you can just search by other information like name, year of death, town etc.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/shockproofbeats/status/1762857353462915245?t=tguT1JKJBftgYdr7nIMlcQ&s=19

I'm so glad that AI has empowered people to reach ever greater levels of horseshit.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
wonkaland is a gift that keeps on giving
https://twitter.com/tomgara/status/1762871070661472596

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I can't wait for the 3 hour Youtube video essay on this

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, from the parents perspective losing £40 quid for nothing is going to be a kick in the teeth, especially with the current cost of living crisis, and from the actors perspective having a scammy oval office commit wage theft is going to be poo poo, but from the child's perspective just going out and seeing something new is going to be a day out.

I remember most of the circuses and county fairs as a child promising amazing excitement and mostly being sad elephants and annoying clowns, the main difference is that the price was a quid.
lol I dunno, I don’t think the kids will be traumatised (except maybe if they were there when things got feral) but they’ll be very aware it’s shite and that they could have been at home playing videogames instead

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Rarity posted:

I can't wait for the 10-episode Netflix documentary series on this

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kids are just as capable of being underwhelmed and disappointed as anybody, no kid old enough to be able to remember going to this event would have been thrilled about what they saw.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Good comedian pretending to be the tour good instagram reel:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C342MXtsLCP/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It sounds like the eventscam organizerartist was trying to conveyor the kids through as fast as possible anyway, so more like "disappointing Tesco Santa's Grotto with a long queue" than "disappointing hours long county fair wandering around" which is what really matters to kids.

Maybe with everything being as soaked in irony as it is, it'll become a tradition like the haunted houses in America. :effort: house.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This truly was Scotland's own Fyre Festival.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Glasgae's Kintyre Festival

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thank you, I knew there was a pun in there somewhere but really didn't have it in me to find it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Ah, in the Scottish one you can just search by other information like name, year of death, town etc.

OK I take it back, I found out how to do it on the register!

(And now I've wasted 15 minutes looking up various relatives!)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Feb 28, 2024

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Rarity posted:

I can't wait for the Behind the Bastards on the guy behind this

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He definitely deserves one if the fake foodbank/medical hub poo poo is true.

Also a criminal record.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Can you get sued for calling something willy wonka?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

His name was Willy McDuff! Please ignore everything else.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Guavanaut posted:

Holy poo poo, goon project.

poo poo warehouse in Essex. Captain Tom Experience. £90 per adult.

I'll bring a couple of potted plants for the Burma part.

nah just hand them a zimmer frame and tell them to get started on their laps

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

The Captain Tom Experience should have a "Barbados Holiday" ride right at the end: one of those 50p shopping precinct plastic airplanes that wobbles about a bit for 2 minutes. During the ride one of the attendants repeatedly coughs in your face

WaffleACAB
Oct 31, 2010
The Wonka experience reminds me of this classic Grinch experience post (cracks me up every time I see it). Seems like the Wonka guy could have used some of the Grinch guy's dedication

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear

His Divine Shadow posted:

Don't you ever question Mrs. Norman again

nooooooo i'm being surpassed by my own creation

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
except my creation is a domineering, shouty old bag assembled from some of the worst human behaviour and thinking i've observed in my time

not a murderous cyber genius created from a strapping gardener with learning diffulties by pierce brosnan, using early 1990s virtual reality

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I was this years old when I discovered that 'Suella Braverman' is an anagram of 'Smaller Eva Braun'

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

i appreciate the thespian spirit of these two trying to make this absolute insanity work. the show must go on!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

fuctifino posted:

I was this years old when I discovered that 'Suella Braverman' is an anagram of 'Smaller Eva Braun'

You haven't posted a tweet... You ok? How goes the battle with dickhead brother and son?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

bit early on a Wednesday to be getting booze lairy njan99

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I thought that was friendly?

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
i don't have the same kneejerk shut the gently caress up response to you as everyone else but it did read a tad pass-agg

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Captain Tom speaks out on Wonkagate

https://x.com/chai_ste/status/1762932609674269130?s=46

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Nuclear Spoon posted:

i don't have the same kneejerk shut the gently caress up response to you as everyone else but it did read a tad pass-agg

OK soz. Obviously it was intended to be a bit cheeky.

But yeah I'd like to hold off on being lairy for another couple of hours ideally.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

WaffleACAB posted:

The Wonka experience reminds me of this classic Grinch experience post (cracks me up every time I see it). Seems like the Wonka guy could have used some of the Grinch guy's dedication

Ah they’ve blurred the best part, the kid’s face covered in crap but absolutely beaming from ear to ear

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah, from the parents perspective losing £40 quid for nothing is going to be a kick in the teeth, especially with the current cost of living crisis, and from the actors perspective having a scammy oval office commit wage theft is going to be poo poo, but from the child's perspective just going out and seeing something new is going to be a day out.

I remember most of the circuses and county fairs as a child promising amazing excitement and mostly being sad elephants and annoying clowns, the main difference is that the price was a quid.

Yeah, I grew up in a house where it was made very clear to me if something I got or went to was a "waste of money".

It didn't exactly make me feel good about wanting to do or get excited for things incase it turned out to be a "waste".

I'm talking no birthday cakes, no fireworks or bonfire nights, levels of "waste" because neither of my parents were a kid so didn't see value in taking part in any of that.

Hell, one of my most vivid childhood memories was from when I was 11. I'd saved up pocket money for months to buy Sonic 3, but I finished it in just a few hours after getting it home. I really liked that game but was terrified of what my parents would say and hid it from them by pretending to play it for the next few weeks so I wouldn't get into trouble.

Never let your kids hear you say that something they did or wanted was a loving waste.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

NotJustANumber99 posted:

OK soz. Obviously it was intended to be a bit cheeky.

But yeah I'd like to hold off on being lairy for another couple of hours ideally.

I thought it was fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I thought that was friendly?
I read it as friendly, but also a bit potentially drunken-leary. Either way, I didn't take offence.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

How goes the battle with dickhead brother and son?
I've kind of stepped sideways with it all. After my brother mocked me by telling me to gently caress off and saying "There's nothing you can do!", I proved that there was something I could do. I got the locks changed, got them locked out, cost them a lot of money in probate expenses that they'll have to eat and paused the entire probate process.

I demanded with the solicitor that everything be professionally valued - which happened, and the total contents are only worth an estimated ~£2500 at auction. My parents apparently liked cheap shite that looked expensive and had bad taste. It cost more than the contents worth to get everything valued. I don't actually want any of it bar a few worthless sentimental bits, so most of it will simply go to auction/landfill. I did start to get super-petty by demanding things like 1/3rd of a dinner service that my nephew wanted, but it just didn't sit right, so I changed my mind after a few days.

I proved my point. It's the little victories that count