Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Mandel Brotset posted:

put ai on the blockchain

It's the perfect limitation! It can only generate one word every time the chain solves a math problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lol those Camry prices are from like 700 years ago

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

car dealership giveaways shifting into "prizes you see on game shows from impoverished countries" is probably not a good economic indicator

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

its probably the best joke they've done since Book of Mormon at the very least

I think it was the last one I saw but yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Awesome

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xaris posted:

I think it was the last one I saw but yes

I think that was from the season when they first tried to do the continuous plot within the "6 days to air" structure. and it was really good. and then they did another one and woops Trump won the election and it clearly threw off whatever they were building towards and had to completely scrap it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I think that was from the season when they first tried to do the continuous plot within the "6 days to air" structure. and it was really good. and then they did another one and woops Trump won the election and it clearly threw off whatever they were building towards and had to completely scrap it.
was it really 8 years ago? gently caress man

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Twerk from Home posted:

Next up is the free sleeping bag and piss jug.

oh hell yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYvGfF1Gkg

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

... is reality glitching this is the same minneapolis suburb those cops got merked in last week and we were talking about in the covid thread wtf is going on

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

was it really 8 years ago? gently caress man

Eric Cartman would be 35 years old today if the show progressed in real time

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is the most violent thing you've ever posted.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2lErtXGAsQ

LG says you can't sue because the box that you never saw said that you can't

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Andrew mccutchen is 37

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=033ntbjnbrQ&pp=ygUVZXJpYyBjYXJ0bWFuIGdyb3duIHVw

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
BTC 63k+ now

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Buy buy buy!!!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

have a black and white cookie. they're famous. only in ny baby

Black and white cookies were invented in Baltimore you monster.

Also, daily Balt-NY train commutes are very much a thing.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

this makes sense if housing is a free market, which it is not

more like (literally anything happens) = higher rents

I mean, what is a free market? Otherwise, yeah reduced supply will lead to higher prices. As for property monopolies, it is America.

Shageletic posted:

Lol what are you talking about. Triple Sulk had some good points but like I said by any measure there are alot of attractive parts of NYC that is a way better price comparison than flying in. It's not "some random place at the end of the subway line". It sure as hell beats dealing with traffic congestion. Do you have any exp living here?

Getting hot and bothered about NYC over here. Gonna cool myself with a nice slice of pie.

Sorry man, but NYC is just...terrible. You go there to make money.

In Training posted:

there are many places you could live within a 45 min commute to Manhattan that don't cost $4000 a month or whatever. But gently caress it. gently caress that guy he's probably stacking skrilla so what do I know.

It is everything being equal though, you can find a decent price for cheaper outside of the NYC metro area and if it is just a once a week then does it make sense to adjust your entire life to it? It isn't that unreasonable, looking at the costs. I would assume he looked at his options and preferred one that made sense for them (and plenty of people are doing it across the country on both coasts).

Hubbert posted:

hmmmmm interesting

what if I told you that in the Canadian experience, lower interest rates = greater debt servicing ability = asset inflation

damned if you do, damned if you don't

It is the same as the US, lower rates will bouy housing and assets. The stock market is a little of an oddity but honestly it seems like it is literally being boosted by 3 stocks at the moment.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 18:40 on Feb 28, 2024

Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I mean, what is a free market? Otherwise, yeah reduced supply will lead to higher prices..

also increased supply leads to higher prices. Everything leads to higher housing prices, because housing is essentially a cartel.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
what if we use ai to solve the housing crisis by putting it on the blockchain with nft deeds and adapting to agile paradigm shifting housing

*suddenly drowns in money*

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

also increased supply leads to higher prices. Everything leads to higher housing prices, because housing is essentially a cartel.

I mean prices have been dropping even if supply is actually quite low, if the US had an increased supply of housing, it probably would drop prices lower.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It kinda feels like every company is scrambling to squeeze out as much profit as they can and then pull out before everything falls apart.

I don't even mean the usual short-sighted stonk-capitalism profit-seeking we saw for the past few decades. Surge pricing for fast food... Reddit going IPO... all this stuff is actively and aggressively destroying their medium-term prospects but it's irrelevant.

Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

I mean prices have been dropping even if supply is actually quite low, if the US had an increased supply of housing, it probably would drop prices lower.

Not on any appreciable time scale. All I can tell you from my point of view is that developers have been building apartment buildings, condos, and SFH like crazy in this county for twelve years now and the average price for a 1br apartment has tripled in that time span (triggering a homelessness crisis).

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

SKULL.GIF posted:

It kinda feels like every company is scrambling to squeeze out as much profit as they can and then pull out before everything falls apart.

I don't even mean the usual short-sighted stonk-capitalism profit-seeking we saw for the past few decades. Surge pricing for fast food... Reddit going IPO... all this stuff is actively and aggressively destroying their medium-term prospects but it's irrelevant.

Either the falling apart thing or because they think our foot is in the trap and we can't escape. They can make it as miserable as they want, because what else are we going to do?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
no one builds new housing that's at all affordable, because why do that when you can build more expensive housing and make your number go up

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
funds are safu
https://twitter.com/deitaone/status/1762896306131902674?s=46

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Not on any appreciable time scale. All I can tell you from my point of view is that developers have been building apartment buildings, condos, and SFH like crazy in this county for twelve years now and the average price for a 1br apartment has tripled in that time span (triggering a homelessness crisis).

A fair amount of it is demand, Portland had the same wave of construction, and rental prices actually leveled off for the most part because there was so much excess supply versus demand.

Apr 7, 2003

the milk machine posted:

no one builds new housing that's at all affordable, because why do that when you can build more expensive housing and make your number go up

and a side effect of that is that the existing housing also increases in price because what the gently caress are you going to do about it

Ardennes posted:

A fair amount of it is demand, Portland had the same wave of construction, and rental prices actually leveled off for the most part because there was so much excess supply versus demand.

Population in this county is flat over the past twelve years. In that time a 1br apartment on average went from $730/mo to $1512/mo.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

and a side effect of that is that the existing housing also increases in price because what the gently caress are you going to do about it

yeah it owns imo

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

[Doomsday Econ] SOME USERS MAY FORECAST ZERO BALANCE

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

the milk machine posted:

I understand a contributor to this problem is that banks aren't interested in funding loans for affordable housing pretty much at all

Investors aren't clamoring to build affordable houses and banks aren't clamoring to loan buyers money for them, especially not buyers with poor or new credit

Affordable housing is only really a thing when the state is heavily invested in building it and funding it, and we don't really seem to be capable of this anymore in the US; the best we can hope for is that the capitalists get too greedy and collapse a market somewhere

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Population in this county is flat over the past twelve years. In that time a 1br apartment on average went from $730/mo to $1512/mo.

There was just a story about how the rust belt is seeing rapidly increasing rent and a lesser extent housing prices do to WFH/super-commuting.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

coinbase outage during bull run, thats how you know bitcoin is back

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

err posted:

BTC 63k+ now

70k by Thursday night

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

... is reality glitching this is the same minneapolis suburb those cops got merked in last week and we were talking about in the covid thread wtf is going on

I used to live in Burnsville. It's a boring bog-standard suburb. And I didn't get any rice when I bought my Honda Fit from the dealership next door to these guys. :mad:

Apr 7, 2003

Ardennes posted:

There was just a story about how the rust belt is seeing rapidly increasing rent and a lesser extent housing prices do to WFH/super-commuting.

That was already happening way before the WFH boom. Prices are going to go up because, as I said, what the gently caress are you going to do about it, but the excuse will vary depending on where you are.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
building housing that isn't more expensive than existing stock is wasting a valuable financial opportunity

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

it would be extremely funny if coinbase got cleared out

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Rapidly increasing rents? Check out what Facebook is always recommending to me for some reason even though I always hide or say not interested:

https://www.facebook.com/share/r/4Gxjg5zj3uodGC8K/?mibextid=xfxF2i

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1762891619349442714?t=Uu7gsTuPbmxWQq9-teMp9g&s=19

While record profits, record stocks, and record speculative busllhit happens lol