Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
After I graduated college last year (where I got free guitar lessons from a guitar college guy) I used all my savings to move out. Sometimes I regret not using all my savings to have gotten a Kaizen instead... Maybe I'll use my tax return to get a tokai sakura tele copy 😈

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Elissimpark posted:

He did a video for Been Caught Stealing, which got a response from Dave Navarro saying "nice, but here's how I play it". Which has raised Mr Navarro in my esteem.

One of the most liberating things I've been realising with guitar is that "it's guitar lmao do what you want"

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

After I graduated college last year (where I got free guitar lessons from a guitar college guy) I used all my savings to move out. Sometimes I regret not using all my savings to have gotten a Kaizen instead... Maybe I'll use my tax return to get a tokai sakura tele copy 😈

Sometimes the money finds you
for instance, my first real job outta school had a lovely joke excuse of a 401k program that after 2 1/2 years was worth like $3000

I didn't even bother to transfer it when I left that job and forgot about it for years but eventually I got a random letter telling me how to get that money and it was just the right amount to get me the Martin CEO-7 I'd been coveting

the universe demanded

Grum
May 7, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

I was sent these two images:

One thing that took me a long time to appreciate is that the tuggin' hand just lets your stretchin' hand be in that position while fully relaxed and doesn't really do anything else unless you are insanely inflexible. Then you stretch

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

MrMojok posted:

I have a dumbass question. This is from the invoice from a luthier.

Near the bottom, are these values:

.022 .007 1/16 plus

What does it mean?

could be measurements from the finished setup, to be referred to if the guitar shows up again:

1st fret clearance - neck relief - action at body joint - ??? (don't know what plus would be)

If this is for an electric guitar, those values might make sense. I would expect to see two sets of those numbers, one for each E string

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

didn’t that also happen with Paul Simon?

That was a Paul Davids joint.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Local auction near me has a wrecked les paul.. any way to tell if this is a genuine Gibson from these low-res photos? It looks like the maple cap has split from the body and the body is hollow, but apparently Gibson has a "chambered" weight relief option that could look like that.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

Local auction near me has a wrecked les paul.. any way to tell if this is a genuine Gibson from these low-res photos? It looks like the maple cap has split from the body and the body is hollow, but apparently Gibson has a "chambered" weight relief option that could look like that.

also wondering whether this dilapidated mess is the genuine article or a clever fake :v:

answering your question: i dont think you can tell, OP.

EDIT: looking closer, it's not a bolt on neck, and that makes it less likely to be a phony. cant tell if neck thru or set neck.

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 28, 2024

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I love that the headstock is still on.

e, also lol at it having a strap on it. Nearly stage-ready.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Feb 28, 2024

mewse
May 2, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

EDIT: looking closer, it's not a bolt on neck, and that makes it less likely to be a phony. cant tell if neck thru or set neck.

Yeah I don't know. It has no binding on the body or fretboard, so there's no nibs to look for on the edge of the frets. The bridge posts seem correct? I don't know what models, if any, have a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge. The truss rod cover looks correct.

e: I read that all gibsons are nitro rather than poly, I think nitro cracks as it ages? The weathering on the headstock looks very weird and hard to tell if nitro or poly

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Feb 28, 2024

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Looks right for a Gibson BFG (barely finished guitar). Right setup, and no inlays or binding on those.

mewse
May 2, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Looks right for a Gibson BFG (barely finished guitar). Right setup, and no inlays or binding on those.

Holy poo poo. Your post why I asked about it in here, it matches almost exactly. Crazy. At what point does a barely finished guitar become a none finished guitar?

e: found a review that even mentions it's chambered

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I really like the BFG pickup combination but found the alligator finishes horrible.

There was a P90/Hum signature called the Lou Pallo which I did like - basically a black Standard with natural back and sides and LPC inlays. He was the second guitarist in the Les Paul Trio.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I love the P90 over Hamburger combo. The best.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

mewse posted:

That looks like a flood recovery, and if so run away. Guarantee the truss rod is rusted tight and the neck is going to warp and twist if it hasn't already.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Major Operation posted:

could be measurements from the finished setup, to be referred to if the guitar shows up again:

1st fret clearance - neck relief - action at body joint - ??? (don't know what plus would be)

If this is for an electric guitar, those values might make sense. I would expect to see two sets of those numbers, one for each E string

It is an electric. To the left of these numbers is the category “strings” so I think you’re right.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

Ian Thornley on the beato show nerding out today

Beato is Beato, but I'll give him props for recognizing the underrated genius of Ian Thornley. And it was fun listening to Ian being super humble and nerding out about guitar stuff. Go listen to Big Wreck, it's good.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How do people feel about the 64GB iPad for doing some light recording? An extra $150 is a lot of scratch for more space. I'm guessing I'd want to leverage external storage quite a bit anyways.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

luchadornado posted:

How do people feel about the 64GB iPad for doing some light recording? An extra $150 is a lot of scratch for more space. I'm guessing I'd want to leverage external storage quite a bit anyways.

save for a few extra weeks and spend the extra money

64gb is nothing once you load up a few apps

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

luchadornado posted:

Go listen to Big Wreck, it's good.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
:canada:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

enjoying the guitar work in this certified Publix Banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIsu8_9dWGY

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

landgrabber posted:

Reminds me of overhearing that "What if God was one of us" song and thinking "huh, that tone is sick tho" and went a-googling. Naturally, there is deep lore on the recording the guitar of this one hit wonder from the 90s but the gist is: Les Paul/PAF into an AC30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDdOnl0bHO4

mewse
May 2, 2006

widefault posted:

That looks like a flood recovery, and if so run away. Guarantee the truss rod is rusted tight and the neck is going to warp and twist if it hasn't already.

I'm gonna buy it

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have a very dumb beginner question/problem.

I don't understand how to use a metronome to keep time on a song that has musical segments that don't line up cleanly in the meaure?

I can play one song, this simple rendition of the BG3 main theme:

https://youtu.be/ykBfFRbpVlo?si=CGDFAF6MUWJ1ORF_

I know the whole song now and I can hit most of the notes more or less correctly every time (like it's rarer and rarer for me to hit the entirely wrong string or catch my thumb nail on the string above it, etc). It's getting to the point that I can hear (and correct) finer and smaller problems when I play, like I'm not worried so much about learning the song but about playing it well, so that it sounds good. So that's all fine, good stuff. The problem is with the metronome.

If I'm understanding the video, bits of the song don't line up with the bars and measures? Compare this to bad moon rising, the only other song I learned (before I realized I don't actually want to strum chords in rhythm guitar, I want to finger pick melodies), all the changes happen on a very clear alignment with the beat.

So, I'm not sure how to use the metronome to keep time? Just keep practicing and be aware of where I am in the measures even though it may not line up with where I am in any particular bit of playing? Sounds hard!

Edit: Bar 22 is mostly what I'm complaining about.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 29, 2024

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Are you using the metronome alongside something like Spotify, or using the metronome and playing it on guitar without the backing track?

Either way the answer to your question is to look into a click track, which is basically a preprogrammed metronome that will do tempo changes when you've programmed it to. I've only ever used them inside of a digital audio workstation and don't know a standalone program/product that will make these.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I'm pretty much exclusively acoustic-electric these days, but just wading into the ideal setup with my band

am i crazy for just bringing my pedalboard and an Alto powered loudspeaker (2000watt 15" speaker) for this small club gig I have tomorrow night?

more EQ would be cool but I think its dialed in enough and has been plenty loud in rehearsals, not even halfway turned up

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are you using the metronome alongside something like Spotify, or using the metronome and playing it on guitar without the backing track?

Either way the answer to your question is to look into a click track, which is basically a preprogrammed metronome that will do tempo changes when you've programmed it to. I've only ever used them inside of a digital audio workstation and don't know a standalone program/product that will make these.

I was just turning on the metronome on my "guitar tuna" mobile app and trying to play. Maybe I should actually look into it more; I'll check out that click track and more on metronomes generally.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't understand how to use a metronome to keep time on a song that has musical segments that don't line up cleanly in the meaure?

I can play one song, this simple rendition of the BG3 main theme:

https://youtu.be/ykBfFRbpVlo?si=CGDFAF6MUWJ1ORF_

I know the whole song now and I can hit most of the notes more or less correctly every time (like it's rarer and rarer for me to hit the entirely wrong string or catch my thumb nail on the string above it, etc). It's getting to the point that I can hear (and correct) finer and smaller problems when I play, like I'm not worried so much about learning the song but about playing it well, so that it sounds good. So that's all fine, good stuff. The problem is with the metronome.

If I'm understanding the video, bits of the song don't line up with the bars and measures? Compare this to bad moon rising, the only other song I learned (before I realized I don't actually want to strum chords in rhythm guitar, I want to finger pick melodies), all the changes happen on a very clear alignment with the beat.

So, I'm not sure how to use the metronome to keep time? Just keep practicing and be aware of where I am in the measures even though it may not line up with where I am in any particular bit of playing? Sounds hard!

Can you point out specific areas you're talking about? I don't know what you mean by "bits of the song don't line up with the bars and measures."

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ColdPie posted:

Can you point out specific areas you're talking about? I don't know what you mean by "bits of the song don't line up with the bars and measures."

It's hard to read on my phone but I think bar 22? You have to hit four E11s after a pause, three are one bar and the fourth is on the next?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

20 Blunts posted:

I'm pretty much exclusively acoustic-electric these days, but just wading into the ideal setup with my band

am i crazy for just bringing my pedalboard and an Alto powered loudspeaker (2000watt 15" speaker) for this small club gig I have tomorrow night?

more EQ would be cool but I think its dialed in enough and has been plenty loud in rehearsals, not even halfway turned up
You'll be fine with the Alto. I guess set it up behind you so it projects into the room and you can still hear yourself.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's hard to read on my phone but I think bar 22? You have to hit four E11s after a pause, three are one bar and the fourth is on the next?

So it seems like you're wondering about counting sub-divisions? So like the metronome is playing quarter notes (one, two, three, four) but at the end of that measure you're playing sixteenth notes (four times as fast: one-E-and-A, two-E-and-A, three-E-and-A, four-E-and-A) and you're playing the E-and-A of four and then the one of the next measure. Yeah?

One thing you can do to get used to this if you're brand new to it is to count it out loud. Like with words with your mouth. So set the metronome to play quarter notes and say along with it, "one, two, three, four, one, two, three, four" over and over. Then do eighth notes, twice as fast: "one and, two and, three and, four and, one ...". The numbers fall in the same place they did before, and the ands go in between them. Then sixteenth notes, twice again as fast: "one-EE-and-AH, two-EE-and-AH, three-EE-and-AH ...". It gets pretty fast depending on your base metronome quarter note speed.

Once you've got the hang of subdivisions vocally, start playing each on your guitar, maybe along with your vocalizing, if it's easier (it may or may not be easier, depends on yourself). Just one single note, like an open E. Quarter notes along with the metronome (slow), then eighth notes (twice as fast), then sixteenth notes (twice as fast again). Then you can start playing the rhythm of that measure of the song (e-and-a, one). The one will fall exactly along with the metronome click.

You can find a lot more on google/youtube some of those terms.

Does that help a bit?

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Feb 29, 2024

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It does, thanks. I'll work on those exercises just like I worked on learning the notes to the song, and build up over time.

insane clown pussy
Jun 20, 2023

Jack B Nimble posted:

that's not a dumb question at all

the thing you're talking about is called syncopation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ4BxQKn9O8

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

It does, thanks. I'll work on those exercises just like I worked on learning the notes to the song, and build up over time.

It can help to set your metronome to count eighth notes instead of quarter notes when practicing harder 16th note divisions so long as the tempo isn’t too fast. That BG3 song seems like a tempo that would be ok to do. It’s easier to feel where the syncopated 16ths go when you can hear the “and” (+) of every beat from the metronome instead of a slower quarter note beat.

If your metronome can’t be set to eighth notes then just double the tempo. So if that was at 60 bpm (guessing but it sounds around there from what he was playing) you would set it to 120 and consider what you’re hearing to be 1 + 2 + 3 + etc. instead of just 1 2 3 etc.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Signals Music Studio has a course built entirely around the metronome and counting thing that explains it all and gives practice routines. It's a "pay what you feel like" pricing system.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Dr. Faustus posted:

You'll be fine with the Alto. I guess set it up behind you so it projects into the room and you can still hear yourself.

alternatively, i present the Stank Stack***

all hail the stank stack

better nickname not forthcoming

20 Blunts fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 29, 2024

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

landgrabber posted:

I'll have to find out what the deal is, but this toddler CD I have for my baby has some wicked pedal steel solos.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

20 Blunts posted:

alternatively, i present the Stank Stack***

all hail the stank stack

better nickname not forthcoming

bass down, master up, that's the way I like to (((DRONE)))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Grum posted:

tuggin' hand

My favorite hand

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

... Hands are garbage.

:hai:

Decided to do a test and try out a new video format from my usual "4 locked down, 2 gimbal track" ones. Allows me to get both parts on the screen and add some graphics and upper thirds (which will be useful for my Best Of riff videos). Trying to have more fun on the production side of things. Let me know what y'all think and if you have any suggestions on how to make these more fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0kLjPm9REY