Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
So, I've been gifted Grandia 2 by a friend who's pretty sure I'll love it. I'm sure he's probably right, but I am noticing that this is a JRPG from the year 2000. And that's a recipe for a whole bunch of weird unintuitive missable sidequests, or overtuned bonus bosses lurking around.

Without spoilers, how much of that specific flavor of bullshit is ahead of me? Normally I wouldn't check, but this is right in the midst of developers thinking that dodging two hundred lightning bolts was an acceptable way to get an ultimate weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nothing at all like that tbh. The biggest missable thing is just that inns have a lot of dialog that updates as the game goes on, even inns you have no reason to go back to.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I don't even remember G2 having sidequests tbh

Barudak
May 7, 2007

None.

Theres basically two (?) difficult bosses and you can grind right past them in a jiffy.

The only thing I will note is something which is not missable until you start the final dungeon but is unintuitively an item on the ground quite late in the game after a extremely vague spoiler follows Your party crashes a vehicle. This item helps manage your party a little better for the end game that follows, but again is unnecessary.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't even remember G2 having sidequests tbh

It has one optional dungeon that opens/changes after the spoilered scene I have above. The game even notes when you enter that its optional and finishing it will not forward the story. It contains some neat lore and loot, but again, nothing game changing.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The one thing that’s kinda significant and not super obvious is that two of your party members leave at some point but one doesn’t come back, and you can go back to an area when they leave to get back all the skill points you invested in them. Not like, a huge deal since Grandia 2 isn’t super hard, just something to keep in mind to look up when it happens.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Feel kinda bad that I never finished the first Grandia game when I played through it last year. Should find time to get back to it at some point but... probably unlikely for a while

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
holy poo poo, unicorn overlord rules.. i might get this over rebirth

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I hope I find the motivation to actually play through 7r and r2 this year but yeah I haven't been excited for a game to come out like this since forbidden west

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Honest Thief posted:

holy poo poo, unicorn overlord rules.. i might get this over rebirth
You have a week to finish Rebirth tho

BrokenLink
Apr 27, 2013

Cleretic posted:

So, I've been gifted Grandia 2 by a friend who's pretty sure I'll love it. I'm sure he's probably right, but I am noticing that this is a JRPG from the year 2000. And that's a recipe for a whole bunch of weird unintuitive missable sidequests, or overtuned bonus bosses lurking around.

Without spoilers, how much of that specific flavor of bullshit is ahead of me? Normally I wouldn't check, but this is right in the midst of developers thinking that dodging two hundred lightning bolts was an acceptable way to get an ultimate weapon.

The only obscure thing is a book gotten from repeating and doing well at a mandatory minigame that involves grabbing nuts off pedestals, there's no indication that you can repeat it and that it has a decent prize for doing so.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Rascyc posted:

You have a week to finish Rebirth tho

please make it 60 or 50 bucks, ;_;

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 18 days!)

really annoying how they make games be bigger and bigger in file size, but console harddrive is still like the same like PS3 era. And you can only fit like 3 AAA games on it at once and maybe 3 smaller games.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

GateOfD posted:

really annoying how they make games be bigger and bigger in file size, but console harddrive is still like the same like PS3 era. And you can only fit like 3 AAA games on it at once and maybe 3 smaller games.

The biggest PS3 model at launch was 160 GB. The basic PS5 model at launch is ~650 GB.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I find it hilarious that the upcoming FF7 game has a main menu that reads " Story, Quests, Map, Intel, Chadley."

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
60 GB actually, the 160GB model was the second Slim revision (the one that's a crapshoot as to whether you can install cfw)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be 100% honest I've never had a serious issue with storage space on my PS5. Rebirth is loving insane but even then I have a bunch of other games installed at the same time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I bought 2TB drive and still have to delete stuff

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

To be 100% honest I've never had a serious issue with storage space on my PS5. Rebirth is loving insane but even then I have a bunch of other games installed at the same time.

Same, I usually have two or three big games and a few smaller ones installed at any given time.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the dumbest thing i have ever purchased was one of those insanely overpriced xbox series memory cards

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I find it hilarious that the upcoming FF7 game has a main menu that reads " Story, Quests, Map, Intel, Chadley."

Chadley deserves it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Same energy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I don't think Alphinaud would stoop as low as to create a digital girlfriend, who is also a gender-flipped version of himself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think Alphinaud would stoop as low as to create a digital girlfriend, who is also a gender-flipped version of himself.

I have no idea how in the world you got 'girlfriend' from 'twin sister.'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Epic posts.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Alphinaud would have a twin sister, wouldn't he, the lowlife.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol ahhh the game's almost out at least

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Look, Mass Effect 3 left a mark when Seth Green hooked up with an Operating System.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Look, Mass Effect 3 left a mark when Seth Green hooked up with an Operating System.

I was mildly disappointed you couldn't romance her out from under him, like on a renegade character or something.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Barudak posted:

None.

Theres basically two (?) difficult bosses and you can grind right past them in a jiffy.

I want to take a guess at this

Melfice and Valmar Core?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ImpAtom posted:

Played too many jrpgs

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having finally beaten Xenoblade 2 I was surprised they didn't make the Grampa in the gang a pervert, a la Master Roshi. The gang already has a pervert, so it would have been redundant.

Edit: Too far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Feb 28, 2024

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Having finally beaten Xenoblade 2 I was surprised they didn't make the Grampa in the gang a pervert, a la Master Roshi. The gang already has a pervert, so it would have been redundant.

:buddy:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's cool they made Gramps into a little guy that chills out in Rex's helmet.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's cool they made Gramps into a little guy that chills out in Rex's helmet.

In the JP dub I think he's the vo who screams out the status effects which was sorely lacking in xc3.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I've never beaten a Trails game, so I'm not an expert on sister loving.

whaaa????

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In the JP dub I think he's the vo who screams out the status effects which was sorely lacking in xc3.

Gramps rules

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Played too many jrpgs

:imunfunny:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

ImpAtom posted:

Since, as a JRPG,

It's perfectly common for it to be both.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wow these last few posts have been really funny and creative

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.