Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I'm doing organizing on stuff now and getting other queer people motivated behind "this is something intentionally, directly and openly targeted at us" is spotty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

NeonPunk posted:

Maybe if Taylor Swift get long covid and she speaks out then maybe that could be a start?

Like we probably won't get anything done until Oprah also bring in Long Covid patients on the show too

So, something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edMT9fIszqw

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

NeonPunk posted:

Maybe if Taylor Swift get long covid and she speaks out then maybe that could be a start?

Like we probably won't get anything done until Oprah also bring in Long Covid patients on the show too

Mr. Beast interviewing Taylor Swift about long covid will be the tipping point.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

genericnick posted:

Lausanne is where the CERN faculty hangs out. Wake up sheeple

Not to mention the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Lausanne

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Salt Fish posted:

Mr. Beast interviewing Taylor Swift about long covid will be the tipping point.

Was Rock Hudson a tipping point, or do we only remember it that way?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Was Rock Hudson a tipping point, or do we only remember it that way?

The tipping point was Ryan White, prior to his case people widely believed only gay people could get AIDS.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Shiroc posted:

I'm doing organizing on stuff now and getting other queer people motivated behind "this is something intentionally, directly and openly targeted at us" is spotty.

its a motivating factor for me but some lgbt people just dont want to believe how much desire there is to send them to the woodchipper to the point of denying what is going on around them, so i could see where it would be a mixed bag, yeah

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Magic Johnson

Rock Hudson was a, “Wow gays are everywhere” moment but I remember Magic being the big thing that broke through.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

hot witch divorcee posted:

its a motivating factor for me but some lgbt people just dont want to believe how much desire there is to send them to the woodchipper to the point of denying what is going on around them, so i could see where it would be a mixed bag, yeah

We're in a safe state you know--

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

NeonPunk posted:

Any lingering effects of multiple infections are going to happen slow enough and invisibly enough that I don't think long covid is ever going to get its day in the sun. Maybe in a hundred years when people look back on this time they'll go, "Wow, everybody alive during that couple of years / generation / century was extremely unhealthy," but if the effects of the Spanish flu are still kinda vague I think it'll be the same.

I don't think there's any hope of building a movement towards awareness or prevention of covid when even on an extremely left-leaning forum, where people are extremely primed to look at this as a labor and class issue, discussion of it is limited to a couple dozen weirdos in this thread. I'll bet some, maybe even close to half of CSPAMmers mask at least some of the time, but only in a "you do you" sense. I honestly think any effort towards organizing would be better spent on just keeping yourself and those close to you as safe as you can, because nobody else is going to.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The tipping point was Ryan White, prior to his case people widely believed only gay people could get AIDS.

Good point. That prompted me to think about kids and long covid.

Starsky and Hutch actor Paul Michael Glaser was married to museum director Elizabeth Glaser. In August 1981, she contracted HIV through a blood transfusion while giving birth to the couple's first child, Ariel. Elizabeth did not know that she was infected with the virus until four years later, when both she and Ariel became sick with a mysterious illness. When the entire family was tested, Elizabeth, Ariel and the couple's one-and-a-half-year-old son Jake were found to be HIV positive. Ariel died three years later, soon after her seventh birthday. Elizabeth died December 3, 1994.

From what I understand, this was kind of a big deal. I know people still believe kids can't catch, can't transmit, aren't affected by covid, but would something like this matter much today? Like, kids getting covid when they're born and stuff... you know?

Idk, I guess it's the realization that covid activism has no legs compared to AIDS activism, despite as you have all pointed out, covid is proving to be as bad or worse.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

Shiroc posted:

We're in a safe state you know--

*gavin newsom vetoes the Don't Send Trans Children To Woodchippers Bill*

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rochallor posted:

Any lingering effects of multiple infections are going to happen slow enough and invisibly enough that I don't think long covid is ever going to get its day in the sun. Maybe in a hundred years when people look back on this time they'll go, "Wow, everybody alive during that couple of years / generation / century was extremely unhealthy," but if the effects of the Spanish flu are still kinda vague I think it'll be the same.

I don't think there's any hope of building a movement towards awareness or prevention of covid when even on an extremely left-leaning forum, where people are extremely primed to look at this as a labor and class issue, discussion of it is limited to a couple dozen weirdos in this thread. I'll bet some, maybe even close to half of CSPAMmers mask at least some of the time, but only in a "you do you" sense. I honestly think any effort towards organizing would be better spent on just keeping yourself and those close to you as safe as you can, because nobody else is going to.

what's going on now is extremely similar to the way slavery and yellow fever have been disentangled in the history books. The process is like this:

Motivated reasoning: black people can't get it
Effect: black people get it and die
Record-keeping: since black people can't get it, all these black people must have died of something else
History-making: *time passes* weird, all these people in NOLA got yellow fever and died, but not black people. Huh, wild. Guess slavery did really keep them safe from yellow fever!

We can't build a movement based in evidence when the people recording the evidence are motivated to obscure evidence that compromises the world order that made them something so neat and cushy as a record-keeper. We're currently in the motivated reasoning stage of the process, hence all the "mysterious illnesses" in this very loving thread lol

Not saying posters have motivated reasoning, just that the people who would investigate such things don't seem to be too motivated to investigate this particular thing, again.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

awwwww hell yeah just checked on the Levoit EverestAir on Amazon and they were offering a 100 dollar off coupon, dunno if that's universal or not but my air purifier game about to go dummy

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
And this is also the anti-communism playbook. How many normies are able to identify both our empty shelves and the empty shelves featured in the USSR in the 70s and 80s as both a product of capitalism/imperialism?

Like it's remarkably effective and the only sign that you're doing something that's working is the cops come down on you really loving hard and murder you or else everyone believes you're a terrorist for the rest of your life.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

tuyop posted:

what's going on now is extremely similar to the way slavery and yellow fever have been disentangled in the history books. The process is like this:

Motivated reasoning: black people can't get it
Effect: black people get it and die
Record-keeping: since black people can't get it, all these black people must have died of something else
History-making: *time passes* weird, all these people in NOLA got yellow fever and died, but not black people. Huh, wild. Guess slavery did really keep them safe from yellow fever!

We can't build a movement based in evidence when the people recording the evidence are motivated to obscure evidence that compromises the world order that made them something so neat and cushy as a record-keeper. We're currently in the motivated reasoning stage of the process, hence all the "mysterious illnesses" in this very loving thread lol

Not saying posters have motivated reasoning, just that the people who would investigate such things don't seem to be too motivated to investigate this particular thing, again.

That's a really good observation, goddamn

The disparity in response is enough to drive you crazy, you know?

DJJIB-DJDCT has issued a correction as of 20:21 on Feb 28, 2024

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

My personal reasoning is that if you're already a target for chuds with regards to your sexuality/gender, you'd not going to wear a mask to paint another huge target on yourself. Especially if you're someone who isn't convinced that covid as bad as it really is.

The isolation from all this isn't to be understated. I've had to completely rewrite my life because of LC and its so, SO difficult to find socialization avenues that aren't either in a restaurant or a hike. If I didn't have LC I would be struggling a lot to keep up being covid-safe. I'm so weak I can't hold up my bass for very long so it makes it easy to go "yup can't play bass with my pals in a room that probably has the worst ventilation imaginable".

I would love it if there was a group to rally behind for covid-safe stuff, even if its ineffective. Posting isn't praxis.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

dxt posted:

Coworker who tested positive for covid last Thursday is back in the office today (may have been earlier this week too, I've been working from home) wearing a kn95 (!), I just walked by his desk and his masked was pulled down so he could eat. He shares a cube with an extremely pregnant woman who was also there. :rubby:

five days later

no problem detected

applebees approved

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

The disparity in response is enough to drive you crazy, you know?
that's right. maybe you belong in a mental institution. lots of mental illness these days. people doing crazy poo poo. it's an epidemic

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jyrraeth posted:

I would love it if there was a group to rally behind for covid-safe stuff, even if its ineffective. Posting isn't praxis.

there are many, but they're local, small, or limited in scope.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

Posting isn't praxis.

:mods:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

https://bsky.app/profile/seanhowe.bsky.social/post/3kmh7v2tag223

Feb 20, 2020:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I guess that's it, eh? There can't be a moment where the culture produces a covid An Early Frost or Angels in America given those conditions. It would have to be informed by class, because that's who's catching and suffering the most from covid, rather than sexuality, and... well that's a harder row to hoe.

There's also the problem that covid is killing a much smaller portion of the most affected communities. In the 80s, some gay communities lost half of their men to HIV/AIDS. In 2020, 3% of young Black Americans lost a grandparent to COVID-19, which is a horrific death rate but it's also not so high that an individual would notice it without statistics.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Chamale posted:

There's also the problem that covid is killing a much smaller portion of the most affected communities. In the 80s, some gay communities lost half of their men to HIV/AIDS. In 2020, 3% of young Black Americans lost a grandparent to COVID-19, which is a horrific death rate but it's also not so high that an individual would notice it without statistics.

i mean this was my point. it's "affecting" literally the entire population at the same rate, but it's smoothed out and normalized within every potential "community" differentiator except for the Material Condition That Shall Not Be Named

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Most people who get covid probably won't get bad outcomes from that individual infection. As we've seen here constantly, people who do get bad outcomes still will tell you how they got it, it was mild, they're fine and we're all freaks to care then drop how they still can't smell or their heart is hosed up.

Shiroc has issued a correction as of 21:23 on Feb 28, 2024

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

hot witch divorcee posted:

*gavin newsom vetoes the Don't Send Trans Children To Woodchippers Bill*

He wasn't happy to do it but it was an important bipartisan compromise for the sake of the economy.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
afaict covid is damaging the part of the brain which handles inhibition, and basically thinking its fine while you're melting like the this is fine dog is one of the symptoms

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

brap posted:

afaict covid is damaging the part of the brain which handles inhibition, and basically thinking its fine while you're melting like the this is fine dog is one of the symptoms

that's just neoliberalism

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

The Oldest Man posted:

that's just neoliberalism

covid makes you even worse of a liberal is a good reason for me to avoid it, but i see where other people are having issues

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I was looking for something else and lol here you go, here is covid to everyone else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPtH43VmvJI

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I was looking for something else and lol here you go, here is covid to everyone else
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPtH43VmvJI

the cdc saw this and ended the isolation guidance

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
it's an interesting (read horrible but worth investigating) breakpoint in the epidemiology between the two plagues in question. we've talked about it in the thread before that HIV is not very infectious but prior to therapeutics being developed was essentially a death sentence. whereas COVID is unbelievably contagious but not particularly virulent. a third comparator to invoke for a social examination would be something like smallpox or indeed measles because you are visibly, noticeably afflicted in a way that you are not with HIV/COV2.

unfortunately the American Death Project is more interested in and adept at twisting these facts into morality plays about the Promiscuous Gays, or the Invincible Children

brap posted:

yeah this too, Covidyceps is real!!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

it's an interesting (read horrible but worth investigating) breakpoint in the epidemiology between the two plagues in question. we've talked about it in the thread before that HIV is not very infectious but prior to therapeutics being developed was essentially a death sentence. whereas COVID is unbelievably contagious but not particularly virulent.

that's the thing, Covid is pretty virulent, measles only killed 2 in 1000 kids and we went balls-to-the-wall to eliminate it. The NSC said you had a 1-in-10 chance of dying of covid in 2021 and nobody gave a poo poo. Nobody gave a poo poo because the neoliberal machine kept telling them that it was just a cold and that if you were scared of a cold you were a giant sissy loser.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
yeah we don’t have any kind of similar effect observable in living memory to what’s happened with Covid. you need to go back 150 years or more to see the playbook.

all more recent examples, from polio to malaria to hiv, take place in an institutional context that emerged to basically save capitalism and keep the Soviet Union at bay ideologically.

since the USSR is gone and the people who remembered the other reasons (ideological/moral/ethical and even “economic”) that we told each other were behind the caring have died or forgotten, there’s really no reason to keep up the caring bullshit. there simply is no alternative. the power of an alternative is also clear now given how much ink and vitriol, and who knows what else behind the scenes, was spilled about China failing to give up as well.

like they’re not very good at this really. if you want to know what works, just look at what the news hates the most and what the cops destroy most readily. look at who gets suicided and who about-faces.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Gunshow Poophole posted:

i mean this was my point. it's "affecting" literally the entire population at the same rate, but it's smoothed out and normalized within every potential "community" differentiator except for the Material Condition That Shall Not Be Named

It kills me.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

that's the thing, Covid is pretty virulent, measles only killed 2 in 1000 kids and we went balls-to-the-wall to eliminate it. The NSC said you had a 1-in-10 chance of dying of covid in 2021 and nobody gave a poo poo. Nobody gave a poo poo because the neoliberal machine kept telling them that it was just a cold and that if you were scared of a cold you were a giant sissy loser.

This too.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
so measles is 50X as virulent as covid?

I don't disagree about the machine telling people to get the gently caress back to work cowards, but the course* of a Covid infection in one individual is not particularly virulent. Especially compared to HIV? or rabies or hanta or any filovirus or dengue or smallpox.

heck even compared to SARS 1 and MERS. it's partially WHY the powers that be have been able to engage so successfully in the frank denialism and normalization of this plague!!

caveat that we actually don't know what the long-term outcomes of covid are!! because very few people are actually looking!

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Feb 28, 2024

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I don't disagree about the machine telling people to get the gently caress back to work cowards, but the course of a Covid infection in one individual is not particularly virulent. Especially compared to HIV? or rabies or hanta or any filovirus or dengue or smallpox.

heck even compared to SARS 1 and MERS. it's partially WHY the powers that be have been able to engage so successfully in the frank denialism and normalization of this plague!!

initial hiv infection symptoms are like unto a cold or flu. it’s the immune exhaustion and subsequent infections/cancers that kill you.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Oracle posted:

initial hiv infection symptoms are like unto a cold or flu. it’s the immune exhaustion and subsequent infections/cancers that kill you.

hence my caveat / edit :P

we're in for such sights

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the polio comparison from... 2021? in new york state was also a fun one, because presuming an adequate level of surveillance the collective public health response to polio stands in much starker relief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

I don't disagree about the machine telling people to get the gently caress back to work cowards, but the course of a Covid infection in one individual is not particularly virulent. Especially compared to HIV? or rabies or hanta or any filovirus or dengue or smallpox

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_human_disease_case_fatality_rates, measles is 1-3% CFR in developing countries in unvaccinated victims (which is the best data we have since you don't get a lot of CFR data from developed countries because measles outbreaks of any scale have been unheard of in rich countries for decades, but don't worry we're working on that), and COVID is 0.5-1% in the unvaccinated.

Neither of those include post-acute deaths, which are a pretty significant thing in both diseases (kids who get measles will get a random infection months afterward and die since it deletes your immune memory), and obv raw CFR doesn't tell you much about either IFR or chronic after-effects.

But they're pretty comparable disease in terms of acute virulence and probably transmissibility as well, although the existence of a durable and highly effective measles vaccine makes abstract comparisons of transmissibility there kind of meaningless.