Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: dead gay comedy forums)

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

BillsPhoenix posted:

Lmao a thread full of philoshers can't identify Douglas Adams.

incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Who the gently caress you calling a philosopher anyway? I do useful work.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

BillsPhoenix posted:

I guess I will gently caress off, I over estimated everyone.

yo billy, for someone who has a pretty rudimentary grasp of "coherence" in your paragraphs, I don't think you are in the position to overestimate/underestimate anyone

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont understand. what does hitchhikers guide chapter 1 have to do with anything? are you saying that communists will destroy earth to put in a hyperspace bypass?????? what are the triangles and rectangles, how do they get filled with profit(???) what is going on

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mental illness ftw

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Al! posted:

i dont understand. what does hitchhikers guide chapter 1 have to do with anything? are you saying that communists will destroy earth to put in a hyperspace bypass?????? what are the triangles and rectangles, how do they get filled with profit(???) what is going on

at this point I am open to consider that it could be xanax posting

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

BillsPhoenix posted:

I guess I will gently caress off, I over estimated everyone.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The only Douglas Adams I'm aware of are the Hitchhiker's Guide guy and an obscure linguist. When you get off probation, can you link to some of their work so I can get a better idea what you're talking about? Unlike the know-nothings and ne'er-do-wells in this thread, I am happy to discuss and educate further.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Al! posted:

He's saying he read Chapter 1 of Capital, and that Douglas Adams, the author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and other works, apparently had something pithy to say about it. What it is, we aren't told. Why it's relevant? Who knows. What it is that Marx is saying, and how what Adams says refutes it, and how both of those things are relevant to whatever larger point BP is making, is impossible to say.

And then we have the triangles to consider.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I definitely and genuinely want to know more about the triangles and such. Please come back when you're ready Bill. Unlike these hooligans I'm familiar with the late great Doug Adams (if I may).

Anyways, I started to read Capital and then suddently switched to reading the illustrated version of Capital because I'm addicted to pictures. It's actually a laugh riot and I'm hooting and hollering over here! It's way more detailed and informative than the Manga version (which seems to be more aimed at a young audience) and there are lots of hilarious doodles. I'll post some of them as I go

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Grundrieez Nutz

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Twoing!!

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Apparently Marx is buried near Douglas Adams?? That's about all I can figure out.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/05/05/608807029/as-karl-marx-turns-200-visitors-pay-respect-and-a-fee-at-disputed-tomb-site

quote:

When Marx died in 1883, he was buried at Highgate. He shares the shade of ash and sycamore trees with Douglas Adams, author of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; novelist George Eliot; historian Eric Hobsbawn and Claudia Jones, a Trinidadian activist who founded London's Notting Hill carnival.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I think Bill was referencing Douglas Adams' atheism and clever epic takedowns of God

e: implying that Marx also engages in a faith-based argumentation

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bald Stalin posted:

It's not a bit. This time will be different. This time OP will understand when I reply to them.

drat I was wrong, it was drugs all along

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Zodium posted:

mental illness ftw

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

I love the depiction of "Moneybags", the villain in our story (or hero, if you're one of those people)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I like the Hitchhiker's Guide well enough but Adams was fundamentally a boomer in a lot of ways, including his philosophy. He struck me as a deeply cynical man. Pratchett is the one you want if you're looking deeper into this stuff from the lens of popular fantasy and sci-fi for whatever reason.

I'm glad we could finally get a Rectangular Synthesis Theory to bring together all the loose threads as a result of the advancements in the science of toblerone triangulation tho

edit - if you're trying to build toward some kind of ungainly Christian synthesis of economics and divinity tho you've got competition

Epic High Five has issued a correction as of 23:26 on Feb 28, 2024

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Rodney The Yam II posted:

Grundrieez Nutz

i cant imagine reading the grundrisse before capital

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

BillsPhoenix posted:

Reread Chapter 1. Douglas Adams covers the flaws in assumptions Marx makes about the existence of a divine far better than I can.

Something non-religious type often decry, is that logically, the 3 major "same god" religions are perfectly logical. Apply the same critiques to "proof God is real" logical arguments in reverse.

Practically though, that's not useful. I only bring it up for the people citing the infallibility of dialetical materialism.

I had studied chapter 1 as a "why it's wrong" before. Rereading, it's really pretty basic stuff. One of the critiques is reducing labor to a function of time for parallel comparison.

Had a full day on peasant vs free person labor efficency, which ignores Marx is only simplifying for comparison, I assume a deep dive comes later.

oh you're insane, lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Rodney The Yam II posted:

I think Bill was referencing Douglas Adams' atheism and clever epic takedowns of God

e: implying that Marx also engages in a faith-based argumentation

Oh because Marx refers to the relative and equivalent forms of value as "mysterious" I guess?? Or because Marx is positing new concepts in his theory of political economy, that's the same as appealing to God?

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?
The military is the birthplace of at least some class consciousness. Back home, while you are likely aware that there are rich and powerful people with interests that differ from yours, you aren't exposed on a regular basis to those people. It allows the myth that these rich and powerful people in whose class you do not belong are somehow worthy of their wealth or power, that they possess the qualities that have enabled them to grab and retain that wealth and power. Among your group while you might have had small differentials in familial wealth or privilege, it is very likely that (due to your class) that your compatriots are in a similar class with similar beliefs.

The military introduces you to a large number of people in a similar class who are your peers, but who may hold an entirely different viewpoint. Assuming you are receptive to new viewpoints, it is not a stretch to take your newfound curiosity a step further and to analyze class in a different context as a part of a far more stratified class system than any you have experienced to that point. While you might have known/hated/envied/attempted to befriend the rich kid(s) at school, your failure or success there likely doesn't have a large impact on your day to day life. Perhaps you (if you are successful in befriending) experience briefly some insight into a higher class, but it will not be the daily occurrence suitable to bring about class consciousness, either in acceptance or rejection.

Once you are in the military, assuming that you are enlisted, you are suddenly exposed to a rigid class hierarchy in which you are the bottom. Your food is noticeably worse than the class above. Your lodging is noticeably worse. Your pay is noticeably worse. You must give constant obeisance to your betters in the form of salutes and greetings. You are to do your betters bidding without question. You are taught from the very beginning that, while you are a part of a proud military legacy, you are the unquestioning cannon fodder for the military strategy of your betters. But the true difference is that you are exposed to your betters, your ruling class, on a day to day basis.

While you may or may not grow resentment from a burgeoning class consciousness, the greater precipitating event is the realization that these people who are at the top (from your perspective) of a strictly enforced class hierarchy are so interminably mediocre. They are not the great men of military strategy, or the gallant heroes of military myth, or the example by which all military members should gauge themselves. They are C student frat bros who, especially as young (O1-O3) officers are absolutely clueless in terms of strategic knowledge. Worse, they have no useful skill or ability in service of the mission you have trained for except for their training to demand and maintain obeisance from the lesser members. They are just you, without the technical training, but with enough money for a college degree. They are neither worthy nor commendable based on their merits but someone just like you who started farther up the ladder, with parents or financial ability to get a four year degree. They are the first to leave and the last to get there. They are clueless screwups, by and large, which is forgivable for a peer but infuriating as your better.

The abolition of the draft might have been capitalists greatest bulwark against mass class consciousness, intentional or otherwise.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
When Bills first started posting i had written him off as someone with some kind of schizo-affective disorder who accordingly had that kind of inflated ego and self-obsession with their own percieved genius along with the inability to fully communicate a coherent idea. Then for a while the posts became somewhat readable and related to the discussion but at this point I'm back to thinking that that's the case.

Flournival Dixon has issued a correction as of 23:53 on Feb 28, 2024

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024

Former Everything posted:

The abolition of the draft might have been capitalists greatest bulwark against mass class consciousness, intentional or otherwise.

I think about this sometimes too, I feel like whatever work it did for like racial solidarity it never feels like Vietnam did much for revolutionary potential in the states. As pissed off as everyone was at the embarrassing televised catastrophe of it all, nobody ever did anything meaningful about it, they just went full on into worthless hippy/anarchist poo poo.

I guess it's around the time when the government went all in on murdering the Marxist-Leninist vanguard that was the Black Panthers so it's hardly surprising that everyone just fell back on the American default of anarchism but it's depressing to think about how blatantly the entire history of the United States is nothing but a condemnation of the ineffectual nature of all of anarchism's basic tenants yet it's still the only widespread mode of anti-capitalist thought in the nation.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Flournival Dixon posted:

it's still the only widespread mode of anti-capitalist thought in the nation.
That's because it's not a threat

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
it's just so obvious that it's not a threat is the thing that kills me

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Karach posted:

Oh because Marx refers to the relative and equivalent forms of value as "mysterious" I guess?? Or because Marx is positing new concepts in his theory of political economy, that's the same as appealing to God?

I think that Bill will reveal all things in time. Trust

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That's because it's not a threat

yea

survivor bias
people didn't go into being anarchists in response to vietnam, the ppl that turned to anything more useful got murdered asap

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i cant imagine reading the grundrisse before capital

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

i agree partly but also there's a chance to get bought out instead. many people when given the choice between a two shots to the chest or a judas goat become john lewis

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Al! posted:

I think he means the bit about people being miserable and regretting coming down from the trees. even the ones with digital watches

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

The Voice of Labor posted:

I think he means the bit about people being miserable and regretting coming down from the trees. even the ones with digital watches

oh im an anarcho primitivist too, i should get in touch

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

*floating like Vivec after spending an entire day studying peasants* Zaphod Beeblebrox is a Trot

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Al! posted:

oh im an anarcho primitivist too, i should get in touch

I don't want to die staving and freezing in a cave but I would also like to not die from forever chemical cancer. if only there were some other alternative

Son of Sorrow
Aug 8, 2023

How are we supposed to have fun if you idiots chase off all the schizos. Do better.

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

More geometry plz

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

*floating like Vivec after spending an entire day studying peasants* Zaphod Beeblebrox is a Trot

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DaysBefore posted:

lmao

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Former Everything posted:

Once you are in the military, assuming that you are enlisted, you are suddenly exposed to a rigid class hierarchy in which you are the bottom. Your food is noticeably worse than the class above. Your lodging is noticeably worse. Your pay is noticeably worse. You must give constant obeisance to your betters in the form of salutes and greetings. You are to do your betters bidding without question. You are taught from the very beginning that, while you are a part of a proud military legacy, you are the unquestioning cannon fodder for the military strategy of your betters. But the true difference is that you are exposed to your betters, your ruling class, on a day to day basis.

For me this was literally what opened my eyes to the failures and contradictions of the liberal project.

Flournival Dixon posted:

I think about this sometimes too, I feel like whatever work it did for like racial solidarity it never feels like Vietnam did much for revolutionary potential in the states. As pissed off as everyone was at the embarrassing televised catastrophe of it all, nobody ever did anything meaningful about it, they just went full on into worthless hippy/anarchist poo poo.

I guess it's around the time when the government went all in on murdering the Marxist-Leninist vanguard that was the Black Panthers so it's hardly surprising that everyone just fell back on the American default of anarchism but it's depressing to think about how blatantly the entire history of the United States is nothing but a condemnation of the ineffectual nature of all of anarchism's basic tenants yet it's still the only widespread mode of anti-capitalist thought in the nation.

There was a coordinated media blackout on most of the actions of the BLA and other militant groups that makes the historical record and time period seem much more stable than it actually was. I think the 70's was much closer to a real revolutionary moment than it's portrayed as.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

DaysBefore posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodney The Yam II
Mar 3, 2007

Sadly, though perhaps not surprisingly, the epilogue of the illustrated Marx book goes into "China is capitalist actually, and bad" territory. The rest of the book is pretty good and it's nice that it tries to (briefly) cover all the points of Capital chapter-by-chapter. It's given me a lay of the land of the text, and I feel more motivated to read the original.