Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Velocity Raptor posted:

Specifically loan fraud.

Look, I just want to find 464,000,000 dollars, which is 463,999,999 than we have...

Abysmal snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1762961167167664586?t=_3Jr_K2IE536qusA-5Fiew&s=19

Cool so about a month from now we will get oral arguments on if Trump is God King.

Honestly lovely since it pushes the trial back even further.

God loving damnit

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Orthanc6 posted:

So... what happens if he can't pay this off? Considering the fraud is about over-valuing of assets, seems a real possibility even if he does sell everything he could come up short since no one has reason to believe anything he owns is actually worth what he claims.

Well a barrel of WTI crude oil is $75.83 today. He could sell all his stuff, sell the oil, wash the barrel out real good and wear it. Maybe then he'll have enough.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
He also might end up working at his favorite restaurant!

Caros
May 14, 2008

mdemone posted:

God loving damnit

From the sound of it, this is going to push the DC case past November. Georgia could theoretically get to trial before then, though that is probably wishful thinking, and we all know Florida isn't going anywhere.

So we pin our hopes on *checks notes* the boring new York case on one gives a poo poo about.

Assuming the Supreme Court doesn't have a stroke and give hum crime immunity.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

mdemone posted:

God loving damnit

This 6-3 ruling is gonna be amazing. At least Joe and the Democrats will be able to console themselves with the fact that they resisted the urge to politicize politicize the court maybe forever in a way that's not healthy, though.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Caros posted:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1762961167167664586?t=_3Jr_K2IE536qusA-5Fiew&s=19

Cool so about a month from now we will get oral arguments on if Trump is God King.

i mean the only ones i see signing off on agreeing with it is alito and thomas but even then it would mean a dem president could do whatever too. i could see roberts wanting to smother the bullshit in a court case so it has more offcial standing though. i dont see the GOP signing off on trumps "president has total immunity" bullshit.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I really wish I were in a line of work were I could agree to expedite my work to just 2 short months from now

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Tayter Swift posted:

Well a barrel of WTI crude oil is $75.83 today. He could sell all his stuff, sell the oil, wash the barrel out real good and wear it. Maybe then he'll have enough.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

mdemone posted:

God loving damnit

Hm, let's see what the pundits say

Only registered members can see post attachments!

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Tayter Swift posted:

You don't get the barrel with the crude, just the crude.

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

Caros posted:

From the sound of it, this is going to push the DC case past November. Georgia could theoretically get to trial before then, though that is probably wishful thinking, and we all know Florida isn't going anywhere.

So we pin our hopes on *checks notes* the boring new York case on one gives a poo poo about.

Assuming the Supreme Court doesn't have a stroke and give hum crime immunity.

Can't the 14th amendment case be re-filed to decide whether Trump is allowed to appear on the general election ballot?

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean the only ones i see signing off on agreeing with it is alito and thomas but even then it would mean a dem president could do whatever too. i could see roberts wanting to smother the bullshit in a court case so it has more offcial standing though. i dont see the GOP signing off on trumps "president has total immunity" bullshit.
SCOTUS can make as narrow or wide ruling as they want. They could say that immunity is granted in this specific case, and that it does not apply to any other instance, or set any precedent, for made-up reasons XYZ.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Dapper_Swindler posted:

He's gonna get away with it OP

Caros
May 14, 2008

SaTaMaS posted:

Can't the 14th amendment case be re-filed to decide whether Trump is allowed to appear on the general election ballot?

I mean they could. But in a 6-3 ruling...

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Caros posted:

I mean they could. But in a 6-3 ruling...

"In a 6-3 ruling, we find that REPUBLICAN presidents have full and total immunity for ALL actions they do, both as president and while running for office. :smug:"

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

B B posted:

This 6-3 ruling is gonna be amazing. At least Joe and the Democrats will be able to console themselves with the fact that they resisted the urge to politicize politicize the court maybe forever in a way that's not healthy, though.

I'm not sure what you're saying, would it actually be "amazing" as in "good" or "aligns with my worldview" if it is a conservative 6-3 ruling in favor of Trump? Can you explain your reasoning?

The second sentence also doesn't seem related to the first, I'm not sure what "Democrats" as a whole or Joe Biden has to do with the Supreme Court as there were no vacancies under a Democratic President while also having control of the Senate? By what method by "politicizing" the supreme court could Democrats have avoided a still entirely hypothetical outcome? I'm confused because you seem to suggest that such an outcome is good but also that Democrats should've done more to stop it, can you explain in detail?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Fart Amplifier posted:

Please let this be the start of the mattering

Caros posted:

lol

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

There will plenty of LOLs during the oral arguments too

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure what you're saying, would it actually be "amazing" as in "good" or "aligns with my worldview" if it is a conservative 6-3 ruling in favor of Trump? Can you explain your reasoning?

The second sentence also doesn't seem related to the first, I'm not sure what "Democrats" as a whole or Joe Biden has to do with the Supreme Court as there were no vacancies under a Democratic President while also having control of the Senate? By what method by "politicizing" the supreme court could Democrats have avoided a still entirely hypothetical outcome? I'm confused because you seem to suggest that such an outcome is good but also that Democrats should've done more to stop it, can you explain in detail?

Also there was talk of "packing the court" early on, where they would have expanded the court with x new justices which Dark Brandon would get to appoint all of, and he would clearly choose the leftest leftists ever, surely.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Not if they don't issue a ruling until December.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Caros posted:

From the sound of it, this is going to push the DC case past November.
I think your post is overstating things. It's more likely than it was before, but "more likely" (or the stronger lone "likely") and "is going to" have a wide gulf between them.

This is an extremely good time to mute or block any political pundits (and to an extent even lawfolk) who are making similar statements without hedging. They either don't know enough to know why they're loving up but talking about it anyway or they do know better and are betting you don't.

There's only one answer that can be delivered without any softening required: "Nobody knows".

Chutkan has already repeatedly made clear that she will not postpone the trial to accommodate Trump's campaigning. That was in the context of a spring start and summer resolution, so she may feel differently about a verdict in October or early November. May. Or she won't. I'm aware of no legal guidelines or precedents mandating that all trials are suspended or postponed after a certain date provided the defendant is a sufficiently credible candidate for a sufficiently important office. Which should be pretty obvious but :lol: at people taking anything related to this being obvious.

This delay absolutely could be enough to push the trial past election day. That outcome is more likely than it was yesterday. Some intelligent people (including quoted below) that I do find credible think this makes an election day prior to resolution the most likely outcome. None of that is "going to" and remembering to express that uncertainty is important.

Tayter Swift posted:

Hm, let's see what the pundits say

The context is that Ken's podcast has an amazing track record of recording just prior to relevant news breaking and he recorded earlier today. Whether the context (literally the two preceding posts (skeets?)) was missed or intentionally omitted, dropping it here without that context is deeply misleading. Especially as this thread tends to attract more traffic after breaking news like this.

For the record, Ken's actual thoughts (which were available at the time of that post):

quote:

Anyway this does make it significantly more likely that Trump can run out the clock and get elected before he gets convicted in federal court. Not certain, but significantly more likely.

This is an example of good and responsible punditry. As is the followup:

quote:

I’m also puzzling over whether the language “conduct alleged to involve official acts” is significant framing or limitation

For whatever my nonlawknower opinion is worth, I lean towards the former. It would be unlike this (or most, frankly) courts to leave something like the distinction between official and potentially criminal up to Justice guidelines and policies. Worth even less than the prior statement: I'm betting on a ruling that rejects absolute immunity and imposes some standard for determining what acts are covered by immunity... whether on the ministerial framing discussed during oral arguments on appeal, something broader like Nixon's "outer perimeter", or even something Hatch-centric granting immunity to defendant-as-president but not defendant-as-candidate-while-president

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Good News! New counsel from Oglaf!

(timg'd for language)

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

So, Jean E Carrol must be happy to hear that. Her $88 million is going to come due sooner than NY states $454. Will she be able to get that money before the state fine comes due?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If SCOTUS rules in favor of Trump, doesn't that mean Biden can just start assassinating people?

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

StumblyWumbly posted:

If SCOTUS rules in favor of Trump, doesn't that mean Biden can just start assassinating people?

I’m sure the USSC will pull a Bush v. Gore and say it only applies to this specific circumstance.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Paracaidas posted:

I think your post is overstating things. It's more likely than it was before, but "more likely" (or the stronger lone "likely") and "is going to" have a wide gulf between them.

This is an extremely good time to mute or block any political pundits (and to an extent even lawfolk) who are making similar statements without hedging. They either don't know enough to know why they're loving up but talking about it anyway or they do know better and are betting you don't.

There's only one answer that can be delivered without any softening required: "Nobody knows".

Chutkan has already repeatedly made clear that she will not postpone the trial to accommodate Trump's campaigning. That was in the context of a spring start and summer resolution, so she may feel differently about a verdict in October or early November. May. Or she won't. I'm aware of no legal guidelines or precedents mandating that all trials are suspended or postponed after a certain date provided the defendant is a sufficiently credible candidate for a sufficiently important office. Which should be pretty obvious but :lol: at people taking anything related to this being obvious.

This delay absolutely could be enough to push the trial past election day. That outcome is more likely than it was yesterday. Some intelligent people (including quoted below) that I do find credible think this makes an election day prior to resolution the most likely outcome. None of that is "going to" and remembering to express that uncertainty is important.

While nobody 'knows', one can certainly infer.

The court is hearing this issue on April 22. The mean time for the court to decide cases in April is 55 days. Yes, they could do a Bush V. Gore, but given that their expedited review on this matter is already putting us into April, that seems really unlikely. Late May is probably possible though June might be more likely. Five months to finish all pre-trial prep and conduct a trial for a former president during election season?

It is possible, but so unlikely that I'm confident in my belief that it isn't going to happen. If it does, great, I'm delighted.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Vire posted:

While this would be hilarious I don't think this will be his issue. He wants to retain as much cash as possible so that's why he isn't paying because it would empty out every cent of cash he has plus an asset or two and even if he was lying about having 400 million in liquid cash on hand some how with an external appointed court monitor he will have enough plus his assets to cover the bill. There is no way he is that short even if they are overleveraged to gently caress and cause a cascading effect because he doesn't have collateral and or loses a lot of money to taxes.

He might be short though. He never had vast amounts of properties. The stuff that he did have tend to be flashy stuff that was very overpaid for and he's sold off quite a bit. He still has property but it may not be half a billion worth especially at fire sale prices. Quite a bit of his stuff is pretty old and not up to modern standards -as obviously trumps to cheap to keep things up to scratch- so that's going to take down the price as well.

Edit: the one thing that might get him cash is his truth social thing going public. It by all rights should be worth gently caress all, but sometime tech bro's are known for investing a bunch in worthless crap, and if a foreign country wanted to give trump a bunch of cash that seems like it would be a super easy way for them to do it. Of course I believe he can't sell off his shares for something like six months so that doesn't help him at all here.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Feb 29, 2024

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Charlz Guybon posted:

So, Jean E Carrol must be happy to hear that. Her $88 million is going to come due sooner than NY states $454. Will she be able to get that money before the state fine comes due?

If the NY court approves the $100mm bond and she snags the money before he's able to post it and suddenly is $88mm short will be the most hilarious thing ever.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Also I assume the reason NY makes you put the bond up front for an appeal is because they know how hard it is to get people to actually pay. As it is notoriously hard to get trump to pay for anything, it would seem stupid not get the money from him upfront.

He's like one of the people that rule is specifically designed for.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Why would it be harder to get someone to pay after they lose their appeal, than after they lose the initial judgment? I’m not following that part.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

Why would it be harder to get someone to pay after they lose their appeal, than after they lose the initial judgment? I’m not following that part.

Because if they need to put up the money to appeal they have a reason to put up the money. They can't appeal without it. It's going to be all handled easily, no fuss.

After they loose the appeal then the court has much less leverage. Sure in the end they can just seize properties and what not but that's a whole process and the person who lost is going to be doing there best to fight the process the whole time. Cops may need to be called, to take places, maybe need a locksmith to get in. Possible the person may just burn down a place rather than hand it over.

When the person who lost is the one just giving it to you all in the first place it's just far, far easier.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Feb 29, 2024

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

dr_rat posted:

Because if they need to put up the money to appeal they have a reason to put up the money. They can't appeal without it.

After they loose the appeal then the court has much less leverage. Sure in the end they can just sizes properties and what not but that's a whole process and the person who lost is going to be doing there best to fight the process the whole time. When the person who lost is the one just giving it to you all in the first place it's just far, far easier.

So what if the person doesn’t appeal? I didn’t think most cases qualified for appeal in the first place, but honestly I don’t even really know the details of my own country’s law.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

dr_rat posted:

Because if they need to put up the money to appeal they have a reason to put up the money. They can't appeal without it.

After they loose the appeal then the court has much less leverage. Sure in the end they can just sizes properties and what not but that's a whole process and the person who lost is going to be doing there best to fight the process the whole time. When the person who lost is the one just giving it to you all in the first place it's just far, far easier.

You can still appeal without putting up the money, paying up just freezes collection activity. It would be hosed up if you couldn't appeal because you couldn't afford to.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

So what if the person doesn’t appeal? I didn’t think most cases qualified for appeal in the first place, but honestly I don’t even really know the details of my own country’s law.

Then you don't get that leverage and just hope the person isn't a massive rear end in a top hat and is going to compile with the courts. If they're not appealing that probably is a sign that they know they've lost and they're just going to go with the courts verdict.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

DarkHorse posted:

You can still appeal without putting up the money, paying up just freezes collection activity. It would be hosed up if you couldn't appeal because you couldn't afford to.

But very American.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

BDawg posted:

I’m sure the USSC will pull a Bush v. Gore and say it only applies to this specific circumstance.

"In a 6-3 decision, the court finds that Trump is too dumb to know he doesn't have presidential immunity, therefore he does. Contrasted to this, Biden knows full well he doesn't have presidential immunity, so therefore he does not."

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ah, the 'ol Catch-22

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Is there any charitable reading of why the Supreme Court would take up the Trump immunity case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

small butter posted:

Is there any charitable reading of why the Supreme Court would take up the Trump immunity case?

Bush v. Gore was decided in less than a week.