Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Rescue Toaster posted:

In theory jail time but not in practice. Presumably some fines, but pretty insignificant compared to the fraud trial.

Cohen spent a year in jail for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Random Stranger posted:

The supreme court was always going to grant cert. This is a legal issues that's approaching them from multiple circuits and it's a new legal question. Donnie is going to lose 9-0. They'll issue a ruling in May or June and Trump is in court arguing criminal charges at their height of the election. It's disappointing that they're not moving faster, especially when you consider how even the expedited schedule has significant consequences for the entire country whether you're pro-ending the US or anti-Trump, but this isn't something that really works in Trump's favor.

Johnson can do whatever he wants. There's no legal restrictions or parliamentary rules here. But the time to do that was last year before McCarthy got the boot. Now he's dealing with a pack of idiots who think they can still get a "win" out of this, and he's probably one of them. So they're going to keep throwing out budgets that won't pass in the house, couldn't pass the democrat senate, and has no chance in hell of Biden signing.

thats kinda what i think is gonna happen. I do think they are gonna take it up to crush it and at least hear out trumps arguments which has been dogshit so far.i think at most thomas or alito side with him.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Toxic Mental posted:

Good god this is a pathetic hit attempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3w58rAI6k

there's about 30 seconds of "hidden video" and judge barely says anything to him. lmao this is honestly pathetic.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Hollismason posted:

Cohen spent a year in jail for it.

I'm not sure why I keep seeing people say it seems unlikely for just the 'falsifying business records' I guess? Cohen had other stuff going on including tax issues and lying to congress.

It would be the loving king LOL of all time if Trump paying off a sex worker and then covering up the payments is what puts him behind bars. Far beyond even the Capone tax poo poo. Obviously it's important for you know, democracy, that they eventually get him on the other poo poo too. But it would be monumentally hilarious if NY gets him first on that.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Three Olives posted:

I imagine that it will be something like official acts, like you can’t be charged with like drone strikes but :lol: insurrections and robbing banks are not official acts.

If I have to guess, based on the plain language of the Constitution (Article II section 4), the President is immune from prosecution while he is President. And that immunity ends when he ceases to be President, whether that's due to the natural end of his term end or removal via impeachment. The now ex-President can then be charged with any crimes committed while he held the office, because otherwise impeachment (which can only result in removal from and ban on future office) would not be able to be followed by a conviction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

i still think it's funny that half of the US legislature threatens to shut the government down constantly

like imagine a factory where half of the workers/owners want to shut the factory down

or imagine a hospital where half of the doctors want to shut the hospital down

or imagine a government where half of the legislators want to shut the government down

lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Hollismason posted:

And your basis for this prediction?

They still haven't even set a date

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

kazil posted:

lol one week

So a restart in agency preparedness procedures, cool.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's going to be 9-0. Not even diehards like Thomas or Alito would agree that a President has blanket immunity from committing crimes.

They wanted to get their word on the record. Because that matters more to them than actual justice.

gently caress this complete joke of a justice system.

There’s value in clarifying that a President is not a king. But this is like ensuring the smoke detectors have batteries in the middle of a house fire.

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

jokes posted:

killing humans is illegal and the ruling says a human embryo is apparently a fully-formed human. IVF cannot be performed without disposal/MURDER of many human embryos.

in what universe can they pretend IVF is not illegal, but a necessary aspect of IVF is absolutely illegal? in what universe other than the current hell dimension of absurdity that we all unfortunately live in, I mean

making the prediction right now - the final bill the republican party agrees on will be that IVF is legal, but there needs to be a 3 hour prayer service for each non viable embryo discarded.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

It also doesn't take months and months. The Supreme Court could hear this case in a much shorter time, they chose not to

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Rescue Toaster posted:

In theory jail time but not in practice. Presumably some fines, but pretty insignificant compared to the fraud trial. The only real significance of the NY trial is it would be an actual guilty felony charge, making him an actual capital-F Felon.

The media often likes to show candidates voting on election day. Would be a real :lol: if Trump was a convicted felon by election day and ineligible to vote.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

post itt every time you lol that the papers are gonna print that Donald John "TRUMP" is poor

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dapper_Swindler posted:

It's going to be 9-0. Not even diehards like Thomas or Alito would agree that a President has blanket immunity from committing crimes.

They wanted to get their word on the record. Because that matters more to them than actual justice.

gently caress this complete joke of a justice system.

If 5 of them do make Biden King, he should act in it immediately

Preferably by removing those 5 and arresting Trump

Discount Dracula
Aug 15, 2003

Nap Ghost
Guys! I just remembered something!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
I don't know why there's this persistent assumption that the conservative judges give a poo poo about Trump personally. Christian nationalism, sure, Trump I don't see it. They denied all his dumb 2020 lawsuits.

I never felt there was a good chance he'd be convicted before the election (although the NY case has a chance). He has to be defeated at the ballot box. Of course him shuffling between his various trials all spring and summer is probably not great for his chances.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

HappyHippo posted:

I don't know why there's this persistent assumption that the conservative judges give a poo poo about Trump personally. Christian nationalism, sure, Trump I don't see it. They denied all his dumb 2020 lawsuits.

I never felt there was a good chance he'd be convicted before the election (although the NY case has a chance). He has to be defeated at the ballot box. Of course him shuffling between his various trials all spring and summer is probably not great for his chances.

if it hastens his descent into dementia, then the cases have done enough good quite frankly. Put him under as much loving stress as we can and let his brain crack like an egg, it might save us from christian fascism.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Discount Dracula posted:

Guys! I just remembered something!

SOLDIER died THREE TIMES

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

Jeremor posted:

if it hastens his descent into dementia, then the cases have done enough good quite frankly.

gently caress THAT! for the amount of time that rear end in a top hat has taken up residence in my brain, he deserves a deeper plunge in torturous insanity.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

when it's 8-1 or 9-0 against immunity there's going to be some spicy truths.

Carlos Lantana
Oct 2, 2003

I'm really sorry, your avatar is giving me a boner and while that is perfectly OK and I don't want to kink shame anyone, its making me feel really weird getting a boner in a Trump thread.

Sincerely,

Jailbrekr

kazil posted:

Boebert

A surprisingly mature take.

a publicist wrote this
she and her daydrunk hubby are out back wailing on him with a broom handle and a belt

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jeremor posted:

if it hastens his descent into dementia, then the cases have done enough good quite frankly. Put him under as much loving stress as we can and let his brain crack like an egg, it might save us from christian fascism.

Can't crack oatmeal! Stress just sinks in and dissolves like a spoonful of delicious brown sugar.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

big nipples big life posted:

STOLLEN BY A WITCH!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Carlos Lantana posted:

a publicist wrote this
she and her daydrunk hubby are out back wailing on him with a broom handle and a belt

That's only if he got RoRed

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

kazil posted:

Boebert

A surprisingly mature take.

Wow I was 100% expecting her to be caterwauling about how Tyler is unjustly attacked and defamed by the liberal anarcho-bidenist mob.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

kazil posted:

It also doesn't take months and months. The Supreme Court could hear this case in a much shorter time, they chose not to
Eh, not that much shorter, the normal timeline is granting of cert and then it shows up for arguments the next term, i.e., six months later at the earliest, with an opinion like another three months after. Easily it can be a year for most cases that have cert granted, here our timelineis measured in weeks and the delay is largely explained by wanting to be fully briefed by all parties including amicae before the oral argument. Since we're getting arguments this term, and likely a decision possibly even before the term ends, this is pretty well expedited. Maybe not as fast as Bush v. Gore, but no one's gonna say that was a model of decision making either.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

The media often likes to show candidates voting on election day. Would be a real :lol: if Trump was a convicted felon by election day and ineligible to vote.

I'm guessing he votes in Florida, and if their law even prevents people with felonies outside Florida, I'm sure they'll pass a law before November saying you can vote if your felony conviction was from a woke lib witchhunt.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah, I just don’t see them going for because his argument is just nixons in super steroids.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

All SCOTUS cases should be on the timeline of Bush v Gore :colbert:

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Let him do it anyway, then arrest him for voter fraud that you have on video of him doing

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Like from a purely self-serving view, why would the Supreme Court ever rule that someone was completely and forever beyond their ability to ever judge them?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

kazil posted:

They still haven't even set a date

The prosecution proposed a start date of August 5th. Even if its off by a month that still is enough time for the trial and such. I actually thought the trial date had been picked up its apparently just what the prosecutors wants.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

I'm holding out hope he can at least reach a high watermark of 3 writing in dissent that his situation deserves immunity but in no other cases

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

Funky See Funky Do posted:

They spent over 20 years making music.

Dookie is 30 years old

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Like from a purely self-serving view, why would the Supreme Court ever rule that someone was completely and forever beyond their ability to ever judge them?

They won't do that. But there's always a chance they come up with "Oh this is a special case that only we are smart enough to recognize, he's immune in this very special case because of these bullshit reasons, but you can't apply this to any other cases because we said so." They've done repeatedly before, for example Dobbs.

Most likely they are just happy to delay the trial as much as possible. Roberts wants credit for doing the reasonable thing of saying he's not immune, but there's plenty of people on the court who will happily gently caress with the trials just as revenge against libs even if they don't actually care about Trump.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Scags McDouglas posted:

I'm holding out hope he can at least reach a high watermark of 3 writing in dissent that his situation deserves immunity but in no other cases

I think that would work if the immunity thing wasn’t about him trying to overthrow the government. If it was some weird poo poo about foreign policy matters then maybe but with what the context is and his arguments. No.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

lol Trump is going to be convicted right around the same time the SCOTUS is going to rule he's not immune. That's gonna be quite the double whammy.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

DemihumanResources posted:

Dookie is 30 years old

So less than 20 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Good god this is a pathetic hit attempt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht3w58rAI6k

this is sad. also engoron needs to get some security asap.