Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, are any of the Avatar novels besides Kyoshi any good?

Also Kyoshi taking over Aang and just wrecking poo poo up was one of the highlights of the live action series to me

On the same note, the Netflix series also included something from the comics (the Mother of Faces first appeared in The Search) as well as something from Korra (the Fog of Lost Souls)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Covok posted:

Then, why can't Megas XLR be saved?

Because some things are too good for this world.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Yangchen was really cool. She approached the whole airbender thing quite differently from Aang since she was absolutely pragmatic and cunning. Which makes sense considering the one time Aang talked to her. I enjoyed that story.

Where there other books besides the two Kioshi ones and that one?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

cant cook creole bream posted:

Yangchen was really cool. She approached the whole airbender thing quite differently from Aang since she was absolutely pragmatic and cunning. Which makes sense considering the one time Aang talked to her. I enjoyed that story.

There’s apparently a Roku book coming out at some point (as well as another Korra graphic novel)

Illmade
Jan 17, 2024

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
PSYCORPS

Nothing is worth dying for, except Palestinians for Israel
So Aang straight up murders a ton of fire nation soldiers in the new show, shoving them off a castle wall during the prison break and throwing them into the freezing ocean as well as exploding one of their ships.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Sockser posted:

poo poo, there was a third season?

THERE SURE WAS

e: goddammit I'm still so mad it got cancelled, it was such a great show.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Illmade posted:

So Aang straight up murders a ton of fire nation soldiers in the new show, shoving them off a castle wall during the prison break and throwing them into the freezing ocean as well as exploding one of their ships.

Aang just merely sent them to the spirit realm it's okay

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, are any of the Avatar novels besides Kyoshi any good?

Also Kyoshi taking over Aang and just wrecking poo poo up was one of the highlights of the live action series to me

On the same note, the Netflix series also included something from the comics (the Mother of Faces first appeared in The Search) as well as something from Korra (the Fog of Lost Souls)

All the Kuruk stuff is from the books as well.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

There's a second Yangchen book.

I loved all the books and from Yangchen one of my favorite bits of added lore was about Avatar Szeto. Yangchen goes "he was amazing, why do I suck so bad?" And the reality is he spent his Avatar career as a Fire Nation bureaucrat/CPA. Something just delights me with the idea everyone during Yangchen's time is yearning for a man who was a professional boring person.

I would love it if they adapted the books into an animated show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

X-O posted:

All the Kuruk stuff is from the books as well.

How was the Kuruk book then?

Come to think of it, episode 2 might have incorporated some details from the Kyoshi books as well but I'm not 100% on that

But yeah, agreed that most of the novels would make decent shows or movies in their own right

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Feb 29, 2024

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Larryb posted:

How was the Kuruk book then?

All of Kuruk's stuff is in Kyoshi's book. The spirit stuff happened but to the outside world it kind of just looked like he hosed around and was the party Avatar. Its really good stuff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Fishylungs posted:

They should just do original stories IMO. I was keen about the idea of them jumping forward again, which IIRC was on the cards for a while, and this "Aang Gang but they're adults" movie thang is a bit... eh, hows it going, you know?

If we have to get IP, then people should move forward, make bold choices, be radical, make new statements. I hate all this self-cannibalism. It's just circling the drain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fishylungs posted:

All of Kuruk's stuff is in Kyoshi's book. The spirit stuff happened but to the outside world it kind of just looked like he hosed around and was the party Avatar. Its really good stuff.

Ah right, for some reason I thought they gave him a book too

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Illmade posted:

That's been pretty much subtext from the start, Avatar always did the DCAU thing of violence with plausible deniability because they don't outright confirm death, but from a grown up perspective you know that people do die in those battles.

Of course, the thing is that Aang may be able to accept that he can only pull his punches so much, and people are gonna die in battles, but actively setting out with the goal of killing someone is another thing.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, Azula always struck me as being a bit babyfaced even in animation. Her friends are basically a manic pixie athlete and a goth, and The Beach shows them acting more like a teen girl squad (guest starring Zuko) than a bunch of titled nobility that they are. The whole family is also shown to have youthful good looks, especially in their cleaned up formal outfits, and after all the build up Ozai being revealed as a pretty boy was quite the swerve when people expected a more conventional kind of villain with a sinister, intimidating appearance.

And her meltdown in the end also makes a lot of sense for someone who's living a mix of high school queen bitch and Joffrey-but-competent; she has literally no concept of how a healthy relationship works, and once her friends betray her despite the leverage she has over them, she suddenly has no reason to believe anyone would remain loyal to her.

Even if some of the parts of The Beach were too on-the-nose, it still gave us the best Azula line:
"My own mother thought I was a monster. :( ..........She was right, of course. But it still hurt. :colbert:"

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
pirate everything even if you have viable easy legal forms because pirates probably have better subtitles , your videoplayer is better than whatever webplayer they have and you can play at a higher quality from local storage than by web.

oh also when that tiny tiny tiny tree branch fucks up you neighborhood's power/telecom infrastructure your still have something

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

AlternateNu posted:

Even if some of the parts of The Beach were too on-the-nose, it still gave us the best Azula line:
"My own mother thought I was a monster. :( ..........She was right, of course. But it still hurt. :colbert:"

I still say so much about Azula's characterisation makes sense considering that she's looking up to Ozai as a role model- but he's a sociopath, and she isn't. She does have a self-critical attitude, and she genuinely enjoys the company of other people for its own sake, but her cruelty is a lot more performative and usually goal-oriented than Ozai lashing out at anything that gets in his way, and she can, sometimes, see other people's points of view- that's what makes her so good at manipulation. But eventually the contradictions ending up tearing her apart from the inside, and she's already done the work to defeat herself before the final confrontation even begins.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Fishylungs posted:

Kuruk was such a loser. I vaguely remember how Kyoshi wanted to communicate with the previous avatars but since he was the previous one, summoning him was the easiest. She just wanted to get past him to the good ones because his advice was just "When I first used the avatar state I messed up and drowned an island. That was a bummer. So don't do that. Oh and don't get your lovers face stolen by a demon, I guess. The rest of my life was mostly chill."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Open Source Idiom posted:

They should just do original stories IMO. I was keen about the idea of them jumping forward again, which IIRC was on the cards for a while, and this "Aang Gang but they're adults" movie thang is a bit... eh, hows it going, you know?

If we have to get IP, then people should move forward, make bold choices, be radical, make new statements. I hate all this self-cannibalism. It's just circling the drain.

So, with Paramount basically making GBS threads the bed right now, all of this is somewhat up the air, but the story moving forward is still the plan and still going ahead.

In the works at Avatar Studios right now, all animated, is the adult Gaang film which is kind of a big budget relaunch of the animated universe to generate buzz. It makes sense to use the Gaang for this and to cash in on their popularity. There's also a standalone Zuko film in development.

Meanwhile there's also a TV series in development that is about the next Avatar in the line, an Earth Bender.

All of these have been announced and are said to have varying art styles and be cribbing from various genres etc.

It seems the plan is that the TV series will be used to move things forward and tell stories with new characters in the evolving setting, whilst the films will be used to tell stories about existing characters that are somewhat more "fan pleasing".

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Somebody mentioned in the graphic novels that Azula isn't quite going for redemption but is becoming more Chaotic Neutral the further she gets away from her dad's influence and it's enjoyable to read.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kuruk was such a loser. I vaguely remember how Kyoshi wanted to communicate with the previous avatars but since he was the previous one, summoning him was the easiest. She just wanted to get past him to the good ones because his advice was just "When I first used the avatar state I messed up and drowned an island. That was a bummer. So don't do that. Oh and don't get your lovers face stolen by a demon, I guess. The rest of my life was mostly chill."

Eh, not really. His life was definitely not mostly chill. He pretty much destroyed his own life fighting a war that nobody knew about. And he hurt his own legacy and image in order to deal with the physical and mental toll the war with the spirits took on him because to the outside world it just looked like he didn't care. He was basically a drunk because of the PTSD he had. It looked like he was just loving around and doing nothing to the rest of the wold. He used to try and fight spirits and people just to try and get some manner of feeling again after all he'd been through. Kinda like how Korra did when she was recovering from being poisoned. And because of all that he was the Avatar that lived that shortest amount of time. And because the spirit war took him early and caused him to die young the physical world also went to poo poo because he couldn't handle all of it. Kuruk's life sucked and was not chill at all.

X-O fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 29, 2024

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

X-O posted:

Eh, not really. His life was definitely not mostly chill. He pretty much destroyed his own life fighting a war that nobody knew about. And he hurt his own legacy and image in order to deal with the physical and mental toll the war with the spirits took on him because to the outside world it just looked like he didn't care. He was basically a drunk because of the PTSD he had. It looked like he was just loving around and doing nothing to the rest of the wold. He used to try and fight spirits and people just to try and get some manner of feeling again after all he'd been through. Kinda like how Korra did when she was recovering from being poisoned. And because of all that he was the Avatar that lived that shortest amount of time. And because the spirit war took him early and caused him to die young the physical world also went to poo poo because he couldn't handle all of it. Kuruk's life sucked and was not chill at all.

Yeah, now that you mention it, that does ring a bell, yes. I think Kyoshi's low opinion of him turned around at the end? But his legacy in the eyes of the public was completely trashed.

I bet along the line there must have been some versions which were just downright incompetent.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow they really assassinated Bumi's character

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Yeah, now that you mention it, that does ring a bell, yes. I think Kyoshi's low opinion of him turned around at the end? But his legacy in the eyes of the public was completely trashed.

I bet along the line there must have been some versions which were just downright incompetent.

Yea she wrapped up the stuff with Father Gloworm and was like "poo poo, no wonder you died young!"

He also wanted to bang Kyoshi's firebending master but she was engaged so everyone told him "bro, don't." And it hosed him up more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody mentioned in the graphic novels that Azula isn't quite going for redemption but is becoming more Chaotic Neutral the further she gets away from her dad's influence and it's enjoyable to read.

Now that's a scary yet entertaining thought.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Sockser posted:

poo poo, there was a third season?

Listen, it was destroyed so all I'll say is that there is always you know. And the creator even supports it at this point.

Fishylungs posted:

There's a second Yangchen book.

I loved all the books and from Yangchen one of my favorite bits of added lore was about Avatar Szeto. Yangchen goes "he was amazing, why do I suck so bad?" And the reality is he spent his Avatar career as a Fire Nation bureaucrat/CPA. Something just delights me with the idea everyone during Yangchen's time is yearning for a man who was a professional boring person.

You do have to think about it from the standpoint of living in the world. It must have been great for people in power that the Avatar spent all his time not using his power and just counting beans for one nation. What a way to ensure that he wasn't disruptive to the status quo. Hell, even with that snide remark, it must even be nice for those who aren't being seriously hosed hard by society because the Avatar has a track record of throwing their lives into chaos. Someone just doing taxes for a living with godly powers reminds me of a batman quote that went roughly like:

"Sometimes, Clark and I hang out and have drinks. He jokes and laughs and I can't see him as anything else than human. Then, I see him fight aliens, gods, and monsters, lift mountains, and traverse space in seconds and I can't see him as anything else than a god. And I will be always thankful that he doesn't see himself as such."

Sure, it's great the Avatar always wants to help, but one thing Yangchen mentions in the novel is, since she is dangerously too close to her past lives and has spoken to many of them, she realized that even with the wisdom of all those lives that she still can make dumb mistakes and that she isn't perfect. The novel is also amazing for having a real examination of what being the Avatar means to someone that intune with their past lives. They have lived a 1000 lives and know that they will live 1000s more. There is a great scene where she legitimately sees it as a curse because she so desperately wants to escape this cycle of pain, but knows she cares too deeply about people and their problems that she never could make herself do so. And it's handled so well too because she is sad earlier in the novel because she couldn't save a woman's baby and, as she is having her doubts and thinking of running, she is informed the child was found and saved thanks to her efforts, and the rush of joy makes her realize she can never stop helping people no matter how much this world breaks her and, God, what a curse that truly is to an unending being.

Also, Avatars have a habit of loving things up. Like, Yangchen pissing the spirits off so much armies of dark spirits invade, Kuruk trying to fix this by killing dark spirits and setting the spirit world out of balance and making enemies, Kyoshi making the Dai Li and helping the Fire Lord consolidate power away from the Imperial Court so he can rule uncontested, Roku for turning a blind eye to his friend and helping him amass power for the 100 year war, and you get the idea. So, it must be nice to have a boring Avatar. Think of the old phrase "may you live in interesting times."

Back in the day, they absolutely would have. Back before the 2010s and the MCU when secondary media didn't matter as much. But, when Disney bought Star Wars, it felt like there was this tide shift and now all corporations policed their secondary media like hawks for consistency and control. The first comics DID move the timeline forward. But, just as Korra was going to (and, frankly, kind of failing hard with the nazi apologia that was "Ruins of the Empire" comic), this shift happened when Paramount realized Avatar was popular. Then the comics that pushed Aang and Korra's timeline forward slowed down and even went on hold for a while. We just got the first timeline pushing comic "Azula in the Spirit Temple" in two years after two years of just doing "in-between" stories. Avatar is Paramount's focus now so they won't dare move too forward in secondary media lest they want to make a new Avatar series about an Earth Avatar or whatnot.

PriorMarcus posted:

So, with Paramount basically making GBS threads the bed right now, all of this is somewhat up the air, but the story moving forward is still the plan and still going ahead.

In the works at Avatar Studios right now, all animated, is the adult Gaang film which is kind of a big budget relaunch of the animated universe to generate buzz. It makes sense to use the Gaang for this and to cash in on their popularity. There's also a standalone Zuko film in development.

Meanwhile there's also a TV series in development that is about the next Avatar in the line, an Earth Bender.

All of these have been announced and are said to have varying art styles and be cribbing from various genres etc.

It seems the plan is that the TV series will be used to move things forward and tell stories with new characters in the evolving setting, whilst the films will be used to tell stories about existing characters that are somewhat more "fan pleasing".

The thing about the new Avatar series about the Earth Avatar, I head, was just a rumor from a defunct fansite. I don't think it was ever officially confirmed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Covok posted:

Back in the day, they absolutely would have. Back before the 2010s and the MCU when secondary media didn't matter as much. But, when Disney bought Star Wars, it felt like there was this tide shift and now all corporations policed their secondary media like hawks for consistency and control. The first comics DID move the timeline forward. But, just as Korra was going to (and, frankly, kind of failing hard with the nazi apologia that was "Ruins of the Empire" comic), this shift happened when Paramount realized Avatar was popular. Then the comics that pushed Aang and Korra's timeline forward slowed down and even went on hold for a while. We just got the first timeline pushing comic "Azula in the Spirit Temple" in two years after two years of just doing "in-between" stories. Avatar is Paramount's focus now so they won't dare move too forward in secondary media lest they want to make a new Avatar series about an Earth Avatar or whatnot.

Yeah, you're probably right and that kinda sucks. It's the same nonsense that infects all metric driven art, where new storytelling is primarily influenced by the analysis of old material. Everything becomes a remix, or some fill in the gaps exercise. It's staid and boring.

Like, a completely new avatar cycle isn't even that big an ask, since it's still "IP driven franchise content" (vom) but it represents an unknown and therefore a risk.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Yeah, you're probably right and that kinda sucks. It's the same nonsense that infects all metric driven art, where new storytelling is primarily influenced by the analysis of old material. Everything becomes a remix, or some fill in the gaps exercise. It's staid and boring.

Like, a completely new avatar cycle isn't even that big an ask, since it's still "IP driven franchise content" (vom) but it represents an unknown and therefore a risk.

If it makes you feel better, Star Wars itself went through this from the 1970s to the 1990s. It moved the plot forward but it was all rehashes. Eventually, the money dries up and then you got to blow up the setting and bring in the Yuuzhan Vong. By the time Disney bought Star Wars, they were entering Legacy II following Ania Solo 1000 years after the end of original series.

When it was just Star Wars and Superhero comics doing this poo poo, it was tolerable, even endearing as a quirk of those mediums to just never end and be these eternal soap operas for nerds. Now, every company does it and it has just become another cog in the gear of capitalism killing art as a concept at the altar of quarterly profits.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Mar 3, 2024

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I like that a few notes of plucking cello jazz play in "The Headband" when Aang was using old "flamey-o, hotman" slang. I liked the slow string music that plays during the final Zuko vs. Azula fight.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 5, 2024

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Watching more of nu-Avatar with my fiance and who the hell thought that "friends good vs. friends bad" and "why can't someone just tell me how to be the avatar :(" were good or compelling character arcs for Aang Jesus Christ

also incredible that they decided "why doesn't daddy love me" was such a good plotline for Zuko that they decided to do it again twice with Azula and Sokka.

e: the writing is so bad aaaagggghghhh

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
animated aang: Yeah Katara Pakku is an rear end in a top hat the hell with that jerk!

live action Aang: I'm sorry katara but have you considered the old sexist dude is right and you should give up on your dreams?

Frankly speaking the most impressive part about this show is how every change they made retroactively makes the original series look better because it makes you realize how well written and thoughtful it was, especially in comparison.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I never liked the sexist water bending stuff.

Everything else in the Avatar world is gender equal. We see no discrimination in any position or job - apart from between warring nations.

Then, out of nowhere, the Water nation decides to ignore half of their benders. You'd think such idiotic notions would have been thrown aside during 100 years of war as a 'luxury' they couldn't afford.

But bigotry is nothing if not stupid, I suppose.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

the only real change they made for Sokka and Hakoda's relationship is that now Sokka's already done his ice dodging trial, and he absolutely biffed it. I would argue that his arc isn't "why doesn't daddy love me" and more "I have to accomplish something to prove he didn't do it just because I'm his son" which he absolutely does by the end of the season. The worst thing they can do is have Hakoda brush off his accomplishments when they are inevitably reunited.

Also, the stuff with Azula was already there in the original, what the gently caress are you talking about? All they've done is give us more time with Ozai to show off how much of a loving rear end in a top hat and monster he is (that and having Azula actually act like a 14 year old instead of a 20-something in the body of a 14 year old like in the original)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah I haven't watched the new show but daddy issues was already a part of Sokka and Azula's (and Katara's!) characters in the original. There are a lot of daddy issues in Avatar. Like maybe they hammered it in to fill time or something but that struck as a weird complaint.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I'm specifically upset because I'm watching the last two episodes right now, and with Azula especially literally all her screen time is pointless training scenes with the camera zoomed in way too close to her face whining why doesn't daddy think she's good enough yet, with Mai and Ty Lee commentating off to the side. Azula certainly had daddy issues in the original, but not like this.

e: Zhao is fantastic though his actor is having a great time

double edit: why does he need a special spirit killing knife though? he already said the spirits were giving up their immortality for one night! it's like they made so many pointless changes they can't keep them all straight.

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 5, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mai and Ty Lee were so ridiculously wasted

many things in this remake seemed to exist solely to please the fans at the expense of narrative coherence, except that they did just as many things that had absolutely no chance of pleasing the fans

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

They're not wasted. They didn't even appear in the first season of the original show. We're just being introduced to them for a few scenes ahead of anything they did in the cartoon. There's a lot of things you can think are not done well, but them being wasted is just not accurate at all when they didn't even appear here in the original.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

No, it's accurate, they were completely wasted and pointless additions, barely even being themselves and just standing still the entire time. It was garbage.

People can like the show if they want but I'm not going to change my opinion that much of it was just really direly bad. And a lot of the additions added next to nothing, while taking away time that could have gone to provide better characterization to the main cast.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Finished! Boy that was bad.

Various observations:

-The show in general has a really bad habit of simply wasting time — there are a lot of scenes and lines of dialogue that are dedicated towards telling the audience things we already know or could easily infer. It's arguably at its worst in the first episode when they were constantly flashing back to things that happened earlier in the episode, but it's a problem throughout the series.

-The show clearly wants to strike a more mature tone, what with burning a man to death on-screen within the first few minutes and outright showcasing the massacre at the Southern Air Temple, but the themes and dialogue are often far less mature than what was in the original show. One of the biggest examples of this is Aang's meeting with Koh, where what was once a dangerous but ultimately helpful encounter with an enigmatic spirit is badly reduced to Aang simply trying to save his friends from a monster that wants to eat them. Which was a real shame since Koh legitimately looked cool as hell.

-On that note! The costumes, sets, and backgrounds looked fantastic. It looks exactly like what you'd want an Avatar show to be, and that's a real achievement.

-The fights are mostly okay, the fight choreography is pretty lacking imo and outside of firebending the bending effects are mostly so-so.

There's a whole bunch more that I can get into but suffice it to say, there was a lot of potential to make a good series here but it's really let down by a cruddy script. It has the feel of a script that wasn't created, iterated, and polished, but instead was constantly thrown out and we simply got the last first draft that was approved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Acebuckeye13 posted:

-The show clearly wants to strike a more mature tone, what with burning a man to death on-screen within the first few minutes and outright showcasing the massacre at the Southern Air Temple, but the themes and dialogue are often far less mature than what was in the original show. One of the biggest examples of this is Aang's meeting with Koh, where what was once a dangerous but ultimately helpful encounter with an enigmatic spirit is badly reduced to Aang simply trying to save his friends from a monster that wants to eat them. Which was a real shame since Koh legitimately looked cool as hell.
It's so strange, right? Like, they want to appeal to Game of Thrones fans but don't actually want to take risks, so it still has the feeling of a kid's show. They loving pull a near-death on, of all characters, Momo, who has been on screen for maybe 45 seconds of footage in the entire season, just to get Sokka and Yue to a specific location. Like that could've been a human character that viewers actually made a connection with, in danger. I legitimately do not understand a lot of the decisions they made. Why did Zhao's acting raise in campiness episode by episode? Why did they assassinate Bumi's character? Why did they not allow Aang to be the kid that he is for even one scene, vs having him soliloquy on and on about how he has a burden of responsibility? How do you take a property that is as fun as the cartoon was, and suck all of the joy out of it?