Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Onmi posted:

I continue to have extremely dumb Balatro runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Twice in a row i've gotten to the boss with the plasma deck and both times the big purple idiot was too tall for me to climb. Chip decks can get me there but even with the favorable rules it seems like none of the chip jokers have the explosive power to beat it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I understand logically what Plasma Deck does but it seems like it would be very very very complicated to play at a high level.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Love getting a Yorick on my Burglar run

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Plasma isn't really that complicated in the end, you either stack as many flat chips as you can or as much multiplier multiplier as you can. The more balanced your chips & multi are to begin with, the less value the deck gives you which you need with the doubled blind requirements.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I don't understand how you're meant to do the top two or three stakes without resetting the first ante until you get the perfect start. The scaling immediately outpaces anything other than a very small amount of useable options.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

The "no reward from small blinds" also means the optimal way to play Ante 1 at the top stakes is to restart until you get a good tag or you can clear the first round in one hand for maximum money

I know it's a self-inflicted hell of my own choice but i'll say it anyway: it's not that fun lmao

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

It honestly kinda needs to be toned down. It feels like the 'clear gold stake with every joker' achievement might not even be actually possible.

Change the no reward for small blinds into something else at least. That alone would make it more bearable since if you aren't using yellow deck or clearing it in one go there's zero reason to even take the first one.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
For one thing I think we need to increase the starting amount of money to 5 dollars. If you know you can at least get a couple bucks out of the Small Blind, then you at least have the option to play it if the tag isn't worth skipping for.

But yes, I agree that at high levels the game pretty much becomes Hold R Simulator until you get a tag or a good shop or something, because the game scales so fast that anything else is futile.

Einwand posted:

Plasma isn't really that complicated in the end, you either stack as many flat chips as you can or as much multiplier multiplier as you can. The more balanced your chips & multi are to begin with, the less value the deck gives you which you need with the doubled blind requirements.

So you're going all in on one or the other, as opposed to the other decks, which want balance. Neat.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

If it weren't for the last deck being locked behind an orange clear I wouldn't be so frustrated with this, I think. Purple has been a hard wall and it's so aggravating having maybe 1 in 15 starts be even close to viable.

I still love this game to death but the stakes need some balancing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

This is the only good dreckbuilder also I keep loving up

It's great

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MJeff posted:

I understand logically what Plasma Deck does but it seems like it would be very very very complicated to play at a high level.

Just go chips. Multipliers suck for it because chips get counted unless they're invalid for the boss. You can easily get through Ante 8 just by only taking plus chip jokers and avoiding planets.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

My latest fuckup was triggering DNA against The Mouth and then being completely caught off guard when it would only let me score high cards.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

If I could just a red seal on these the plan would be coming together beautifully.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

When/how do eternal jokers start showing up? I've unlocked all the decks except the ones you need to beat higher-than-white stakes on, and won on white stakes with all of them but one, and I've yet to see one.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Lugubrious posted:

When/how do eternal jokers start showing up? I've unlocked all the decks except the ones you need to beat higher-than-white stakes on, and won on white stakes with all of them but one, and I've yet to see one.

Black stake, the fourth difficulty.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Color Printer posted:

Black stake, the fourth difficulty.

Thanks! Been working mostly on unlocking stuff rather than pushing stakes, but that would explain why I haven't found any.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

!

Wasn't expecting a Purple Stakes win tonight! Honestly this could have exploded any time in the last Ante, and was as much down to luck as anything else. Starting to think that's the only way you can win on purple+, even with a really good start. Picked up the last joker throughout these runs too, so all I need to do is win on Orange and that's the Collection 100% completed.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

I’m playing Black Deck on just White Stake and gently caress this poo poo, I barely even get a chance to get a joker! I’m on tilt baby!!!!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, here's another thing about the high stakes that annoys the hell out of me.

I see Polychrome Joker on a tag. Great. This might give me an early boost. I take the tag and fight the first boss, scrape by with enough money to buy my Polychrome Joker. The Joker doesn't spawn in the shop because there's two consumables instead. I leveraged the start of my run to try and get some early power, successfully beat the boss and got nothing for it. Now I'm staring down a 1,000 Small Blind and a 1,500 Big Blind with a naked deck. Jesus Christ.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Finally reached ante 12 thanks to the abandoned deck!

Where i promptly got smite by the small blind with 26 million out of 300 million required

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

MJeff posted:

Okay, here's another thing about the high stakes that annoys the hell out of me.

I see Polychrome Joker on a tag. Great. This might give me an early boost. I take the tag and fight the first boss, scrape by with enough money to buy my Polychrome Joker. The Joker doesn't spawn in the shop because there's two consumables instead. I leveraged the start of my run to try and get some early power, successfully beat the boss and got nothing for it. Now I'm staring down a 1,000 Small Blind and a 1,500 Big Blind with a naked deck. Jesus Christ.

It shouldn't consume your tag though. If you can beat the next blind it'll pop then if the joker drops I think. Would it pop if you opened a pack?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
me, a brain genius: The Water? heh, easy boss blind, my banner build doesn't care about using discards anyhow

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MJeff posted:

Hate to break it to you but higher stakes are about rerolling constantly til you get a good start. If you don't you'll just get frustrated by the lack of economy and the inevitable loss. I pretty much skip until I get money tags, free jokers, or free shop.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

This is a fun game but I realised during my fifth run that I would prefer to have it on my mobile. It's one of those games that would be amazing and eating up time when you're stuck outside at the airport or something.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Man, I keep farting out at ante 7 on white stakes. I just don't seem to get enough chips/multi to squeak past. I'm enjoying the black deck and buying out the store though

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Doltos posted:

Hate to break it to you but higher stakes are about rerolling constantly til you get a good start. If you don't you'll just get frustrated by the lack of economy and the inevitable loss. I pretty much skip until I get money tags, free jokers, or free shop.
i think that's really my primary complaint about balatro right now is that the high stakes end up decimating the economy too much. i think the issue ultimately comes down to the multiplicative effects of black stake, blue stake, and gold stake.

the other stakes like booster packs going up in price or no small blind money is fine. but black stake is a massive reroll tax, blue stake means it's much harder to game your deck for value plays or money and gold stake makes things even worse.

imo there should be more negative joker effects under black stake that don't penalize low end jokers as much, blue stake should be +1 ante required for a win and gold stake could be something like cursed tags which come along with positive tags. if you want that polychrome joker card, gotta run the risk of getting a tag that adds cursed aces to your deck or something.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

sirtommygunn posted:

After 30 hours I'm getting kind of tired. I hope they keep adding stuff.

Insane value even at 30 hours imo

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The full game's only a week old, I suspect as players get better at crunching numbers the skill ceiling is going to get pushed higher.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

The full game's only a week old, I suspect as players get better at crunching numbers the skill ceiling is going to get pushed higher.
balatro at higher stakes is a lot more limited in your options and how you can interact with the game meaningfully. in lower stakes this is fine because you can last until like the end of ante 3 on the basic 4x multi joker and nothing else. but at higher stakes the ante rises fast enough that you need a better set of jokers to get off the ground and the game limits your ability to manipulate your deck for high value play, making it more reliant on shop and tag rng.

i suspect the skill ceiling will get pushed higher but i don't think it'll be much higher.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

One thing I wish you could do would be to set up the start, without it being a seeded run. I get that rng is part of the game and theme, but something as simple picking your first tag on Ante 1, maybe among a limited set, would smooth out a lot of the early resets

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Matador not paying $8 when each card played costs $1 is bullpoo poo.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I will forever be chasing the high of having a negative Midas Joker, plus the one where all cards are considered face cards, and a holographic vampire with a blueprint next to it. It's taste will never leave my mouth and it's sweet nostalgia will drive me to madness

throw in splash... hnghhh

actually no that wouldn't matter. midas golds everything played, not everything scored. splash would actually make it way worse. neverminnnnnd

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Bald Stalin posted:

Matador not paying $8 when each card played costs $1 is bullpoo poo.

I agree. It should pay out 7 dollars a card. Or at least 3 dollars for a full hand.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

FZeroRacer posted:

i think that's really my primary complaint about balatro right now is that the high stakes end up decimating the economy too much. i think the issue ultimately comes down to the multiplicative effects of black stake, blue stake, and gold stake.

the other stakes like booster packs going up in price or no small blind money is fine. but black stake is a massive reroll tax, blue stake means it's much harder to game your deck for value plays or money and gold stake makes things even worse.

imo there should be more negative joker effects under black stake that don't penalize low end jokers as much, blue stake should be +1 ante required for a win and gold stake could be something like cursed tags which come along with positive tags. if you want that polychrome joker card, gotta run the risk of getting a tag that adds cursed aces to your deck or something.

i think it's this. the game's the most fun when you have a really wide array of viable options to build your deck, and you are constantly responding to the shop, blind skips, etc. by making decisions about your build.

these options narrow dramatically at higher stakes, by the time you get to orange you're re-rolling your start over and over again, and playing the first ante entirely on autopilot. a lot of the jokers are more or less useless and a bunch more of them become useless outside of a very specific context. money is extremely tight and every dollar of interest is precious so if you don't hit a good shop, time to hit restart. even hitting a single re-roll sucks rear end. you're making less decisions about your build, not more, and auto-piloting the game to see what your first few RNG rolls are.

i've unlocked every deck now but orange stake was annoying and kinda soured me on the game a bit. and gold stake looks much worse.

it's still a great game but the stakes need an overhaul for sure. the game's too easy without them, and not fun to play with them.

monochromagic
Jun 17, 2023

Playing on PS5 which is on an earlier version, so still hitting pre-nerf The Arm. :owned:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

monochromagic posted:

Playing on PS5 which is on an earlier version, so still hitting pre-nerf The Arm. :owned:

on switch can relate :(

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baseball Card + duplicator Joker is stupidly broken if you have multiple uncommon Jokers. :staredog:

Does it count Rare and Legendaries as well or only Uncommon?

Dr. Mantis Toboggan
May 5, 2003

Only Uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Jossar posted:

Wasn't expecting a Purple Stakes win tonight! Honestly this could have exploded any time in the last Ante, and was as much down to luck as anything else. Starting to think that's the only way you can win on purple+, even with a really good start. Picked up the last joker throughout these runs too, so all I need to do is win on Orange and that's the Collection 100% completed.

Woke up this morning and won a quick orange run! Everything I said above pretty much applies here too: For most of the game I had a Holographic Rocket that combined with a Seed Money voucher to enhance my economy to the point where I could still keep up with the ever-increasing booster costs without sacrificing too much of a scoring Joker. Despite that, on some level I stand by the idea that unless you're having really bad money troubles, most of the time what sinks you on Orange is the same as would sink you on Purple anyway, since even then the victory was pretty much entirely dependent on a last minute Vampire and a lucky Ancient Joker.

This also marks 100% completion of the Collection, though 100%ing the game leaves a long way to go (and that's apart from those two Steam achievements that I mentioned before which are entirely separate from Balatro's internal tracker, though a pop up will still appear in-game when you get them). Gonna take a break from climbing tonight: if I play the game at all, it's gonna be Challenges and messing around with the newly unlocked Erratic Deck.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 29, 2024