Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Uh-oh I don’t understand Queen’s Blood at all

Made short:

The board is made up of 3 lanes (top, middle, bottom.)
You can only play cards on a spot in that lane that has a green light.
You can play a card on that green light and it will claim that spot as well as allow you to claim more space on surrounding spots, depending on the area shown on the card. However if an enemy claims that zone it will change to red and you can't place your card there unless you re-reclaim it.
If you 'claim' the same spot more than once it will get two and eventually three green lights. More powerful cards require a 2 or 3 light zone.
Each card you play has a point value. This value is a combination of HP and score. When a match ends, each lane is tallied up. Whoever has the most points in that lane will win the lane, and the combined value of all those points will be added to the winning player's pot. The losing player gets nothing.
Whoever has the biggest pot at the end of the game wins. So you can win by having one really really strong lane or two weaker lanes.
Eventually you'll get introduced to cards that debilitate other cards. This reduces their value and if the value goes to 0 they will be destroyed, meaning that spot can now be claimed again.
The game ends when both players skip their turns. This means if you don't have a card or want to play a card and you are in the lead at the moment you can skip your turn, which can be useful.

There's a lot more complexity including different rule sets, cards with unique abilities, cards that transform, cards that alter the playing field, or rules of the game, etc.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 29, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm preloaded and none too soon, off till Monday and have a fresh pitcher of ice tea, gonna be a good time.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Welp I accidentally clicked on the Spoiler thread

And actually did not get spoiled on anything since people were still pretty good about tagging stuff there. So thanks for that! :v:

Ny favorite part is where [spoiler]Sephy makes Cloud hack into the Squeenix servers and delete any Deus Ex projects[spoiler]

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

rebirth is out now, restart Steam.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

stupid countdown, just let me in

e: (opening scene) what exactly did you expect to happen when you blew up the helicopter twice?

stuker fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Feb 29, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am just vibing at the main menu... It's been a long day and I'm tired... Maybe I'll just play a bit

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Anyone else's ff7r save data not being recognized?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When does the option to skip the demo appear?

It said in the main menu that I could do it but now that I'm in chapter 1 and go to the system menu it says I need to finish this chapter

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

When does the option to skip the demo appear?

It said in the main menu that I could do it but now that I'm in chapter 1 and go to the system menu it says I need to finish this chapter

A little bit up the mountain. Extremely bizarre way to do that.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Performance mode looks drastically better to me, way more of an improvement than I expected. Haven't gotten to any open-world stuff yet, but the Nibelheim stuff no longer looks like I need a new glasses prescription.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ytlaya posted:

Performance mode looks drastically better to me, way more of an improvement than I expected. Haven't gotten to any open-world stuff yet, but the Nibelheim stuff no longer looks like I need a new glasses prescription.

This is great to hear because the demo performance mode was dire.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JBP posted:

This is great to hear because the demo performance mode was dire.

From what I've seen others say it's a subtle difference (which is why I was surprised), but it's pretty drastic to me. I was originally planning on manipulating my TV's settings to somehow play in Graphics mode, but Performance mode (with no TV shenanigans) will definitely be fine if it keeps looking like this.

Apparently what they did might replace the blurriness with jaggery edges (from what the Digital Foundry review says), but it's nothing I've noticed (though I sit a decent distance from the screen).

Edit: I'm excessively happy/relieved about this. I had been psyching myself up to tolerate some deficiency in the visuals (either the framerate on Graphics or blurriness on Performance) so it owns that I'll be able to just freely enjoy it without worrying about that.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 29, 2024

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

limp dick calvin posted:

A little bit up the mountain. Extremely bizarre way to do that.

Ah I see.

I guess they wanted you to see the opening credits no matter what lol

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well, due to modem issues I can't download the game completely, but I did download enough to at least get through Nibelheim (the demo portion at least).

Also oh my lord I just realized something that I can't believe I missed from the demo (Big spoilers for OG FF7): When you talk to the Grunt that is actually Cloud, he talks in Zack's voice. Those were actual things Zack said to him in Nibelheim.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
They should have cut to the scene in the reactor. How am I supposed to know how to turn wheels if I don't see the tutorial?
Oh, well, at least I'll know how to do the crawling minigame.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Kalm is loving gorgeous after junkheap Midgar and dustball Nibelheim, dang.

Just started up Queens blood. I... I think I might be in trouble here

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RatHat posted:

It’s not like I want gore but the T rating really hurts some scenes in these games

Finished Intermission just in time and I take back what I said, they actually showed some blood this time. Goddamn is everything related to Dirge of Cerberus so edgelordy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoy how cloud immediately says "Yes I have a bunch of folios, a thing that has always been a part of this game"

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Cloud, audibly nervous: “Yeah, I know what folios are, I’m a soldier.”

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hoooly gently caress

I'm all in on queen's blood

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Welp can’t play anymore until I get my internet fixed. Dang.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
First cutscene and I’m already confused, very good

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I know it's just modern games, but:
  • Every new location gets sweeping establishing shots of its area and people
  • If it's a town, an official will appear and tell you what the deal is with their town
  • Every enemy/boss in a story area gets a cutscene to introduce it, and usually a death cutscene.

You know, all things the player would usually explore through actual gameplay? Almost feels like it was designed for being youtubed in ALL CUTSCENES MOVIE 4K format, because you will not be confused!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Vitamean posted:

hoooly gently caress

I'm all in on queen's blood

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Game was shipped royal mail 24hour delivery yesterday afternoon so now I just need to hope it doesn't arrive on the later side.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Huh, the sheet music in the Nibelheim flashback isn’t there in the full game

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Holy poo poo, literally opening the game with Aerith dying as the White Materia falls to the ground and bounces is just sheer loving cheek. (And it feels very silly to be spoiler-tagging something that happens within 15 minutes of hitting New Game, but not everyone has their copy and not everyone who bought digital has played it yet, so better to err on the side of politeness.) Yes, Nomura, "Are we really gonna kill Aerith again? Did we dare to do it even with all of you knowing what's coming, or did we dare to mess with the single most iconic moment in all of Final Fantasy history" is the question hanging over this entire game, we know.

Anyway I have to sleep and then do a job because apparently I'm not allowed to play video games if I don't have any money and/or am dead, which is obnoxious, but what can you do. First hour or so is pretty fun, doesn't seem like they messed with a working formula, and I can only assume the very long pause and blackout screen every time you sit on a bench to restore your HP/MP is a stylistic choice? Because there's no way it's a hardware thing and it somehow feels even longer than it did in Remake.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
Played 4 hours so far - at least 1 of those is just doing Queens Blood

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God this limping sucks

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I expected the game to have the gameplay it has at the start but I didn't expect it to be at the start, pretty fun little surprise.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I know Grasslands is probably just the "tutorial zone" but game seems a decent bit easier than the first. Thought Junon demo had solid enough difficulty with the Intel Fiends but most of the Grasslands ones have been cake walks outside of the final one. Hope the enemies pick up a little soon.

Everything else has been great though. Loving the game, and its just just nice to be back with the party again. Love all these guys.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't play the junon demo because I didn't want to see much of the game. Glad I did it.

I have done some wandering in the field. Fought some mobs and met a guy with a truck then had to quit. It's been fun so far with the characters. I've left the game on quality mode. My eyes adjusted fine and if you leave the camera alone it's no worries. Much like the first game leaving the camera alone largely makes it feel more like the original with static backgrounds that are very visually interesting.

Also took me about two minutes to reconfirm that I'm an Aerith man through and through.

E: also I set the difficulty to dynamic or whatever it is because the original game was very easy. So far this is a walkover but I've only seen field trash.

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

I woke up two hours early before I usually get up for work to get a little taste of Rebirth. Let’s goooo unlocked

Edit: why on earth do they dump you into a scenario right away where you can’t enter the real pause menu and edit things like going from graphical to performance. Man the low frame rate is hurting my eyes and you can’t change it. Each time you hit pause it doesn’t give you the real pause menu

MintFresh fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Feb 29, 2024

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

can’t wait to get home and play FFVII!!!!!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same....

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My copy is out for delivery! :dogcited:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

MintFresh posted:

I woke up two hours early before I usually get up for work to get a little taste of Rebirth. Let’s goooo unlocked

Edit: why on earth do they dump you into a scenario right away where you can’t enter the real pause menu and edit things like going from graphical to performance. Man the low frame rate is hurting my eyes and you can’t change it. Each time you hit pause it doesn’t give you the real pause menu

Real gamers go to Options before New Game

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Kalm spoilers. I wasn't ready for "Gotta Walk On"

MintFresh
Jun 24, 2020

Terper posted:

Real gamers go to Options before New Game

True :( I was so used to the demo I forgot to go into options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Decided to just go to sleep last night since I was waking up early anyway

Not a spoiler but what the gently caress are the PS2 textures in the one shop lol