Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Tree Goat posted:

the thing i heard that is almost certainly fake if you think about it for even a tiny span of time but i choose to believe is true is that one of the reasons that maneating tigers and lions are such a problem is that human meat has so much fat and salt and so on compared to animals you'd encounter in the wild that it's just way tastier and so once they start eating people they just can't stop. that and the fact that wendigos are real.

man-eating tigers and lions are generally not a problem. tigers are of all big cats by far the most likely to actually eat humans. Despite them inhabiting the most-densley human populated regions of the world (China, SE Asia and India) there are only a few known cases of tigers becoming man-eaters and almost all have had some sort of health condition that makes their traditional prey untenable. Generally in cases where tiger attacks have occurred it has been when people have been crouched down and when they stand upright the tiger loses interest. In other words once the human is clearly a human they leave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
oh interesting, like the whole “surfers paddling on surfboards look like seals from below” thing?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

man-eating tigers and lions are generally not a problem. tigers are of all big cats by far the most likely to actually eat humans. Despite them inhabiting the most-densley human populated regions of the world (China, SE Asia and India) there are only a few known cases of tigers becoming man-eaters and almost all have had some sort of health condition that makes their traditional prey untenable. Generally in cases where tiger attacks have occurred it has been when people have been crouched down and when they stand upright the tiger loses interest. In other words once the human is clearly a human they leave

So it's like when you're broke and the only food you can afford is vienna sausages. Humans are just big vienna sausages.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

tigers are of all big cats by far the most likely to actually eat humans. Despite them inhabiting the most-densley human populated regions of the world (China, SE Asia and India) there are only a few known cases of tigers becoming man-eaters and almost all have had some sort of health condition that makes their traditional prey untenable. Generally in cases where tiger attacks have occurred it has been when people have been crouched down and when they stand upright the tiger loses interest. In other words once the human is clearly a human they leave

You're telling me Calvin and Hobbes lied to me?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

So it's like when you're broke and the only food you can afford is vienna sausages. Humans are just big vienna sausages.

Big vienna sausages except after you've eaten a can or two you wake up in the middle of the night and dozens of Vienna sausages are standing over your bed pointing guns at you :freep:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

Big vienna sausages except after you've eaten a can or two you wake up in the middle of the night and dozens of Vienna sausages are standing over your bed pointing guns at you :freep:

Checks out, that's the dream I have after eating two cans of Vienna sausages.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

My human-eating just so story is that humans are like those brightly colored tree frogs that aren't actually poisonous and just mooch off other more metabolically hard working actually poisonous ones.

Something the size of an adult human ought to be strong enough with big enough teeth/claws/hooves to threaten "we'll both die, so don't even try it" injuries. Then when some desperate animal calls our bluff, they find out its actually really easy to eat us.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Foxfire_ posted:

My human-eating just so story is that humans are like those brightly colored tree frogs that aren't actually poisonous and just mooch off other more metabolically hard working actually poisonous ones.

Something the size of an adult human ought to be strong enough with big enough teeth/claws/hooves to threaten "we'll both die, so don't even try it" injuries. Then when some desperate animal calls our bluff, they find out its actually really easy to eat us.

Giraffes are larger than humans yet they have predators. I think we might just taste bad

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Giraffes are larger than humans yet they have predators. I think we might just taste bad

Yeah but they’re not anything’s preferred prey. Same as lions can go for baby elephants but won’t unless they’re nothing else around.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

They did a study on (prey) animals somewhere in Sub-Saharan Africa that concluded that they were more afraid of human voices (I think it was voices) than literally anything else, including the sounds made by their traditional predators.

As for said predators, it makes evolutionary sense for them not to be interested in humans either, this process must have been going on for hundreds of thousands of years now. Say you're a lion living in the savanna, and you find out that the strange upright primates you see walking around sometimes are actually easy to kill, with them having almost no natural defenses. You acquire a taste for these creatures, and you can probably kill and eat a few of them, but sooner or later a whole group of them armed with clubs, spears, and stones is going to catch you in the act or come for you. Even if you survive that confrontation, you're likely to be injured to the extent that it jeopardizes your survival and reproductive chances. Any lions, or any other large carnivores, with a natural inclination for hunting humans would slowly be weeded out of the gene pool, which is why currently none of these species regularly prey on humans, even though the latter are individually almost defenseless.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Yeah there might either be some kind of genetic understanding embedded into animal instincts as to what viable prey looks like and acts like, or there might be some factor of animals being taught by their parents how to hunt, but either way, the cycle of animals not eating humans and being killed if they do has been keeping them from really developing any preference or habit for a long while. I wonder if you could put something together from how much other primate species are preyed upon as to what animals think of person-shaped prey.

Although that doesn't really explain why sharks and whales don't have any particular preference for humans, since we can't really track down and punish maneaters at sea in the same way. I guess a lot of other animals are better eatin' (most aquatic creatures have big chunks of pure muscle to bite into compared to humans being so bony), but killer whales gently caress around with killing and eating random poo poo irrespective of their nutritional value or even safety all the time, so you'd think they'd give it a try every now and then.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

My favorite grocery chain is ShopRite, which is not one chain but a cooperative of 50 different chains, all of which use the same name. Some are large, some are small. All are ShopRite. They even own a few stores themselves.

https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid/3000/meetourmembers

Look at all these different families, it's like Renaissance Italy

Ace hardware is like this too. All the ones in my town are owned by the same dude. One of them has a sick rear end hobby store attached

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

My favorite grocery chain is ShopRite, which is not one chain but a cooperative of 50 different chains, all of which use the same name. Some are large, some are small. All are ShopRite. They even own a few stores themselves.

https://www.shoprite.com/sm/pickup/rsid/3000/meetourmembers

Look at all these different families, it's like Renaissance Italy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Quorum posted:

Why is my therapist posting on the forums?? This is highly unprofessional!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah there might either be some kind of genetic understanding embedded into animal instincts as to what viable prey looks like and acts like, or there might be some factor of animals being taught by their parents how to hunt, but either way, the cycle of animals not eating humans and being killed if they do has been keeping them from really developing any preference or habit for a long while. I wonder if you could put something together from how much other primate species are preyed upon as to what animals think of person-shaped prey.

Although that doesn't really explain why sharks and whales don't have any particular preference for humans, since we can't really track down and punish maneaters at sea in the same way. I guess a lot of other animals are better eatin' (most aquatic creatures have big chunks of pure muscle to bite into compared to humans being so bony), but killer whales gently caress around with killing and eating random poo poo irrespective of their nutritional value or even safety all the time, so you'd think they'd give it a try every now and then.
1. Whales are the dogs of the sea
2. We push killer whales back into the sea

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

1. Whales are the dogs of the sea
2. We push killer whales back into the sea

Killer whales aren't whales. They're called that because of a mistranslation of the Spanish name, which more accurately would be "Whale Killer" or "Killer of Whales."

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Air Skwirl posted:

Killer whales aren't whales. They're called that because of a mistranslation of the Spanish name, which more accurately would be "Whale Killer" or "Killer of Whales."
They're cetaceans, from the Latin word for whale. Latin > Spanish

Also, if they're not whales, then neither are sperm whales.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They're cetaceans, from the Latin word for whale. Latin > Spanish

Also, if they're not whales, then neither are sperm whales.

They're both dolphins.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sperm whale is a mistranslation, it would more accurately be "whale spermer" or "spermer of whales", eg john mcafee

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

The way I always heard it presented was that humans are a garbage tier prey, but they are a viable alternative for predators who are too weak to hunt anything else, thus they become man-eaters.

Or much more likely, animals generally hunt familiar prey that they know their patterns and how they behave. Kind of like how some areas of Africa have lions that hunt elephants, and other areas where adult elephants go completely unmolested, since the lions in e.g. the Serengeti don't know a good strategy to take down an adult elephant without being trampled. Humans aren't very massive but they're pretty tall and they're definitely different looking from other potentially-prey animals.

This would also work with that man-eaters tend to be older or sicker; if you're starving you'll eat those weird fish you've never seen before, but if you're healthy and can fish, you're not going to trust some weird rear end fish like pink salmon, that looks deadly, or potatoes, which also looked deadly to 17th century Europeans.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
I vaguely half-remember something about how when humans turn to cannibalism they're still constantly hungry unless they have some carbs to go with all that human meat. That's why they start killing each other at a faster and faster pace on those expeditions where they end eating each other one by one.

On at least one occasion a guy definitely developed a taste for human meat though, in an episode of The Dollop about an Aussie outback explorer that ate up his co-explorers he gets back to society only to head out into the bush with a party and coming back alone two more times IIRC.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Offler posted:

I vaguely half-remember something about how when humans turn to cannibalism they're still constantly hungry unless they have some carbs to go with all that human meat. That's why they start killing each other at a faster and faster pace on those expeditions where they end eating each other one by one.

On at least one occasion a guy definitely developed a taste for human meat though, in an episode of The Dollop about an Aussie outback explorer that ate up his co-explorers he gets back to society only to head out into the bush with a party and coming back alone two more times IIRC.
Sounds like rabbit starvation. Humans might not be as lean normally, but in a starvation scenario we might be more rabbit-like?

In conclusion, cannibals should remember to eat the brain.

Air Skwirl posted:

They're both dolphins.
Sperm whales are definitely not dolphins.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

alnilam posted:

Yeah I've seen so many grocery store conversations online where people just have no idea that other people have never heard of the store they're posting about.

Grocery chains are highly regional, but because they're such an unremarkable part of everyone's life, I think people tend to assume their own locally dominant chain is some kind of universal experience.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Sperm whales are definitely not dolphins.
Sperm whales would be a better name for bullfrog tadpoles.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Scandinavia seems weirdly immune to european budget grocery chains. Either we have some oligopoly poo poo going on or the markets here are already stricty competitive in some way. Or we are just to conservative...

Lidl has managed to eke out a whole 3% in sweden. But they are know for cheap and occasionally good quality stuff fwiw. Depressing store interiors tho.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Scandinavia seems weirdly immune to european budget grocery chains. Either we have some oligopoly poo poo going on or the markets here are already stricty competitive in some way. Or we are just to conservative...

Human rights (i.e. workers' rights) come into it. But not to worry, they'll be dealt with within our lifetimes!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A dolphin is just a small whale.

A Killer Whale is just a big dolphin.

Q.E.D. Killer Whales are whales

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Wales and dolphins

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some more grocery maps, some are reposts since we apparently already had grocery chat ITT before :v:

(location of Biedronka stores)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

I like this hand drawn Europe where everything is slightly misshapen.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

coop, there it is

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Sperm whales would be a better name for bullfrog tadpoles.
Crazy thing is, whale sperm is bigger than tadpoles.

Threadkiller Dog posted:

Lidl has managed to eke out a whole 3% in sweden. But they are know for cheap and occasionally good quality stuff fwiw. Depressing store interiors tho.

We're protected by the Danish-German Design Discontinuity, a phenomenon that is readily apparent the moment you hit a German-majority area. And by that I mean Germany looks like it's lagging 30 years behind, which makes everything look depressing and cheap.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We're protected by the Danish-German Design Discontinuity, a phenomenon that is readily apparent the moment you hit a German-majority area. And by that I mean Germany looks like it's lagging 30 years behind, which makes everything look depressing and cheap.

Does Scandinavia have the proper check-outs or the lovely German check-outs invented by Satan? (I have been to a grocery store in Sweden but, quite frankly, I don't remember.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Aldi and Lidl are perfectly fine, even if their proletarian simplicity is apparently not to the taste of turtleneck sweater-wearing Scandinavians.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

A Buttery Pastry posted:

iirc blue whales at least have sperm smaller than human sperm is, elephant sperm is tiny, mouse sperm is larger than all of them, and fruit flies have the largest, like 6cm long uncoiled.

politically load map

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Does Scandinavia have the proper check-outs or the lovely German check-outs invented by Satan? (I have been to a grocery store in Sweden but, quite frankly, I don't remember.)
I am not sure what a German check-out is. IIRC, Aldi always felt wrong, but I don't recall exactly why.

Phlegmish posted:

Aldi and Lidl are perfectly fine, even if their proletarian simplicity is apparently not to the taste of turtleneck sweater-wearing Scandinavians.
This is what I mean. Germans have such limited understanding of design that they completely misunderstand the criticism.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I like Lidl, after they swapped out their checkouts to finnish normal standard, which should be the same as in swedish standard. Though apparently the swedes hate human interaction even more than finns and have readily adopted self checkout way beyond the supposedly introverted finns. So maybe self-checkout is the norm in sweden now.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

iirc blue whales at least have sperm smaller than human sperm is, elephant sperm is tiny, mouse sperm is larger than all of them, and fruit flies have the largest, like 6cm long uncoiled.

politically load map

No data for most of Europe as they could not find any 'abstinent' young men

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
If the checkout doesn't make international students cry, what is even the point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Aldi checkout is better than typical American checkouts, so I struggle picturing something better.