Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

the unabonger posted:

Hooo boy is the arc thrower fun, and also very easy to do team damage with.

How's the arc thrower vs armor? IVe only played with it the few times I found it randomly on maps, and I keep hearing conflicting reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Fishstick posted:

How's the arc thrower vs armor? IVe only played with it the few times I found it randomly on maps, and I keep hearing conflicting reports.

Seems to ignore armor but generally armored things also have a lot of hp so one doesn't do much.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

rideANDxORdie posted:

Knowing that armor isn't currently working as intended (hoping it will be akin to HD1 once fixed)

I'm a bit surprised they didn't fix it on this Tuesday's patch. I know the first two weeks they have been all hands on deck with the server/backend issues, but I understand that people who takes care of the backend isn't the same who have to look at the gameplay code that does 'raw damage - armor equipped = net damage'.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Feb 29, 2024

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm a bit surprised they didn't fix it on this Tuesday's patch. I know the first two weeks they have been all hands with the backend issues, but I understand that people who takes care of the backend isn't the same who have to look at the gameplay code that does 'raw damage - armor equipped = net damage'.
This assumes any of it is actually balanced and the systems works as intended and not that armor is turned off because it wasn't working the way they wanted.
There's a lot of different systems at play - not least of which all the different damage types. How does fire or bug puke interact with armor? Does the enemy have any weapons which are designated as "Medium Armor Piercing" or such? Does Armor increase HP or soak damage or do a percentage reduction of it? (ie. would it make sense if you could just stand there whilst 30 Scavenger Bugs do zero damage to you?)

Given that, frankly, the way armor and weak spots and damage types is already a little imperfect on the enemies, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that was an even more complicated problem the other way and one they had sidestepped for launch. They might have answers to all these questoins, and it could be there are actually 43 different listed bugs in their database for player armor - and the short term way to solve all of them was just to commnt it out and have it not exist. Fixing each of those edge cases or finding a new holistic solution might not be as simple as it seems.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Unlocked the JAR Dominator from the premium warbond pack and...it's a gun? Yes it's definitely a gun?

Seems to be some sort of rocket rifle. 16 rounds. Semi-auto standard, and you can set it to burst which gives it a slow auto-mode that limits after 3 rounds. One shots the chaff bots but you're going to want some heavier firepower if the berserkers start ambling towards you.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Alkydere posted:

Unlocked the JAR Dominator from the premium warbond pack and...it's a gun? Yes it's definitely a gun?

Seems to be some sort of rocket rifle. 16 rounds. Semi-auto standard, and you can set it to burst which gives it a slow auto-mode that limits after 3 rounds. One shots the chaff bots but you're going to want some heavier firepower if the berserkers start ambling towards you.

I think the thing that kills it for me - aside from not being explosive damage??? - is the thing is so goddamn slow. It takes aaaages to settle down when you're aiming it, nigh-useless in close quarters.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Alkydere posted:

gently caress yeah a bolter

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Also the same round I was trying that out we were having fun destroying all the bots coming at us as we extracted. It was only Haz 3 so just kind of fun.

Only about 5 minutes later we realized we forgot to actually start the dropship timer and we'd been blowing up random patrols.

raverrn posted:

I think the thing that kills it for me - aside from not being explosive damage??? - is the thing is so goddamn slow. It takes aaaages to settle down when you're aiming it, nigh-useless in close quarters.

Yeah, it kicks like a mule, takes forever to recenter and missing a round is so punishing that it feels like you have to ADS.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spookydonut posted:

in quickplay came across a few people who are just running the defense missions on the defend campaign worlds with the intention to let it fail and only focusing on collecting/farming samples -_-

I guess this is why the defense campaigns keep being lost?

It's also that defense operations frequently have "kill X bots" missions and always have "defend scientist evac" missions and both of those suck. I'm frequently playing bot missions but actively choosing to avoid the Defend planets because of that.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Mainwaring posted:

All this meta talk made me want to try something a bit funky so I ran ballistic shield + defender + am rifle in a bot mission. It was actually pretty fun, not sure if it was necessarily good but I at least felt effective.

It's a pretty good build for staying near your team but heading off to pick up side objectives like air striking a fabricator. The shield is very effective when skirmishing with lighter bots and then you can fall back on the am rifle in bigger fights to pick off heavier targets.

Also one thing I enjoyed when facing down medium armour guys like the ones with their own shield, you can still hold the ballistic shield in front of you when prepping a grenade which means you can dash up to them for an easy one shot impact grenade to the face. This also works on the chicken walkers, although it's quite easy to circle around them with the defender.

Ballistic Shield should let you plant it to make impromptu cover, like a pavise:

You'd still have the downside of only being able to use an SMG or other onehand weapon when wearing it (and after planting it, I guess), but now other people can benefit too.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

You should be able to ride the ballistic shield down inclines like a snowboard, and colliding into a teammate should ragdoll you both into the stratosphere, imo. Then I'd use it.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Honestly going back to the Dominator after using the slugger... it feels not great, basically every downside of the Slugger but half the damage and handles like the autocannon... it's inability to one shot headshot Devestators makes it feel especially bad after using the Slugger.

Infidelicious fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 29, 2024

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Fishstick posted:

Ballistic Shield should let you plant it to make impromptu cover, like a pavise:

You'd still have the downside of only being able to use an SMG or other onehand weapon when wearing it (and after planting it, I guess), but now other people can benefit too.

Being able to set up an impromptu snipers nest with it would be super rad!

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

the unabonger posted:

Hooo boy is the arc thrower fun, and also very easy to do team damage with.
It has pretty good range too and does good damage against medium sized elite enemies. Plus you don't actually need to charge it up all the way so if you've got the timing down you can really go full on Palpatine with it. Would recommend switching to your sidearm when enemies get up to your face though.

Fishstick posted:

While it does strip a charger's armor it requires you to zap the same spot multiple times so it's very unreliable. But it does seem like (some?) damage goes though regardless so you can eventually take one down in a pinch.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Fishstick posted:

The ballistic shield needs a ton of love, especially since the energy shield backpack is capable of doing everything the former does but in a 360-degree radius, without taking up a droppable hand slot, and without affecting your run speed to be fully-effective.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://x.com/lookatmymeat1/status/1763039400097640865?s=46&t=I-gsjpvNkUNcOBofs8OOkQ

Mech fuel can’t melt steel beams

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

curious new weapon

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Play posted:

Does anyone think they made the higher difficulties a little less punishing? With decent teammates was breezing through 7 and 8. Closer to launch those missions were absolute mayhem and seemed like there were more enemies. Or am I just imagining that

The better you are, the less often enemies will have a chance to bring in reinforcements. So the better you play the less enemies there will be!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I hope that Game Master Joel, for his own sake, is not actually a single person and they just invented a guy for people to get mad at. Just some L4D Director typed character that the divers that the divers can scream out in anger when a planet falls, made even more funny by the fact that his name is "Joel".

E. Looking at LinkedIn it's probably Joel Hakalax, a designer that works there that "specializes in player retention", but I like my headcanon better.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 29, 2024

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So, the people who farm defense missions aren't losing the war, but they aren't really contributing, either.

The problem is the defense missions tend to get paid with a civilian extraction mission that is almost impossible to do at high difficulties with pub players because it requires 3 people to bait everyone outside the civ compound while one person pushes the buttons.

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
loving the game, started less than a week ago and it whips obvs

just had the no rewards bug, though, on a mission we spent the whole timer full clearing and wow did that put a damper on things

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

For me, progression in the game is incidental. I just enjoy blowing up bugs and bots, especially with friends!

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

fun fact 1: Chargers colliding with eachother damage eachothers armor
fun fact 2: Jump packs let you (just barely) jump over chargers

Use this information for some Looney Tunes bullshit

Chopstick Dystopia posted:

loving the game, started less than a week ago and it whips obvs

just had the no rewards bug, though, on a mission we spent the whole timer full clearing and wow did that put a damper on things

It's possible it shows up later (without notification or anything). I had a couple times where I would login later and my medal count just increased.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Please add rocket launchers with the ability to rocket jump.

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011
Anyone else getting an error screen on initial load/login that just reads "-1" currently?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Siffl posted:

Anyone else getting an error screen on initial load/login that just reads "-1" currently?

Yep, Its on discord as a known issue as of 10 minutes ago

Siffl
Sep 3, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Yep, Its on discord as a known issue as of 10 minutes ago

The Discord was full >.<

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Insert name here posted:

The AMR takes those out pretty fast too, even though it isn't explosive, since it can shoot as fast as you can click. Not always the most practical to set up though :v:
https://i.imgur.com/C1Flv78.mp4

One of the best parts of this is justifying my disappointment with the penetrator against armored vents.
"+2 Penetrator magazines, close combat.... Yeah, better not bother."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

ijyt posted:

curious new weapon

any time ive seen this in game its someone using a trainer

had a guy with pink question mark throwing orbital lasers like candy

but its really just a missing or unloaded asset so could just be a bug

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Jerkface posted:

any time ive seen this in game its someone using a trainer

had a guy with pink question mark throwing orbital lasers like candy

but its really just a missing or unloaded asset so could just be a bug

I don't think they were, it was a pretty normal round. I just noticed the bulldog above them so I'm wondering if it's the re-arming backpack not loading in.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Speaking of Bulldog, what's with the guy getting stuck right on top of your head doing nothing? Only fix I can tell is to call a new one in.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Its a bug, sometimes, for some reason, your support weapon will come in as a big purple questionmark, or you can just ... spawn with it attached to you. When this happens you get the infinite strategems thing happening to you so it looks a lot like cheating but it comes from an actual bug - usually can't fire any other weapons though.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Dinosaurs! posted:

Was this last night? A couple of my IRL friends got the game and I’ve been running low difficulty missions with them while they get the hang of the mechanics. It’s a little slow goings, so instead of obliterating everything with stratagems and running objectives quick I hang back and kind of babysit the chaff bugs while they practice blowing stuff up.

Last night a goon I’ve grouped with before joined us off my friends list and I felt bad because he was probably expecting a 7+ and wound up with a 3. I told him no hard feelings if he left, but he was a good sport and ran a mission with us. If this was you, thanks.

For his sake, and from my own experience, it would be really helpful to see at least the mission difficulty your friends are on.

Nah, it wasn't me but if I was rolling with people on my Friends list I wouldn't really care, either. At this point I'm L35+, have all the strats, have many of the weapons, and really don't mind collecting more basic samples (you'll always need them) so I'm happy to roll a low-level mission with friends and have a good time.

I just get very crestfallen because I wind up bringing a loadout to handle the big dogs when I could've had real fun and brought an MG instead :(

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Fishstick posted:

Hellbombs still continue to be a big source of frustration to me.

If I can only call it in within a specific circle for an objective, let it destroy every goddamn objective in the circle you can drop it in. Having to call in 2+ hellbombs for a single stupid objective Feels Bad Man, especially if the hellbomb was like.. 20 feet from the second building. An airstrike should not be able to cover more ground for destruction objectives than something called a hell bomb.

Ei: Don't get me started on those bot Eye of Sauron towers with their "nope no strategem balls on this ground lol" terrain

Propaganda towers you can grenade or shoot the tv tower only. For the research stations you just need to destroy the grey building. It’s easier to hit them from range or with an eagle from 75m away than to get up close and hellbomb them though.

Alkydere posted:

This weapon is excellent for bots, dare I say the best primary against bots. Maybe the plasma gun is comparable.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Fishstick posted:

Ei: Don't get me started on those bot Eye of Sauron towers with their "nope no strategem balls on this ground lol" terrain

You can totally take out Detector towers with stratagems - they're the ones with the big red dot slowly sweeping across the terrain until they catch a Helldiver in their field of view. It's Scrambler towers that nope all of your stratagems in a certain radius.

Risky Bisquick posted:

This weapon [Dominator] is excellent for bots, dare I say the best primary against bots. Maybe the plasma gun is comparable.

:sickos:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Used the Scorcher last night. Give it medium pen and itll be ok. Otherwise, lol.

Dominator needs better handling.

Arc Thrower is indeed decent, was pleasantly surprised!

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Dandywalken posted:

Used the Scorcher last night. Give it medium pen and itll be ok. Otherwise, lol.

Dominator needs better handling

Treat the JAR as a DMR without a scope, suddenly it’s valuable. If you don’t aim for the squishy parts it does not work at all. Works great on bots 8, I’ll check helldive tonight but probably the same tbh.

For bugs you literally only want the breaker or incendiary breaker. There’s just too much trash to deal with to fiddle with something like the JAR.

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

The travel time on the Dominator's projectiles just makes it way too awkward to use in a firefight. It's like a semi-auto version of the plasma gun from Quake 3 but with a smaller projectile. Maybe the numbers on it are good but I'll never find out because it feels so bad to use. If I want a single-shot medium range high damage gun with no scope I'll just use the Slugger

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/jojakelion2/status/1763179350709444875?s=46

One person has already been spotted running around in a mech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im calling 4-5 as the top fun difficulty for Illuminate lol