Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

loving incredible.

Apparently there is a stipulation that you had to be selling bread as a stand-alone item prior to September of last year to qualify for the exemption, but I'm sure what "bread" is going to horribly defined and fast food chains are going to be arguing what counts as bread in court for the next several years.

Pizza chains are going to argue breadsticks count, just you watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Shinji2015 posted:

loving incredible.

Apparently there is a stipulation that you had to be selling bread as a stand-alone item prior to September of last year to qualify for the exemption, but I'm sure what "bread" is going to horribly defined and fast food chains are going to be arguing what counts as bread in court for the next several years.

Love to add in loopholes that defeat the purpose.

Also breadsticks are absolutely bread. They’re like 80% bread 20% butter

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

On a side note, if the immolation of the video game industry fucks up the NCAA and/or the GTA VI release I might become the joker.

It sounds like EA is focusing on sports, so no issue. And GTA is the biggest thing that isn’t a pure gacha game, that’ll be fine.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Looks familiar… Is that the new Bergman bowl at keystone?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Shinji2015 posted:

loving incredible.

Why though? Why is selling bread a thing the exempts you from minimum wage to begin with?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Looks familiar… Is that the new Bergman bowl at keystone?

Nah that’s copper bowl.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

swickles posted:

Why though? Why is selling bread a thing the exempts you from minimum wage to begin with?

Gavin's donors are in the entire business to make bread and they don't want him making that more expensive, duh

the Dems with any national profile are self enriching assholes

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Hot Diggity! posted:

Love having a local bar within walking distance that has a beer + special once a week. Cheap beer and cheap whiskey or Malort on the way home from work before working more from home...it's good.

I've got a bar with a huge selection of tequilas 300m from my front door, they even have great happy hour all day - it's the best place for killing 30 mins while waiting for friends to show up/spend 30 minutes having some tacos and a beer between meetings since I am full time WFH.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Buying things at Target is now an unpleasant experience.

Acetaminophen & melatonin is locked up, takes almost 10 minutes to find someone with keys, no self-checkout, 2 cashiers handling 20+ folks. Several stores closed & what's left open have armed guards.

Bonus points overhearing the cashier talking to the person ahead of me saying they're completely getting rid of self-checkout.

All these conditions in Portland because "rampant crime," which is the biggest crock of poo poo sold to the public. Just admit you aren't seeing your profit margins hit expectations & hire more workers, you assholes!

It's real weird how the well-run store (Pavilions) on my block never cries about CRIME ISSUES and is perfectly clean and lovely and the only thing locked up is alcohol that costs more than $75 and the completely poo poo run store (CVS) on my block staffs the entire rundown 6500 square foot dump with 2 people overnight and then locks up the deodorant and threatens to close stores in LA because of THE CRIME WAVE. These two stores are 1 block apart.

The union (SEIU) that pushed for the bill changed it to accommodate this Fast-Casual/Bakery exemption, not Newsom.

the story posted:

The backstory: Last year the California Legislature passed Assembly Bill 1228, which was signed by Newsom last September.

AB 1228 bumped the minimum wage for fast food employees to $20 per hour, an increase of the $16.21 average wage for fast food workers in 2022.
Flynn is the largest restaurant franchisee in the nation, operating thousands of locations of Applebee’s, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and Wendy’s.

Driving the news: Flynn told Bloomberg that he did not play a role in securing the bread exemption, but sources told the publication that he urged Newsom’s aides to reconsider whether fast-casual chains should be classified as fast food.

The fast-casual exemption never made it through, but the labor group behind the bill – Service Employees International Union – accepted an exemption for restaurants operating as bakeries.
That won Newsom’s support, and sources told Bloomberg that it was because of Newsom’s relationship with Flynn.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I don't understand how that'll help Panera anyway.... It's retail, there's a billion of them, who'd stay there when you can make more flipping burgers or stocking shelves?

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Can’t wait to buy some McBread

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
SEIU is also kind of a weird union, like they’re so drat big their priorities are all over the place, they also represent state government workers where I’m at.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Panera is such unbelievably overpriced garbage as well, I can't believe they still exist tbh.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

swickles posted:

Self checkout is also highly dependent on the system. I refuse to use our local grocery store unless I run in for like a single item or two. Its one of those where you have to scan it, put it in the bag, then wait for it to register the "proper" weight, then it lets you dcan another item. God forbid if you decide to rearrange something or have more groceries than the two bags allotted. That machine will bitch and moan the whole time and then you have to call someone over to be like "it didn't register the weight of the birthday card I bought".

Oh yeah, we have one of those and it sucks.

I primarily use the ones at Walmart and they have 4 bag spots and a big area to put larger items. I don't mind bagging my own stuff because cashiers usually just throw poo poo in a bag without any rhyme or reason and that bugs me for some reason.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

FizFashizzle posted:

Nah that’s copper bowl.

Ah. I jumped in around where the guy in the yellow is a handful of days ago. This trip was copper, Loveland, then keystone 2x. It was my first time at Loveland which was great. Independent, so you have to buy lift tickets but they aren’t bad if you get a four pack when they first come out. Food and drinks are (relatively) super cheap there. Free parking and shuttles. The lots were pretty much full on a Saturday and it still didn’t feel too busy.
I hit my top speed of the season on my last day, which is nice. Only got one real shot at it but hit 62mph off of the Ruby lift at Keystone.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

LeeMajors posted:

On a side note, if the immolation of the video game industry fucks up the NCAA and/or the GTA VI release I might become the joker.

I've fallen way off of video game industry news since giving up on Giant Bomb, what happened

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Self checkouts fuckin suck because you’re supposed to go to an actual human cashier when you have more than like 10 items, but when I run in for three things and want to just self checkout, every fuckin old rear end decrepit boomer in town is gleefully ignorant of the item limit and are all clogging up the self checkouts with their carts full of two weeks worth of groceries and are all hounding the attendant because they can’t figure out how to look up a tomato

Also I used a self checkout to grab a couple of Coho salmon filets that were on sale on Monday and didn’t realize until I was thirsty several hours later that I had also bought a case of seltzer water and left it sitting at the self checkout :(

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I've fallen way off of video game industry news since giving up on Giant Bomb, what happened

Everywhere is doing a billion layoffs and cancelling games.

Essentially all the investment money is gone, non-Nintendo AAA games don't sell enough to justify their stupid budgets and everything else is stagnant, so a ton of studios are going to close.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Big Jesus posted:

Ah. I jumped in around where the guy in the yellow is a handful of days ago. This trip was copper, Loveland, then keystone 2x. It was my first time at Loveland which was great. Independent, so you have to buy lift tickets but they aren’t bad if you get a four pack when they first come out. Food and drinks are (relatively) super cheap there. Free parking and shuttles. The lots were pretty much full on a Saturday and it still didn’t feel too busy.
I hit my top speed of the season on my last day, which is nice. Only got one real shot at it but hit 62mph off of the Ruby lift at Keystone.

we really overdid it the first day (monday) and im not the most elegant skiier. "Fighting the mountain" etc. My quads and hips are completely shot and
I just don't have the confidence to cut aggressively. I wish we'd gone to the bowl on the first day. Still got a double black diamond in the first day. Like my top speed on Slopes is only 42mph, and that was my first day.

Yesterday was gorgeous but humbling.

Also got thrown out of the ski lift at the bottom of the hill when the person didn't time it right. That was fun.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Honestly this year has some of the most interesting looking new game ideas/concepts coming out in the past 15 years, instead of every game being a direct ripoff of Call of Duty/Fortnite. The recent Steam NEXT fest had a ton of demos of actually worthwhile stuff coming this year, and I played maybe 8-10 games (mostly recommended from game industry insider friends) that all look novel and promising. Some of these demos are still available on Steam.

Brief list of what seems to be getting most hyped in the insider circles at the moment, I think all of these are 2024 releases. I've played all of these at least in demo form and they are all fresh feeling and sort of a throwback to when more randomly odd games came out.

Helldivers 2 (already out, amazing)
Last Epoch - ARPG in the Diablo/Titan Quest genre (already out)

Thrive: Heavy Lies the Crown - Medieval citybuilder with empire/ruler decision making included
The Planet Crafter - (already out, not 1.0 yet) Peaceful Mars-type planet terraforming with focus on crafting/exploring and not combat
Millenia - Civilization clone, with some really impactful looking empire/ruler decisions to be made
Lightyear Frontier - Stardew Valley but you use a giant Mech to garden
Soulsmask - Valheim clone
Enshrouded - Valheim clone

Obviously not all of these are AAA games, but GTA and NCAA will be 100% perfectly fine.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Panera is such unbelievably overpriced garbage as well, I can't believe they still exist tbh.

I feel like they're moving into spots where they have less competition. From what I've seen, they seem to be taking over the hospital cafe market. They purchased Au Bon Pain, who seemed to only exist inside hospitals, and are now replacing them with Paneras.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Ether Frenzy posted:

I had the Coffee Club which was like 12 bucks a month and worth every penny. You got unlimited coffee or sodas or killer lemonades (well, one every 2 hours). So for like 3 years I didn't pay for coffee. Just walked by the Panera in front of the hospital that was on the ground floor of my parking garage for coffee and the a lemonade/fountain drink/iced coffee at lunch. Now, I would have to drive for Panera so its not worth it.

Despite having that club and going every day, I can count on one hand the number of times I got food there over the course of the three years.

Edit:^^^ yup, ABP was so much better too.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

SEIU is also kind of a weird union, like they’re so drat big their priorities are all over the place, they also represent state government workers where I’m at.

Yeah, medical residents in Miami were part of the SEIU, but not really. They had some kind of partnership with them, but no real contractual power.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I used to enjoy their food years ago but I got burned 2-3 times in a row at the one near my office ten+ years ago, and by the time I got to "I'm paying $15+ for half a mediocre turkey sandwich on par with the premade stuff at the grocery store but made with less care, and a cup of canned soup?" I decided that was enough. That one is right next to a Chipotle, and about 10 other small-local chains/decent one-off lunch spots so I have no idea how it remains in business.

I can definitely see it being the perfect style of horrible captive market option inside hospitals.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Kalli posted:

Everywhere is doing a billion layoffs and cancelling games.

Essentially all the investment money is gone, non-Nintendo AAA games don't sell enough to justify their stupid budgets and everything else is stagnant, so a ton of studios are going to close.

Does this mean I can blame VC ghouls when Silksong is finally cancelled?

I had a loose New Year's resolution of not buying any new games (or content in general) this year, anything to make that easier I suppose. And no that's not just a joke about getting into piracy.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

Years ago an ex of mine loved Panera and would eat there like once a week. I wound up going with her and got food poisoning twice and haven’t eaten there since. I refuse to go to Panera

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Play Balatro or don't if you value your time

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

I don't mind bagging my own stuff because cashiers usually just throw poo poo in a bag without any rhyme or reason and that bugs me for some reason.

I worked retail for years so I definitely understand how much it sucks to be a cashier, but if they want to really annoy me it's when they just randomly grab anything and bag it. Listen, I put all the boxes together for a reason on the counter, I want them together in the bag :mad:

I usually bag the groceries myself for that reason.

Hot Diggity! posted:

It looks super interesting, but man did it pick a bad time to come out

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I get Panera when work buys it, because the broccoli cheddar soup isn’t bad, but yeah I won’t willingly go into one and pay for it. Been calling it overpriced hospital food for years.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Shinji2015 posted:

I worked retail for years so I definitely understand how much it sucks to be a cashier, but if they want to really annoy me it's when they just randomly grab anything and bag it. Listen, I put all the boxes together for a reason on the counter, I want them together in the bag :mad:

100% the reason why I do self-checkout myself. I also have some of my common produce codes memorized so I can be really quick at it.

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

C-Euro posted:

Does this mean I can blame VC ghouls when Silksong is finally cancelled?

Don't crush my dreams :smith:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Shinji2015 posted:

Yep. My first ever job was bagging groceries and the way they teach you to bag stuck with me all these years later. I also group my stuff together but it usually doesn't matter to the cashier.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

wandler20 posted:

Yep. My first ever job was bagging groceries and the way they teach you to bag stuck with me all these years later. I also group my stuff together but it usually doesn't matter to the cashier.

OMG. My first job was also bagging and I'm so happy that more often than not I get to bag my own groceries. Faster and better groupings than the sackers do. I put all my cold stuff together for you, starting with heavier items going to lighter so you can put them all in the cold bag.

I also think cashier is a great first job, you learn how to learn job skills, shift usually went by fast and most customers are p chill. My target hasn't locked everything down, thankfully, but closes self checkout lanes at 8 and then only has one register open so last minute runs for things I need the next day kinda suck.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I promised my housemate that I'd walk the dog today. Go figure it was raining this morning.

Fritha patiently waiting for our order.

I spoil bitches that I get wet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Ether Frenzy posted:

The union (SEIU) that pushed for the bill changed it to accommodate this Fast-Casual/Bakery exemption, not Newsom.

Also from the story posted:

The fast-casual exemption never made it through, but the labor group behind the bill – Service Employees International Union – accepted an exemption for restaurants operating as bakeries.
That won Newsom’s support, and sources told Bloomberg that it was because of Newsom’s relationship with Flynn.

It isn’t clear and of course they’re going to all say it wasn’t corrupt and that there’s totally a reason for a completely nebulous carve out involving bread and bakeries and why they aren’t subject to labor laws.

Panera is kinda funny though, I always completely forget they even exist then I’ll run an overdose in their bathroom or some Karen will be griping about an unhoused person and call 911 to kick em out.

The only time I ever remember eating there was on a trip up Columbia to watch Tebow turn the cocks inside out in 2007.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I was hooked before I played my first Flush House but that's when I knew it was going to be A Problem.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

wandler20 posted:

Neil Armbong posted:

OMG. My first job was also bagging and I'm so happy that more often than not I get to bag my own groceries. Faster and better groupings than the sackers do. I put all my cold stuff together for you, starting with heavier items going to lighter so you can put them all in the cold bag.

I also think cashier is a great first job, you learn how to learn job skills, shift usually went by fast and most customers are p chill. My target hasn't locked everything down, thankfully, but closes self checkout lanes at 8 and then only has one register open so last minute runs for things I need the next day kinda suck.

lol bagging was my first job as well. Glad to see that I'm not the only one whose brain it poisoned

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm going to a soft opening of Soup n Fresh today, which, as far as I can tell, is a spiritual successor to Souplantation. Can't wait to stuff myself full of greens and carbs!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I actually wonder if they even teach people how to bag anymore. Anytime a bagger does my groceries they absolutely demolish something. Usually bananas. To the point where I snatch up fragile things and bag them myself.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I also bagged groceries for years as a teen. Frozen stuff together, boxy stuff at the bottom to give paper bags their shape, chips and bread always at the top, etc. Stack yogurt cups on each other instead of throwing them in like a lunatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I like self checkout because I'm faster than the employees and I always bag my stuff correctly. I won't do it if I have a ton of items though, out of laziness.