Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Potato Salad posted:

I'm sorry, is the concept there that you get a free pass to genocide a pre-contact civilization on the basis of your race?

Uh…the history of the 15th through 20th centuries would suggest that the answer is “yes”, provided the race is “white”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Does Everest contain anything valuable like coal that we could get to by removing the top? Like they do in the USA? As a hardcore capitalist I feel like Everest isn't living up to its possible potential.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Desert Bus posted:

Does Everest contain anything valuable like coal that we could get to by removing the top? Like they do in the USA? As a hardcore capitalist I feel like Everest isn't living up to its possible potential.

I think that's where Cobra Commander has his secret lair.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Got a confession to make, I’m standing on top of a very tall cold mountain summit atm. Not looking like I’ll die today tho

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

ethanol posted:

Got a confession to make, I’m standing on top of a very tall cold mountain summit atm. Not looking like I’ll die today tho

skill issue

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

any pics or

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ethanol posted:

Well, you tried your best and we can't expect any more than that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

ethanol posted:

How many copies of Men In Black do you have?

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Even at "only" 18000 feet, if you get lost, you're gonna have a bad time. I'm surprised because they had a guide, who was the 2nd last to be found, there's still a guy out there. (Whose phone was with the guide's body) one of the girls they did rescue might lose limbs because of necrosis from the cold

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-2-climbers-dead-another-missing-pico-de-orizaba/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8a&linkId=332277629

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
another news article, this one about Nepalese women crafting stuff from Everest trash (mostly rope, so far):

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2024/02/25/1233232390/mt-everest-trash-crafts-indigenous-women-nepal

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Zefiel posted:

Even at "only" 18000 feet, if you get lost, you're gonna have a bad time. I'm surprised because they had a guide, who was the 2nd last to be found, there's still a guy out there. (Whose phone was with the guide's body) one of the girls they did rescue might lose limbs because of necrosis from the cold

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mexico-2-climbers-dead-another-missing-pico-de-orizaba/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab8a&linkId=332277629
I've climbed that, the glacier has seriously melted since I was there and its gotten a lot more technical of a climb.

Judging by the height the guide was found at it looks like they got lost in the rock maze (not sure how else to describe it) prior to getting to the glacier. A storm rolled in on us and got super hairy so I'm assuming that's possibly what happened.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I know this thread is about climbing mountains, does climbing far enough to reach the moon and then crashing on it because the management decided to save some money count:

quote:

"There were certainly things we could've done to test it and actually fire it. They would've been very time-consuming and very costly," Mike Hansen, the company's head of navigation systems, told Reuters in an interview on Saturday. "So that was a risk as a company that we acknowledged and took that risk".

On Friday Intuitive Machines had disclosed that the laser range finders - designed to feed altitude and forward-velocity readings to Odysseus' autonomous navigation system - were inoperable because company engineers neglected to unlock the lasers' safety switch before launch on Feb. 15. The safety lock, akin to a firearm's safety switch, can only be disabled by hand.

It might be a push button way to climb a mountain, but the button is of no use if at first you disable their hand. Shares of the company are reported to be down by 40%.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Feb 28, 2024

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

I would simply not name something I'd want to arrive smoothly and on time "Odysseus".

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
The probe’s son is going to go looking for it in ten years only to discover that it was actually back on Earth already, disguised as a port-a-potty.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gschmidl posted:

I would simply not name something I'd want to arrive smoothly and on time "Odysseus".

Yeah so it may be away and out of touch now, but hey in ten years time let's see who's suddenly coming back from out of nowhere!!!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
After loving impacting on the surface of 34 Circe, somehow.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

gschmidl posted:

:hmmyes:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dr_rat posted:

Yeah so it may be away and out of touch now, but hey in ten years time let's see who's suddenly coming back from out of nowhere!!!

No one

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Comstar posted:

I know this thread is about climbing mountains, does climbing far enough to reach the moon and then crashing on it because the management decided to save some money count:

It might be a push button way to climb a mountain, but the button is of no use if at first you disable their hand. Shares of the company are reported to be down by 40%.

this is quite a stretch to post itt lol. in fact its a good candidate to just make its own thread out of. has basically nothing to do with climbing or rich guy adventure misforutnes or whatever this thread is actually about

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

in fact its a good candidate to just make its own thread out of.

As you might expect, there is in fact already a thread, which even owes its current title to that very probe: Space/Spaceflight: Ԁ∩ ƎpIS SIH┴

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Wingnut Ninja posted:

As you might expect, there is in fact already a thread, which even owes its current title to that very probe: Space and Spaceflight Thread: Ԁ∩ ƎpIS SIH┴

yeah i know about that one, i lurk and sometimes post, but a gbs thread i meant

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

yeah there is no gbs space thread ever since the space nerds got afraid of jokes and left for the landlord forum

that lander is 100% a rich guy fucks up and eats poo poo, even if nobody died. right thread imo

e: wait, they're in sal, not bfc. the children of landlords forum then

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 29, 2024

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The space thread escaped GBS during that time that Lowtax decided to make GBS funny again, which meant returning to the early 2000s relentless shitposting he was nostalgic about. Until that nonsense calmed down it really couldn't exist here - neither could this thread, or anything that indicated any kind of genuine interest in anything, because it would get relentlessly shat down. You could have a space thread in GBS today, again, but it found a good home in SAL and nobody has made a new one in GBS.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
A space thread makes no sense because literally everything is in space. Furthermore, in this essay, I will show :words:

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

May I direct the thread’s attention to Arctic Ascent, a new National Geographic series (on Disney+ or your parents’ cable). Alex Honnold, with climbers Hazel Findlay and Mikey Schaefer, lead a group up a huge fuckoff rock wall in Greenland to do climate science. It’s more responsible than Free Solo in that they’re roped in and belaying each other. Everything else about the location and specifics is way worse, like having to walk 100 miles to even get to the mountain, avoiding murder icicles and polar bears, and dealing with lovely crumbling rock the whole climb.

Watched this. Pretty cool even if the reason to go felt kinda forced but whatever. The big climb is pretty insane not just because of how big it is but because it's literally crumbling away as they go up. Alex's :geno: about the danger going up was to be expected but it was nice to see his friends taking it far more seriously and pushing back. Absolutely gorgeous environment

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

IIRC he's on the autism spectrum, so he doesn't really show his emotions on his face. That and he's part terminator.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Nocheez posted:

IIRC he's on the autism spectrum, so he doesn't really show his emotions on his face. That and he's part terminator.

Yeah he's ASD/HSD his amygdala doesn't respond like a baseline human.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elukka posted:

The space thread escaped GBS during that time that Lowtax decided to make GBS funny again, which meant returning to the early 2000s relentless shitposting he was nostalgic about. Until that nonsense calmed down it really couldn't exist here - neither could this thread, or anything that indicated any kind of genuine interest in anything, because it would get relentlessly shat down. You could have a space thread in GBS today, again, but it found a good home in SAL and nobody has made a new one in GBS.

I feel like the issue with a space forum in GBS is that it would immediately turn into an Elon-posting thread and then all the space regulars (myself included) would abandon it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

I feel like the issue with a space forum in GBS is that it would immediately turn into an Elon-posting thread and then all the space regulars (myself included) would abandon it

you are aware that gbs has rules and mods again, yes?

e: and an elon thread

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I feel like moderation and probations could solve this issue.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

thats a good point. the gbs elon thread is a cesspit and the actual space thread sometimes struggles to stay on track and avoid hate bonering over elon. im considering starting a gbs space thread as i would definitely follow it closely and could moderate it but yeah i dunno. i;ll think on it

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

thats a good point. the gbs elon thread is a cesspit and the actual space thread sometimes struggles to stay on track and avoid hate bonering over elon. im considering starting a gbs space thread as i would definitely follow it closely and could moderate it but yeah i dunno. i;ll think on it

:justpost:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

And/or just ignore the posts and just chat about stuff you like? It always seems to end up with more posts talking about what shouldn't be posted than the odd post which is a bit off-topic.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Cactus Ghost posted:

you are aware that gbs has rules and mods again, yes?

e: and an elon thread

Honestly, and I say this having checked that this thread is in fact in gbs, no :v:

I think this is actually the only thread in gbs I ever look at, having gone full bookmarks long ago.

e: I guess the OSHA and Simpsons' threads are in here too, who knew...

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 29, 2024

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Nocheez posted:

It wasn't necessarily the facial expression, but more the complete lack of care of the danger. His friend quit the climb because he deemed it too sketchy with the amount of crumbling and choss, but Alex was just "eh its no big deal really just be careful I guess?"

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I came across a youtube channel of this guy named 'David Snow' and he has a bunch of pov videos of climbers on various mountains, and re-uploaded documentaries all around mountaineering. Didn't see his name pop up in the thread search, but these are all a year+ old videos for the most part so probably old territory for some.. A decent rabbit hole for a third monitor during the workday though. Here's a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhS6iJXOTaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzovtuGG0n8

Also here's an older video but another focus on the Sherpas that make this possible, David Snow's channel has this same one, but clearly re-uploaded more recently so this is the older link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZJhon05HE

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

onesixtwo posted:

I came across a youtube channel of this guy named 'David Snow' and he has a bunch of pov videos of climbers on various mountains, and re-uploaded documentaries all around mountaineering. Didn't see his name pop up in the thread search, but these are all a year+ old videos for the most part so probably old territory for some.. A decent rabbit hole for a third monitor during the workday though. Here's a couple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhS6iJXOTaQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzovtuGG0n8

Also here's an older video but another focus on the Sherpas that make this possible, David Snow's channel has this same one, but clearly re-uploaded more recently so this is the older link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhZJhon05HE

These look pretty good. Thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

In arctic ascent I liked how Alex was saying hey we’ve already got so far, it would be a shame to give up now. And Mikey said that’s never a good reason to keep going. Pretty level-headed.

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 29, 2024

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

I don't think it's hard if you establish rules in the OP and come down hard on them. Search thread and auto 6er any posts containing 'musk' 'elon' 'zero G bukakke' etc.

Also, my spell checker knows what bukakke is but refuses to autocorrect if spelt wrong. Neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PittTheElder posted:

The spaceflight thread’s longstanding stance on Elon is extra-nominally cringe and fail.