Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

victrix posted:

There is a sort inventory button not bound on controller by default :siren:

Wish I had known this *checks notes* since the beginning of the game

It’s bound to click both sticks at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jawnycat posted:

So I tried out the Ion Shield, just to experiment since radiation feels like mostly a non-issue and uh... so long as you have battery for it, you can just, gently caress about in red storm zones with impunity, it blocks damage from them to the car and you while in ~5m proximity to the car. Battery drain seems to scale with how much it's blocking so battery goes down fast while loving about in the red, but as long as it lasts it's blocking ALL passive damage from the storm, I used it to chase down the purple triangle drop thingy into the red and got back out with all parts still in blue.

Is still fighting for a roof slot tho, and running without either a storage rack or resource scanner feels bad.

That's what stopped me from doing the same thing myself. I don't want to give up my roof rack or my resource scanner. Though...

You could PROBABLY store the shield and hot-swap it as the storm starts to come in? You won't need the resource radar if you're ion-shielding around after the satellite payloads.

Vib Rib posted:

The listed MPG is a rough and abstract estimate meant to compare relative to other engines and not actually charted to your in-game miles.

It's also probably highway MPG, which assumes a steady speed for a long period of time.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 29, 2024

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished, what a game man

Easily going to be in my top ten for the year, maybe higher

Enjoyed it as much as Subnautica or Outer Wilds

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I'll say if you're a casual player stay far away from this game.

The "disable instability storms" option doesn't work reliably, which is really awesome since you won't realize it until you've invested a good amount of time into the level, and at least Sony will not give you a refund about it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Al! posted:

e: check the op, i added some more detailed instructions on running in vr
can you add a screenshot of the plugin section to how / make sure pacifc drive plugin is active and loaded? that SS just shows the injection is happening which uh, if it didn't vr wouldn't work at all

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
I really hope this game gets some decent free play content for post main story / NG+ runs. I'm near the end and can really really feel the growing resource drought in nearby junctions. Though since the energy seems to mostly be for researching new parts in the tech tree that seems less important as I complete it. Would also really like a "long way home" option to just drive back to the garage.

I know that story wise it doesn't make sense to have a different car, but drat I'd love to have some other options to tinker with. Give us a Rally focused shitbox, some big gently caress off post apocalypse truck or Jeep. Hell, give me one of those ARDA trucks so I can roll through fully suited up and just steam roll over everything.

Add some cryptids to hunt

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Remove the emergency teleport (short-range), add some deliveries, and get Pacific Snowrunner.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

LordSloth posted:

Remove the emergency teleport (short-range), add some deliveries, and get Pacific Snowrunner.

Or even better, The Long Dark but with your car, moving to different maps and between them to get to crafting stations/garages that specialize in some things.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Kept playing the game after people suggested turning off instability storms and that's when I figured out that first storm I saw was just a wandering storm, not the "get out of here now" storm. When I saw it, it was spreading from the corner of the map in my first run like 15 minutes in so that's why I was stressing out about the time pressure. I haven't turned back on instability storms though because I prefer being more chill with it. Having a lot of fun with the game.

The gateway storms are fun though, it's something you can at least plan for to some degree.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

RandomBlue posted:

Kept playing the game after people suggested turning off instability storms and that's when I figured out that first storm I saw was just a wandering storm, not the "get out of here now" storm.

i bet that's the problem the guy upthread was having, either that or they were mad about the fact that the instability storms kick off without warning (if youve never played a video game before) in the story maps

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jelly posted:

I'll say if you're a casual player stay far away from this game.

The "disable instability storms" option doesn't work reliably, which is really awesome since you won't realize it until you've invested a good amount of time into the level, and at least Sony will not give you a refund about it.

I kind of feel the opposite - there are just so many accessibility options. Turn off item loss etc.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bhodi posted:

can you add a screenshot of the plugin section to how / make sure pacifc drive plugin is active and loaded? that SS just shows the injection is happening which uh, if it didn't vr wouldn't work at all
This means it's loaded properly, right?

I do seem to have it working now, thanks to Virtual Desktop - $20 tho, not $10. I can look around my environment and all - real cool - but it seems like when playing the game I still need to use the stick to look at things to interact - I can't look at something with my head. And moving the stick rotates the UI around, which is super disconcerting!

I tried changing my Aim Method Type in the Input screen from Game to Head/HMD:

and that worked pretty well on foot - the UI fixed itself in place in the HMD, and I could look at what I wanted to interact with, more or less. That stops working when I get in the car, though. Any advice?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah, that's the basic problem that's solved by the profile in the op. ill give some more screenshots with a step by step when i get home and update the op

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

once you get it all clicking and you arent even thinking about the vr mechanics i swear the vibes are unbelievable. weirdly enough my favorite part is loving around in the garage, because i spend maybe 15-30 minutes in a run per hour in the garage

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

ok so what you want to do is:

1. get virtual desktop and install the streaming app on your (price is now :10bux::10bux: sorry)
3. set your runtime to VDXR. note that this won't work with all games, but i highly recommend it for non-native vr games. if you're having trouble with other games set this back to "automatic":

it may not work or run terribly using steam vr or steam link because of the additional bs it likes to run (like the vr overlay) but it might, ymmv. your computer must be wired for it to really work over wifi, but don't worry VD will nag you if you don't have it set up that way.
3. download latest uevr and profile release from the git in the link in the op
4. the profile should be a zip file, open uevr and click "import config"

navigate to wherever you put that zip file. it will extract then automatically open the folder so you know it's done.
5. your settings should look something like this (this is how it looks when successfully injected)

6. launch the game
7. alt tab to uevr and click "inject". it should automatically take you back to the game
8. when successful you should get this black box:

in addition, you should get a blue box in the upper left corner. this is what tells you that the profile is loaded as well.

if you want to change your hand, go to "input" and switch right controller with left controller control.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

looks like I did all that, yeah, and the plugin is definitely running; it's just the default settings don't do what I want. By default with that profile imported, you control it with the VR controllers, aiming your interactions (and the UI) with the right one; I'd rather have my head aiming my interactions, and the controller pointing be irrelevant. Ideally I wouldn't even be using the VR controllers, just the HMD and my dualsense. I was able to accomplish this while on foot by switching that dropdown to Head/HMD, but it stops working in the car, which is what I was asking about - my look stops controlling where I'm interacting, if that makes sense.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

tildes posted:

I kind of feel the opposite - there are just so many accessibility options. Turn off item loss etc.

No, that's what I'm saying. The only option I've tried to use doesn't work. Disabling instability storms does not always disable instability storms. Out of two attempts it's only disabled them for one.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Jelly posted:

No, that's what I'm saying. The only option I've tried to use doesn't work. Disabling instability storms does not always disable instability storms. Out of two attempts it's only disabled them for one.
do you have both options enabled. that option disables instability storms from naturally appearing. the other option disables storms when you open the gate.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

looks like I did all that, yeah, and the plugin is definitely running; it's just the default settings don't do what I want. By default with that profile imported, you control it with the VR controllers, aiming your interactions (and the UI) with the right one; I'd rather have my head aiming my interactions, and the controller pointing be irrelevant. Ideally I wouldn't even be using the VR controllers, just the HMD and my dualsense. I was able to accomplish this while on foot by switching that dropdown to Head/HMD, but it stops working in the car, which is what I was asking about - my look stops controlling where I'm interacting, if that makes sense.

ahh, i think working hmd control inside the car hasnt been solved yet, let me check the discords

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

FZeroRacer posted:

do you have both options enabled. that option disables instability storms from naturally appearing. the other option disables storms when you open the gate.

I am okay with the storms when I open the gate I just want to disable the instability storms and that is the only option I have on.

I just played a game where I was taking my time looting stuff and I checked the map and a big instability storm was springing up in the north, and I rechecked my options and it told me that the very storm I was looking at was disabled. The previous game I played correctly disabled it. I did not change any options between games and confirmed this after the fact.

The option does not reliably work and I don't want to play the game with those storms.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

On Tourists
Good Idea: Throwing a lit flare.
Bad Idea: Hitting one with a prybar
Best Idea: Attempting to vacuum the red sap right out of them.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

One unexpected amusement with this game is that the wagon's gas cap is on the left side of the car, and my IRL car's gas cap is on the right, so I keep loving up where to park the wagon to fill it up.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jelly posted:

I am okay with the storms when I open the gate I just want to disable the instability storms and that is the only option I have on.

I just played a game where I was taking my time looting stuff and I checked the map and a big instability storm was springing up in the north, and I rechecked my options and it told me that the very storm I was looking at was disabled. The previous game I played correctly disabled it. I did not change any options between games and confirmed this after the fact.

The option does not reliably work and I don't want to play the game with those storms.
this is probably just pedantry at this point but by "springing up in the north" you mean you saw the yellow diagonal lines on the other side of a circular arc? or the green amorphous blob indicating a squall? 'cos the latter can't be turned off AFAICT but it also isn't based on a timer like the storms are, or indicative of time running out, or anything like that

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

LordSloth posted:

On Tourists
Good Idea: Throwing a lit flare.
Bad Idea: Hitting one with a prybar
Best Idea: Attempting to vacuum the red sap right out of them.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009
that doesn't sound like you're referring to an instability storm at all.

the game will sound a very loud siren telling you when an instability storm is approaching as the entire map goes yellow to red.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Jelly posted:

Yeah I think RandomBlue literally just mentioned this as a point of potential confusion, but there's squalls and there's instability storms, two different things. Squalls are big yellow-green circles with wobbly edges that slowly move across the map. Instability storms are Fortnite-style closing circles where everything outside the circle is marked by hatched yellow hazard lines.
Squalls move and appear, and I think sometimes disappear, on their own. They're basically just giant drifting anomalies that usually have much weaker or less dangerous effects than normal anomalies, like an electromagnetic squall which is like a Left-Right the entire time you're in it, but not quite as strong. Those aren't time gated and won't shut you out from exploring as long as you want.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
Man, i was in the midzone and i went into one of those zones with the corrosive storm, thinking "oh this is just going to be like acid rain that sporadically makes your HP slowly tick down" and hoooly gently caress, no. That was some Dante's Peak poo poo, driving round like a madman dodging godzilla boogers from the heavens. Lost like 5 armored panels/doors and my LIM bumper before i finally managed to get the gate juiced to leave.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah I think RandomBlue literally just mentioned this as a point of potential confusion, but there's squalls and there's instability storms, two different things. Squalls are big yellow-green circles with wobbly edges that slowly move across the map. Instability storms are Fortnite-style closing circles where everything outside the circle is marked by hatched yellow hazard lines.
Squalls move and appear, and I think sometimes disappear, on their own. They're basically just giant drifting anomalies that usually have much weaker or less dangerous effects than normal anomalies, like an electromagnetic squall which is like a Left-Right the entire time you're in it, but not quite as strong. Those aren't time gated and won't shut you out from exploring as long as you want.

Oh man, thanks for this explanation. I do think it must have been a squall and had no idea they existed. Time to start working on the car again.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Latest patch has really stabilized the frame rate on ps5.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jelly posted:

Oh man, thanks for this explanation. I do think it must have been a squall and had no idea they existed. Time to start working on the car again.

I will never get off my soapbox about using similar nomenclature for different game mechanics. It caused no end of confusion in Project Zombid (are you infected, or is your wound infected?) and it does the same thing here.

They should have called them Stability Collapses or something.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Just about to make it through the wall, had to stop at the last leg of that trip because I didn't want to start another zone right now but gently caress those crackling crawlers. gently caress you.

Yeah you can drive around them but when they're in an area with a bunch of poo poo you want to loot it's annoying as hell.

Eminent DNS
May 28, 2007

Jelly posted:

Yeah, and if you really don't like squalls and you have that instability storm option disabled, you can just move out of the squall's way as they pass with basically no time pressure

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
You think I'm just gonna pass up 3 cloth and 500 more scrap metal? Hell no.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

You guys are great one other question.

Does snagging the gateway items or activating the gateway disable car repairs? I think when I snagged the last one I left my car on the road where some of those pillars spawn and it sent my car up in the air and knocked off a door and a tire. They were fine but I couldn't re-install them and had to leave them due to lack of room. Kind of a struggle rolling out of there with three tires but I managed. When I would try to install them the screwdriver icon would be there but there would be an icon on the items that I didn't recognize and google didn't seem to help me with. I don't believe the door/tire were damaged because I scanned them both and they seemed fine. There was something going on with preventing me from interacting with the car.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jelly posted:

Does snagging the gateway items or activating the gateway disable car repairs? I think when I snagged the last one I left my car on the road where some of those pillars spawn and it sent my car up in the air and knocked off a door and a tire. They were fine but I couldn't re-install them and had to leave them due to lack of room. Kind of a struggle rolling out of there with three tires but I managed. When I would try to install them the screwdriver icon would be there but there would be an icon on the items that I didn't recognize and google didn't seem to help me with. I don't believe the door/tire were damaged because I scanned them both and they seemed fine. There was something going on with preventing me from interacting with the car.

That's news to me. You should be able to install them by holding them in your hands and holding R like normal. Something else must have happened.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Warmachine posted:

I will never get off my soapbox about using similar nomenclature for different game mechanics. It caused no end of confusion in Project Zombid (are you infected, or is your wound infected?) and it does the same thing here.

They should have called them Stability Collapses or something.

Yeah this also confused me for quite awhile, agree

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lengthy post from the devs about the save system

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1458140/view/4113546234714112722

I never had any issues, but I also play roguelike everything and if I had to stop mid session and stop I'd just pause it and come back later

I also never died on default settings and beat the game :smugdog: I did come extremely close twice though :ohdear:

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Jelly posted:

That’s happened to me, I don’t know what causes it though.Dropping the item and picking it back up let me install them.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I’m a bit confused about the icon and the scan not showing up an issue. Do you have any status in your log flagged new, like “busted”?

Maybe a bug?
Maybe a weird quirk combo?

Were you able to install new parts back at base?

Any of these icons look similar?
https://progameguides.com/pacific-drive/all-statuses-in-pacific-drive-and-how-to-fix-them/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm trying to read this thread selectively to pick up some good hints (like make the nights shorter, make new car parts instead of repairing all) while avoiding major spoilers. I'm terrible with horror games so who knows how long I can actually play, but I have it installed and ready to go when I have a good spot for a gaming session.