Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Antihomeless agitprop working as expected

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/man-wanted-after-attack-homeless-man-near-market-square/AOPH62C4VBB2VHBTPZABYOFLHE/

quote:

PITTSBURGH — A violent attack happened steps away from downtown Pittsburgh’s Market Square last week.

We showed people in Market Square the video, and most of them said it was “disgusting.”

The video shows several people ganging up on a man, who’s lying on the pavement.

During the attack, a shirtless man gets on top of the victim, and starts punching him over and over again.

Then, police say David Rivera kicked the man in the face, and there’s now a warrant for his arrest for aggravated assault.

Sources tell Channel 11, there’s nothing to indicate that the homeless man provoked the attack.

Impressive chutzpah to gin up violence against the homeless and use the resulting violence as evidence we need more police, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Truniht posted:

my employer which is an unnamed big aerospace firm told all of its employees that they have to prove they have 6 months of funding coverage or else they’re on a layoff list :suicide:

This is collins aerospace btw

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

never heard of them so…..

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Engorged Pedipalps posted:

There wasn't ever a concept of public health in America though, we have traditionally blundered through infectious disease outbreaks and major public health crises because American determinism and to a lesser extent the bill of rights are major impediments to caring for collective health

Yeah, no. We used to actually do poo poo.

The 1918 flu pandemic posted:

Noncompliance was so widespread in Oakland that officials deputized 300 War Service civilian volunteers to secure the names and addresses of violators so they could be charged. When a mask order went into effect in Sacramento, the police chief instructed officers to "Go out on the streets, and whenever you see a man without a mask, bring him in or send for the wagon." Within 20 minutes, police stations were flooded with offenders. In San Francisco, there were so many arrests that the police chief warned city officials he was running out of jail cells. Judges and officers were forced to work late nights and weekends to clear the backlog of cases.

Wholesale destruction of the concept of public health is more neoliberal rot.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Scarabrae posted:

never heard of them so…..

A subsidiary of rtx corporation

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, no. We used to actually do poo poo.

Wholesale destruction of the concept of public health is more neoliberal rot.

You are demonstrating the American willingness to not comply with a public health order

Even the golden era of public health you guys are championing was the same era we were willingly infecting black families with syphilis

Apr 7, 2003

You are demonstrating the American willingness to not comply with a public health order

Even the golden era of public health you guys are championing was the same era we were willingly infecting black families with syphilis

gutted compliance enforcement is exactly what he's talking about. Polio vaccinations were enforced by the National Guard if necessary. In the 2020s, public health is just an individual consumer choice and there are no bad consumer choices, just different ones.

In the case of the Covid pandemic the calls for non-compliance were top down, not bottom up. The minute the rich figured out their money insulated them from this too, their media apparatus started flooding the country with poo poo about how Covid was just a cold and we can't "let the cure be worse than the disease." Remember the president telling people to "use your beautiful second amendment" to "liberate Michigan"?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud has issued a correction as of 19:54 on Feb 29, 2024

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i don't think history supports this. vaccination campaigns and public works were once a big deal in the US, and taken seriously. as in, show up unannounced at large places of gathering and start giving shots. i remember growing up that my parents were proud of my filled out immunization card, and everyone had to have them to attend school. there were no exceptions.

the main difference between then and now? there was a competing model of how a country and economy could be governed in the USSR, even US allies had large and organized parties in support of it (though gradually waning in influence, and finally snuffed out with the end of the USSR in 91)

the complete victory of free-market capitalism and neoliberalism, and the reagan/thatcher era, is what you want to point at. it wasn't always like this. it's just gotten worse every election cycle since then.

Smallpox vaccination drives had something like 98 percent of ppl getting shots in places like NYC iirc

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023
Yeah, the real problem with our police state, cops aren't powerful enough

Apr 7, 2003

"We should permit mass death because making people do something they don't want to do is wrong" is an incoherent point of view.

Engorged Pedipalps
Apr 21, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

"We should permit mass death because making people do something they don't want to do is wrong" is an incoherent point of view.

So is "we should give police extraordinary powers but only for the specific things I want"

Apr 7, 2003

So is "we should give police extraordinary powers but only for the specific things I want"

This only makes sense if you think that vaccination drives are morally equivalent to mass incarceration.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Mr Hootington posted:

A subsidiary of rtx corporation

Nvidia?!

netizen
Jun 25, 2023
not-China hacking all the cars was a scene in that Julia Roberts movie the Obamas produced.

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

I wasn’t allowed to install a router component for the air force the other day because it was made in china, so we used a cisco component that was made in malaysia

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Truniht posted:

my employer which is an unnamed big aerospace firm told all of its employees that they have to prove they have 6 months of funding coverage or else they’re on a layoff list :suicide:

is "funding coverage" a term of art I'm unfamiliar with, or are you saying they specifically intend to lay off people without the savings to handle that?

i would simply not work for raytheon

e: oh, it makes a lot more sense if your employer is a subsidiary and *they* have to demonstrate six months of runway lest raytheon mandate layoffs

go for a stroll has issued a correction as of 20:15 on Feb 29, 2024

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

lol imagine Overwatch 2 being your dream job
I know someone that's in school right now who wants to get into game visual design for a living, and he demonstrates wild cognitive dissonance where he'll talk at length about how horribly Blizzard treats its employees, the awful decisions the leadership makes, etc etc and then almost immediately jumps into how it would be his dream company to work for

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i don't think history supports this. vaccination campaigns and public works were once a big deal in the US, and taken seriously. as in, show up unannounced at large places of gathering and start giving shots. i remember growing up that my parents were proud of my filled out immunization card, and everyone had to have them to attend school. there were no exceptions.

the main difference between then and now? there was a competing model of how a country and economy could be governed in the USSR, even US allies had large and organized parties in support of it (though gradually waning in influence, and finally snuffed out with the end of the USSR in 91)

the complete victory of free-market capitalism and neoliberalism, and the reagan/thatcher era, is what you want to point at. it wasn't always like this. it's just gotten worse every election cycle since then.

Erosion of trust of authority, specifically of the federal government, shouldn't be discounted. And how that mistrust came to be so widespread is a discussion that would probably betray one's own political views but is a discussion the US gov will never have with itself.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

netizen posted:

not-China hacking all the cars was a scene in that Julia Roberts movie the Obamas produced.

It was a plot point in that terrible movie Untraceable from 2008.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Formly known as raytheon

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Mr Hootington posted:

Formly known as raytheon

AMD's video card company??

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Shouldn't have taken that fomax contract b!tch!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

the official Fed policy is Economic Edging

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

netizen posted:

Requiring car makers to give consumers the ability to simply disconnect, or reconnect, their cars from the network at will should shut everyone up about it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

stupid

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Taima posted:

The funniest part is that there ARE a share of actual sit down restaurants who produce on-premises bread in CA but they are almost exclusively high end brick oven on premises establishments selling very expensive bread. we are talking about bespoke loaves cooked off hours starting at 10 clams.

When I lived in the bay a restaurant down the street from our house sold $22 loaves of bread. So as per usual it’s a top down handout.

Bear in mind they needed to explicitly sell the bread. it can’t be your standard free french bread or whatever

wouldn't it also include all grocery stores with a bakery?

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Draynar posted:

Fast food restaurants that make their own bread on premises and serve it as a stand-alone item. So basically just Panera Bread.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:razz:

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Draynar posted:

the $20 min wage is only for fast food cause cali is the liberalest state that ever libbed, grocery stores have a lower min wage

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i'm so weary and tired of all the sinophobia

just give me my cheap xi car

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

every time i look at this poo poo i think "why do i use my brain at all, why even bother trying to understand anything"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

There wasn't ever a concept of public health in America though, we have traditionally blundered through infectious disease outbreaks and major public health crises because American determinism and to a lesser extent the bill of rights are major impediments to caring for collective health

I see someone didn't grow up in the south and get to see mosquito spraying campaigns through their whole childhood to keep west nile, malaria, and yellow fever away.

A fun piece of history of the US is how many people yellow fever used to kill. Highly recommend reading Necropolis by Kathryn Olivarius for a look at how different things were.

But also basically the same. Before public health stepped it the rhetoric was constantly "yeah well only those weak and not blessed by god die"

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Truniht posted:

oof the trickle down from this is gonna be painful. Almost all the aerospace companies have a ton of contract orgs doing poo poo for them like one of them I used to work for.

Truniht
Jan 10, 2019

go for a stroll posted:

is "funding coverage" a term of art I'm unfamiliar with, or are you saying they specifically intend to lay off people without the savings to handle that?

i would simply not work for raytheon

e: oh, it makes a lot more sense if your employer is a subsidiary and *they* have to demonstrate six months of runway lest raytheon mandate layoffs

if you are a contractor for a program your funding is allocated as part of that program’s contract through your BA

rachel ray romano
Jul 5, 2021

90sgamer posted:

EA just announced layoffs and studio closures.

https://x.com/ign/status/1762967943925600514?s=46&t=-VZSxDkiWhxQSeyPFaKJQw

:(

It really feels capitalism is just about being cruel at this point

If capitalism is the systematized process of upsetting gamers I'm gonna start wearing a tophat and monocle.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Goa Tse-tung posted:

hypothetical: would cyberpunk have been such a massive success if they had used your approach? if the rto stuff is because of the marketing then it might be a clue to the quality of gta6

The RTO has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with enforcing crunch

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

It's an endemic disease, it's going in the exact same sense that the spanish flu is still ongoing

we lost covid won :shrug: wars over tho

wrong bitch

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

qed

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

rachel ray romano posted:

If capitalism is the systematized process of upsetting gamers I'm gonna start wearing a tophat and monocle.

The gamers will rise up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

The RTO has nothing to do with marketing and everything to do with enforcing crunch

Yeah, they can't make sure those workers are putting in 100 hours a week and sleeping under their desks if they're at home.