Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Visual fidelity isn't the only neat thing about better hardware. Even if the whole world has agreed to stay at n64 style graphics arbitrarily forever, the jump to GameCube would still be a boon because they can load whole levels with more stuff going with greater draw distance and AI and interactions for each thing. The next jump they can pull off Portal stuff having two instances of the same world loaded with physics interactions between them.

Having that that photorealistic plateau just provides nice even ground to build whatever you imagine on top of the nice foundation.

The PS4 came out in 2013. That ground you are talking about hasn't shifted since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If the ground were moving it wouldn't be the plateau.

Rift Apart doesn't look that much better than a PS4 ratchet clank game but a PS4 can't run it because it could not handle the instant transitions between levels and areas like a PS5 and SSD can.

It's not just adding more fur simulation and better textures, that's the plateau. It can also mean making fewer sacrifices to get the gameplay they wanted or being able to try it at all.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Graphics are ok where they're at

physics stuff like trees blowing in the wind, explosions with debris, and realistically damaged models still have tons of room for improvement

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Khanstant posted:

If the ground were moving it wouldn't be the plateau.

Rift Apart doesn't look that much better than a PS4 ratchet clank game but a PS4 can't run it because it could not handle the instant transitions between levels and areas like a PS5 and SSD can.

It's not just adding more fur simulation and better textures, that's the plateau. It can also mean making fewer sacrifices to get the gameplay they wanted or being able to try it at all.

I’m skeptical of this statement because while I did see some of that from the PS2 Gen to the PS360, I haven’t since. We’re not really fighting bigger swarms of enemies than we were in 360’s Dead Rising, or seeing less draw distance or really any of things you’re mentioning for two generations now. If we were there wouldn’t be less than 8 PS5 exclusive titles (most of which are either tech demos or arbitrarily gated off from the PS4 to try and sell the PS5), because nope turns out the PS4 can in fact run all these games. The loading times aren’t even part of the PS5’s actual capabilities, just having a solid state drive.

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

now days it's less that a game wows me, and more that after playing a new game and being mildly impressed when I go back to a slightly older game I'm taken aback by how much worse it looks than I remembered.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like the graphical fidelity of Armored Core 6, it's not trying to blow your mind or anything but it looks cool as hell

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

galagazombie posted:

The loading times aren’t even part of the PS5’s actual capabilities, just having a solid state drive.

I'm not sure I see the distinction. It's better hardware leading to a better gameplay experience or capability. On PC choosing HDD/SSD/M2 can have a huge impact on some game performances, being arguably unplayable or unreasonably slow on HDD.

To be clear I generally agree with the premise that the average visual graphics we have now are a "good enough" balance of looking good while being playable on a wide variety of hardware. I don't agree that there isn't still more to be gained or made attainable with greater potential, just isn't gonna be a better screenshot by itself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Technology is going to advance regardless. I'm really not sure what your point is, unless you think everyone should be required to buy $2-4000 PCs so video game progress can move faster. part of the reasons consoles exist and are so popular (and why many people play on older PCs) is that it's a much better value proposition and a lot of people don't want to, or can't spend that kind of money to play video games.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
We should force hardware makers to make better hardware by asking devs to stop optimising their games. It's a no brainer.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

haldolium posted:

games haven't even entered the uncanny valley yet

Vic posted:

You must've missed the 2000s.

haldolium posted:

you're deliberately missing the point. Graphics as a total has a lot of unsolved challenges, especially in simulation and simulated physical interaction. Fidelity has not peaked even remotely.

Vic posted:

I'm not deliberately missing the point I am doing that naturally. Maybe give me a scenario in which this is appreciably true because we (human brains) need versimilitude not realism.

You can burn exceptional computational power on incredibly complex physical simulations to have something like two people kissing look real, or you can just have a much simpler solution that even looks better.

We're there, not worth the electricity even as it becomes cheaper to do.

Whether or not we should be burning more computing power to chase realism is a worthwhile argument.

What is not even an argument at all, is whether we have either a) hit the uncanny valley in games, or b) reached peak fidelity. It’s not an argument because the clear answers are “Nope” and “Not even remotely close”, respectively.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
We're far past the point where improving graphics tech will make meaningful improvements in the kinds of games you can actually make but we're still in the zone where those improvements are visible, at least if you compare back and forth between one game that has 'em and one that doesn't. People probably shouldn't care so much about the diminishing-returns improvements in graphics at this point but they still do and yeah it affects sales.

galagazombie posted:

I’m skeptical of this statement because while I did see some of that from the PS2 Gen to the PS360, I haven’t since. We’re not really fighting bigger swarms of enemies than we were in 360’s Dead Rising, or seeing less draw distance or really any of things you’re mentioning for two generations now. If we were there wouldn’t be less than 8 PS5 exclusive titles (most of which are either tech demos or arbitrarily gated off from the PS4 to try and sell the PS5), because nope turns out the PS4 can in fact run all these games. The loading times aren’t even part of the PS5’s actual capabilities, just having a solid state drive.

There are some games that do make use of new power to actually simulate More Stuff and have huge crowds of dudes like Ultimate Epic Battle Simulator which is about just setting up huge armies of thousands of npcs and watching them beat each other up, or the recently announced Kingmakers which is about blowing through huge crowds of medieval soldiers with present day guns and cars.
I think the Serious Sam 4 had some big battles with tons of enemies on screen at once too.

It's not that common in the AAA sphere though because they'd rather spend every ounce of power on marketable graphics improvements that show up in trailers.
A lot of casual really do care a lot about graphics, they maybe buy 2-4 games per year based on the ads they see on TV and dont play anything without AAA fidelity.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 28, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

We should force hardware makers to make better hardware by asking devs to stop optimising their games. It's a no brainer.

We tried this by overworking devs, underpaying em, understaffing projects, making sure everyone is constantly aware they will be laid off at any moment for any or no reason, tight deadlines designed for investor appeal, started using players as free or paid-access testers, plus selling the game before it's finished and anyone can know how optimized it is or isn't.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

What the gently caress dont touch the surface with your hands!!!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Doom Rooster posted:

Whether or not we should be burning more computing power to chase realism is a worthwhile argument.

What is not even an argument at all, is whether we have either a) hit the uncanny valley in games, or b) reached peak fidelity. It’s not an argument because the clear answers are “Nope” and “Not even remotely close”, respectively.

Uncanny valley is a hypothetical phenomenon that is completely subjective. The phenomenon also can happen at any level of fidelity to human likeness. There's nothing to "reach".

Peak fidelity is a nonsense term. There is no appreciable difference between realism and percieved realism. A sharp jpeg for a background is just as good as fully rendered 3D landscape if done well.

Khanstant posted:

We tried this by overworking devs, underpaying em, understaffing projects, making sure everyone is constantly aware they will be laid off at any moment for any or no reason, tight deadlines designed for investor appeal, started using players as free or paid-access testers, plus selling the game before it's finished and anyone can know how optimized it is or isn't.

This is the real "pushing the limits" going on in AAA gaming.

The golden age of videogame graphics frontier is over. There's a ton happening, but it's mostly in how the games are played and how they're made. Tools that automate workflows, intelligent algorythms (I will never call it AI) stuff like that. Things that were possible but now can be expedited at scale. And of course VR which is neat and will become more amazing, but again, nothing new.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I watched a dude the other day ask why adults have the nerve to buy a Nintendo Switch.

I dunno -- I figure PC/Sony/Microsoft dick-waving was something I did in high school rather in my late 30s when I just want something portable to play 30-year-old games or stuff that's been released in the last 10 years.

Nintendo just knows how to make poo poo for everyone.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Quote-Unquote posted:

The n64/ps1 era of 3d games was so loving ugly.

There's a vaporwave, lo-fi charm to some PS1 stuff (think spinning cars in a Gran Turismo menu while trip-hop plays) but N64 stuff's primary coloured, blurry hangovers with fog everywhere makes me feel kind of depressed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Console players don't even like using consoles, what they seem to really enjoy is berating pc players for not using a console

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Technowrite posted:

I watched a dude the other day ask why adults have the nerve to buy a Nintendo Switch.

I dunno -- I figure PC/Sony/Microsoft dick-waving was something I did in high school rather in my late 30s when I just want something portable to play 30-year-old games or stuff that's been released in the last 10 years.

Yeah! You're such a grown up! Good for you!

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

QuarkJets posted:

Console players don't even like using consoles, what they seem to really enjoy is berating pc players for not using a console

I love playing games on my Sony PlayStation 5

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

pc gamers love to get mad, they play games like dota 2 and counterstrike where they just scream and rage at eachother, they are far more likely to use racial slurs and threaten to murder you because you laned wrong or something. console gamers just like to relax and have a good time.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Started playing FF7 Rebirth yesterday (my copy arrived early) and it owns so far. The card game kicks rear end, better than triple triad. Sony PlayStation 5.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

pc gamers love to get mad, they play games like dota 2 and counterstrike where they just scream and rage at eachother, they are far more likely to use racial slurs and threaten to murder you because you laned wrong or something. console gamers just like to relax and have a good time.

Sounds like someone has never played CoD on a console. Far worse than LoL or CS ever was. I can’t comment on DOTA 2 because I never hated myself THAT much.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

N64 stuff's primary coloured, blurry hangovers with fog everywhere makes me feel kind of depressed.

It was always just kind of ugly.

Not without a sort of janky charm though.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Caesar Saladin posted:

:shrug: I've had numerous children tell me they're going to gently caress my mother in Halo / Call of Duty games, but I've had people write whole-rear end screeds in War Thunder

Gaming - not even once

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Never played Dota 2 or CS and I call people slurs and threaten to kill them all the time :smug:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

does modern cod have pregame lobbies with voice chat? Halo infinite does not

I turn all the voice chat off, which has been an unpopular opinion in this thread before

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's your constitutional right to belittle anyone with a gun, even if it's a virtual one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Having a gun is a way of letting the world know you are a sad, pathetic, pile of poo poo. And have a small penis.

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
i'm willing to bet some version of the pc vs console debate has been playing out in one thread or another continuously since the very dawn of the sa forums

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Having a gun is a way of letting the world know you are a sad, pathetic, pile of poo poo. And have a small penis.

but i dont even have a gun

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MSPain posted:

i'm willing to bet some version of the pc vs console debate has been playing out in one thread or another continuously since the very dawn of the sa forums

eh even going back to when the site hosted :filez:, it was mostly talking about emulating weird Dreamcast Japan-Only games.

Its sort of a point in consoles favor - nobody considered them genuine competition to PC gaming until the ps3/xbox 360

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

MSPain posted:

after seeing golden eye for the first time as an idiot kid i thought to myself "this is it. this is perfect realism. graphics can't possibly get any better than this." specifically, it was when another play switch weapons and their character's world model changed to reflect it.

i'm not sure what the moral of the story is, but it's funny to think back on

felt this way with Max Payne 1 as a kid (which kind of was an evolution of Goldeneye 64)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Fighting Elegy posted:

felt this way with Max Payne 1 as a kid (which kind of was an evolution of Goldeneye 64)

Those were kinda bullshit though because I remember the top screenshot from the gaming magazines but the game actually looked like this:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

that last one is great because he looks like he's destroying a seven year old paintball player

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

AlphaKeny1 posted:

but i dont even have a gun

Let alone many that would necessitate an entire rack

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
Max Payne 1 and 2 own.

Max Payne 3 is a great action game. It is not a good Max Payne game.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Technowrite posted:

It's wild when you somehow get into a videogame conversation with a normie and realize a lot of people actually still seriously buy into the whole "not gonna play that kiddie cel-da crap" mentality. See also: "wait, they expect me to play as a girl!?"

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

In my audit of Elden Ring players it felt like 70% of people were playing as girls.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Technowrite posted:

Max Payne 1 and 2 own.

Max Payne 3 is a great action game. It is not a good Max Payne game.

drat right. It's the best Max Payne game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JSON Bourne
Jun 1, 2004

Vic posted:

drat right. It's the best Max Payne game.

I apparently bought it on steam at some point and installed it recently but it wanted me to register a rockstar cloud account or something and so I gave up and uninstalled it. Maybe it is the best max payne game but I will not find out for now.