Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

So while I’m happy with the Trident, it plain sucks in cold weather compared to the adv bikes I’m used to riding. Turns out naked bikes are… naked.

Hence I’m kicking around ideas which bike I might want to add to the stable that would allow for more 3-4 season riding. I’ve also found that the seating position on the Trident is borderline - if I hunker down too much, my lower back gives out.

So now I’m looking at my old haunt, GSs & GSAs, and even contemplating a Goldwing, though I’d have to check the riding position on one. ABS is a must, linked brakes preferred.

What else am I missing that’s no more than $10K for a 2013 +/-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why not the Tiger Sport 660? Or too samey to make the change?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

morothar posted:

So while I’m happy with the Trident, it plain sucks in cold weather compared to the adv bikes I’m used to riding. Turns out naked bikes are… naked.

Hence I’m kicking around ideas which bike I might want to add to the stable that would allow for more 3-4 season riding. I’ve also found that the seating position on the Trident is borderline - if I hunker down too much, my lower back gives out.

So now I’m looking at my old haunt, GSs & GSAs, and even contemplating a Goldwing, though I’d have to check the riding position on one. ABS is a must, linked brakes preferred.

If you're considering a Goldwing: FJR. I got mine mostly as a long distance/2 up bike, but it's almost all I've ridden during the winter because the wind protection and seating position is just so drat nice. It easily lowered my floor for winter riding at least 10 degrees compared to my naked bikes.

I was out over the weekend, it was 45F, cruise control set at 85 on the highway, windscreen up, heated grips cranked, I could do that all day. It can seriously boogie in the twisties too.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

The FJR does indeed kick rear end in the winter and should be right in your price range

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Used Africa twins are in the 10k or just under range around these parts.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

morothar posted:

I can speak from personal experience that goldwings are rideable until there is ice on the ground. By default they handle the elements great down to the mid-40’s or so, and from there to freezing it’s a matter of some heated gear and/or further wind blocking.

Newer goldwings can be had with factory heated grips and seats as well as air vents that open near your toes to pump hot engine bay air onto them.

Before I broke my foot this fall I was riding down into the mid 40’s without my heated gloves and last year I rode till there was ice on the streets with a couple days below freezing just using my heated gloves and keeping all the vents closed.

Let’s be clear, a car is the only way to truly be comfy at freezing temps, but a goldwing is probably second to that.

The riding position on a goldwing is very UJM. You are sitting upright with your feet under you, like you would on a UJM, essentially, just with a more upright torso position.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Minor update: my local Triumph dealer is running deals on 2023 Tiger 1200 Explorers, Rally and GT. Trading in the Trident, looks like I could come out with a brand new Tiger for around $13K out the door.

The Tiger 1200 seems to be getting good reviews, and retains the one aspect that I really like about the Trident: the three-cylinder engine.

Still negotiating, but may go this route.

EDIT: picking up a Tiger 1200 on Saturday, trading in my Trident. Just need to figure out if I go GT Explorer or Rally Explorer. I suspect the Rally will be too tall in terms of seat height.

morothar fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 22, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I'm getting ready to purchase my first 450-sized dirt bike.
I ride a KX250 now, which I'll trade to my kid for his KLX300R plus some cash.
I'll sell the 300 and buy a 450, though maybe not in that order.
We ride dunes most of the year and trails for another 3-4 months. The 300 is a good trail bike but it struggles in deep sand.
I think I'm leaning towards 2019+ KX450 mostly due to familiarity. I'm reasonably confident I don't want to pick up a KTM/Husky. Not looking to modify, either.
Honda and Yamaha both seem more expensive than Kawi. Opinions?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

looking for a nicer tourer, my next tour in mind is a ride from norcal to florida (destination wedding :D). am I crazy for liking the V strom 1050? my other bike right now is a vfr. the v strom seems nicer for a long ride and the L-twin it sports is super appealing. I'm worried the handling will be wacky compared with the vfr but I need to try one out first to see

and the r1250 rs is tempting with the heated seat and shaft drive but maybe 21k is too much for a motorcycle right now

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
You know you can also rent motorcycles. Like for a road trip and whatnot. And if that's something that suits you, you can try the BMW or goldwing or Harley dresser or whatever. Vstrom is very good tho. You should give it a try.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I'd look at a Multistrada of you're in that kind of zone.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Final update: got the Tiger 1200 in GT Explorer trim. Gotta say, the initial ride felt a bit like a homecoming. I can tell the 1.2l three cylinder is going to be hilarious once broken in.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I'm considering a Ninja 1000SX to replace my aging FZ6 that I've kinda converted into a sport tourer, and by converted I mean I added a comfy seat, tank bag, Shad rear box, and soft side bags. Riding triangle on the big Ninja looks to be similar to the FZ6, and I don't think I'd have much interest in the upright ADV-style "sport tourers" like the Tracer/Versys/GSX-GX.

I think my biggest hesitation on that is that I already ride like a buffoon with a 95hp 600, that extra 50hp in the 1000 will be wild

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ducati needs to make a V21L I can buy :(

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

They're available with radar cruise!

(for only thirty large)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

the new tracer has radar cruise. wonder how good that is. the tracer just doesn't do it for me at all aesthetically. actually I can't think of many new bikes that look as pretty as my VFR :angel:

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 28, 2024

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

VRFs were kind of build for long distance touring comfort. Why not just take your VFR on the trip?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

VRFs were kind of build for long distance touring comfort. Why not just take your VFR on the trip?

its suitable for sure. more luggage space / roomier ergos would be the main reason to go a little bigger. wind guards for my hands are attractive too

I can average about 300 miles a day on the VFR before I'm worn out. the longest trip I've done was 2500 miles and I was pretty jealous of the baggers and GS bros by the end of it. you really do get stronger on a tour though, maybe i can work up to 400 miles which I would be happy with

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nitrox posted:

You know you can also rent motorcycles. Like for a road trip and whatnot. And if that's something that suits you, you can try the BMW or goldwing or Harley dresser or whatever. Vstrom is very good tho. You should give it a try.

This is a great option, and a fun way to try different bikes you've always wondered about but would never actually buy.
You can get all the big Harleys and BMWs you could possibly want to try from Hertz motorcycle rentals, with unlimited miles, for around $2k for an arbitrary 2 weeks in March. Caveat: you'd have to get to Las Vegas first.
Eagle Rider carries the same kinds of bikes, but is more expensive. There's probably one relatively local though.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I’m seeing new old stock v strom 1050s going for $11k in cali. Not the color I would pick tho

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The only color worth a drat on the Vstrom 1050 is the yellow with blue seat combo.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

I’m seeing new old stock v strom 1050s going for $11k in cali. Not the color I would pick tho

how much for an extra set of plastics in the "right" colors

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

The only color worth a drat on the Vstrom 1050 is the yellow with blue seat combo.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Finger Prince posted:

This is a great option, and a fun way to try different bikes you've always wondered about but would never actually buy.
You can get all the big Harleys and BMWs you could possibly want to try from Hertz motorcycle rentals, with unlimited miles, for around $2k for an arbitrary 2 weeks in March. Caveat: you'd have to get to Las Vegas first.
Eagle Rider carries the same kinds of bikes, but is more expensive. There's probably one relatively local though.

There is a Harley rental program but it's limited to some dealerships across the country. I believe you can rent at one dealership and return to another, and a full dresser was something like $150 a day. Perfect for a road trip. This was before the pandemic, so you might want to look into that details.

There is also a private owner rental service through an app, similar to turo. Twisted Road is the one I'm familiar with, but there are others

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

After 3 years of hemming and hawing about getting a new bike, I made the most impractical and hilarious decision possible. I got this:

Nice

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nice.
That looks like fun.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

my local dealer has one. I would love to take it on the 36 here

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

:hellyeah: congrats goon

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

:hellyeah:

Now bring it to Thunderhill and let me ride it :hehe:

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Hi-five ZX-4RR buddy!

It's a fun bike, you'll love it.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah:

Now bring it to Thunderhill and let me ride it :hehe:

Hey so thats the plan for this spring/summer. Who do you like for trackday providers? I don't have a 1 piece yet so someone who rents those would be helpful.

I went to the dealer expecting them to shrug their shoulders and tell me "we'll call you when we get one" like the last 3 dealers did when I wanted a Tracer 9 GT and then a GSXS-1000GT to replace my Tiger. Turns out they had 3 in stock, a black ZX4R, my KRT edition and a 40th anniversary ZX4RR. So I put down 500 bucks and came back later with a check for the rest. Couldn't believe it, almost like the old days when dealers just had whatever you wanted.

Fun fact: It's got green wheels from the 40th anniversary bike they had in stock. Guy rolls in and doesn't want the 40th unless its got black wheels on it. Sales guy calls me up and asked if I wanted to switch and I was like hell yeah! poo poo would look awesome. So now i have a "custom" bike.

Also, owners manual says to keep in under 4k RPM until it hits 150 miles for the break in, then 6k for the next hundred. In 6th gear that equates to like 44 mph. Lol, LMAO

It's kinda slow and you gotta work hard to keep the revs where they need to be. I love it. I'm like fukkin Marquez doing 40 on a city street lololololol

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Awesome. I hope you’re gonna tune it because they are neutered from the factory in a bad way.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It's a furious novelty for sure, but I'm disappointed in that tach. Just a convex line? It should spiral inward over the whole screen in 500 RPM increments, what with how many revs you get to play with.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

opengl posted:

Awesome. I hope you’re gonna tune it because they are neutered from the factory in a bad way.

its getting the ECU sent off the second its out of warranty.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arson Daily posted:

Hey so thats the plan for this spring/summer. Who do you like for trackday providers? I don't have a 1 piece yet so someone who rents those would be helpful.

There are a few providers for Northern California. If you want to rent a suit, then I would go with Z2, or Fun Track Dayz, who both state they do rentals (I've never tried). I would definitely reach out to them before even booking if you're planning to rent a suit. I have a 2 piece suit I would let you use, if you fit into it. Jacket 48 pants 50 (EU sizing). I still need to figure out which days I'm going to this year.

I think Thunderhill East is probably the best bet for your first time. It's also usually the cheapest.

I rode once with Carters, and thought it was very good. The pace is a little on the fast side if you're new to the track, but the quality of riding was a lot better (especially for the intermediate group which is usually the worst group).

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Thanks for all the information. I haven't ridden on the track in almost a decade so i'm rusty for sure and probably need the most newbie friendly experience possible. I'll get the gear somehow so it's not essential that the provider rent suits but if they do that would be a plus. I'm also new to the norcal/northern Nevada area so having a buddy to show me the ropes would be excellent. PM me (if you want to of course, no pressure) when you're thinking of going.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

This has got me thinking about my future bike needs. I am buying an apartment that's in the city centre vs being towards the outskirts at the moment. This will change my commute from being 95% time on the autoroute to more like 60/40 autoroute / city. In the summer my commuting is split now between car and bike, but the balance will shift towards bike with the new place. Neither my CBR1000RR nor Scrambler are really going to cut it, the Fireblade is too fast and has no storage, the Scrambler is too slow and windy.

I borrowed a Multistrada V4S last year which was nice but huge (and quite expensive). I'd consider a V2 especially if they are a bit smaller. What else should be on the list? I like the look of a Tracer 9 GT. Maybe also a Tracer 7? While a S1000XR appeals its going to be too close to the Blade I think.

Africa Twin? DesertX (looks extremely cool but maybe not quite the right thing)? I guess the brief is "comfortable autoroute mile muncher, not too big for the city, not too dorky"

A Goldwing is going to be too big.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.

Slide Hammer posted:

It's a furious novelty for sure, but I'm disappointed in that tach. Just a convex line? It should spiral inward over the whole screen in 500 RPM increments, what with how many revs you get to play with.

There’s an alternate tach for track/lap timing that shows the 10k - redline range more prominently:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That is a sick bike. Goongrats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cataffy
Aug 12, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

I borrowed a Multistrada V4S last year which was nice but huge (and quite expensive). I'd consider a V2 especially if they are a bit smaller. What else should be on the list? I like the look of a Tracer 9 GT. Maybe also a Tracer 7? While a S1000XR appeals its going to be too close to the Blade I think.

Africa Twin? DesertX (looks extremely cool but maybe not quite the right thing)? I guess the brief is "comfortable autoroute mile muncher, not too big for the city, not too dorky"

A Goldwing is going to be too big.

What about a V100 Mandelo? The S in green is a sexy, characterful bike.