Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah I have a 56 inch Hisense @ 2160p and everything looks really nice on Graphics mode. So far at least. Haven't had any chugging or glaring issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Been playing Rebirth all day. Doing as much side content as I am able, and then moving to the next main story marker. Game is amazing. Playing on Performance mode, and maybe I just need to turn on my monitor but I have seen none of the issues that Digital Foundry has talked about? They used the demo, and that must be really outdated compared to what released digitally on PSN because the resolution and textures are fine. I have noticed some pop in but you have to really look for it. During normal gameplay, where you're not intentionally trying to notice pixels or issues, it is perfect and looks beautiful.

It's much better than the demo, but still noticably blurry in the distance in the open-world areas.

One thing I found helped a little was turning my PS5's resolution to 1440p. Not sure why, but it made long-range stuff a little clearer.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is all this "Republic of Junon" lore new to the remake? I don't think I remember a single mention of a republic in the original and i've heard it like 50 times now

I don't think I've ever heard of any of it but I'm glad they've gotten around to explaining what civilization was like before Shinra

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's mentioned quite a bit in a novel that came out a couple of years ago

https://finalfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII_Remake_Trace_of_Two_Pasts

but no it's not old Compilation lore

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

I like Barret because he's low maintenance.

All the other starting characters require varying degrees of complex direct control to fully take advantage of them. Tifa has her Unbridled Strength stuff, Red has his guarding to build his Y gauge, Aerith has her zones and now the stuff with Fleeting Familiar as part of her movement.

I find it's hard for me to mentally handle more than one "complex direct input" character in a party.

I'm trying out the Auto-Cast and Auto-Unique-Ability Materia (available from Chadley after doing various world intel errands) to see if they're useful for reducing the character swapping micro-management a little...

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I really enjoyed managing everyone up to 2 bars then dropping the heat in the first game and expect I'll enjoy it again in this one. I tried red for a bit and don't really get it. Need to play him more.

I think I'll probably be playing a lot of Aerith and Barret with Cloud. They were my faves in the first because I gave them a particular spell focus each and coupling that with them being ranged made the mental load much lower. I could build a bit of a rhythm around whose turn it was and when to switch.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I think I completely underestimated the scale of this game. Is it just me or are these maps loving huge.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

UP AND ADAM posted:

I love gobbling up all the slots with 1 cost, 1 power crap and leaving the opponent stuck with like 4 creatures. Big hearkening back to Gwent spy strategies.

Yeah. Unless they throw some gimmicks in later early strategy definitely favors claiming the board as fast as you can.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I haven't been reading the thread so sorry if this is covered, but is there any way to change the size of the subtitles? I couldn't find an option. They're loving MASSIVE.
I like subtitles on as a backup but I don't want them to take up a quarter of the screen.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Uh oh a sphere grid
Uh oh crafting
UH OH A CARD GAME

Welp there goes my free time

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

JBP posted:

I think I'll probably be playing a lot of Aerith and Barret with Cloud. They were my faves in the first because I gave them a particular spell focus each and coupling that with them being ranged made the mental load much lower. I could build a bit of a rhythm around whose turn it was and when to switch.

It seems like everyone can have heavy (if not full) elemental spell coverage in this thanks to the elemental Skills (that don't cast MP) + the dual-elemental magic materia. Should drastically reduce the need to constantly swap things out (or tune a party around elemental coverage).

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Quinton posted:

I'm trying out the Auto-Cast and Auto-Unique-Ability Materia (available from Chadley after doing various world intel errands) to see if they're useful for reducing the character swapping micro-management a little...

in my limited experience auto-unique works well on tifa, i'd hope it helps automate red xiii's whole thing but haven't really tried it out

had aerith with auto-cast aero for a little while and it sucked/made it tough to use her ATB, but it's working much better on heal so far

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Just got my copy and I'm only a couple hours in. So far I love everything except the mako janitor mini game or whatever you want to call it. Boring pointless padding

Favorite thing so far is the recreation of the Nibelheim cutscenes shot for shot

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. Unless they throw some gimmicks in later early strategy definitely favors claiming the board as fast as you can.

They add more gimmicks as it goes on, as well as new rules like Survival (play multiple rounds without additional card draws) which change things up

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Played about 4 hours today, got to the bit in Kalm when you see the Gelnika flying in and then had to take a little break because we got held up at my workplace yesterday and I got incredibly wigged out when the Shin-Ra soldiers starting pushing civilians around with guns but oh my God Kalm is incredible. You can tell that the dev team really paid attention when they were working on this game. The city walls, the clock tower, the weapons shop. Everyone in town spreading rumours of what happened in Midgar and I heard at least three different versions of gossip about what happened to President Shin-Ra. I loved how at the climactic scene in the Nibelheim Reactor Sephiroth looked loving unhinged. They really did a great job.

Opening sequence: LMAO I loving gasped when Aeris' ribbon came undone and the White Materia bounced away..

Just after the Flashback in Kalm: We're all used to Tifa trying to figure out if she's being gaslit but holy Christ Cloud's trying to figure out if Tifa's been gaslighting him and that's a turnaround I literally never thought of after all this time.

Red XIII just jumping on the bed that some psychotic innkeeper put in the middle of the goddamned room to Barret's annoyance and Barret having to sleep on the couch and snoring incredibly loudly. I was so worried Red's tail would set the bed on fire!

Question! Does that make me a dumbass?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the flame on red's tail is real (he scorches barret with it in the last game) but i assume he knows by now how to get around without setting anything alight

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

I forgot that Cloud’s mom is named Claudia :laffo:

She loves her boy. She is a proud Claudia.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Not a fan of the second area's protorelic gimmick. It's cute and charming though.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Dynamic and Hard at this point, yes.

Is hard mode basically the same deal as it was in Remake?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
finally able to boot this game.

this poo poo looks like a ps2 game in performance mode, wow. glad i just got done with ff16 and am still 30fps acclimated. sheesh.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

funkymonks posted:

She loves her boy. She is a proud Claudia.

Proud Clod*

*ia

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I didn't like Queen's Blood from the tutorial :(

To be fair I don't think I've enjoyed a board/card side game in any video game except Orlog from Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Also once I saw "affects portions of the story" bit from the bonds tutorial I have a feeling bad things will happen because of poor dialog choices I'm surely going to make over the course of the game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Chocobo Hot and Cold is BACK. We are so back

I really liked FF16 but I also felt like it was missing a bit of soul by being so focused on its main storyline that the side stuff felt like an afterthought.

Rebirth being like "here ya fuckin go, 40 different types of side activities" is like exactly what I needed

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So I got through Chapter 1. I see Rebirth is as invested in slow walking, detours and bridges that are afraid of humans as Remake was.

Plotwise Ok I couldn't wrap my head around this stuff 25 years ago and I can't now. What was the robot dude in front of Jenova's deal? I had no idea if that WAS Jenova or if they cyberized Jenova or what? Now it's just a dude, hanging around. Not even a dude really. Just looks like a dude. And wow I can just feel the writers trying to climb out of the 'why didn't Tifa tell Cloud that he wasn't there' hole the original left. There is just no digging out of that sucker. Now Tifa just looks kinda horrible for blaming Cloud for thinking she was a replicant or something while she knows drat well he's suffering from some super magic PTSD and is recalling events he wasn't even present for. And ok, Sephiroth was huge mommy issues and wants to drop a meteor so he can rule whatever with his dead mom's corpse or something. That's the part that makes sense. What does is how Sephiroth even know Cloud exists? Though they're cooking will all this and maybe more stuff will become evident later.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

So I got through Chapter 1. I see Rebirth is as invested in slow walking, detours and bridges that are afraid of humans as Remake was.

Plotwise Ok I couldn't wrap my head around this stuff 25 years ago and I can't now. What was the robot dude in front of Jenova's deal? I had no idea if that WAS Jenova or if they cyberized Jenova or what? Now it's just a dude, hanging around. Not even a dude really. Just looks like a dude. And wow I can just feel the writers trying to climb out of the 'why didn't Tifa tell Cloud that he wasn't there' hole the original left. There is just no digging out of that sucker. Now Tifa just looks kinda horrible for blaming Cloud for thinking she was a replicant or something while she knows drat well he's suffering from some super magic PTSD and is recalling events he wasn't even present for. And ok, Sephiroth was huge mommy issues and wants to drop a meteor so he can rule whatever with his dead mom's corpse or something. That's the part that makes sense. What does is how Sephiroth even know Cloud exists? Though they're cooking will all this and maybe more stuff will become evident later.

The robot thing in front of Jenova is just a decoration, and you can probably blame that entirely on Hojo. And Tifa was totally prepared to tell Cloud and then he suddenly turned it around on her and she got incredibly defensive because he was accusing her of the same thing she was about to accuse him of, which would probably not actually lend itself to him believing her.

Augus posted:

Is hard mode basically the same deal as it was in Remake?

Yep. No items, limited MP.

However it's far less painful in this because You can replenish MP at for-pay ins or cushion rest spots (i.e: any Chocobo Stop), you now get natural MP regen, you get more natural healing options, everyone gets no-MP-cost basic spells, and in general the only thing it really does is make the game harder + no item use.

Lakbay posted:

To be fair I don't think I've enjoyed a board/card side game in any video game except Orlog from Assassin's Creed Valhalla

Also once I saw "affects portions of the story" bit from the bonds tutorial I have a feeling bad things will happen because of poor dialog choices I'm surely going to make over the course of the game

(Non-plot spoilers)
The choices you make largely just impact a few events and who hangs out with you. As long as you're doing sidequests you'll get everyone's friendship to the highest level.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 1, 2024

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Speaking of gaslighting, I wonder if it's just a goof by the assets team, but I swear that, during the flashback narration in the inn room, Cloud's uniform is black. It was black, right? Then in the morning, it's blue. It was also blue in part 1. I mean, I get that it's black during the flashback itself, since he's a First Class, and that's the color of the uniform. But blue is the Second Class color. Did he change in the morning or something? Was the lighting that wonky? Am I hallucinating?

I know why Cloud's uniform is blue according to the lore :ssh:

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Lakbay posted:

fwiw i also bounced off of it at first, did the tutorial and 1 challenge first time in kalm and was not a fan. second time around was much more fun and, as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, your beginner deck is awful so if you get a new card think about moving it in

(ch2 sidequests) i'm not sure if i missed it the first time in kalm or it only shows up once you get open world, but beyond the sidequest you get tied to QB the item shop sells a couple of x5 card sets which is where i got hooked

stuker fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 1, 2024

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Man I also just remembered how the flashback ended and Barret was asking what the hell Jenova was anyway, and Aeris got super awkward and made the world's least subtle attempt to change the subject by pretending to be tired and yawning cartoonishly. I love her so much.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

stuker posted:

after playing through that segment i have no clue why some folks got so mad at the vacuum (not saying you are)

that was light for any modern minigame, let alone a final fantasy lmao

I'm a person who was a little mad at it. It was just really slow and clunky. The first one wasn't too bad, but the second time was pretty annoying. If you worked 60 hours a week and sat down for your 1 hour of video game time then half of it gets wasted clunking a vacuum around and limping through fire you'd probably be a little annoyed too. I wouldn't really call it a minigame either, at least those are kind of games in themselves, like them or not. Not sure how bad it's going to be in this one, but Remake was full of those "this is to pad out some time" moments.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I think mako janitor is probably intended to be a "variety in gameplay" thing but it just sucks. No pun intended

Just saw the big Sephiroth cutscene and holy poo poo did they nail it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The vacuum thing made me feel embarrassed for the developers.

Elephant Ambush posted:

I think mako janitor is probably intended to be a "variety in gameplay" thing but it just sucks. No pun intended

Just saw the big Sephiroth cutscene and holy poo poo did they nail it

It's meant to be a joke because you're a bum and Sephiroth is your boss, but Cloud doesn't seem to care about doing what he's told so it's just a janky and annoying roadblock.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The weird obsession people have with the drat vaccum thing is bewildering. It takes twenty seconds. There are "push doors open" things in games which take longer. It does not take a half hour unless you are staggeringly bad at video games.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I'm a person who was a little mad at it. It was just really slow and clunky. The first one wasn't too bad, but the second time was pretty annoying. If you worked 60 hours a week and sat down for your 1 hour of video game time then half of it gets wasted clunking a vacuum around and limping through fire you'd probably be a little annoyed too. I wouldn't really call it a minigame either, at least those are kind of games in themselves, like them or not. Not sure how bad it's going to be in this one, but Remake was full of those "this is to pad out some time" moments.

don't get me wrong: if you dislike it you dislike it, it is definitely pointless in terms of the larger game and i can appreciate having limited time to game and wanting that to be stuff you enjoy

what seemed so silly to me is that the discussion earlier had me expecting something ridiculous that i'd spend 20-30m retrying. there are 2 sequences where you use it, and you only have to use the extension cord once across both! i'm playing on normal but this doesn't seem like something hard mode would modify. basically i'd be hard pressed to say the vacuum gameplay adds up to 5 minutes, and i was playing it pretty casually

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The vacuum is there because Square clearly thinks RPG dungeons or even the open world need to be broken up with other non-combat activities (like the underpass crane in Remake), Rebirth's big zones mostly do this through plenty of minigames and the Nibelheim flashback does it through vacuum (which, I would not be surprised if it started as a goofy minigame).

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

My complaint was only in the context of the demo just for clarity. The demo was pretty short, so it really stood out as a big clang to me, along with Cloud's fake limp at the end of the demo and how holding L2/R2 before the big scene kind of drained all the oomph out of it for me.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How’s the dynamic difficulty setting?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I actually sat down and timed how long you have to dick around with the mako vacuum thing, both instances, from the point they are a visible roadblock to progress to the point that the door is opened and you can proceed.

It is, in total, two and a half minutes. That's it. You probably spent more time fighting, like, a small group of giant birds or a single mud-man.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Asterite34 posted:

I actually sat down and timed how long you have to dick around with the mako vacuum thing, both instances, from the point they are a visible roadblock to progress to the point that the door is opened and you can proceed.

It is, in total, two and a half minutes. That's it. You probably spent more time fighting, like, a small group of giant birds or a single mud-man.

Everything in the demo dies in about ten seconds on standard.

Also get off this time thing. Nobody is talking about time. They're talking about it being bad.

E: drunk driver dad is, carry on

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Steve Yun posted:

It's normal plus level scaling so you never get overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I would strongly recommend it unless you have a hard time with the combat system. I think stuff feels entirely too squish on standard.