Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Barret
Red XIII
Yuffie
Cait Sith
Vincent
Cid
View Results

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

JBP posted:

My complaint was only in the context of the demo just for clarity. The demo was pretty short, so it really stood out as a big clang to me, along with Cloud's fake limp at the end of the demo and how holding L2/R2 before the big scene kind of drained all the oomph out of it for me.

I am kinda understanding of the whole "wounded walk" thing to emphasize focusing on your environment when poo poo is going down but the L2 R2 where they wait patiently for you to hit the button before doing anything and otherwise they just stand there indefinitely was lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am kinda understanding of the whole "wounded walk" thing to emphasize focusing on your environment when poo poo is going down but the L2 R2 where they wait patiently for you to hit the button before doing anything and otherwise they just stand there indefinitely was lmao

Yeah, I have to say that scene just does not hit right. They needed to be shooting at Sephiroth and he needed to be butchering them independent of your actions. It's a genuinely odd misstep.

(Or if not shooting at him at least like... more obviously terrified to the point of dropping their gun.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

agreed, it was very silly

in the mythril mines now and it's safe to say that the "yellow paint" furor was overblown, though there wasn't much doubt about that in the first place. i've only seen it on that single outcropping texture so far

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This open world is a lot bigger and neater than I expected. I'm having fun just riding around and exploring, which usually doesn't appeal to me much.

I also like some of the quality of life things, like being able to fast travel directly onto your chocobo.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah it made the scene come across as very comical. I get that they're trying to evoke the original with these moments and respect the effort, but this part came across as really silly to me, and the ensuing cool cutscene felt poorly served by it.

If it went straight from that guy getting stabbed, to more guys getting stabbed and into the cutscene it might have hit better for me.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I have to say that scene just does not hit right. They needed to be shooting at Sephiroth and he needed to be butchering them independent of your actions. It's a genuinely odd misstep.

(Or if not shooting at him at least like... more obviously terrified to the point of dropping their gun.)

I genuinely thought I had missed something here. I wondered had they already fired the guns and the animation was borked or something. Really weird. It just needed to be sudden and violent.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 1, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

See, THIS was legit quite bad, I'm not gonna try and defend this one

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

oh yeah the limping/crawling was awful and inexcusable

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm saying, all that poo poo adds up to make me feel frustrated by my time being wasted when I have very little time to play somtimes, the vacuum, the fire limping, the hold R2 to crawl, etc. Which I'd think is a very fair and understandable point. I was really clear on that, and yet goons are literally timing the mako vacuum thing with stop watches saying "ITS NOT THAT LONG" and saying I must be "staggeringly bad at video games". But I suppose goons freak out when encountering mild criticism of whatever the currently liked thing is.

And btw, the 2.5 minutes that one goon decided to be all dramatic about makes up almost 5% of a 1 hour play session.

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 1, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought maybe I had misremembered the original scene coming from Sephiroth in the library and watched it again. The entire sequence between leaving the library the end of the cutscene goes for all of one minute. Cloud isn't wounded and just runs in going this is terrible.

The limp is obviously an homage to the animations of the original but why the gently caress is it here!?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

JBP posted:

I thought maybe I had misremembered the original scene coming from Sephiroth in the library and watched it again. The entire sequence between leaving the library the end of the cutscene goes for all of one minute. Cloud isn't wounded and just runs in going this is terrible.

The limp is obviously an homage to the animations of the original but why the gently caress is it here!?

The impression I got is that it's supposed to be a moment of "wait, something is wrong" because (FF7 classic spoilers) why is Super Soldier Cloud Strife limping like he's badly injured after some stuff collapsing, and when you encounter ' Real' Cloud lying near his house he's also got the same basic injuries. So it's trying to emphasize that the guy you're controlling at that moment is Cloud the injured Shinra soldier and not Zack the super soldier.

But it's not super well executed, no.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

The impression I got is that it's supposed to be a moment of "wait, something is wrong" because (FF7 classic spoilers) why is Super Soldier Cloud Strife limping like he's badly injured after some stuff collapsing, and when you encounter ' Real' Cloud lying near his house he's also got the same basic injuries. So it's trying to emphasize that the guy you're controlling at that moment is Cloud the injured Shinra soldier and not Zack the super soldier.

Yeah for sure... but it sucks. That's not where the drama of this sequence is and doesn't matter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've done nothing today but play Rebirth.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I've done nothing today but play Rebirth.

Well you must be pretty far into it, right?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Well you must be pretty far into it, right?

11 1/2 hours and on chapter 4. So I don't feel like i'm that far? Barely anything has happened with the main story.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I’ve also just reached the Junon region and with the way this place looks I half expect to see pilot C4-621 flying overhead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been playing for half of today and I am still in the grasslands lol

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

11 1/2 hours and on chapter 4. So I don't feel like i'm that far? Barely anything has happened with the main story.

Oh yeah, no, you've barely scratched it.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

i'd head to the swamp if chadley wasn't so loving stingy with his materia

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I have so many Chadley Points and I haven't even gotten the tower in the swampland

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will slowly figure it out I'm sure but all the sphere grid and weapon ability stuff across the whole party feels like a lot lol, I usually just default to using the core abilities.

Even keeping track of magic materia across the party takes some effort. Also I haven't messed with the transmutation even as keep unlocking new stuff lol

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

ImpAtom posted:

That was my impression also, the game is playing up the dissonance of Cloud’s account. The scene still was a bizarre misstep, though.

Just doing a drive by of the thread, since I’m mostly trying to avoid spoilers, but here are some random early thoughts after starting chapter 2:

How many different Clouds are there? There’s the player Cloud, the one with Zack and the one reported missing in Midgar when the other party members are dead/accounted for.

Is the player party like, in the life stream or something? I have a feeling this is going to be a stupid mess, but we’ll see.

General question: how much do I miss from skipping mini-games? I’m not sure if I have time for queen’s blood, and I almost certainly don’t want to deal with the piano. Will I miss out on cool weapons/materia from stuff like this?

I really like how the early weapon upgrades (except for Cloud’s) seem to be meaningful gameplay choices, not just stat increases.

Last question, about gear in chapter 1:
Did I miss the sword for purchase there? I didn’t have the gold to buy it. Was I supposed to sell things to purchase it?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Last question, about gear in chapter 1:
Did I miss the sword for purchase there? I didn’t have the gold to buy it. Was I supposed to sell things to purchase it?

if you're talking about the saber, you find it in a chest. if you're talking about something else i missed it too e: i'm an idiot, you do buy it there. don't worry you'll get another opportunity to buy it soon

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 1, 2024

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

9 and a half hours and same lol

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Should I care about Assessing everything? I just missed assessing one of the enemies during the first zones first protorelic quest thing.

IIRC Remake gave you some wiggle room where you could miss some Assesses and still complete all of Chadley's things.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I didn't play the demo or read any pre release studd so excuse my getting breathlessly hype over things the thread has known about for a while but HOLY poo poo THEY PUT A CARD GAME IN FF7

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I picked the absolute worst time to get a promotion I'm becoming a streamer

*6 months later in the goon fund thread*

Help me my family are dying

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

i sort of wonder if cait sith is going to have a different arc, given that chadley already took the spot of a weird lil shinra guy constantly listening to and tracking you

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Obtained the CHAD module.

You know it game.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The chapter 2 boss music goes hard
I should probably be prioritizing the story but I ended up doing almost everything in the Kalm area before moving on. Dammit Chadley stop distracting me :argh:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I skipped doing all the Junon side content since i really wanted to see the parade and I have just the biggest smile on my face, I haven't even started it properly yet

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Oh, this game big big.

I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed at all the different systems they've thrown at me and I got to Chadley and went up against Titan and he kicked my loving rear end, which has me worried, because I've been able to faceroll every overworld mob so far. Like, yes, I understand that they want me to go find his summon crystals to make him weaker, but that fight was level synced and he was loving two-shotting my entire team while laughing off my attacks. I'm worried that it's a signal I'm going to do bad at any fight that requires tactics.

Also why does my minimap/tracker frequently have the word "Destination" on it, apparently centered right on wherever I am at the moment? It goes away sometimes, but rarely, and it's very distracting. Am I just getting a weird bug?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I didn't bother with trying titan straight away because I haven't even upgraded anything. I'd just look at getting more stuff and do the area then give it a go.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like beating the un-debuffed summons is going to be one of those extreme gamer challenges and not comparable with any normal fights.

Is it usually a good idea to save up 2 bars on everyone before executing a bunch of actions? I normally mostly use the bars as they come up since I'm afraid of capping and "wasting ATB," but this might be suboptimal.

I generally find it hard to manage both the action elements and the "swapping characters and using skills" stuff. If I devote all my attention towards action I can successfully do things like perfect block enemies and avoid their attacks, but this often results in lots of time passing with my other party members not getting ATB.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Ytlaya posted:

Is it usually a good idea to save up 2 bars on everyone before executing a bunch of actions? I normally mostly use the bars as they come up since I'm afraid of capping and "wasting ATB," but this might be suboptimal.
I have no loving idea, but it definitely wasn't in Remake or InterMISSION. You need your ATB to, y'know, do things, so if there's something that needs doing right now... spend that poo poo. Especially on abilities or anything that doesn't cost MP. Fights that take less time are fights that take less resources and do less damage that needs to be healed also with resources.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ytlaya posted:

I like Barret because he's low maintenance.

All the other starting characters require varying degrees of complex direct control to fully take advantage of them. Tifa has her Unbridled Strength stuff, Red has his guarding to build his Y gauge, Aerith has her zones and now the stuff with Fleeting Familiar as part of her movement.

I find it's hard for me to mentally handle more than one "complex direct input" character in a party.

Yeah as much as I like Rebirth I find combat to be very micromanage-y. It’s been years since Remake came out and I’m still not comfortable with the combat loop. I never really “got” it like I did the original. Maybe I’m just missing something?

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

yeah i'm not particularly good at combat, but my one experience with a no-debuff titan tells me you do not need to be worried about that level of difficulty level sync or not. plus you're forced halfway into hard mode w/o items

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like beating the un-debuffed summons is going to be one of those extreme gamer challenges and not comparable with any normal fights.

agreed, and imagine it's also an easier fight endgame which probably works well for folks who want to roll through the main quest and not do world stuff but still get the summons

CapnAndy posted:

I have no loving idea, but it definitely wasn't in Remake or InterMISSION. You need your ATB to, y'know, do things, so if there's something that needs doing right now... spend that poo poo. Especially on abilities or anything that doesn't cost MP. Fights that take less time are fights that take less resources and do less damage that needs to be healed also with resources.

also agree with this take-- unless you're fine with a battle playing out with mostly normal attacks the only reason you should really be letting anyone's ATB hit 2 is because they have a skill that requires it

stuker fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 1, 2024

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

After playing 10 hours so far I've just done enough poo poo to reach upper junon, man the game is massive. I took friday off just to play, something I've never done before, and can't wait to goblin mode it all weekend.

Game blows my pretty high expectations out of the water, almost everything about it is just phenomenal.

Only things I strongly dislike is Chadley (what a offensively idiotic character concept) and the portrayal of yuffie. She was so bad even in intergrade that I stopped playing that 30 minutes in, and it didn't get any better. She's just pure cringe every time she appears.

Every other character however is so good, even Barrett "2 grand" Wallace.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Why did they make the moogles ugly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

JBP posted:

Why did they make the moogles ugly

Yeah I dont like the moogles in this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

How do I use the Aeris synergy skill that makes teammates follow up on attacks? I was pressing it and then using her basic attack but it was hard to see if it was doing anything.

Also I really think they could have done with picking two names a bit more distinct than "synergy ability" and "synergy skill"