Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

every government agency in PA is hiring afaict

Can confirm, but I can't remember if they've reversed their decision to start new hires on a 401k instead of pension. Also I hope you love Aetna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Based on where they send migrants, they're at meat processing plants

sadly all those once proud migrant jobs have been taken by 12 year olds who keep doing it wrong and dying smdh

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

DancingShade posted:

Trying to salvage a bad career pathway is sunken cost fallacy. Just write it off and retrain. Swallow that pride.

In this case dump the teaching pathway and get a trade, work in healthcare, whatever.

"But I spent all that time and money" - uh stop right there that's sunk cost fallacy talking. Move on with life.

many people just work jobs now -- no such thing as a career

they are putting children in manufacturing facilities and expediting teacher training. in florida you can apply and start teaching 2 weeks later with no credentials.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Azuth0667 posted:

Can confirm, but I can't remember if they've reversed their decision to start new hires on a 401k instead of pension. Also I hope you love Aetna.

the 403b think is so unpopular I feel like they may reverse it . who knows ?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Maed posted:

sadly all those once proud migrant jobs have been taken by 12 year olds who keep doing it wrong and dying smdh

The teens that die at these plants are almost always migrants themselves

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

you could get a job as a teacher with an emergency cert probably anywhere in the country

this is quickly becoming my plan

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

euphronius posted:

the 403b think is so unpopular I feel like they may reverse it . who knows ?

I doubt they will, the legislature is insane and Shapiro is terrible. PASSHE is about to get the ossoff treatment and be consolidated.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Xowap/status/1763081735116333452?t=0wwsNw8_H0mo1AJl_aUiqg&s=19

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loving hate it here

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

i'm sure that surgeon could easily afford to pay the deductible and save that guy but i guess tweeting into the void about it will work even better?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

err posted:

many people just work jobs now -- no such thing as a career

they are putting children in manufacturing facilities and expediting teacher training. in florida you can apply and start teaching 2 weeks later with no credentials.

Vox Nihili posted:

The teens that die at these plants are almost always migrants themselves

:lol:thinking about these two posts and the fact there's literally a cspam Parenting thread now

jfc trying to imagine any of you at a PTA meeting

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

BornAPoorBlkChild posted:

:lol:thinking about these two posts and the fact there's literally a cspam Parenting thread now

jfc trying to imagine any of you at a PTA meeting

what the gently caress are you on about now

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

what the gently caress are you on about now

No that was NOT in any way shape or form a Value judgment of peoples Parenting skills itt

its just.... surreal trying to imagine helping your kid out with world history with something like Gladio living rent free in your head

would be one hell of a school essay

BornAPoorBlkChild has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Mar 1, 2024

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Maed posted:

i'm sure that surgeon could easily afford to pay the deductible and save that guy but i guess tweeting into the void about it will work even better?

give him a break maybe he just paid off his airplane.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
AI will fill the teaching crisis. Pearson will order some fabs and render textbooks and online classes on the fly. No need for authors or editing anymore.

Not sure about slaughterhouse cleaning. Maybe bug harvesting will be less labor intensive in a decade or two.

err has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Mar 1, 2024

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

err posted:

AI will fill the teaching crisis. Pearson will order some fabs and render textbooks and online classes on the fly. No need for authors or editing anymore.

Not sure about slaughterhouse cleaning. Maybe bug harvesting will be less labor intensive in a decade or two.

AI robotic surgery

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

best healthcare system in the world

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Spoondick posted:

best healthcare system in the world

been an awful lot of hacks in the Gov/Private Sector these past few weeks

would almost seem deliberate:iiam:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Maed posted:

This is dumb as poo poo FYI

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

united health is saying change healthcare could be down for weeks to months and maybe 6tb of patient data was taken

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Send them back to binary only and tell them to start over from scratch.

No peeking at existing code or operating systems. That's cheating.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

No that was NOT in any way shape or form a Value judgment of peoples Parenting skills itt

its just.... surreal trying to imagine helping your kid out with world history with something like Gladio living rent free in your head

would be one hell of a school essay

basically as kids get older they’re interested enough to listen to and retain more sophisticated poo poo

the key is to ensure that they know the difference between what the school wants them to know for the tests and what actually happened, and don’t get confused by it. a lot of stuff about keeping a kid safe and socialized is this sort of constant back-and-forth, you’re modeling for them what a reasonable person might think and how they might react

it helps if you had examples of decent parenting in your childhood, or if you had one or more Hard Yikes parents who serve as sort of an anti-role-model.

anyway in the last few months I’ve had to talk to the younger one about how nobody will do anything about the climate (it was longer and more delicate) and the older one about microplastics and then industrial effluent in general so it’s been a grand old time

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

fucken not edit

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

You would think that a presumably mature democracy like the United States with over 200 years’ experience in the art of governance would have a Congress that puts primacy on the national interest. Yet, we find the majority Republican Party in the US HOR denying a compromise agreement that would help fix their border problems with Mexico because it would remove one strong issue working for Donald Trump.

And here we are, the US-installed democracy in Asia, with a Congress that is also pretty much all about winning [brownie] points and never mind the high cost of negative consequences. Many in the US and here in our country are increasingly frustrated by our flawed democracies and this is how democracies die. It takes very little for a charismatic autocrat like Trump, or in our case, Duterte... to feed on popular frustration over the failure of governance even if they contributed to it.

Unfortunately, discussions about public policy are about winning [brownie] points. Never mind the all but certain unintended consequences of adopting a flawed policy. The devil is in the details and no one reads the fine print or listens while it is read. A catchy headline or slogan is more important than the details of a proposal. The digital age only made things worse because attention spans are shorter than ever and a well-produced TikTok video is more persuasive than a scholarly study of an issue.

Take the current debate on raising the minimum wage by a hundred pesos nationwide. Congressional proponents are after votes. Labor leaders are after keeping their leadership positions. Leftist organizations are after creating disturbances in the capitalist system to cause its early demise. None of them are really after putting more money in the pockets of the poor if it doesn’t serve their purpose. They are ready to sacrifice the greater majority of the poor to claim the dubious credit of fighting for them.

The government’s economic think-tank, PIDS, once published a paper that raised points that should be discussed in the current debate on raising the minimum wage. Briefly, the PIDS paper made these observations:

“It is commonly believed that mandating higher legal minimum wages (LMWs) is needed to help the poor earn a level of income that would allow them healthy and dignified lives. It is also seen as a tool to protect the weak against exploitation. This popular belief motivates and justifies the recurrent demands for hefty increases in LMW. But what is the empirical evidence behind this?

“In the Philippines, higher LMWs: (i) are likely to reduce the work hours of average workers; (ii) can be disadvantageous against the very groups that LMWs are intended to protect; (iii) decrease the employment probability of the young, inexperienced, less educated and women laborers; and (iv) tend to ironically reduce average income and raise household poverty rate…”

The PIDS paper describes the environment where we operate.

“Poor households do not have much valuable physical assets to depend on. For their subsistence, they rely on the labor of their household members and their productivity in employment and other income-generating activities. Social assistance is often needed from the government, such as the ... Conditional Cash Transfer (CCT) program… Other sources are cash or lending assistance from relatives, friends and other private entities.

“To get themselves out of poverty, they need to increase their work hours and productivity, a key factor for higher wages. The problem, however, is that the Philippine labor population is not fully employed…For workers who are underemployed they only work, on average, less than 40 hours a week. Furthermore, their wage rate is low …

“The Philippine minimum wage is relatively higher compared to neighboring countries in Asia and the Pacific with low poverty rates like Thailand, Indonesia and Vietnam…

“That the Philippines gives a higher minimum wage to its workers as compared to economically advanced countries like Thailand is something the World Bank 2013 Report took note of. This begs to rethink the common belief of having massive employment expansion with rapidly rising wages as the key to increase the incomes of poor households and to change their poverty status. Demanding the government to impose higher minimum wages to move the poor out of poverty requires deeper thought. While keeping in mind the persistent appeal for rapid minimum wage increase, how effective in reality is minimum wage legislation as a tool for improving the standard of living of the poor and other disadvantaged population groups?”

What’s the story in the Philippines? Hours of work significantly declined, and the probability of gaining/retaining employment fell by about 8% to 22%, following an increase in LMW, a study suggests.

“The average real income of households would have grown faster by about 20 percent – and household poverty would have been lower – if the LMW had increased more slowly over time. The total income of a household with just one minimum-wage earner is likely to be smaller than a household where the wife and perhaps the older children too, can also work but at lower, market-determined wages…

“Interestingly, the study finds that a faster rise in LMW significantly increases poverty incidence by 1.7 to 3.0 percentage points.”

Scoring easy [brownie] points? [Think it over]!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

good thing that templeos uses holyc

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Joe Biden is going to hire an army of nerds to rewrite all of cyberspace in Rust and it will be epic.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

require ada you cowards!!

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Maed posted:

insurers would have to pay out more claims if doctors did that so their contracts with doctors heavily restrict them from doing it, you might be able to do it once or twice but if you make a habit of it no insurer is going to pay out claims for you any more

also if you waive/pay the copayment for a Medicare patient outside of exceptional circumstances it's literally a federal felony. cool country

Thuryl has issued a correction as of 09:38 on Mar 1, 2024

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

It's china/russia/iran pick your favorite enemy of the week

netizen
Jun 25, 2023

Salvor_Hardin posted:

This is dumb as poo poo FYI

why?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the people clamour for Сasual Dating

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vile

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Computer touchers able to elaborate? I like my C.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I don't usually advocate looking at replies, but one of the bloomberg aggregator news accounts posted a very dumb question. The replies are just as stupid are you would imagine.
https://twitter.com/PiQSuite/status/1763246980283629626?t=38t5K3KQPfpafWgB5-vjhg&s=19

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Azuth0667 posted:

Computer touchers able to elaborate? I like my C.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/580292/what-languages-are-windows-mac-os-x-and-linux-written-in posted:

Windows: C++, kernel is in C

Mac: Objective C, kernel is in C (IO PnP subsystem is Embedded C++)

Linux: Most things are in C, many userland apps are in Python, KDE is all C++

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

I don't understand why that's bad looks to me like someone could learn one of those and have a fantastic skill set for development cross OS.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

return to tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxV_pR1ZsXM

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

They got a Rust acolyte into the administration. It's like the scientologists working their way into the FBI.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Biden responds to growing questions about his memory by deflecting onto C/C++ memory safety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Delta-Wye posted:

require ada you cowards!!

Fortran or bust, IMHO.