Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

Gotta make your own work. I'm watching yearly security videos today. Boring as all gently caress.

I’ve been plugging away at my WGU degree, I learned the basics of ansible and did some python, now it’s on to the real python class that some other goon was complaining about. Problem is I’ve got one class left after python then I’m done. I think I was going to study for more networking certs afterwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Hotel Kpro posted:

I’ve been plugging away at my WGU degree, I learned the basics of ansible and did some python, now it’s on to the real python class that some other goon was complaining about. Problem is I’ve got one class left after python then I’m done. I think I was going to study for more networking certs afterwards

:hfive:

I start my WGU up in a month. I'll definitely be plugging away at it while on the clock...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Know what is some bullshit.

In Veeam and HYCU land, if you have a Windows VM with a 25TB disk that you're backing up, it's 1 license.

Once you stick that 25TB on a NAS and share it out as an NFS share, with Veeam it's 50 licenses and HYCU it's 25.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah, I've been studying for Ex188 on the clock. Good use of unused time.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

I start my WGU up in a month. I'll definitely be plugging away at it while on the clock...

We had another goon do a masters there, I think it was Appl3 or something. Pretty sure he got it done in six months. I had some real unmotivated terms and basically wasted two terms doing nothing, life is life as it were

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

devmd01 posted:

Guess what this accounting software uses still, somehow? There’s a god drat IE6 user agent string in the log events for the denies.
We had a web app that you had to set Edge IE mode to emulate IE 7 up until like two years ago.

I also occasionally will come across a PC that IE itself still works on, somehow, even though that Windows update that's supposed to completely disable should be installed. The users have just been dutifully clicking the same icon for "internet" for the past 20 years then put in tickets for some random website not working.

We switched away from SCCM to some third party app that manages updates, but doesn't have a manual way to force-update a PC like SCCM did so is that PC years behind on updates? Maybe, who can tell? Management likes this new software better so oh well.

sfwarlock posted:

My theory is that whoever lifted it went to the bathroom carrying it, put it on top of the urinal, did the thing, went to wash (God I hope), and forgot it was up there.
Nah, that keyboard 100% got teabagged or asscracked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hotel Kpro posted:

We had another goon do a masters there, I think it was Appl3 or something. Pretty sure he got it done in six months. I had some real unmotivated terms and basically wasted two terms doing nothing, life is life as it were

A couple of years ago my team hired a guy less than a year out of college (Comp Sci at UCSC). He'd gotten a job with the MSP we use for hardware lifecycle stuff from his uncle. Usually, people who can be described by something like that last sentence are useless drones, my guy tore their processes apart and put them back together the right way.

He "landed" an FTE position with my team in the same sense that you "landed" a swordfish that just jumped in the boat; he outscored our other applicants by a frankly scary margin. In 2022 I marked my main achievement for a quarter as giving him automation access on the system we use to manage 2200 lab machines.

After about a year out of college he decided he was bored and started an MBA program with an Informatics focus. If he goes for a people manager track, I will count myself lucky when I end up working for him before I retire.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

We have sites in Iceland and kit is expensive over there, so my boss had the bright idea of swapping some UK laptop keyboards with Icelandic ones. Should be simple, right?

Nope!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

sfwarlock posted:

My theory is that whoever lifted it went to the bathroom carrying it, put it on top of the urinal, did the thing, went to wash (God I hope), and forgot it was up there.

So the BEST case scenario is that this new hire, who the company has apparently gone to considerable lengths to acquire, is going to be given a keyboard that someone has gotten piss on. Gee I hope yours is the one workplace in the universe where nobody gossips because if it's not, that information is going to get to them sooner or later. Maybe he won't care, or maybe he'll vomit and then look for a job where people pretend to treat each other with an ounce of respect.

I worked at a company where one of the managers would routinely insult his direct reports (I can only describe it as "negging"). I was routinely baffled at how he was allowed to treat people the way he did, and it tainted my perception of the entire company. I didn't throw my hands up and leave because the pay was good, my team was universally awesome, and I didn't have to interact with the rear end in a top hat. But man, if people in management messed with my stuff to the extent of getting body waste on it, I think that just might be over my personal line.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

bitterandtwisted posted:

We have sites in Iceland and kit is expensive over there, so my boss had the bright idea of swapping some UK laptop keyboards with Icelandic ones. Should be simple, right?

Nope!

Might have been easier just to swap the different keycaps between them. Not a great idea, but not worse than what you're doing now.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I don't like that

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

But think of the savings

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just send them British keyboards with a "welcome to the British empire" card with it.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Wasting dozens of hours of a person's time instead of slightly more capital expenditure. Management 101.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

In fairness to him, I've never seen a laptop model where swapping out a keyboard was such a mission and I'm talking 4 machines not dozens. I probably wouldn't have read the owners manual before ordering the keyboards either. Plus I find working on hardware somehow soothing.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Unfortunately it seems to be a modern laptop thing that the keyboard is attached to the top case and needs everything else lifting out to replace it. I haven't seen one that comes out the front for a while.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Thanks Ants posted:

But think of the savings

Everyone knows labor is free!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What's wrong, workwife? You haven't touched your jeyboard

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

this is weird but so well done that i can't hate it (assuming it's real and not just AI art or some poo poo)

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

my cat is norris posted:

(assuming it's real and not just AI art or some poo poo)

What language are those keys in?

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

my cat is norris posted:

this is weird but so well done that i can't hate it (assuming it's real and not just AI art or some poo poo)
Look at the type of the "letters" on the keys. AI as hell.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I'm disappointed, I want to touch one.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Che Delilas posted:

So the BEST case scenario is that this new hire, who the company has apparently gone to considerable lengths to acquire, is going to be given a keyboard that someone has gotten piss on.

Oh no, it's definitely not getting reissued. We just tested it out of curiosity. It got bagged and thrown on the e-waste pile.

Sibling of TB posted:

I'm disappointed, I want to touch one.

There's a youtube channel that made a velvet keyboard.

sfwarlock fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 29, 2024

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Nighthand posted:

Times New Romulan

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Times New Romulan
Amazing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Times New Romulan
:five:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

look i just changed the thread title okay

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Comedy waits for no man or woman - or romulan, it seems.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Times New Romulan

:perfect:

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?
We had a small division in Ireland that we closed down, and they shipped the laptops to us back here in the States. Not being one to waste things, I reissued them to some techs in various states. Out of the 700 or so laptops in my fleet, 5 of them still have users who get very confused when looking at the keyboard layout. Or they got used to it, I'm not sure.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Nighthand posted:

my attention to detail is lacking

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Ticket came in where a new email accepting the same meeting invite keeps repeatedly showing up in the recipients inbox every minute, even after the sender rebooted their laptop. What the hell Outlook, can't wait to see what's causing it later today.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

sfwarlock posted:

The latest: the monitor has returned! It was magically under the desk this AM. I'm guessing someone figured out they couldn't suddenly be using it and also probably couldn't sneak it out.

FAKEEDIT: ".... uh... does it look to anyone else like it was dropped on that corner?" Yeah. The screen is busted.

I'm going to guess this is all in the Sales department, isn't it?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

klosterdev posted:

Ticket came in where a new email accepting the same meeting invite keeps repeatedly showing up in the recipients inbox every minute, even after the sender rebooted their laptop. What the hell Outlook, can't wait to see what's causing it later today.
We've had similar sporadic stuff the last week or so. I'm wondering if Microsoft has helpfully broken something in M365 again.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Silly Newbie posted:

We had a small division in Ireland that we closed down, and they shipped the laptops to us back here in the States. Not being one to waste things, I reissued them to some techs in various states. Out of the 700 or so laptops in my fleet, 5 of them still have users who get very confused when looking at the keyboard layout. Or they got used to it, I'm not sure.
Grats on getting the Objectively Best keyboard.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Mercurius posted:

We've had similar sporadic stuff the last week or so. I'm wondering if Microsoft has helpfully broken something in M365 again.

What did you do to fix it? Tried running an Online Repair on Office and it looked like it stopped but then started again.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

klosterdev posted:

Do they have an iPhone using Mail client? I saw this a few times, had to get them switched over to Outlook for it to stop. Much whining was heard because they could no longer use Siri as well, but whatever.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

klosterdev posted:

What did you do to fix it? Tried running an Online Repair on Office and it looked like it stopped but then started again.
We haven't been able to comprehensively fix it yet and are still working through it for the half dozen people that ended up with issues. The only thing that seemed to help is the new Outlook client vs the old one but that's not going to be an actual solution for most people due to the lack of functionality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Arquinsiel posted:

Grats on getting the Objectively Best keyboard.

Why is your backslash to the left of Enter? Why?