Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Squibbles posted:

Assuming the stock maintains some paper value after IPO, AND assuming he can find someone willing to loan him money, couldn't he leverage that paper value into loans for a pretty significant amount of cash like Musk has done?

Market cap is not total value as has been pointed out. In any sort of deal like this the bank issuing the loan is going to be doing its own due diligence regarding the value of the collateral (the stock). They will certainly note the extremely low engagement on the platform. Trump being convicted of fraud for inflating asset values on bank loans probably doesn't help him here.

The only people willing to do a deal like that would be Trump true believers or those trying to buy influence, who essentially know they aren't getting their money back and are doing it as a donation to him. Those people may exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why is just out right bull making GBS threads allowed by American politicians? I know nearly every country does it in such a way to bend the truth but no one just openly bullshits day in day out.

Please don't tell me this is some 1st amendment thing..

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Tai posted:

Why is just out right bull making GBS threads allowed by American politicians? I know nearly every country does it in such a way to bend the truth but no one just openly bullshits day in day out.

What do you mean by “allowed”? Politicians can say what they want, it’s up to voters to hold them accountable or accept their bullshit. Is there something statutory preventing politicians from lying anywhere?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BigglesSWE posted:

I know that Trump lies every time he takes a breath, but somehow, his insistence that everyone on both sides of the issue thought overturning Roe v Wade was a good idea, might be peak Trump-lie. It’s so demonstrably not true.

As always I can't decide whether he's just saying whatever poo poo comes to mind that sounds self-aggrandizing and cool, or if he has legitimately convinced himself that he has singlehandedly cut the gordian knot of ABORTION through his genius statesmanship and the appointment of three perfect Supreme Court Justices who rendered a judgment that everyone loves

He solved the border! How? Uhhhhhh
He stood up to China! How? uhhhhhh
He solved Israel/Palestine! How? Uhhhhhh
He solved gun control! How? Uhhhhh

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Tai posted:

Every since I can remember the standing joke regarding politicians is "you can tell they're lying because their lips are moving".

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What do you mean by “allowed”? Politicians can say what they want, it’s up to voters to hold them accountable or accept their bullshit. Is there something statutory preventing politicians from lying anywhere?

This.

And it's what's going to happen this November. There WILL be a reckoning.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

kw0134 posted:

Right wing stuff has become so self-referential and incomprehensible to outsiders that to most sane people that sticker is going to be "yes, because he is the president you stupid idiot" and not the own the originator thinks it was.

Whenever I think of right wing comedy I remember a bunch of drunk cops at a bar in NYC a year ago and one of them suddenly yelled "JUSTIN BEIBER HAS AIDS!!" at the top of his lungs sending the rest of them into absolute hysterics.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Radio Paranoia posted:

I guess orange alerts are too close to amber.

Orange alerts are for escaped inmates, Silver alerts are for the elderly with dementia.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that's the difference between elected politicians and civil servants. Civil servants have a regular job and can be fired or otherwise penalized for what they say. Elected officials represent the will of the people whatever it may be, and the will of the people can be as stupid or malicious as you can imagine.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
ehh I guess I've been doused with too much trump videos recently

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Obsidianheart posted:

Orange alerts are for escaped inmates

Trump sightings etc, what's the difference?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BUG JUG posted:

Right, what I'm saying is, SCOTUS makes their decision June 15th let's say. The stay is gone. Cannon plops down a date like August 20th to start the documents case, why can't Chutkan preempt that by saying: ok, you want to go in late August, we can start jury selection in July? Is there a requirement Trump be at jury selection for his second trial (usually takes a week or two of wrangling)?

I didn't know about the 90 day thing, but could she start the clock on that after oral arguments in the immunity case at SCOTUS? Or is it more of a she has to wait until SCOTUS makes a decision before making a move, because technically they could decide that Trump has TOTAL IMMUNITY and their lawyers can't prep for a case that has a chance of being dismissed?
Turnp's team still has 88 days of prep left and Chutkan has to grant them all or most of that before jury selection can begin.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

pixaal posted:

Here is your image Captain Picard

Ah yes, the One Thousand Shrimp Bowl menu item at Bubba Gump Shrimp Factory.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Has all hell broken loose yet or is that more of an afternoon event?

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Radio Paranoia posted:

My sister is road tripping through Texas at the moment and spotted this the other day:

I guess orange alerts are too close to amber.

This would just barely work (not really though) as a really tired stupid Boomer joke if they at least used a non-flattering photo of Biden. But with the entire internet at their disposal they couldn't even be bothered to find a photo of him where he looks even moderately confused.

Golly gee shucks. I'm starting to think conservatives are uncreative idiots. Thoughts?

Radio Paranoia posted:

My sister is road tripping through Texas at the moment and spotted this the other day:

Sorry to hear this. I hope she's out of there pretty quick.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

kazil posted:

Has all hell broken loose yet or is that more of an afternoon event?

What's this now? I didn't have "Hell breaking loose" on my calendar for the day.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

What's this now? I didn't have "Hell breaking loose" on my calendar for the day.

Context:

Grey Cat posted:

Bf says he got a Trump spam text today that just read, "Tomorrow all hell will break loose."

What lol do you think is going to happen thomorrow?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Tai posted:

You have to understand - what made America seem like a prosperous place where anyone could make their fortune - i.e. the American Dream - was ACTUALLY a time of such immense lack of federal oversight or regulation that scammers and charlatans were easily able to make a fortune off marks and move along without any consequences. There's a reason the Ponzi scheme was invented in America.

Essentially, people lying to make their fortune and then bailing is baked into our cultural DNA. We've been a nation of 'honest people' with regulations to prevent scamming for a far shorter amount of time than we were a nation who let whatever convincing salesmen have their way with things.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 1, 2024

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

All hell has broken loose…

…in Trump’s pants! :itwaspoo::shrek:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pixaal posted:

Context:

Thank you, I'll pencil it in (orange color)

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

All hell has broken loose…

…in Trump’s pants! :itwaspoo::shrek:

TOTAL EXONERATION

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

You have to understand - what made America seem like a prosperous place where anyone could make their fortune - i.e. the American Dream - was ACTUALLY a time of such immense lack of federal oversight or regulation that scammers and charlatans were easily able to make a fortune off marks and move along without any consequences. There's a reason the Ponzi scheme was invented in America.

Essentially, people lying to make their fortune and then bailing is baked into our cultural DNA.

It took me almost 40 years, my entire life, of living in America to realize that this place is just a free-for-all zone for liars and scammers, probably to keep them away from everyone else.

Being born in America is basically being livestock bred to keep the gears of capitalism grinding as both an employee and a consumer. We exist so those above us can generate wealth off of us.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

kazil posted:

TOTAL EXONERATION

TOTAL DEFECATION

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
All hell would break loose if Trump can even remember what that is :confused:

He's releasing a new shoe brand, called hell. They're not red, they're coated entirely in ketchup.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Did all hell break loose yet? I've got my floaties, my box of granola, and $3 just in case.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Granola bars or just loose granola?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alison...sh=1593bb0f4bc3

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I love that Trump could just walk away with 3.5 billion dollars and everyone would be happy, but he just can't help himself but throw in some shady scheme to screw over his business partners so he can make 3.55 billion.

he really is the dumbest motherfucker in the room no matter where he goes isnt he

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Essentially, people lying to make their fortune and then bailing is baked into our cultural DNA. We've been a nation of 'honest people' with regulations to prevent scamming for a far shorter amount of time than we were a nation who let whatever convincing salesmen have their way with things.

Also the real reason why the Old West is seen as a time of freedom and plenty and opportunity, the stuff of movies and legends

No pesky laws to get in the way, just shoot some bandits/mexicans/native people and take their poo poo. And be celebrated as a Good Guy for it. Land and gold free for the asking. The American Dream

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was the question "What is Trump's brain?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

:getin: She's gonna hold his feet to the fire more than his Fraud cause, lmao.

And if he seriously didn't have $100 million to pay, hes not gonna be able to pay this either.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/AnnaBower/status/1763545401422967092

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Realistically, what is the mechanism that activates if Trump just doesn't pay? I ask as a person who has never raped and then been taken to court for defaming my victim to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
I'm legitimately curious what kind of impact Trump declaring bankruptcy for the 7th (12th? Google results are unclear) time will have on his base. On the one hand, he's spent the past decade building up the image of a strongman that's Good At Capitalism and Very Rich And Successful and Smart Business Boy, and filing chapter 11 undercuts all of those narratives.

On the other, I'm not sure his base cares anymore. He openly admitted to cheating on his taxes during his debate with Hillary, so there's a chance that his abusing the bankruptcy process (again) just reinforces all of those narratives ("He's filing for bankruptcy because that's what Good At Capitalism and Smart Business Boys do in order to stay Very Rich And Successful").

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Total Party Kill posted:

Realistically, what is the mechanism that activates if Trump just doesn't pay? I ask as a person who has never raped and then been taken to court for defaming my victim to the tune of tens of millions of dollars.

i think he goes to sausage court to argue his position

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Froghammer posted:

I'm legitimately curious what kind of impact Trump declaring bankruptcy for the 7th (12th? Google results are unclear) time will have on his base.

"Another genius move by the smartest business man on the planet."

ianskate
Sep 22, 2002

Run away before you drown!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It took me almost 40 years, my entire life, of living in America to realize that this place is just a free-for-all zone for liars and scammers, probably to keep them away from everyone else.

Being born in America is basically being livestock bred to keep the gears of capitalism grinding as both an employee and a consumer. We exist so those above us can generate wealth off of us.

Sadly. Completely agree, same age as well. I'm also realizing it's probably why the fygm ladder kicking mentality is so prevalent in the boomer generation. Even if they didn't "realize" it as you have, they overwhelmingly embraced it and probably at the same point.

e: The American Dream is/was an imaginary thing used to exploit others.

ianskate fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 1, 2024

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Loose granola! Just dump it right into my mouth like a horse.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Froghammer posted:

I'm legitimately curious what kind of impact Trump declaring bankruptcy for the 7th (12th? Google results are unclear) time will have on his base. On the one hand, he's spent the past decade building up the image of a strongman that's Good At Capitalism and Very Rich And Successful and Smart Business Boy, and filing chapter 11 undercuts all of those narratives.

On the other, I'm not sure his base cares anymore. He openly admitted to cheating on his taxes during his debate with Hillary, so there's a chance that his abusing the bankruptcy process (again) just reinforces all of those narratives ("He's filing for bankruptcy because that's what Good At Capitalism and Smart Business Boys do in order to stay Very Rich And Successful").

Nothing Trump can do will lose him any support. He's filling chapter 11 to cleverly get out of paying the fines from the WORST WITCH-HUNT IN HISTORY. Just like when he cheats on his taxes it's because he's smart and all successful business people do it.

Like all republican voters, he's a temporarily embarrassed billionaire, and it's all the immigrants' fault.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Froghammer posted:

Back around 2010 I had a chuddy acquaintance tell me all about how Donald Trump was his idol because "he lost his entire fortune multiple times, had to declare bankruptcy, and built it all back up again. He was down to sleeping on friends' couches. He's a hero, every American should aspire to be like him"

That's the legend they tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

Did all hell break loose yet? I've got my floaties, my box of granola, and $3 just in case.

Scott Presler rear end survival list