Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Two-star reviews of Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank is where I found this:

Like, does the back of the book not explain the book well enough for someone to realize it's not a beach book? Also, who reads Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank for the first time as an adult without knowing any of the context? It was assigned reading in middle school, and we watched the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Air Skwirl posted:

Like, does the back of the book not explain the book well enough for someone to realize it's not a beach book? Also, who reads Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank for the first time as an adult without knowing any of the context? It was assigned reading in middle school, and we watched the movie.

I don't know if it's required reading outside of America, and even then, I can see a LOT of schools today maybe skipping that chapter of history entirely. The fact that they call it "holiday" instead of vacation makes me think it's a UK reader.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Nothing to do with comics but everything to do with bad bad reviews

https://www.outsideonline.com/adventure-travel/national-parks/worst-national-parks-reviews/

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Adventures into the Unknown #87 (1957)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CzarChasm posted:

I don't know if it's required reading outside of America, and even then, I can see a LOT of schools today maybe skipping that chapter of history entirely. The fact that they call it "holiday" instead of vacation makes me think it's a UK reader.

How the gently caress does the UK skip over World War 2 in their education system?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Air Skwirl posted:

How the gently caress does the UK skip over World War 2 in their education system?

We run out of time in the semester

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Schindler's List was NOT a good choice to keep the kids entertained while we smoked weed in the bathroom.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Adventures into the Unknown #87 (1957)

Mr. Astronomer's too fancy to put on a costume for the costume party, apparently.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
He's not actually an astronomer, just his costume is very close to how you imagine astronomers would dress.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Air Skwirl posted:

The British history curriculum very much has the opposite problem.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

The British history curriculum very much has the opposite problem.

"I'm sorry, colonial-what? There's no time for that we have to talk about how bad it was that the Germans bombed us."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Bruceski posted:

"I'm sorry, colonial-what? There's no time for that we have to talk about how bad it was that the Germans bombed us."

I do sorta wonder what British history classes are like. In America we gloss over a lot of poo poo, but there's a lot of focus on the Civil War, which means we have to acknowledge slavery (though I think I knew about slavery and the civil war well before I learned Washington and Jefferson were slave owners, and no one told me about Sally Hemmings until college), and the Trail of Tears being horrific.

Do they just skip straight from Battle of Hastings, Battle of Agincourt, then the Blitz?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Air Skwirl posted:

I do sorta wonder what British history classes are like. In America we gloss over a lot of poo poo, but there's a lot of focus on the Civil War, which means we have to acknowledge slavery (though I think I knew about slavery and the civil war well before I learned Washington and Jefferson were slave owners, and no one told me about Sally Hemmings until college), and the Trail of Tears being horrific.

Do they just skip straight from Battle of Hastings, Battle of Agincourt, then the Blitz?

In my US high school history classes I remember the main issue being that everything was presented as resolved. "Slavery was bad, then Lincoln got shot, then it was all over. Civil Rights oppression was bad, and then MLK got shot, and then racism was over. The Holocaust was terrible, but it happened way over there and afterward nobody was antisemitic again."

Trail of Tears was treated as a sad end to Native American oppression, and I grew up in the middle of a bunch of reservations. You could see that it wasn't over every day.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bruceski posted:

In my US high school history classes I remember the main issue being that everything was presented as resolved. "Slavery was bad, then Lincoln got shot, then it was all over. Civil Rights oppression was bad, and then MLK got shot, and then racism was over. The Holocaust was terrible, but it happened way over there and afterward nobody was antisemitic again."

Trail of Tears was treated as a sad end to Native American oppression, and I grew up in the middle of a bunch of reservations. You could see that it wasn't over every day.

Ah yes, I, too went to public school in the south

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Ah yes, I, too went to public school in the south

I was gonna say, depending on the state you live in, how much you acknowledge slavery can vary...

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In my honors US history course -- junior year, so just two years before college, and I want to reemphasize this was an honors course -- we learned the reason we had Iron Curtain-era Eastern Europe (which was a thing back in the dark ages when I was in high school) is because Roosevelt tried to drink Stalin under the table at the Yalta conference. This came complete with knowing winks and comments about "those Russians and their vodka."

We also spent a lot of time on slavery and its evils, strange for a school in Texas, but it was a Catholic school so that explains it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my public school history education consisted of running through a hilariously inaccurate version of the revolutionary war every year and then just barely getting through a hilariously inaccurate version of the civil war. it never even got to ww1, much less the civil rights movement.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Air Skwirl posted:

from what I remember of history we did in no particular order: 1066 and William The Conqueror, Henry VIII and the Tudor/Stuart period, a bit on the Renaissance, the War Of The Roses, maybe The Peasants Revolt, a lot on the Industrial revolution, some on WW1 & the English Civil War. Bear in mind, I'm trying to recall history lessons I did 30+ years ago, but those were the ones I remember and there wasn't a lot on WW2

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my public school history education consisted of running through a hilariously inaccurate version of the revolutionary war every year and then just barely getting through a hilariously inaccurate version of the civil war. it never even got to ww1, much less the civil rights movement.

This was my experience except the revolutionary war was an exhaustive version that got slightly more accurate each year because we lived in New England. Everything else was hilariously inaccurate but at least we got to learn about the stamp tax and Shay's rebellion I guess.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #9 (1989)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Marc Spector: Moon Knight #9 (1989)

Oh, nice. This got me to look up this series on Marvel Unlimited again and it looks like since last time I looked they've gotten around to uploading 51 of the 60 issues. For a long time, this big and important volume in MK history had only a handful of issues from late in the volume and that was only because they were part of crossovers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Why was Moon Knight anyway?

e: Oh apparently they were just told "we need a cape guy for the "horror" papers" and that's what they came up with.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 28, 2024

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

from what I remember of history we did in no particular order: 1066 and William The Conqueror, Henry VIII and the Tudor/Stuart period, a bit on the Renaissance, the War Of The Roses, maybe The Peasants Revolt, a lot on the Industrial revolution, some on WW1 & the English Civil War. Bear in mind, I'm trying to recall history lessons I did 30+ years ago, but those were the ones I remember and there wasn't a lot on WW2

US expat, in UK-curriculum schools from 3rd grade (1970) to 9th (1977)

Concur on the above, although we also had the various invasions by the Angles & Romans thrown in as well.

Spent at least a week on the War Of The Roses. Read everything Rosemary Sutcliffe wrote (highly recommend her historical quasi-fiction)

Had no US history until 10th grade. Knew nothing about the Civil War except that there was one; my US History teacher looked at me like I had lobsters growing out of my forehead. I in turn thought "Antietam" had to be a typo.

I'll say this: after several years of UK history I had a complete understanding of why the Founding Fathers were determined to separate church & state.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Feb 28, 2024

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
From what I remember of GCSE History ~20 years ago, it was all the bits between ww1 and 2, so lots of essays on how the treaty of versailles and great depression led to the rise of extremist views, but once bombs started being dropped not so much. So Hitler and the holocaust were covered, but not the aftermath.

Also I didn't get to go to the holocaust museum in Germany, because the coach company only sent us one vehicle by mistake.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why was Moon Knight anyway?

e: Oh apparently they were just told "we need a cape guy for the "horror" papers" and that's what they came up with.

I thought he was originally a Werewolf by Night villain.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I think Werewolf by Night qualifies as "horror"?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah werewolf by night is a horror title.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Strange Tales #158 (1967)

House of Secrets #57 (1962)

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Darthemed posted:

Strange Tales #158 (1967)
This was from the dramatic six-issue run where AIM had stolen Fury’s lower torso.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Defenders #77 (1979)

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Darthemed posted:

The Defenders #77 (1979)

"For fucks sake Heather, I know you know how to talk like a normal person."

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Not sure whether to read that in a Dr Orpheus or Galactic Inquisitor voice.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 - Chapter 47

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thought of those ants from "Them!"

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Ascendance of a Bookworm: Part 2 - Chapter 47

It exploded?!

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

It exploded, Dave. The horse exploded.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
The horse? Exploded...

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Gordon Bennett. Yes, the horse. The horse exploded, Dave.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #142 (1967)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Clark, I know you think of Superboy as your real identity, but this is ego tripping to the Nth degree.